Celtic to be served court summons

Forever Hearts

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Statistically there'll be a good number of abuse victims reading this thread too, so I also hope the subject's treated with the respect it deserves and doesn't get cheapened by football point scoring.

Well said

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Mikey1874

• Sir PH

• buzzbomb1958

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Naisys Tackle
30 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I think you are missing the point.  It happens in schools public/private, Scouts, Boys Brigage, sports clubs everywhere, from time immemororial,  But its the enormous scale, there are scores of victims and survivors, by a profession football club, this is institutional on an industrial scale, its horrific. 

I’m not missing the point.  The point is the group could have been employed by any club at the time.  It just happens to be Celtic.  It’s a gang of scummy nonces that probably got jobs for their pals when in power.  

I hope the victims and their families are awarded significant compensation. It won’t do much to make up for the hell they’ve lived through, but it might go someway to setting precedent that covering it up and the general unsavoury way the club have behaved in trying to absolve themselves of responsibility is never again repeated. 

It’s shocking it’s taken them decades to get to this point. Can’t imagine the difficulty the first few faced coming forward. Hopefully justice is done.

This  has dragged on for far to long now the victims need and want justice now it happened time to take the blame no more sweeping under the carpet 

How Celtic's pals at Sky Sports reported this back in October 2021 :-

"A number of senior figures at Celtic Boys Club, which was not officially connected to Celtic FC, have been jailed for sexual abuse; a group of around 25 survivors are set to launch legal action against Celtic FC, with its aim to determine if the club is legally responsible for the abuse"

"A number of senior figures at the boys club, which was not formally affiliated with Celtic FC, have been jailed for sex abuse."

Hagar the Horrible
1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

I’m not missing the point.  The point is the group could have been employed by any club at the time.  It just happens to be Celtic.  It’s a gang of scummy nonces that probably got jobs for their pals when in power.  

You asked if this could happen at all clubs, it has on a smaller scale, it was handled better by everybody else.  But on that sclae NO it could only be at Celtic where it could be done on  such a huge scale, It is how the church operated with impunity, and Celtic are the same vehicle,  Guilt, loyalty, shame, external pressure, god.  Yes they could have been employed at any club, but not all of them. this was a ring.  Everywhere else was somebody who slipped through the net.  In Celtics case, there just was no net.  Its not just about those who were convicted, they were facilitated.  Jesus just googlr Saville and Celtic,  that guy used charity as a vehicle for his crimes, Celtic like Saville got help a lot of it, and they had the mechanism to hide it.  Its out in the open now, but the club still thinks they can contain it.  They are only sorry they got caught.  Trust me they will end up VICTIMIDATING everybody else on this.

3 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

It definitely wasn't just Celtic. But they've had six employees found guilty already and they even brought Jim Torbett back to Celtic Park to work despite him previously being booted out for abusing children. It's all on the Spotlight twitter page and I suggest everybody reads it. It is truly horrifying what went on there. 

That’s troubling reading the Spotlight Twitter feed. Known paedophiles kicked out from Celtic interfering with kids backed by well known players, managers and board members. One was given a job at the club after a conviction for sexually assaulting a child. Incredible. 

Forever Hearts
30 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

That’s troubling reading the Spotlight Twitter feed. Known paedophiles kicked out from Celtic interfering with kids backed by well known players, managers and board members. One was given a job at the club after a conviction for sexually assaulting a child. Incredible. 

This is mind-boggling. Who deemed this guy the right person to carry out a child abuse investigation? 

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1430872166908768258

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

As a matter of interest has anyone got access to the Celtic fan's threads to see their reaction ?

Apparently if you mention it on Kerrydale Street you get banned. 

AlphonseCapone

Surely the abuse of children in football, and probably sport more generally, needs a public inquiry. It's a systemic issue. 

12 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Ah just like our fans would be banned from this site for daring to discuss Graham Rix or Craig Thomson.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Chillidigits said:

Ah just like our fans would be banned from this site for daring to discuss Graham Rix or Craig Thomson.

There are numerous threads about Craig Thomson's actions.  I'm equally sure that there are similar threads on Rix's past.

Here is one with a poll and 824 replies.  There was never a bar on discussing the subject on JKB.

They were both discussed in different threads last week. 

You're being sarcastic, I guess.

Lets face it some hate 1 many more than the other ,some hate equally cant see that changing 

Psychedelicropcircle
8 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Trying to run away from responsibilities seems to be a trait in both halves of the OF.

Vhic-Tims.

2 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

Stop fishing pal.

9 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I don't understand why Celtic can claim their boys club was a separate entity, when any decent footballers from the boys club would go on to play for Celtic, they play in the exact same strips as Celtic, and the whole reason they joined that boys club was to play first team football for Celtic, it seems a desperate argument to me. 

yup, a bit like the Newco argument in reverse. One for the courts.

