***NON-HEARTS*** January Transfer Window 2022

BackOfTheNet

Just now, Phil D. Corners said:

Agreed. What I feel about the FOH and fan ownership is that we have a club that has funds coming in but doesn’t need to return a profit on it. 

The club needs to be run sensibly. The goal is build a team that performs on the pitch and win games. 

Precisely.

Of course, if we get a massive offer for a player then we should probably take it but we then use it to reinvest in the squad.

Even Liverpool did that with Coutinho and look what they did with the money.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• TheBigO

• jamboinglasgow

Naisys Tackle
55 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Other than Celtic we've done better than anyone over the last decade with net transfer profit on fee's paid/received of 5.6m, over the last 10 years the numbers are Celtic 46.5m profit, Rangers 22.1m loss, Hibs 2.2m profit, Aberdeen close to us with 5.1m profit. 

It's not just about the fee's you get it's also about not spunking John McGinn style money on utter shite that gets punted for nothing at the end of their contract

Motherwell have made over £7m  in that time.    They've also spend considerably less than us and done relatively better in the league. 

Edited by Robbies Tackle

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

And yet our best signing in years is a 37 year old goalkeeper.

Aye. 

Great point. 

9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Come the Revolution the first people up against the wall will be those 2 tossers on Sky Sports with their ipads, waffling on about potential tranfer targets for the EPL and doing it with the manner of someone reporting on a major event.

"It is my understanding that Valencia are looking for £1trillion....blah blah blah"  **** off

Haha, thankfully shield myself from that by not having Sky Sports!

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Motherwell have made over £7m  in that time.    They've also spend considerably less than us and done relatively better in the league. 

Motherwell have done really well recently, especially after their administration where iirc there was no points penalty at the time. 

Wouldn't swap their future for ours tho. 

There as Likley to finish 11th next season as they are 4th or 5th this season. 

We aren't the best at selling  players no one is saying that but we are not the worse. 

Folk also seem to  forget that we also redeveloped the stadium recently. Only club to carry out such major and expensive works. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Naisys Tackle
Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Motherwell have done really well recently, especially after their administration where iirc there was no points penalty at the time. 

Wouldn't swap their future for ours tho. 

There as Likley to finish 11th next season as they are 4th or 5th this season. 

We aren't the bes at selling youth players no one is sting that but we are not the worse. 

Folk also seem to  forget that we also redeveloped the stadium recently. Only club to carry out such major and expensive works. 

I wouldn't disagree with any of your post mate, it's not the statement I was replying to.  

To be honest if we are genuinely thinking about growing and I proving as a team then we should be looking at who we signed this past summer and saying eith stability and increased budget we can get better than Beni and Devlin in 2 years, so if we get the chance to profit it isn't an issue.

I know it will take a while to get our heads around this stability and relative wealth after previous donuts but that's how we should look at it.

With each new window we can sign better players than the last window.

Natty and the Japanese lad we are targeting seem to back this up IMO. I mean some Aussies are saying Natty was the top young prospect in their league.

7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Brentford were starting at a much lower base, Ofc we want to sell players for money but a better team is more important for a multitude of reasons. 

The English Market is also inflated, shite teams or championship teams can sell players for £20m plus. 

In Scotland far harder. 

Your £5-£10m figure is at the top end, very top end and I'm being polite. 

We also aren't the only club looking at undervalued talent, for us to identify that consistently and attract that when there are thousands of clubs Litterally doing the same is not a guarantee of success. 

Even in Scotland, if not Aberdeen and Hibs, Celtic and rangers will be doing the same as will a hatful of championship clubs. 

We won't always get the best when looking at hat market. 

If comparing English teams ( unsure why folk need to do that as imo it's irrelevant) but a big team like Everton or spurs is a more apt comparison. 

How can they build a team to compete for the top 4 or the league? 

Selling their best players for money is all good, but the team suffers and they don't progress as a team despite spending even more in some cases. 

Motherwell in Scotland can apply a strategy more like Brentford, give youngsters a chance, give them a season or two to develop, if the team is anywhere from 3rd to 7th, even 9th  everyone is OK. 

Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs want 3rd. They also want to be consisistant, get to finals, progress in Europe and at the the vert least be the best of the rest every year. That on it's own is clearly a challenge. Relative Instant success and results are required 

Selling your best players hinders this massively. 

Rangers and celtic have fairly settled teams and grow at their pace. 

Most successful teams have a settled team. 

