Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

JudyJudyJudy
36 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

You suggesting we should have an armed insurrection and wage a campaign of indiscriminate bombing throughout Scotland and England? After all, what's plain murder if you get what you want at the end of it. Thought that was more of a Celtic attitude but good to know what you believe.

The “ debate “ is taking a disturbing by the day . Initially insulting and offensive terms for those who do not agree with an Indy Scotland to a literal call to arms if demands for A ref aren’t met . Makes me wonder what they may be like if it’s a no again . ? 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

Jeffros Furios
24 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I more of a pacifist bud. I'm not suggesting anything. I don't know enough about Irish politics and neither do you. What you're alluding to isn't my idea of democracy but people react to things differently.

The British including many Scots are as guilty of some atrocities as other nations. The British including Scots have also done some great things.

I loathe Celtic and Rangers. 

I'll tell you where I am. I'm a Hearts supportrer, protestant, Freemason, Edinburgher and Scotsman. I loathe the establishment, the royals, Westminster, terrorism and sectarianism. Now I'm enjoying a beer, watching the golf and playing golf with mates tomorrow. Have a good evening.

See when you go to the lodge is there not a picture  of Lizzie on the wall ? 

Roxy Hearts
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Cheers.  Enjoy the golf (you know it's only called "golf" because all the other 4-letter words were gone?)

Irish humour 🤣👍

Roxy Hearts
Just now, Jeffros Furios said:

See when you go to the lodge is there not a picture  of Lizzie on the wall ? 

I don't go now but there is and we live in a democracy so I choose to dislike the Royals, is that allowed?

Jeffros Furios
Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

I don't go now but there is and we live in a democracy so I choose to dislike the Royals, is that allowed?

Aye but you're a mason where there's photos of queenie hanging on the wall and you sing GSTQ .

You seem to hate yourself 😀

Space Mackerel
5 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The “ debate “ is taking a disturbing by the day . Initially insulting and offensive terms for those who do not agree with an Indy Scotland to a literal call to arms if demands for A ref aren’t met . Makes me wonder what they may be like if it’s a no again . ? 

Which part of Edinburgh are all you Edinburgh Loyalists going to live in after independence? Are you going to build a wall or a fence?
Just so we can have a good laugh when passing. 

4 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Irish humour 🤣👍

On a golf tour in Ireland, Tiger Woods drives his rented Mercedes into a petrol station in a remote part of the Irish countryside.

He's filling his car, and the fella at the next pump is filling his Toyota Corolla.  He knows nothing about golf, and is completely unaware of who Tiger is.

“Mornin’ to ya,” he says.

Tiger nods a quick hello and bends forward to pick up the nozzle.

As he does so, two tees fall out of his shirt pocket onto the ground.

“What are those?” asks the other guy.

“They’re called tees,” replies Tiger.

“Well, what in the name of God are they for?” asks the Irishman.

“They’re for resting my balls on when I’m driving,” says Tiger.

“Ah, Jaysus, sure Mercedes think of everything!"

(I'll get me coat...)

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Which part of Edinburgh are all you Edinburgh Loyalists going to live in after independence? Are you going to build a wall or a fence?
Just so we can have a good laugh when passing. 

Merchiston ! Doubt youlll get by passport control  to hae a laugh 😂 

I sometimes read Kickback and I am extra glad that Canada accepted me. What a beautiful multi racial place it is, with our political diferences but usually just settle them at the ballot box. The National sport is pretty much NHL I love to see Canucks win but can happily sit with Montreal or Toronto , Calgary, Edmonton, or Winnipeg fans and have an enjoyable evening. There are many differences and opinions and they are generally settled after discussion, and acceptance. There is of course now a tendency to demonstrate ones beliefs and carry placards, but this is just looked at as oh well if it makes them happy. O Canada.

Malinga the Swinga
14 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yep. All led and fed by someone with no skin in the game. 

