***NON-HEARTS*** January Transfer Window 2022

BackOfTheNet

The Grim Reaper
31 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

As we've seen many times, it's not as easy as that. Personally I want to see Beni playing for us for his whole contract as he's shown to be a terrific player. With a 3 year contract we have the opportunity to sign players like Devlin to complement him and help get the best out of him. If he leaves for free after 3 great years I'd rather that than 1.5 great years and a couple of million quid. We need to look at how JJ built his team, and to a lesser extent Doddie, adding better players and retaining most our best ones year on year. That's how good teams are built.

I disagree respectfully. We need to start selling some of these guys for ££ and reinvesting some of the money back into the team. We have a proper football department now, give them some money to spend rather than continually shopping in the bargain basement. 

I know it’s hard to see good players go, but with Savage and co. hopefully they can be replaced with similar or better quality. 

Edited by The Grim Reaper

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• TheBigO

• jamboinglasgow

3 hours ago, Leisham38 said:

Norwich signed that new Hibs signing in 2019, he’s made zero appearances for them but been loaned to now 6 different clubs where he has managed a handful of appearances at each. 
Journeyman, he’ll warm the bench and step in for Porteous bans, be back at Norwich in the summer.

Their recent loan signings haven't worked, nothing to do with Maloney though.

Nathan Wood is back at Boro & Hibs fans wish that James Scott was back at Hull.

1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

John McGinn is the only one I can think of that they’ve had decent money for? Prior to that maybe Scott Brown?

The issue is agents, we don’t need to sell, so our players run the risk of missing out of moves if they sign long term and teams don’t match our valuations. For example, Souttar signs a 3 year deal then some team comes in with a bid and we say no chance, even if they were paying x4 the salary we can Souttar can’t move unless we take the fee.

That said I don’t feel that comfortable with Souttar not signing, we’ve been very good to him and I feel he’s cheating us a bit.

Steven Fletcher in July 09, final fee with addons was 4.23m per transfermarkt. Their last big fee before McGinn. Brown was sold in 07. 

5 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Their recent loan signings haven't worked, nothing to do with Maloney though.

Nathan Wood is back at Boro & Hibs fans wish that James Scott was back at Hull.

That was two bad loans plus had totally forgot about James Scott 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, The Grim Reaper said:

I disagree respectfully. We need to start getting some 

Fair enough. We have started getting some though. We've sold two players for over a million in the last 5 years or so. Am I right in saying we're the only non-OF club to have done that in the last 5 years? Maybe Motherwell have or maybe ST J last season (with disastrous consequences)? Keep our best players as long as possible IMO unless someone comes in with game-changing money.

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, jimbojambo said:

Hibs give everyone a long contract on the basis of their potential resale value. We got burnt doing that under Levein with Martin and Damour and are more cautious. If we had given Souttar a long contract after an injury hit few years and he had got injured we would have been pilloried. Long term we have got it right and Hibs just keep adding to the payroll and gamble on future transfers

We just gave a 3.5 year deal to a player today.

3 Years to Beni'

3 Years McKay

Gino another 2 years

3 Years to Devlin

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Fair enough. We have started getting some though. We've sold two players for over a million in the last 5 years or so. Am I right in saying we're the only non-OF club to have done that in the last 5 years? Maybe Motherwell have or maybe ST J last season (with disastrous consequences)? Keep our best players as long as possible IMO unless someone comes in with game-changing money.

Aberdeen sold McKenna and Cosgrove for over £2m both last season. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

We just gave a 3.5 year deal to a player today.

3 Years to Beni'

3 Years McKay

Gino another 2 years

3 Years to Devlin

McKay iirc is only 2 years. 

8 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Steven Fletcher in July 09, final fee with addons was 4.23m per transfermarkt. Their last big fee before McGinn. Brown was sold in 07. 

So their 3 biggest transfers in the last 15 years fetched just a little more than one Craig Gordon to Sunderland. I think this Hibs sell players for big money all the time might just be another myth?

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

McKay iirc is only 2 years. 

Apologies.  Point is there though, we suddenly haven't stopped long contracts. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

Aberdeen have been at least a top 4 club for about a decade and been one of Scotlands top clubs and in Europe. 