Punting players at the earliest opportunity might help the bank balance but we will struggle to improve to what the club and fans want, we simply won't build a team. 

If we sell one or 2 every year and add we will be doing well, but to sell players for the most money we will need-

Them tied down on contracts 

The team playing well and high in the league 

Playing in Europe 

That needs a good team( good players now), if the team is shite, getting players to stay and extend contracts, attracting better players and selling them for money is far more difficult and more difficult to replace. 

We are on the right path but a good team is the 1st priority, we need a good team over selling players 100%  for me. 

Fair enough i just don't see us getting closer with that philosophy. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Fair enough i just don't see us getting closer with that philosophy. 

You don't think us being a better team because of  better players will help us get closer? 

😳

Fair enough. 

7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yeah, far more fans seem concerned with contract length and potential value "now a days." 

I want us to win to win games and improve year on year. 

We all do, but unfortunately the days of building a team in Scotland are done. Hickey, Patterson,  Ramsey,  Kerr Smith. A handful of good games for their team and they are off, generally to warm a bench down south.  It drives me nuts.

Hibs played 2 bounce games today and no Porteous in either squad.

Also, apparently Mueller looked well off the pace. American Vanecek incoming.

1 minute ago, Locky said:

a night owl burning the candle at both ends

Guest ToqueJambo
19 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Wow. It sounds so easy. I guess the 6-7 clubs he've bought have all changed the status quo in their leagues and are now challengers? A quick look at wikipedia shows maybe one of those clubs has improved consistently but not dramatically. The rest seem to have got worse after maybe one or a half season of doing a bit better than before they took over.

Conway seems to be another American, like Gordon and co here,  who simply doesn't understand football, let alone Scottish football, and thinks it's just like US sports. Moneyball can't work with football because football is a game of chance when it comes down to it. Stats and data only get you so far.

In the US because scoring is so easy and frequent all they have is data and stats to work out why one team won and the other didn't. In terms of transfers Moneyball is what we call "taking a punt" on a player who has lost his way, isn't wanted by his current club or may have potential. All Scottish clubs already do this and have been forever. These days you can use data to identify potential signings with particular attributes, as we did with Devlin and maybe Beni, but there are still a huge amount of other factors involved in making a signing decision.

It's not like Billy Beane and his formula for finding players at all, but that's what these guys seem to be trying to do. Ultimately it's down to who has the most money, which I think is what drives the Americans mad because in US sports there are rules to prevent one or two teams dominating. With few financial restrictions compared to US sports, top football teams will always spend their way out of trouble.

Guest ToqueJambo
52 minutes ago, Locky said:

Was the Norwegian wonder kid playing? There's a very weird article in the EN today with the academy director at Bode-Glimt talking about what an amazing prospect he is and he would have been in their first team squad this season, yet at the same time he seemed to have done everything he could to get him off their books and looks delighted to have got 400k for him.

52 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You don't think us being a better team because of  better players will help us get closer? 

😳

Fair enough. 

Well let's see how the season ends? 

I'm talking long term, let's see how far we go in Scottish Cup, and what are league position is at the end of season 👍

Guest ToqueJambo
19 hours ago, Hectormasson said:

Maybe just mcginn, but hate our players going for nearly f, a,  

if McGinn had got injured like Souttar Hibs would have got nowt as well. Motherwell almost got nowt for Turnbull but he recovered quickly enough to still need a fee to shift and he'd just signed a new contract. Souttar signed an extension with us after this first long-term injury. Then he got injured again not that long after. By the time he recovered and proved his fitness second time around he was in his last year. We just got very unlucky with the timing of everything with Souttar in terms of getting money for him.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Wow. It sounds so easy. I guess the 6-7 clubs he've bought have all changed the status quo in their leagues and are now challengers? A quick look at wikipedia shows maybe one of those clubs has improved consistently but not dramatically. The rest seem to have got worse after maybe one or a half season of doing a bit better than before they took over.

Conway seems to be another American, like Gordon and co here,  who simply doesn't understand football, let alone Scottish football, and thinks it's just like US sports. Moneyball can't work with football because football is a game of chance when it comes down to it. Stats and data only get you so far.

In the US because scoring is so easy and frequent all they have is data and stats to work out why one team won and the other didn't. In terms of transfers Moneyball is what we call "taking a punt" on a player who has lost his way, isn't wanted by his current club or may have potential. All Scottish clubs already do this and have been forever. These days you can use data to identify potential signings with particular attributes, as we did with Devlin and maybe Beni, but there are still a huge amount of other factors involved in making a signing decision.