7 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Merchiston ! Doubt youlll get by passport control  to hae a laugh 😂 

To near Tynecastle for him to be near I suspect.

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I sometimes read Kickback and I am extra glad that Canada accepted me. What a beautiful multi racial place it is, with our political diferences but usually just settle them at the ballot box. The National sport is pretty much NHL I love to see Canucks win but can happily sit with Montreal or Toronto , Calgary, Edmonton, or Winnipeg fans and have an enjoyable evening. There are many differences and opinions and they are generally settled after discussion, and acceptance. There is of course now a tendency to demonstrate ones beliefs and carry placards, but this is just looked at as oh well if it makes them happy. O Canada.

Your well out of it Sharpie. We face another 18 months of this as we battle to avoid self combusting, all under the guidance of a Scottish government who are determined split country down the middle (again).

Malinga the Swinga
22 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Irish humour 🤣👍

Much like Glaswegian humour, only found amusing by themselves.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No, because there is no evidence of that 

There was that main guy from the orange order admitting they'd probably become a paramilitary organisation in the event of independence, it's on YouTube somewhere.

Space Mackerel
3 minutes ago, Ked said:

To near Tynecastle for him to be near I suspect.

Don’t make me post my Maroon Points again, you’ll look very very silly. ☺️ 🇱🇻 

11 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Scotland will be fine, just as it was fine after 2014.  The wingnuts on social media would be much quieter and better-behaved meeting people face to face.

Roxy Hearts
21 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Aye but you're a mason where there's photos of queenie hanging on the wall and you sing GSTQ .

You seem to hate yourself 😀

I don't sing GSTQ. Don't hate myself bud. Not been in years. 

21 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

There's only one monumental wally on this forum who has ever posted to cheerlead his support for Sinn Féin.  And it wasn't me.  :rofl:

Now pull your zip up; your prejudice is hanging out.  ;)

I once spoke with an Irish girl who just couldn't grasp why we didn't want independence.

I actually felt embarrassed.

The trouble with the current debate and I find it more with those who want independence is the old battle lines of sectarian language come into it.

I'm conservative minded and cannot understand why those who are similar don't want independence.

Similarly some of the views of independence posters absolutely nip my nut.

The generalisation of English people being a particular one.

I posted earlier in the thread that I believe essentially Scotland was conservative .I also said I thought Ireland was.

Do you agree about Ireland being essentially conservative?

Also you say you have no skin in the game but isn't there a part of you that would like to see the break up totally of the British Empire.

(I know it's gone but you know)

Roxy Hearts
19 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

On a golf tour in Ireland, Tiger Woods drives his rented Mercedes into a petrol station in a remote part of the Irish countryside.

He's filling his car, and the fella at the next pump is filling his Toyota Corolla.  He knows nothing about golf, and is completely unaware of who Tiger is.

“Mornin’ to ya,” he says.

Tiger nods a quick hello and bends forward to pick up the nozzle.

As he does so, two tees fall out of his shirt pocket onto the ground.

“What are those?” asks the other guy.

“They’re called tees,” replies Tiger.

“Well, what in the name of God are they for?” asks the Irishman.

“They’re for resting my balls on when I’m driving,” says Tiger.

“Ah, Jaysus, sure Mercedes think of everything!"

(I'll get me coat...)

🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Don’t make me post my Maroon Points again, you’ll look very very silly. ☺️ 🇱🇻 

Awrite awrite but stop bringing the loyalist shit and queenie stuff in Spacey.

The argument is about fundamentals.

Scotland can only prosper independently and that needs conservatives like me .

😁

Roxy Hearts
9 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Much like Glaswegian humour, only found amusing by themselves.

Billy Connolly is one of the greatest of all time, surely. Way ahead of his time with storytelling, wit and intelligence.

1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Billy Connolly is one of the greatest of all time, surely. Way ahead of his time with storytelling, wit and intelligence.