Like it or not we've been a bit of a yo yo team since admin and players value will reflect that. 

Your comparing apples and oranges, even then, when you throw in £650k for Lafferty and £300k for walker we aren't far behind in player profit over the last 5 years. 

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

So their 3 biggest transfers in the last 15 years fetched just a little more than one Craig Gordon to Sunderland. I think this Hibs sell players for big money all the time might just be another myth?

Is it not mainly because the majority of their better players are usually on loan (from Celtic)? 

They, along with Aberdeen will make a few £ over the next couple of years though if not this month. 

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aberdeen have been at least a top 4 club for about a decade and been one of Scotlands top clubs and in Europe. 

Like it or not we've been a bit of a yo yo team since admin and players value will reflect that. 

Your comparing apples and oranges, even then, when you throw in £650k for Lafferty and £300k for walker we aren't far behind in player profit over the last 5 years. 

I was replying to the question of are we the only team.....

Bazzas right boot

Apologies.  Point is there though, we suddenly haven't stopped long contracts. 

Good players on long contracts is good thing. 

Bad players not so much. 

Contracts are not the issue, the players are. 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Was Cosgrove confirmed that much. Jesus, had they seen him play? So only us and Aberdeen have sold more than one player for over a million recently? 

Naisys Tackle
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Was Cosgrove confirmed that much. Jesus, had they seen him play? So only us and Aberdeen have sold more than one player for over a million recently? 

They bid £2m for both him and Kevin Hibsedit.  I'm not sure, they are the first club that came to mind.  Motherwell sold Scott for over £1.5m, Turnbull for £3m, Kipre for £1m and I'm sure Moult went for decent money?  

The Grim Reaper
2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

They bid £2m for both him and Kevin Hibsedit.  I'm not sure, they are the first club that came to mind.  Motherwell sold Scott for over £1.5m, Turnbull for £3m, Kipre for £1m and I'm sure Moult went for decent money?  

Shankland for around a million also. 

Bazzas right boot

Correct, they've done well to survive, played youth and the kept the lights on but are shite and will do nothing. 

Again, you're comparing apple and oranges on terms of clubs ambitions. 

Naisys Tackle
11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Good players on long contracts is good thing. 

Bad players not so much. 

Contracts are not the issue, the players are. 

I agree.  It's a gamble if every/any player is going to be good though same goes for any club giving the contracts.   It's been said that we have stepped away from long deals where it looks a mixture of loans and long deals. 

15 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

They certainly didn't sell anybody big for a long-time between Fletcher and McGinn. Went into sharp decline until the cup win revived fortunes. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Yes, I'm sure Hibs turned down 2m for Nisbet 🤣 Aside from Turnbull I don't think these fees are right. Unless there are "Could rise to.." fees which don't count. Anyhow, if these fees are by some miracle correct, they've hardly made Motherwell better. 

Naisys Tackle
Just now, The Grim Reaper said:

Shankland for around a million also. 

Aye that's Dundee Utd though so only 1 over £1m.  Dykes at Livi £2m.

Thats going to show that for all the chat Hibernimyth must be one of the lowest in the table for selling players for decent money at this time. 

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yes, I'm sure Hibs turned down 2m for Nisbet 🤣 Aside from Turnbull I don't think these fees are right. Unless there are "Could rise to.." fees which don't count. Anyhow, if these fees are by some miracle correct, they've hardly made Motherwell better. 

Motherwell's Cedric Kipre is unveiled at Wigan after signing three-year deal - BBC Sport

Who is James Scott? Hull City's latest signing profiled - Hull Live (hulldailymail.co.uk)

They are 4th in the league so selling three players for loads of money certainly hasn't hindered them much long term - that wasn't the discussion either. 

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

How can you compare those two players. One has been injury free and flying for years and one has just had recovered from his third snapped Achilles. Hearts couldn’t offer a deal. He never knew himself if he would ever play again.

Amd Hibs protected themselves? By desperately handing out new deals and 3 year extensions to every Tom Dick and Harry?  Have a wee look at the dross they have given extensions to recently. If you add up all the money wasted on giving shite like Stevenson, McGregor, JDH long term deals then that will negate any fee they get for Boyle. 

Pretty sure Boyles had a couple of bad knee injuries. 

