Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

Space Mackerel
17 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

No, Australia is not in NATO. The clue is "North Atlantic".

And I'm not having a go at anyone. I'm asking a question about Scotland's defence intentions.

Its a "defacto" member Geoff.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

22 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Why can't England join the EFTA, SM or EU? That would stop custom checks.

Fairly certain EFTA membership is contingent on free movement of people which Boris and his pals have issues with.

Tbh, I think exchanging 1 border for the removal of 27 plus access to a market of over 500m people is a good deal. Sure, we do a lot of trade with English/rest of UK, but Canada does 70% of its trade with the US and they have a border, I don't see anyone freaking out about that... We seem to be treating a mild inconvenience as an apocalyptic problem. As you quite rightly point out, England could join EFTA or enter into any number of pacts with the EU which would remove the border in the event we got independence which would remove any border issues.

It actually opens up the idea that EU membership outright may not be the best solution for Scotland, beyond the membership criteria which Unionists can pick over to find fault with, EFTA is much easier to join, I think some research by Alba got back that it would be around 3 months, where as the EU would take an unspecified length of time. EFTA would likely provide greater flexibility for us to have a trade agreement with the rest of the UK too. 

I suppose its all hypotheticals, but its far from the end times that Unionists would have people believe. 

10 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

As Uly says though, the key point with any kind of independence debate is one of nationality first. If Scots do not feel British at all anymore then they should vote for independence and accept any hardships that come their way. If, however, there are shared aspects of being British that people value as part of how they are governed then they should weigh those up. That's it. If a bank chooses to leave, it chooses to leave. If Tesco's don't think Scotland is profitable they will pull out. It wasn't until the 1990s that the main grocers came to Northern Ireland. We had Stewarts and Crazy Prices instead. We still managed to buy food!

I love how unionists couch all their arguments in, Scotland bad, UK good. Especially the ones that love the UK so much they live thousands of miles away 

manaliveits105
10 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

What side will Scotland be?

North with Chief Mammy Smurf dictating 

JudyJudyJudy

She’s got a brass neck I’ll give her that 

Womens rights ? 

11 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

As Uly says though, the key point with any kind of independence debate is one of nationality first. If Scots do not feel British at all anymore then they should vote for independence and accept any hardships that come their way. If, however, there are shared aspects of being British that people value as part of how they are governed then they should weigh those up. That's it. If a bank chooses to leave, it chooses to leave. If Tesco's don't think Scotland is profitable they will pull out. It wasn't until the 1990s that the main grocers came to Northern Ireland. We had Stewarts and Crazy Prices instead. We still managed to buy food!

I love how unionists couch all their arguments in, Scotland bad, UK good. Especially the ones that love the UK so much they live thousands of miles away 

11 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Fairly certain EFTA membership is contingent on free movement of people which Boris and his pals have issues with.

Tbh, I think exchanging 1 border for the removal of 27 plus access to a market of over 500m people is a good deal. Sure, we do a lot of trade with English/rest of UK, but Canada does 70% of its trade with the US and they have a border, I don't see anyone freaking out about that... We seem to be treating a mild inconvenience as an apocalyptic problem. As you quite rightly point out, England could join EFTA or enter into any number of pacts with the EU which would remove the border in the event we got independence which would remove any border issues.

It actually opens up the idea that EU membership outright may not be the best solution for Scotland, beyond the membership criteria which Unionists can pick over to find fault with, EFTA is much easier to join, I think some research by Alba got back that it would be around 3 months, where as the EU would take an unspecified length of time. EFTA would likely provide greater flexibility for us to have a trade agreement with the rest of the UK too. 

I suppose its all hypotheticals, but its far from the end times that Unionists would have people believe. 

Good post OTT. 

When Scotland leaves there will be no hard border until Scotland has a referendum on the EU/SM/EFTA.

By then England will have come to its senses I would imagine. 

Malinga the Swinga
27 minutes ago, XB52 said:

As opposed to the nationalists with their Tories bad, SNP good, especially the ones who love Scotland so much they live elsewhere.

Space Mackerel
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Suck it up Scotland, back in your place.

Meet your Overlords, a couple of grade A posh upper class entitled ******s. 