100%

Roxy Hearts
6 minutes ago, Ked said:

😁

As much as I agree with small c conservatism, I also wish us to look after the less well off, old folk and the NHS. I also think we should have a robust welfare state and encourage entrepreneurism. 

Space Mackerel
9 minutes ago, Ked said:

😁

Im not the one who said there would be civil unrest. Anyway, I’ll no mention auld German Lizzie again, you teach Frank about, well, everything to do with money. 

Malinga the Swinga
11 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Maybe 20 years ago but not now. Anyway, who's going to win US open.

4 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

As much as I agree with small c conservatism, I also wish us to look after the less well off, old folk and the NHS. I also think we should have a robust welfare state and encourage entrepreneurism. 

Looking after each other shouldn't be left to the state.

And as much as the NHS is a good thing we need to seriously start looking at supplementing that with private medical insurance.

It's not delivering .

Currently there's not a shortage of jobs just people to fill vacancies.

Lifes not free and it's not easy.

Welfare should be a safety net not a lifestyle choice.

Just now, Ked said:

I once spoke with an Irish girl who just couldn't grasp why we didn't want independence.

I actually felt embarrassed.

The trouble with the current debate and I find it more with those who want independence is the old battle lines of sectarian language come into it.

I'm conservative minded and cannot understand why those who are similar don't want independence.

Similarly some of the views of independence posters absolutely nip my nut.

The generalisation of English people being a particular one.

I posted earlier in the thread that I believe essentially Scotland was conservative .I also said I thought Ireland was.

Do you agree about Ireland being essentially conservative?

Also you say you have no skin in the game but isn't there a part of you that would like to see the break up totally of the British Empire.

(I know it's gone but you know)

There's a lot to unpack there.

Scots are simply not the same as the English or the Welsh.  You really aren't.  When outsiders see that they automatically assume that people who are culturally different would want to be politically separate.  Similar, and close, but not politically in the same space.  I have trouble explaining to Irish people (and people from other places as well) that a lot of Scottish people are not independence-minded, but that doesn't stop me pressing on and telling them anyway.

The sectarian language almost has to come into it.  I asked a question earlier about sectarianism, contested national identity, and religious labels.  NI has them all, Scotland has them all, and some of the symptoms on display are very similar.  Are the situations in NI and Scotland different?  Or exactly the same?  It has to be one or the other, and either answer to the question has very serious implications for both NI and Scottish societies into the future.

Scotland has a body of conservative voters.  Every country does.  The independence debate shouldn't be about policies; it should be about the way in which you make policies, and the way in which government is ultimately accountable to the public, regardless of what the political colour of the government of the day happens to be.  If the debate is about the Tories, or the SNP, or this, that or the other political personality, or about schools, hospitals and buses, then you're having the wrong debate.

Ireland is economically to the right of centre and socially liberal.  I'd prefer us to be more centrist economically, or perhaps more left in terms of some public service provision.  I quite like where we've got to in terms of social policy and personal freedom, though we still have progress to make in some areas that matter to me.  I used to feel that Scotland was more modern than Ireland; now I'm not so sure, and it depends on the subject or the context.

The British Empire has already broken up.  Britain's presence on the island of Ireland will go regardless of my opinion; I can't say when, but I've come to believe that it's only a matter of time.  That will be very hard for us on this island, but up with that we will have to put. 

I spent a lot of my adult life explaining to people why they should work harder to understand and admire the UK - despite the difficult nature of much of its intervention in Ireland.  I was rolling a big heavy stone up a steep muddy hill, but as year followed year persuading people to give the British point of view a chance got easier.  But since 2016, it's become impossible.  Britain is considered in Ireland and across much of Europe as unreliable and dishonest, and a huge amount of hard work and careful relationship-building done over a period of 25-30 years by politicians, diplomats and civil servants has been thrown away.  The UK has simply thrown the switch back to 1986 or so.   It will be years before we can even start to recover the damage, and if we ever do start it will take a generation to repair it.