Guest ToqueJambo

2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Motherwell's Cedric Kipre is unveiled at Wigan after signing three-year deal - BBC Sport

Who is James Scott? Hull City's latest signing profiled - Hull Live (hulldailymail.co.uk)

They are 4th in the league so selling three players for loads of money certainly hasn't hindered them much long term - that wasn't the discussion either. 

World's gone mad. I refuse to believe that. If true, at least it proves there are many, many clubs much, much worse than us when it comes to transfer dealings.

How much did the vermin get for Cummings? That was over a million I'm sure?

I'm pretty confident going forward that Savage will make sure we get returns on the players we bring in. Been really impressed with him so far. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Scott Leitch said:

Pretty sure Boyles had a couple of bad knee injuries. 

Boyle was fully fit when he delayed signing a new contract until the last possible minute at the start of last season. Only signed it because Aberdeen were the only team in for him 🤣 

Glamorgan Jambo

I’d be really careful about how much of the transfer packages for players like Kipre (who has done very well), Cosgrove and Scott ended up with Motherwell and Aberdeen. Not saying the press here are prone to hyperbole but a lot of the numbers for the package will include salary and potential add ons as well as the initial fee.

And I see some haven’t cottoned on to the continual hyping and placing of stories in the press emanating from Ron Gordon’s laptop each and every transfer window.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, selling our best players in a panic half way through their contract is not a strategy to build a good team. 

If players can do us a good turn for 2-4 years and the team is doing well then that is, the important thing. 

If we can make money then great. 

Beni arrived for nothing, my priority is  that he plays well and we build a team, too many want to sell - to do what? Get another player in and punt him ASAP as well? 

Pointless. 

If Beni plays well and leaves for nothing then I'll be happy. He cost us nothing. 

If he plays well and gets us money then great. 

If he plays well and stays with us as the side improves - even better! 

The obsession by some about the balance sheet is baffling. 

very well said 👍

Guest ToqueJambo

Or more accurately with what other teams get for players. We get the equivalent of a £1+m windfall every season without having to pimp out our players all the time. Other teams have to sell. The trick is to use this more to our advantage which we seem to finally be doing now everything is paid up. I see far more value in using the money to try to retain our best players than pay inflated fees and wages for new players.

Very easy to forget we are 1 year up from the Championship and with a new head of recruitment.

I would suggest putting our trust in the team who have successfully brought in some of the best players to grace Tynie for some time.

Also worth pointing out that players have ambitions. If it’s looking unlikely those ambitions aren’t going to be met they will stay put and take the money.

We don’t go out of our way to put players in the shop window. 

Our players attract attention from other clubs.

Pasquale for King
49 minutes ago, Scott Leitch said:

I'm pretty confident going forward that Savage will make sure we get returns on the players we bring in. Been really impressed with him so far. 

£990k apparently. 
Savage and his team are doing a great job. 

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

For who? They sold their entire Mowbray team off before they could achieve anything. They got some money for Cummings (that was theft) and McGinn recently but I can't think of many or any others. In that time we've brought in fees for multiple players including two over 1m.

Maybe just mcginn, but hate our players going for nearly f, a,  

2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Again, when? When have they got money?

John McGinn is the ONLY player they have received over £1m for in the last decade.

Still hate our players going for  piss poor transfer fees   with exeption, of craig Gordon years ago, 

1 hour ago, JackLadd said:

I don't see Patterson dislodging Coleman if he's fit. Coleman is better than tavpen. 

More for the near future. Coleman is 33.

Yip, selling our best players in a panic half way through their contract is not a strategy to build a good team. 

If players can do us a good turn for 2-4 years and the team is doing well then that is, the important thing. 

If we can make money then great. 

Beni arrived for nothing, my priority is  that he plays well and we build a team, too many want to sell - to do what? Get another player in and punt him ASAP as well? 

Pointless. 

If Beni plays well and leaves for nothing then I'll be happy. He cost us nothing. 

If he plays well and gets us money then great. 

If he plays well and stays with us as the side improves - even better! 

