Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor
12 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I think the point is that the female rulers , and I include Sturgeon in that, have been very divisive 

and pretty crap as well

3 very different women.

Thatcher was a sociopath ideologue.

May was just an ideologue.

Truss was just horribly under-skilled as we found out very quickly.

24 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I think the point is that the female rulers , and I include Sturgeon in that, have been very divisive 

and pretty crap as well

He’s only playing the misogyny card as a deflection yet again . Poor patter really 

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Thats unfair, and you cant just make up a back story,  I will stress I have no issue with women, in fact Nicola is a very good polititian she just has her priorites wrong. The SNP is lucky to have her as Swinney and Humza are serial failures.  She is doing the best for her party. but right now she is granstanding to the faithful giving false hope.  She has read the room wrong

It would be easy for me to then say you are an anti English racist.  Not accurate.  so be careful branding somebody without any evidence.  And I dont know mooth so wont judge either, so dont you

Her Fuhrer

Mad Nics

:tlj:

Have a look at Ruth Davidson's voting record. The 'rape clause' one is a personal favourite.

16 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You'd be on the same wavelength as Mooth. She hates women too. 

That’s like me saying I hate men ! 😂 I think you wil find its Miss sturgeon who is currently trying to ram

through legislation which is against women . 

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

He’s only playing the misogyny card as a deflection yet again . Poor patter really 

There he is. 

The weather vane.

What way is the wind blowing today?

59 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

Hark at all the yoon nawbags this morning having a collective wank-a-thon.

Aww bless you . You seem a wee bit upset 😂🤣😂

Lord Montpelier
4 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Yes and Scotland voted to stay. 

I voted to stay. 

But.. that doesn't mean I want to leave the UK as a result of losing. Many, many others like me. 

The EU vote is not a great signpost for Indy voting intentions. Despite what the SNP might like to think. 

Hagar the Horrible
7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Her Fuhrer

Mad Nics

:tlj:

Have a look at Ruth Davidson's voting record. The 'rape clause' one is a personal favourite.

Your point caller?  Did you see her today?  sorry justified in the ridicule, as was Trump, Putin, Boris, Biden,  anybody in charge of Sevco since their demise. 

So no apology from me,  Since after all she hates tories.  If you have hate rather than a respectful varying view, I think my comments are justified.  Dont promote hate and dont play cards that are not in your hand

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Your point caller?  Did you see her today?  sorry justified in the ridicule, as was Trump, Putin, Boris, Biden,  anybody in charge of Sevco since their demise. 

So no apology from me,  Since after all she hates tories.  If you have hate rather than a respectful varying view, I think my comments are justified.  Dont promote hate and dont play cards that are not in your hand

let the hate flow through you. 😂

Naisys Tackle
12 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

I voted to stay. 

But.. that doesn't mean I want to leave the UK as a result of losing. Many, many others like me. 

The EU vote is not a great signpost for Indy voting intentions. Despite what the SNP might like to think. 

Probably not.  But it's the main reason I personally want a vote on independence.  Not going to scream or shout if it doesn't happen mind you and in the same token I can't understate the extreme hate from some of the SNP even when I don't vote them.  (Labour MP, Lib Dem MSP). 

20 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Scotland didn't have a vote. UK citizens did, and the question was should the UK remain in or leave the EU. 

2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Democracy is at stake from whom? There was a referendum, the answer was no, a bit Trumpesque to disrespect the will of the people.  She has had her fun, back to the day job now please.

She's an agitator. The day job is unappealing to her. She prefers to be in a permanent stage of rage. Sooner or later the SNP are going to be judged on their time in office. It has been an atrocious litany of failure. 

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, pablo said:

Scotland didn't have a vote. UK citizens did, and the question was should the UK remain in or leave the EU. 

Of course Scotland never got a vote.   

So what you have is Scottish people who voted to stay in the Union in fear of leaving the EU after a lot of scaremongering at the time from the remainers.  There is evidence of this being the case because when the EU vote came up Scotland voted to remain but couldn't because it was a UK vote and England decided for us.  

That's why there should now be another vote of independence as I believe there would be a significant swing of people wanting to leave the UK as the main reason for staying was to stay in the EU. 

Lord Montpelier
Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

So what you have is Scottish people who voted to stay in the Union in fear of leaving the EU after a lot of scaremongering at the time from the remainers.  There is evidence of this being the case because when the EU vote came up Scotland voted to remain but couldn't because it was a UK vote and England decided for us.  

That's why there should now be another vote of independence as I believe there would be a significant swing of people wanting to leave the UK as the main reason for staying was to stay in the EU. 

If there are Robbie I've never met any

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Your point caller? 