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Space Mackerel said:

When did Scotch Yoons start caring about the social underclass up here? 
Answer: when they can get some mileage out of it. 

Shameless cretins. 

I love it when they demand we spend more on junkies, they don’t really want anyone getting anything like want mothers getting baby boxes or anyone getting a free prescription but all of a sudden they care about junkies…

Work that one out. 

26 minutes ago, Ked said:

😁

Spacey is a good example of someone you'd never send out to persuade the undecided.  And this is something you have on both sides of the debate - people who actively believe they need to aggressively put down those who don't agree with their position.  We saw it in 2013-14, and we're seeing it now.

There's a lot to unpack there.

Scots are simply not the same as the English or the Welsh.  You really aren't.  When outsiders see that they automatically assume that people who are culturally different would want to be politically separate.  Similar, and close, but not politically in the same space.  I have trouble explaining to Irish people (and people from other places as well) that a lot of Scottish people are not independence-minded, but that doesn't stop me pressing on and telling them anyway.

The sectarian language almost has to come into it.  I asked a question earlier about sectarianism, contested national identity, and religious labels.  NI has them all, Scotland has them all, and some of the symptoms on display are very similar.  Are the situations in NI and Scotland different?  Or exactly the same?  It has to be one or the other, and either answer to the question has very serious implications for both NI and Scottish societies into the future.

Scotland has a body of conservative voters.  Every country does.  The independence debate shouldn't be about policies; it should be about the way in which you make policies, and the way in which government is ultimately accountable to the public, regardless of what the political colour of the government of the day happens to be.  If the debate is about the Tories, or the SNP, or this, that or the other political personality, or about schools, hospitals and buses, then you're having the wrong debate.

Ireland is economically to the right of centre and socially liberal.  I'd prefer us to be more centrist economically, or perhaps more left in terms of some public service provision.  I quite like where we've got to in terms of social policy and personal freedom, though we still have progress to make in some areas that matter to me.  I used to feel that Scotland was more modern than Ireland; now I'm not so sure, and it depends on the subject or the context.

The British Empire has already broken up.  Britain's presence on the island of Ireland will go regardless of my opinion; I can't say when, but I've come to believe that it's only a matter of time.  That will be very hard for us on this island, but up with that we will have to put. 

I spent a lot of my adult life explaining to people why they should work harder to understand and admire the UK - despite the difficult nature of much of its intervention in Ireland.  I was rolling a big heavy stone up a steep muddy hill, but as year followed year persuading people to give the British point of view a chance got easier.  But since 2016, it's become impossible.  Britain is considered in Ireland and across much of Europe as unreliable and dishonest, and a huge amount of hard work and careful relationship-building done over a period of 25-30 years by politicians, diplomats and civil servants has been thrown away.  The UK has simply thrown the switch back to 1986 or so.   It will be years before we can even start to recover the damage, and if we ever do start it will take a generation to repair it.

Going to as you say unpack that answer.

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I love it when they demand we spend more on junkies, they don’t really want anyone getting anything like want mothers getting baby boxes or anyone getting a free prescription but all of a sudden they care about junkies…

Work that one out. 

Exactly. Baby boxes shite, throw the kitchen sink at the underclass they’ve never given a single **** about. 

Roxy Hearts
14 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Maybe 20 years ago but not now. Anyway, who's going to win US open.

Hopefully a European! 

Roxy Hearts
8 minutes ago, Ked said:

And as much as the NHS is a good thing we need to seriously start looking at supplementing that with private medical insurance.

It's not delivering .

I'm very small c conservative 😆

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

Hopefully a European! 

Fitzpatrick sticking in but Zalatoris and Scheffler aren't going away.

Could Matsuyama nip in and steal it all?

McIlroy just about out of it now. 