Not having a go, but if we are ever to challenge the old firm, we either have to secure more investment, or be better at player turnover allowing us to target undervalued talent that we can bring in and sell for a profit, 

Ultimately doing well for Beni will be maybe winning a trophy at us, but he won't want to stay at us forever, so there is a fine balance, at the same time the club is a business, so if selling Beni for say £5-10mil allows us to bring in 4/5 players that are quality or have potential to sell on the same way Beni did for even more money, then i don't see how people can be criticised for having that opinion, we have the best academy in Scotland, my opinion if we have someone pumping in money then fine you can afford to keep Beni for longer, but Scottish clubs are selling clubs and we have to find a way to close the gap. 

This can be achieved by applying moneyball strategy, a longer term strategy that will benefit the club. 

And will allow the club to punch well above it's weight. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Not having a go, but if we are ever to challenge the old firm, we either have to secure more investment, or be better at player turnover allowing us to target undervalued talent that we can bring in and sell for a profit, 

Ultimately doing well for Beni will be maybe winning a trophy at us, but he won't want to stay at us forever, so there is a fine balance, at the same time the club is a business, so if selling Beni for say £5-10mil allows us to bring in 4/5 players that are quality or have potential to sell on the same way Beni did for even more money, then i don't see how people can be criticised for having that opinion, we have the best academy in Scotland, my opinion if we have someone pumping in money then fine you can afford to keep Beni for longer, but Scottish clubs are selling clubs and we have to find a way to close the gap. 

This can be achieved by applying moneyball strategy, a longer term strategy that will benefit the club. 

They want to try and Break the Hearts dominance over them first.

9 hours ago, Scott Leitch said:

Imagine if Hibs had kept him on a highly paid long contract what would his current value be as Dundee can't even give him away? The other factor is they had to give St Mirren a large chunk of the Villa fee for McGinn and I believe Raith will be due money if they ever sell Nisbet. Did they not extend Nisbet's contract on better terms and now have to watch his valuation drop as the goals dry up. It's a gamble and if we avoid another Martin or Damour then I will be happy. 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Brentford were starting at a much lower base, Ofc we want to sell players for money but a better team is more important for a multitude of reasons. 

The English Market is also inflated, shite teams or championship teams can sell players for £20m plus. 

In Scotland far harder. 

Your £5-£10m figure is at the top end, very top end and I'm being polite. 

We also aren't the only club looking at undervalued talent, for us to identify that consistently and attract that when there are thousands of clubs Litterally doing the same is not a guarantee of success. 

Even in Scotland, if not Aberdeen and Hibs, Celtic and rangers will be doing the same as will a hatful of championship clubs. 

We won't always get the best when looking at hat market. 

If comparing English teams ( unsure why folk need to do that as imo it's irrelevant) but a big team like Everton or spurs is a more apt comparison. 

How can they build a team to compete for the top 4 or the league? 

Selling their best players for money is all good, but the team suffers and they don't progress as a team despite spending even more in some cases. 

Motherwell in Scotland can apply a strategy more like Brentford, give youngsters a chance, give them a season or two to develop, if the team is anywhere from 3rd to 7th, even 9th  everyone is OK. 

Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs want 3rd. They also want to be consisistant, get to finals, progress in Europe and at the the vert least be the best of the rest every year. That on it's own is clearly a challenge. Relative Instant success and results are required 

Selling your best players hinders this massively. 

Rangers and celtic have fairly settled teams and grow at their pace. 

Most successful teams have a settled team. 

Punting players at the earliest opportunity might help the bank balance but we will struggle to improve to what the club and fans want, we simply won't build a team. 

If we sell one or 2 every year and add we will be doing well, but to sell players for the most money we will need-

Them tied down on contracts 

The team playing well and high in the league 

Playing in Europe 

That needs a good team( good players now), if the team is shite, getting players to stay and extend contracts, attracting better players and selling them for money is far more difficult and more difficult to replace. 

We are on the right path but a good team is the 1st priority, we need a good team over selling players 100%  for me. 

9 hours ago, Hectormasson said:

Still hate our players going for  piss poor transfer fees   with exeption, of craig Gordon years ago, 

Other than Celtic we've done better than anyone over the last decade with net transfer profit on fee's paid/received of 5.6m, over the last 10 years the numbers are Celtic 46.5m profit, Rangers 22.1m loss, Hibs 2.2m profit, Aberdeen close to us with 5.1m profit. 