3 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

In your case I think a ban would be deserved.

So obvious.

3 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

Oooops.

Apologies

JimboJambo1874
12 hours ago, Smithee said:

Statistically there'll be a good number of abuse victims reading this thread too, so I also hope the subject's treated with the respect it deserves and doesn't get cheapened by football point scoring.

Absolutely right. Can't imagine the pain these poor people must felt their whole lives. Sadly, some people use serious issues like this to have a pop at others. Football is just a game, it's a sideshow when talking about issues like this. I hope there is a just end to all of this. Celtic need to co-operate and investigate this thoroughly. 

JimboJambo1874
8 hours ago, OTT said:

I hope the victims and their families are awarded significant compensation. It won’t do much to make up for the hell they’ve lived through, but it might go someway to setting precedent that covering it up and the general unsavoury way the club have behaved in trying to absolve themselves of responsibility is never again repeated. 

It’s shocking it’s taken them decades to get to this point. Can’t imagine the difficulty the first few faced coming forward. Hopefully justice is done.

The fact that it's taken this long adds insult to injury. Anyone who is found to have covered this up is complicit. People send their children to play sport, pleased to see them involved in something positive, only for devious and wicked men to pray on the innocent. 

Guest ToqueJambo

This whole thing is horrible. Celtic need to do the right thing and apologise and compensate the victims (using the many millions lying around in their bank account they like to boast about) instead of putting them through a court case, especially if their entire defence seems to be Celtic Boys Club was nothing to do with Celtic Football Club.

JimboJambo1874
12 hours ago, Barack said:

Systemic abuse probably still not uncovered yet either at other club's.

If the light shines on Celtic; rightly, then it should wake others up into starting their own enquiries & investigations. Everyone should be held to account.

These kinds of threads at some stage, turn into whataboutery. Hope the issues that are discussed, are as a wider societal issue, than simply tarring one individual club. Be it the OF, Hibs, Hearts...whoever. 

Correct. This is not about a football. This is about children(could have been anyone one of us) being abused by men who absolutely know they have done something despicable. This will hopefully now encourage others to come forward. Couldn't care less if it's a football club, rugby team or tennis club. Children are sent by their parents in good faith to play sport. We trust other adults to treat our children well. These men have knowingly chosen evil. I am not interested in point scoring against a particular football and I'm pleased that you have brought this up. This a much bigger issue. It's not some petty exercise is saying your team are this, that and the other. As men, we have an absolute duty to challenge this kind of behaviour and call it out for what it is. Lets hope for justice. Failure to deliver justice will be a slap in the face to all victims. Lets hope the authorities do the right thing.

JimboJambo1874
3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

There are numerous threads about Craig Thomson's actions.  I'm equally sure that there are similar threads on Rix's past.

Here is one with a poll and 824 replies.  There was never a bar on discussing the subject on JKB.

This corrupt, vile and perverse behaviour should be called out wherever it happens. No matter where. Every organistion, whether be a football club or otherwise has a duty to investigate claims. This does not mean condemning someone based on a accusation alone obviously, but a thorough and honest investigation with a view to finding the truth. It's the very least that we can do for people who have been victims of this kind of horrendous abuse. In this case, Celtic need to step up and pursue justice for the people who have been let down by those who should have been looking out for them.

JimboJambo1874
5 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

As a matter of interest has anyone got access to the Celtic fan's threads to see their reaction ?

Lets hope that they are all united in demanding justice. After all, it was people like them, football fans who stepped in an environment where they should have been protected and encouraged. Anyone who looks the other way needs to come face to face with one of the victims.

Neverforgetfiveone
12 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Isn't that what some of the English clubs have done. Apologized and paid compensation to the victims. That is exactly what I would expect every club/institution should do if it happened there. I would expect the same thing if it has/had happened at hearts 

Celtic can’t afford liability 

JimboJambo1874
8 hours ago, OTT said:

Given the financial resources of that football club, there is no reason that the sums paid out should not be significant. It's the very least they can do. More than anything however, a genuine apology for a) allowing it to happen and b) not dealing with earlier, many years earlier.

JimboJambo1874
5 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Banned? They should all be demanding justice. Those young people where just like them, fans of a football team. They should have been living their dream, playing football for the team you love. Looking the other way is totally unacceptable. Why don't the Green Brigade have a banner demanding justice for the victims? They hold up a banner for just about everything else.

5 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Surely the abuse of children in football, and probably sport more generally, needs a public inquiry. It's a systemic issue. 