Space Mackerel

Spacey is a good example of someone you'd never send out to persuade the undecided.  And this is something you have on both sides of the debate - people who actively believe they need to aggressively put down those who don't agree with their position.  We saw it in 2013-14, and we're seeing it now.

Oh cmon, I’m and everyone else is dealing with trolling and utter lies/misinformation here. There’s not much point in all honesty. 
And I was going about helping my old man in the 70’s selling the SNP paper. From small acorns grow large oaks. 

29 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Fair and not a-typical analysis.

FWIW (and I appreciate you weren't fishing for my 'credentials'):

-my children were baptised in a Catholic Church and the elder one's godparents are a same sex (but mixed-denomination) couple (still grateful to the rather progressive Canon who agreed to this). I also believe the Catholic Church to be one of the most corrupt and dangerous institutions on the planet.

-while the only American political event I've been to was a Republican fundraiser I didn't donate and was there as the guest of someone I'd argued with in class about my suggestion that the Yank agricultural industry could be nationalised.

-I wouldn't describe myself as left-wing, although I generally vote Labour (cue: heheh, they're no' lefties anymore!) at UKGEs and have voted SSP within the last decade more locally.

-I've also, a long time ago and only been told this by one member of my family, had relatives chased out of Ireland due to certain involvements.

As a keen student of voter behaviour in both Europe and the US in my 6th Year and undergraduate days, I'm aware of the fact that, generally,  folk do conform to labels. I'm also aware that my preferred libertarian views might provide some odd bedfellows; but I'm more wu wei than Gadsden-flag myself.

TL/DR? You dinnae really ken that I dinnae really ken if the fish are happy or no' :) 🐟

Anyway, enough of this shite or I'll have to post pictures of cats at myself.

Cheers, and thanks for noticing that my analysis had all to do with where you might be on the spectrum of left v right or conservative v liberal, rather than where you stand on independence.  Now, if only others could do the same....  :whistling:

I'm worse, by the way.  I want high-quality public services, but because of where I am in life I know I'll end up getting screwed in taxes to foot the bill.  That's what makes me soft-right economically.  You know what they say; hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.  :ninja:

1 minute ago, Space Mackerel said:

Oh cmon, I’m and everyone else is dealing with trolling and utter lies/misinformation here. There’s not much point in all honesty. 
And I was going about helping my old man in the 70’s selling the SNP paper. From small acorns grow large oaks. 

Look on the bright side.  Whenever it happens, I can't vote.  :laugh:

Roxy Hearts
3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Fitzpatrick sticking in but Zalatoris and Scheffler aren't going away.

Could Matsuyama nip in and steal it all?

McIlroy just about out of it now. 

I'd like to see Fitzpatrick win. Sometimes looks nervous. My mate has a bet on him.

Space Mackerel
12 minutes ago, Ked said:

It's not delivering .

People can’t afford to heat their homes or eat and you want the lowest paid (who need the most healthcare) to pay how much in insurance now? 

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Work that one out. 

As someone who has had and still has addiction problems and considering Scotlands record a good place to start would be the junkie chat being cut.

But to save fuss most junkies and addicts usually have suffered trauma during child hood you yourself are addicted to alcohol.

Scotland and its record on this isn't the SNP fault but is recent policies haven't helped.

It may seem far fetched but I truly believe that many of Scotlands addiction problems stem from a psyche from not governing ourselves.

As for free prescriptions.

There comes a point where the NHS cannot be 100% funded.

There needs to be a price paid for health and people need to figure that out in their outgoings.

A safety net of essential health care yes .

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Look on the bright side.  Whenever it happens, I can't vote.  :laugh:

Its absolutely pointless this thread, just goes round and round and round. I only pop on because it’s last on my list of things to do in life on the internet. 

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I'd like to see Fitzpatrick win. Sometimes looks nervous. My mate has a bet on him.

Afraid I'll have to watch rest in morning as early start tomorrow means I'm calling it a night.