It's not just about the fee's you get it's also about not spunking John McGinn style money on utter shite that gets punted for nothing at the end of their contract

Naisys Tackle
10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

World's gone mad. I refuse to believe that. If true, at least it proves there are many, many clubs much, much worse than us when it comes to transfer dealings.

I agree.  Especially a basket mob like Hull.  They never learn. 

45 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Brentford were starting at a much lower base, Ofc we want to sell players for money but a better team is more important for a multitude of reasons. 

The English Market is also inflated, shite teams or championship teams can sell players for £20m plus. 

In Scotland far harder. 

Your £5-£10m figure is at the top end, very top end and I'm being polite. 

We also aren't the only club looking at undervalued talent, for us to identify that consistently and attract that when there are thousands of clubs Litterally doing the same is not a guarantee of success. 

Even in Scotland, if not Aberdeen and Hibs, Celtic and rangers will be doing the same as will a hatful of championship clubs. 

We won't always get the best when looking at hat market. 

If comparing English teams ( unsure why folk need to do that as imo it's irrelevant) but a big team like Everton or spurs is a more apt comparison. 

How can they build a team to compete for the top 4 or the league? 

Selling their best players for money is all good, but the team suffers and they don't progress as a team despite spending even more in some cases. 

Motherwell in Scotland can apply a strategy more like Brentford, give youngsters a chance, give them a season or two to develop, if the team is anywhere from 3rd to 7th, even 9th  everyone is OK. 

Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs want 3rd. They also want to be consisistant, get to finals, progress in Europe and at the the vert least be the best of the rest every year. That on it's own is clearly a challenge. Relative Instant success and results are required 

Selling your best players hinders this massively. 

Rangers and celtic have fairly settled teams and grow at their pace. 

Most successful teams have a settled team. 

Punting players at the earliest opportunity might help the bank balance but we will struggle to improve to what the club and fans want, we simply won't build a team. 

If we sell one or 2 every year and add we will be doing well, but to sell players for the most money we will need-

Them tied down on contracts 

The team playing well and high in the league 

Playing in Europe 

That needs a good team( good players now), if the team is shite, getting players to stay and extend contracts, attracting better players and selling them for money is far more difficult and more difficult to replace. 

We are on the right path but a good team is the 1st priority, we need a good team over selling players 100%  for me

Agree with all of this and my philosophy is very much in line with the final sentence. Some people see football as a trading game but there has to be a central objective...to win games.

I'm away for a lie down 😄

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Agree with all of this and my philosophy is very much in line with the final sentence. Some people see football as a trading game but there has to be a central objective...to win games.

Yeah, far more fans seem concerned with contract length and potential value "now a days." 

I want us to win to win games and improve year on year. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

17 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Its mental isn't it. Supporters these days seemt to talk more about transfer value and wages etc than about how a guy will play or fit in to a team.

I don't give a shit about all that.  Is he guid?  Can we keep him for ages if he's guid?

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Its mental isn't it. Supporters these days seemt to talk more about transfer value and wages etc than about how a guy will play or fit in to a team.

I don't give a shit about all that.  Is he guid?  Can we keep him for ages if he's guid?

Agreed. 

Some folks  first thought on a new signing seems to be " good age, hopefully we can sell him for money on a season or 2".

22 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

These people are just using sideshows to have a go at the club when things are going well on the park. 

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

These people are just using sideshows to have a go at the club when things are going well on the park. 

More to do with playing too much Football Manager imo

7 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Come the Revolution the first people up against the wall will be those 2 tossers on Sky Sports with their ipads, waffling on about potential tranfer targets for the EPL and doing it with the manner of someone reporting on a major event.

"It is my understanding that Valencia are looking for £1trillion....blah blah blah"  **** off

7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agreed. 

Some folks  first thought on a new signing seems to be " good age, hopefully we can sell him for money on a season or 2".

And yet our best signing in years is a 37 year old goalkeeper.

Phil D. Corners
25 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Agreed. What I feel about the FOH and fan ownership is that we have a club that has funds coming in but doesn’t need to return a profit on it. 

The club needs to be run sensibly. The goal is build a team that performs on the pitch and win games.