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

As opposed to the nationalists with their Tories bad, SNP good, especially the ones who love Scotland so much they live elsewhere.

Big fan of Doris Johnson, Alistair Jack and Micky Gove? 

Malinga the Swinga
58 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Womens rights ? 

It ticks all the boxes Sturgeon looking for which is basically get her face in news. She couldn't give a **** for women or their rights and neither could the majority of her supporters.

Trans is her latest pet project now that Covid isn't getting her the required publicity, the COP conference has been and gone and Ukraine is satisfied with support UK providing.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It ticks all the boxes Sturgeon looking for which is basically get her face in news. She couldn't give a **** for women or their rights and neither could the majority of her supporters.

Trans is her latest pet project now that Covid isn't getting her the required publicity, the COP conference has been and gone and Ukraine is satisfied with support UK providing.

Aye she’s no daft , I’ll give her that . Networking here , there and every where on the “ international stage “ knowing full well when Indy is over she will get an international job in some form or another , as she won’t be spear heading an Indy Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 that’s for sure . Those people attending this conference probably assume she’s extremely popular in her native country and she won’t want to dispel that myth . She say all the right things at this conference “ I’m a feminist to my finger tips  “ she once said . I just hope there are some savvy journalists or attendees who will challenge her in regards to this and the proposed GRA . 

Space Mackerel
4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Aye she’s no daft , I’ll give her that . Networking here , there and every where on the “ international stage “ knowing full well when Indy is over she will get an international job in some form or another , as she won’t be spear heading an Indy Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 that’s for sure . Those people attending this conference probably assume she’s extremely popular in her native country and she won’t want to dispel that myth . She say all the right things at this conference “ I’m a feminist to my finger tips  “ she once said . I just hope there are some savvy journalists or attendees who will challenge her in regards to this and the proposed GRA . 

You do know 99% of people who will read this post of yours will think you’re a bit daft believing this nonsense? 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

You do know 99% of people who will read this post of yours will think you’re a bit daft believing this nonsense? 

Wow ! Incredible that you know how everyone will view a posting . That’s some skill. I’m impressed . 

40 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I don't disagree tbh. Its kind of ironic seeing her going on a womens rights tour whilst she has a quote to the effect of 'womens concerns over trans inclusion in female only spaces are not valid'. 

I'm all for inclusion, but I don't think you can or should run roughshod over concerns of circa 50% of the population. 

But, thats nothing to do with Independence. The question of Independence is far bigger than Nicola Sturgeon or the SNP, its about building a country which is compatible with our values. I appreciate we're maybe not on the same side of the debate, but when over a period of over 10 years support for leaving the UK rises to almost half the population then that should be alarm bells that the union isn't working. You just need to look at the demographics, and see that younger people are overwhelmingly backing a yes vote. The saving grace perhaps for the no camp is that Scotland has an aging population, but then it becomes a matter of time. I genuinely think that the Union and the unionist campaign is built on shortermism, they're doing nothing to reverse the direction of travel of our nations desire for self determination and if they can't do that then it becomes when not if. 

If we take Gordon Browns promises for example, his vow that wasn't really delivered or his fantasies about federalism or devomax, first the no camp need to define what devo max actually is, federalism flatly isn't going to happen since that would require a willingness to change the structure of the UK which won't play to the Tory establishment. I'm really struggling here, because in 2014 when the Union was a far better prospect, Darling's campaign saw Independence rise over the course of the campaign, fair enough it fell short but it was close. Now, with very little positive spin to sell, I'm struggling to see what the no camp can say thats going to save the union tbh. 

I'm kinda thinking out loud with a lot of that. Basically, I think people are drawn to positivity and hope, in 2014 the no camp adopted a very negative campaign and it saw yes rise over the period. If they go negative again, the direction of travel is pretty clear BUT I don't see a positive angle they can take. I think a lot of a credibility was spent on statements like 'The only way to preserve our EU status is to vote no' etc. Browns Vow largely vague fanciful nonsense. Its very difficult to see any positivity for remaining in the Union and I don't think they have the credibility to promise change. 