Play like any of them tomorrow and you'll win your own game for sure.

Roxy Hearts
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Afraid I'll have to watch rest in morning as early start tomorrow means I'm calling it a night.

Play like any of them tomorrow and you'll win your own game for sure.

👍

Roxy Hearts
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Our Paisley correspondent, meanwhile, could probably turn Spacey, Jack D, Roxy, and even Nic herself into No voters.

No chance! 🤣

Space Mackerel
7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You quote @Ked's posts, and yet you don't seem to actually read the words before getting your jimmies all rustled by them :( 

I did. He’s inferring some sort of quasi American insurance system of funding. 

I broke my collarbone skiing in Canada. It cost $1100 for 2 shite X-rays to tell me and a $20 sling. 

15 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

People can’t afford to heat their homes or eat and you want the lowest paid (who need the most healthcare) to pay how much in insurance now? 

I didn't say that.

What I'd like is a lower tax economy.

Cause guess what the evidence shows it brings more revenue.

Also the models in Europe produce healthier people and their spend is higher gdp wise .

As for fuel costs.

Get used to it.

There's change needed in what we expect and the overwhelming need is to find a better way to power up not cheaper.

Roxy Hearts
5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Hope that's not you aligning yourself with his 'Scots born only' criterion suggestion for the next indyref?

Absolutely not! If you live in Scotland your perfectly entitled to vote. There's numpties on both sides!

Space Mackerel
6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Yes, but he didn't say it was those who are struggling that would need to pay. The current NHS model is surely unsustainable, so I would imagine that private healthcare scenario may have to come into play anyway, no matter Scotland's constitutional arrangement. Whether that's a good or bad thing will no doubt come down to your political beliefs, but given our increasing obesity levels, the mental health 'crisis' and the cost of providing state of the art healthcare in the mid 20th century, it'd be daft to take some form of private insurance off the table as a measure to improve things, no?

OOI, did your insurance not cover the dunt to the head? 😜 

Whatever happened to taxing business properly and stop blatant profiteering from big pharma? Let them get on with and give them even more money, hand over fist> 

Or are you saying junkies should magically pay for the their own rehabilitation? 

Space Mackerel
9 minutes ago, Ked said:

I didn't say that.

What I'd like is a lower tax economy.

Cause guess what the evidence shows it brings more revenue.

Also the models in Europe produce healthier people and their spend is higher gdp wise .

As for fuel costs.

Get used to it.

There's change needed in what we expect and the overwhelming need is to find a better way to power up not cheaper.

A low tax economy? Low taxes for who? The ones that haven’t had a pay rise for the last 10 years and are vilified in the right wing press for daring to go on strike? 
or the 1% who have seen their assets and fortunes grow astronomically since this QE was introduced in 2008?

jack D and coke
26 minutes ago, Ked said:

As someone who has had and still has addiction problems and considering Scotlands record a good place to start would be the junkie chat being cut.

But to save fuss most junkies and addicts usually have suffered trauma during child hood you yourself are addicted to alcohol.

Scotland and its record on this isn't the SNP fault but is recent policies haven't helped.

It may seem far fetched but I truly believe that many of Scotlands addiction problems stem from a psyche from not governing ourselves.

As for free prescriptions.

There comes a point where the NHS cannot be 100% funded.

There needs to be a price paid for health and people need to figure that out in their outgoings.

A safety net of essential health care yes .

My point is they don’t care about addicts but it’s really just any stick they can beat Scotland with they’ll use. Look how shite we are here imagine how bad it’ll be if we start running it ourselves is the mantra. Always on about people getting free stuff and then almost demanding we start spending more on addicts? They’re beyond parody most of the time. Nobody wants to see a lot of drug problems and it’s hopefully something that we can start to improve on. 
I seen that wee fud Neil Oliver blaming some of Scotlands life expectancy levels on the SNP. That’s just not true it’s been for decades. Scotland has big issues with booze especially.