It's not like Billy Beane and his formula for finding players at all, but that's what these guys seem to be trying to do. Ultimately it's down to who has the most money, which I think is what drives the Americans mad because in US sports there are rules to prevent one or two teams dominating. With few financial restrictions compared to US sports, top football teams will always spend their way out of trouble.

Right but he's showing how you can challenge in the long term, so do you have a way we can do that now? 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Right but he's showing how you can challenge in the long term, so do you have a way we can do that now? 

He's not at all proven that's how you can challenge in the long-term. The club he's had longest - Barnsley - is worse than when he took over. I do have the way we can do that - lots and lots of money. Otherwise any success in terms of a genuine title win or challenge will be one season only - a one-off miracle season that we've experienced once. The moment we have success of the type he's talking about, clubs will come in for our manager and best players and we have to start again. The only protection against that is to spend lots of money every season to compete with the better contracts on offer elsewhere.

Edited by ToqueJambo

He's not at all proven that's how you can challenge in the long-term. The club he's had longest - Barnsley - is worse than when he took over. I do have the way we can do that - lots and lots of money. Otherwise any success in terms of a genuine title win or challenge will be one season only - a one-off miracle season that we've experienced once. The moment we have success of the type he's talking about, clubs will come in for our manager and best players and we have to start again. The only protection against that is to spend lots of money every season to compete with the better contracts on offer elsewhere.

Despite having the second lowest budget in league? He managed to take Barnsley too the plays offs last season, sold the likes of Hendry etc on for a profit with his Belgium team. 

Okay it's looking like Barnsley will be relegated but you have to remember the English Championship is far more competitive than our league, losing val and mowatt was a big loss this season, but they have good assets like Woodrow, Morris, Styles is wanted by Celtic. 

They might get relegated they might stay up, but don't you find it remarkable that a team like Barnsley who have the second lowest wage budget in the league, we're in the play offs last season, and we're a inch away from the Premier League. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Right and who is going to throw money at us to do that? 

...could be a good news day!

Riley McGree's proposed Celtic move is in doubt after Middlesbrough launched a last-ditch offer for the Australia international midfielder who plays for MLS franchise Charlotte FC. (Daily Mail) - :rofl: Middlesbrourgh! :rofl:

Hibs forward Martin Boyle is angry at being denied the chance to discuss a £2m move to Saudi Arabian side Al-Faisaly and wants showdown talks with owner Ron Gordon. (Sun) - :rofl:happy days at the methadome :rofl:

The Treasurer
30 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Riley McGree's proposed Celtic move is in doubt after Middlesbrough launched a last-ditch offer for the Australia international midfielder who plays for MLS franchise Charlotte FC. (Daily Mail) - :rofl: Middlesbrourgh! :rofl:

Hibs forward Martin Boyle is angry at being denied the chance to discuss a £2m move to Saudi Arabian side Al-Faisaly and wants showdown talks with owner Ron Gordon. (Sun) - :rofl:happy days at the methadome :rofl:

Is Charlotte FC not the club that the wee team were meant to have a tie-up with.?

Wonder if Boyle will throw himself on the floor of Ron's office to try and get his move

4 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Is Charlotte FC not the club that the wee team were meant to have a tie-up with.?

Wonder if Boyle will throw himself on the floor of Ron's office to try and get his move

Wasn't aware of that, although it wouldn't surprise me that the clubs they have a 'tie-in' with, all seem to want to deal with everyone else!... at least all is not rosy down Fester Road.

14 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

He does have form for that sort of thing right enough

23 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agreed. 

Some folks  first thought on a new signing seems to be " good age, hopefully we can sell him for money on a season or 2".

You’ve made good points there. First and foremost is to build a team and a back up squad that’s doing well, by doing well I mean solid 3rd pushing the OF a bit harder and the odd trophy. 

Good players in a good team will always realise more than good players in a poor team IMO. Also when you’ve got a good team, selling an asset doesn’t hurt you so much. 

Takes a while to build a good team where you can get away with selling assets now and then without overly effecting the status and potential  of the team. We’re not there, but that’s what we’re trying to do IMO. Maybe Beni etc WILL make us a bit of money at some stage, but sell him now and all your achieving is having to get another Beni. Ideally you’d want the next Beni in place ready to take over before you sell the current Beni.

Its all secondary stuff though and it can all wait. No1 objective is to get a team in the park that people notice.