Nucky Thompson

There's a few tetchy Smurfs on here tonight :glorious:

Wait till Boris tells Sturgeon and the fat, Hibs piece of lard to GTF 

2023 ma arse :rofl:

Unknown user
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Womens rights ? 

You should message her and mansplain women's rights properly.

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 hours ago, XB52 said:

I didn't make any argument either way. Keep up with your paranoia though.

2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

😂😂😂😂 Funny and sad 

4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I didn't make any argument either way. Keep up with your paranoia though.

Paranoia???? Saying a unionist that loves the union so much that they moved thousands of miles away makes me paranoid. Love to hear you explain that one. How come the majority of Scottish independence haters on here don't even live in our country

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, XB52 said:

Paranoia???? Saying a unionist that loves the union so much that they moved thousands of miles away makes me paranoid. Love to hear you explain that one. How come the majority of Scottish independence haters on here don't even live in our country

I don't "hate" Scottish independence. The one time I had any sort of vote on Scotland's constitution, 1997, I abstained. I would have done the same in 2014 had I still been living there.

Hope this helps.

Jeffros Furios
13 minutes ago, XB52 said:

No different to you hiding away for months in your Ottomah baths giving money to the Kurd killing despot .

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Nucky, in order to keep @jack D and coke happy I have to have a wee dig at you.

In order to do so, could you please post something else, like, y'know, something that's not going to happen.

Good lad. Youve got to keep the pretence up👍🏼

The Mighty Thor
21 minutes ago, jonesy said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇪🇺🇵🇸

Reveal hidden contents

🇬🇧🇮🇱

You really need one of these in your pro-indy disguise 🏳️‍🌈

Otherwise folks will think your a bit gammony.

13 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

You don't need a hard border for customs checks. Sturgeon wants Scotland to be part of the European single market. England isn't part of it. Ergo, customs checks 

The Scotland Protocol?  :whistling:

11 hours ago, Smithee said:

There's no reason to assume there'll be customs control at the border 

In fairness, that's pretty much what the Brexiteers said in 2016, but that's not how it turned out.

7 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Why can't England join the EFTA, SM or EU? That would stop custom checks.

Why should England do that if it doesn't want to? 

Naisys Tackle

The answer imo is of course. 

If we fail, we fail our own way.    We become independent it opens up all avenues to us.  We are a very kind giving nation.   Part of Nato we will be backed and get back in the EU to help us with our best Universities in the world. 

Naisys Tackle

Saying that, I'm anything but anti-english.  My posting will show this.

I know academically it holds us back not being in the EU and it's gutting to see so many amazing people leave.   

Geoff Kilpatrick
44 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The Scotland Protocol?  :whistling:

Looking forward to a Scottish Jim Allister...

i wish jj was my dad
10 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Wow ! Incredible that you know how everyone will view a posting . That’s some skill. I’m impressed . 

It's dripping with personal bitterness.  I'm not her greatest fan but you have an obsession with her that demeans and undermines any argument you might have. 

I don't think you are stupid but your posts about her are obsessed and bitter. 

I think on balance she has advanced the equalities agenda more than any PM or FM in my lifetime and I can't imagine that pre 1970s it had much traction. 

I am personally a bit lost with the whole gender debate so I can't really get into it but she is quite rightly trying to promote scotland abroad. Massively important post brexit

Unknown user
5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

In fairness, that's pretty much what the Brexiteers said in 2016, but that's not how it turned out.

I'm not trying to predict the future, just saying that there's no reason to state the worst case scenario as fact.

I'm not aware of there ever being customs controls between Scotland and England, and as someone who favours a close relationship with our neighbours I don't want to see it happen either.

JudyJudyJudy
10 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

There's a few tetchy Smurfs on here tonight :glorious:

Wait till Boris tells Sturgeon and the fat, Hibs piece of lard to GTF 

2023 ma arse :rofl:

😂😂

11 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

👍👍👍

21 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm not trying to predict the future, just saying that there's no reason to state the worst case scenario as fact.

I'm not aware of there ever being customs controls between Scotland and England, and as someone who favours a close relationship with our neighbours I don't want to see it happen either.

So you want to break up a union but keep the benefits of the union that suit you ? Seems fair enough I’m sure the rUK will be happy to negotiate under those terms. 😂

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

It's dripping with personal bitterness.  I'm not her greatest fan but you have an obsession with her that demeans and undermines any argument you might have. 