They are all women who were in a position of power.

You were trying to make out that people who hate Sturgeon do so because she's a woman in power.

Does that also apply to those 3 that I've listed?

1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

I don’t know a single person who voted with staying in the EU on their mind. It’s a myth made up to try and justify another vote. 

Naisys Tackle
Just now, Lord Montpelier said:

If there are Robbie I've never met any

Cool mate.  I know plenty.  Remember there were thousands of voters that are from countries in the EU that live and work here also.   A lot of them were completely distraught at the outcome and a good few have headed away back home which has really harmed our world famous academia structure and placing. 

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

I don’t know a single person who voted with staying in the EU on their mind. It’s a myth made up to try and justify another vote. 

No it's not as I've explained above.  Educationally and Financially placed workers all actively voted to stay because of the EU situation and how it may have taken Scotland 5 or more years to rejoin. 

2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Although the largest quadrant of voters over both votes was of those wishing to remain in both Unions.

Not to mention there hasn't been any movement to Yes since 2014 despite Brexit.

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, pablo said:

Although the largest quadrant of voters over both votes was of those wishing to remain in both Unions.

Not to mention there hasn't been any movement to Yes since 2014 despite Brexit.

The majority are usually the silent types.   

Many wanted to stay in the 1st union to stay in the second but got booted out anyway. 

Lord Montpelier

Wonder if the SNP Chief Executive will be taking steps to review the position of the SNP Party Leader following today's failure. 

Actually, probably not

#nepotism

postage-stamp
1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

It was not a Scottish vote, it was a UK vote.

Knew that before we cast 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

There he is. 

The weather vane.

What way is the wind blowing today?

Lol behave What have I been inconsistent about today ? 

Just walk-in up the royal mile after work, there are a few flag shaggers about and plenty tartan . Must be a protest of some sort I’m guessing 

The Mighty Thor
33 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You were trying to make out that people who hate Sturgeon do so because she's a woman in power.

I'm not sure mate. Is there much of that in preceding 4 or 5 pages?

Have a look and report back. There's a good lad 👍

39 minutes ago, Carter said:

She's an agitator. The day job is unappealing to her. She prefers to be in a permanent stage of rage. Sooner or later the SNP are going to be judged on their time in office. It has been an atrocious litany of failure. 

She’s the “ angry “ one face is often contorted with rage 

35 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yep 

The Mighty Thor
34 minutes ago, Dazo said:

It was a central plank of the last referendum. The only way to stay in the EU was to stay in the UK.

Trotted out by Dave, Milliband, Broon, Clegg and all the branch office bods as nauseum. 

It's not a myth then is it?

Not like you to be on the wrong side of it Dazo 😂

Some of the SNP tweets I've seen shared on this tweet are straight out the Trump handbook.

Otherwise - utterly obvious that this would be the decision if the court accepted the Lord Advocate's referral as valid.

Political games in courts are quite poor. I said before that the SNP seem to know exactly where the lines are on other matters that are reserved under the Scotland Act. Doubt it'll move the needle much at all. Those opposed know fine well that the Scottish Parliament was set up with a specific remit and those in favour will remain in favour anyway.

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It was a central plank of the last referendum. The only way to stay in the EU was to stay in the UK.

Trotted out by Dave, Milliband, Broon, Clegg and all the branch office bods as nauseum. 

It also wasn't a lie. We remained in the EU until a democratic referendum of the whole UK took us out. Scottish indy would've removed us as a default. 

It's a bit hypocritical that she's so concerned about it all now but wasn't in 2014.

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

This line gets trotted out as if it was  a deliberate  lie by "No" politicians .  At the time of Indyref, it WAS the only way for Scotland to stay in the EU.      What eventually happened in 2016 was not known or relevant in 2014.

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

1BBC7141-E864-4987-BCC2-8B2ECB7B3F4F.jpeg

Hopefully he meant appalling, unless mismanagement is appealing. We know it is to some on here, that's for sure.

We knew this would be the ruling before the SNP brought it to the supreme court. 

No surprises.

Can't criticise the SNP from trying every avenue, that is the political mandate given to them by the Scottish people.

All they are doing is exhausting options and if they UK government continue to defy & stifle democratic choice, now & in the future, it will only serve as a recruiting tool for more votes for Independence.

Once all avenues and democratic options are used, eventually leading to a UDI, which will be entirely justifiable if the UK continue to deny Scots the opportunity to determine their future. 

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

It also wasn't a lie. We remained in the EU until a democratic referendum of the whole UK took us out. Scottish indy would've removed us as a default. 

It's a bit hypocritical that she's so concerned about it all now but wasn't in 2014.