Creasing myself at the reports of Boyle being raging with big Ron for not letting him move to Saudi Arabia 😆

Heard Mueller was pish in a bounce game yesterday too, from a pal who plays for Hibs women. 

Lovely. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Kerr Smith of Dundee utd to Villa for 2 mill apparently. For his age his size and attributes are all set him up to be a great player - was absolutely rag dolled by Ginnelly in the 5-2 game against us though.

6 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Kerr Smith of Dundee utd to Villa for 2 mill apparently. For his age his size and attributes are all set him up to be a great player - was absolutely rag dolled by Ginnelly in the 5-2 game against us though.

This may not be popular and there's the argument that we'd rather keep our good players and have them playing up here so they don't get lost in a sea of u23 nonsense in England, but it's good to see English teams putting actual money into Scottish football.

Not sure how I feel about it overall but at least it's proper money.

23 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Creasing myself at the reports of Boyle being raging with big Ron for not letting him move to Saudi Arabia 😆

Heard Mueller was pish in a bounce game yesterday too, from a pal who plays for Hibs women. 

Lovely. 

Something wrong at Hibs.  Know a couple of guys maybe one step removed from the goings on and it doesn't sound overly rosey in Lochend.

Shame really

15 hours ago, Locky said:

He was probably thinking about his next quote on Twitter.

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Just clocked Boyle's comments, trouble at mill I hope 😁

If I had the chance to tripple or quadruple my wage and didnt get to go then id be raging too, hopefully then end of Boyle at hibs is on the horizon, diving ratbag.

13 minutes ago, Bluesy1874 said:

He was probably thinking about his next quote on Twitter.

Wondering what kind of bird he can stick his hand up next.

4 minutes ago, Barack said:

Boyle's in the same boat as Souttar tbf. He knows he's another cruciate away from possibly ending a career. That would make it 3?

At some stage, either he or Hibs will have to capitalise on his current value. Hibs naturally think he's worth more. But whatever the Saudi's offered would sort him out for life financially, you'd imagine.

He only has to look at Ryan McGowan. Average footballer (lovely guy though), but with a couple of savvy Asian moves, has earned more than most in Hearts & Hibs' squads will ever see.

A rather pleasing aspect is those shitehawks thinking that by disclosing their proposed salary for Boyle, the Saudi's aren't doing themselves any favours if they want Boyle on the cheap. They're playing a blinder if you ask me. Boyle will want to go understandably, and if Hibs stand in his way then he will just down tools. For that reason, they can't afford not to just offload him.

Superb stuff.

13 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

If I had the chance to tripple or quadruple my wage and didnt get to go then id be raging too, hopefully then end of Boyle at hibs is on the horizon, diving ratbag.

In Hibs defence :sick: he shouldn't have signed that new contract or should have been savvy enough to include clauses that would allow him to discuss such a potential move.  He just looks like a greedy idiot, obviously got his agent to disclose his release clause in the summer to get a bumper contract.

46 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Something wrong at Hibs.  Know a couple of guys maybe one step removed from the goings on and it doesn't sound overly rosey in Lochend.

Shame really

Saw the word "Livid" which is nice 😁

He'll be away now. Wouldnt surprise me if he puts in a transfer request. And hopefully the Saudis low-ball them once that happens, and that they don't even get the £2M they've just rejected 😂

6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Saw the word "Livid" which is nice 😁

He'll be away now. Wouldnt surprise me if he puts in a transfer request. And hopefully the Saudis low-ball them once that happens, and that they don't even get the £2M they've just rejected 😂

Slurp slurp, yummy tears.  Even the snotters taste good!

And they'll be banking on the yank owl fiddler and an expensive Norwegian Mogli to replace him.  Nisbet, Doig and Porteous losing value by the minute too (due to being found out as pish)

18 minutes ago, Barack said:

Good, boy. You'll no doubt see a couple of boobies, some tits & if you're lucky..a shag.

Ornithology. It's fantastic.

Anything is better than what I last saw in Hive. :cornette_dog:

35 minutes ago, Barack said:

Good, boy. You'll no doubt see a couple of boobies, some tits & if you're lucky..a shag.

Ornithology. It's fantastic.

Watch out for thrush though

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, gordiegords said:

In theory but his wife playing for Hibs might be a part of it, can’t see the team in Saudi having a womens team? 

The Treasurer
11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

In theory but his wife playing for Hibs might be a part of it, can’t see the team in Saudi having a womens team? 

Can't see him passing up on £30k per week just because his wife wants a wee kickabout on a Sunday

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Haha no chance!