I don't think you are stupid but your posts about her are obsessed and bitter. 

I think on balance she has advanced the equalities agenda more than any PM or FM in my lifetime and I can't imagine that pre 1970s it had much traction. 

I am personally a bit lost with the whole gender debate so I can't really get into it but she is quite rightly trying to promote scotland abroad. Massively important post brexit

I’m pulling her up regarding her hypocrisy about attending a conference regarding womens rights abroad , whilst at home ignoring womens groups and their genuine concerns  about the GRA . That’s not being “ obsessive “ that’s what any voter has a right and duty to do .  By attending these conferences she’s raising her profile , simple as that . The SNP is  not the only party  who have 

“ advanced “ the equalities agenda . All parties have . Every single one , as they knew they had to due to various reasons . Other countries were doing so . The cultural / society landscape was changing. . . It made political sense . Even if not a massive vote winner , it certainly won the virtue signalling kudos . Something the SNP

are masters of . Now the tide is turning regarding trans issues ( recent barring if trans swimmers decision ) The SNP may need to rethink their GRA policy . 

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, Dazo said:

So you want to break up a union but keep the benefits of the union that suit you ? Seems fair enough I’m sure the rUK will be happy to negotiate under those terms. 😂

Yes, why wouldn't I want the best for my country?

Lord Montpelier
7 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Anyway put your money where your mooth is. !! 

696FFC25-C2A6-4BB6-9E3F-01169354653F.thumb.jpeg.8b0ec9bf759d80f3c3bf4d0dcb28dc9b.jpeg

Im more amused by the banner headline "SNP urge Nato".

Like Nato remotely care what Elsie, Bunter , Paddy Harvie et al think . 

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, jonesy said:

As the hooker said the leper, thanks for the tip.

BTW, what's the field jock equivalent of a gammon? An alarming rise in 'if only non-Scots had been disenfranchised in 2014, we'd have won' type posts on here recently. White pudding?

Beats me 🤷‍♂️

I'm sure we've agreed on this previously. As far as I'm concerned those residing in Scotland and who are entitled to vote should decide what happens to Scotland. Not anyone else, those it will directly affect. 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Yes, why wouldn't I want the best for my country?

Of course you should. It’s just when I suggested the same over brexit you and the other UK haters said why should the eu allow us any benefits since we want to leave. Just thought you’d be okay with rUK having the same stance. 

I wish there was a thread - or even a site - where you could go and have a reasoned, maybe yes maybe no discussion about what will probably be the biggest political decision any of us will make in our lifetime.  You know, a place where people can think about the pros and cons, the opportunities and difficulties than would lie ahead.

Instead we’ve got this.

Welcome to the internet.

The Real Maroonblood
50 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Beats me 🤷‍♂️

I'm sure we've agreed on this previously. As far as I'm concerned those residing in Scotland and who are entitled to vote should decide what happens to Scotland. Not anyone else, those it will directly affect. 

As long as there’s a certain time of residency.

56 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I wish there was a thread - or even a site - where you could go and have a reasoned, maybe yes maybe no discussion about what will probably be the biggest political decision any of us will make in our lifetime.  You know, a place where people can think about the pros and cons, the opportunities and difficulties than would lie ahead.

Instead we’ve got this.

Welcome to the internet.

In our life time you say ? That should maybe be a key point of any discussion. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Of course you should. It’s just when I suggested the same over brexit you and the other UK haters said why should the eu allow us any benefits since we want to leave. Just thought you’d be okay with rUK having the same stance. 

The only precedent we have for a land border between the UK and a former part of the UK is the border between NI and the RoI - no customs checks.

In the many centuries of a land border between Scotland and England - no customs checks.

There's no reason to assume there would be customs checks

Edited by Smithee

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The only precedent we have for a land border between the UK and a former part of the UK is the border better NI and the RoI - no customs checks.

I'm the many centuries of a land border between Scotland and England - no customs checks.

There's no reason to assume there would be customs checks

I’m not assuming anything other than don’t expect rUK to pander to what’s best for Scotland if independence was to happen.