Some might even call it 'a material change'. 🤔

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

This line gets trotted out as if it was  a deliberate  lie by "No" politicians .  At the time of Indyref, it WAS the only way for Scotland to stay in the EU.      What eventually happened in 2016 was not known or relevant in 2014.

Au contraire. The ERG and the Brexit headbangers were around in 2014. They'd been around since 1974. 

Call me Dave knew he'd have to address them and deal with it. 

He didn't dream up the Brexit referendum on hogmanay 2015. 

Like all the other 'project fear' bullshit of 2014 it dissolves on contact with scrutiny. 

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We knew this would be the ruling before the SNP brought it to the supreme court. 

No surprises.

Can't criticise the SNP from trying every avenue, that is the political mandate given to them by the Scottish people.

All they are doing is exhausting options and if they UK government continue to defy & stifle democratic choice, now & in the future, it will only serve as a recruiting tool for more votes for Independence.

Once all avenues and democratic options are used, eventually leading to a UDI, which will be entirely justifiable if the UK continue to deny Scots the opportunity to determine their future. 

Now now you must remember it's a 'union of equals' 

It's just that some are more equal than others. 

jack D and coke
Just now, Cruyff said:

This is exactly what it is. 
This idea has been floated for at least a couple of years and no one expected anything other than the ruling issued today. 
Like you say it was a method of testing. 
It gives them a little more fuel is all and I have my doubts whether they’ll do much with it. 
Incidentally I reckon No would be bigger this time especially if they had it within 12 months so I suspect they’ll be relieved. 
This current snp haven’t shifted the dials at all.
I feel quite cynical about NS and this current lot that It’s just been like a way to hold on to power and for NS to globetrot and get herself recognised for a big job when she leaves post. 

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

No surprises.

Do they not have a mandate to manage Health Service, improve education standards, improve transport systems in Scotland, improve Scotland's infrastructure and work for every Scottish citizen?

Seems they and their supporters pick and choose what parts of mandate they pursue.

As for UDI, they haven't bottle as it would end their careers on gravy train.

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

This is exactly what it is. 
This idea has been floated for at least a couple of years and no one expected anything other than the ruling issued today. 
Like you say it was a method of testing. 
It gives them a little more fuel is all and I have my doubts whether they’ll do much with it. 
Incidentally I reckon No would be bigger this time especially if they had it within 12 months so I suspect they’ll be relieved. 
This current snp haven’t shifted the dials at all.
I feel quite cynical about NS and this current lot that It’s just been like a way to hold on to power and for NS to globetrot and get herself recognised for a big job when she leaves post. 

Absolutely. The SNP have been kicking the can down the road for years. Sturgeon needs to go and new people with new ideas need to come in. 

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“ will of the people “ only when it suits them 

http://action4equalityscotland.blogspot.com/2022/11/the-snpgreens-dont-own-scottish.html

Now now, we can't be seen to question the FM or her little pet green.

Think you need to accept that majority of Scotland must be wrong as FM never ever wrong, on any subject at any time.

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Absolutely. The SNP have been kicking the can down the road for years. Sturgeon needs to go and new people with new ideas need to come in. 

Who is next in line? Unless Mr Murrell and his executive of nodding dogs go, it will just be more of same.

There seems to be quite a few examples of reverse logic and downright irony in the positions of both the UK govt and the Scottish govt over another Indyref.  A few examples -  

UK Govt (Brexit wing of Conservative party) campaigned on "taking back control" from the union they were a member of (EU), but now want to deny the same opportunity to the Scottish Govt (SNP)

Scottish Govt (SNP) willing to risk trade barrier with nearest neighbour (England) by including in their manifesto the aim of joining the EU in Scotland becomes independent - same as UK Govt was willing to risk trade barrier with NI  (which they agreed to a compromise on purely for NI but not Scotland).

Scottish  Govt (SNP)  moans about having a "fixed budget" as the reason for not giving bigger pay rises to public workers (rather than increase Scottish taxes)  - i.e.  UK Govt fault for not giving more money to Scotland - yet wants to become  reliant solely on  Scotland's residents for its income after independance when they probably will have to increase Scottish taxes and start running a deficit based on borrowing.

Lord Montpelier
2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Who is next in line? Unless Mr Murrell and his executive of nodding dogs go, it will just be more of same.

Shirley Ann Somerville would be my bet. Sturgeon clone. 

I really do admire the SNPs ability to keep their fans on side. They've just gained another 10 months or so of blame shifting and their voters will go along with it. 

Might be a bit bother down holyrood later as I passed no long ago and SNP folk on one side and handful of others with union jacks on other side of the road