You're right to point that out.  I think there have been revelations in swimming and gymnastics already, probably  happened in other sports too.    It  seems  there's only recently been safeguarding protections for young people in sports clubs - no idea if its enough to stop a potential abuser/paedo getting in to a position of  being the coach of young teenagers.   From what these brave English footballers described a couple of years ago, youngsters are put in an impossible position because their hopes of becoming a star in their sport are totally in the hands of their abusive coach, so there's an awful  pressure to say nothing.     Desperately sad to think what that must do to a youngster psyche.

JimboJambo1874

Given that the Green Brigade love to display banners, normally around various social justice issues, are we going to see one demanding justice for their fellow supporters? Those young supporters who were abused by people they should have been able to trust. Come on then, lets see you stand up for the victims in this case. I expect an enormous banner demanding that the authorities seek justice for the victims. Watching and waiting.

12 hours ago, Smithee said:

👏

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, JimboJambo1874 said:

Banned? They should all be demanding justice. Those young people where just like them, fans of a football team. They should have been living their dream, playing football for the team you love. Looking the other way is totally unacceptable. Why don't the Green Brigade have a banner demanding justice for the victims? They hold up a banner for just about everything else.

Celtic's "more than a club" thing is as much a myth as Hibs flair. We've shown them up on this numerous times from Big Hearts to paying a living wage to charities as shirt sponsors.

JimboJambo1874
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Celtic's "more than a club" thing is as much a myth as Hibs flair. We've shown them up on this numerous times from Big Hearts to paying a living wage to charities as shirt sponsors.

They need to put their money where their mouth is. It's all good and well flying Palestinian flags and the GB helping the homeless. However, now is the time for them to stand and fully investigate this. Honestly, if the GB did fly a banner for this, I might see them in a different light. I might actually believe that they have genuine concerns about the well being of other people. Failure to do so only confirms that they are selective about the 'causes' they care about. This is not some anti-Celtic jibe. This needs to be investigated wherever it happens. Football fans should be united in encouraging victims to come forward. In terms of how we operate, you're absolutely right. You need only look at recent photos of Doddie Weir to understand why MND Scotland is an incredibly worthwhile charity. Extremely sad to see how it affects people. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, JimboJambo1874 said:

They need to put their money where their mouth is. It's all good and well flying Palestinian flags and the GB helping the homeless. However, now is the time for them to stand and fully investigate this. Honestly, if the GB did fly a banner for this, I might see them in a different light. I might actually believe that they have genuine concerns about the well being of other people. Failure to do so only confirms that they are selective about the 'causes' they care about. This is not some anti-Celtic jibe. This needs to be investigated wherever it happens. Football fans should be united in encouraging victims to come forward. In terms of how we operate, you're absolutely right. You need only look at recent photos of Doddie Weir to understand why MND Scotland is an incredibly worthwhile charity. Extremely sad to see how it affects people. 

Yes this is bigger than football. The GB should absolutely be pressuring their club if they were a genuine social movement. Instead it is showing them up for the empty vessels they are.

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

You're right to point that out.  I think there have been revelations in swimming and gymnastics already, probably  happened in other sports too.    It  seems  there's only recently been safeguarding protections for young people in sports clubs - no idea if its enough to stop a potential abuser/paedo getting in to a position of  being the coach of young teenagers.   From what these brave English footballers described a couple of years ago, youngsters are put in an impossible position because their hopes of becoming a star in their sport are totally in the hands of their abusive coach, so there's an awful  pressure to say nothing.     Desperately sad to think what that must do to a youngster psyche.

There's a Netflix documentary about the USA gymnastics physio, Larry something, and it's horrifying but powerful. 

6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

This whole thing is horrible. Celtic need to do the right thing and apologise and compensate the victims (using the many millions lying around in their bank account they like to boast about) instead of putting them through a court case, especially if their entire defence seems to be Celtic Boys Club was nothing to do with Celtic Football Club.

Seems an awful paper thin line to be going to court hanging your hat on the judge agreeing the boys club was a separate entity entirely. They are either very confident they can prove it, or they are buying time and intend to settle. I think the last thing they will want to happen is it coming out in court that Jock Stein knew and did little or nothing, the man with full control of every aspect of the club, including the ‘non affiliated’ boys club.

I think they will settle but it’s going to take huge amounts and we’ll never find out how much that’s for sure.

Edited by JimmyCant

7 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

There's a Netflix documentary about the USA gymnastics physio, Larry something, and it's horrifying but powerful. 

Yeah I watched that, absolutely awful, those poor lassies.

7 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

There is a book about it (Start By Believing) which lays out the abuse in black and white. Unbelievable how he got away with it for decades at the top level. 

And of course, helped by people in senior positions turning a blind eye. 

My only interest is that the lads who were abused at CBC get justice and some closure and peace of mind.

Felt the same when the Neely/Hibs story emerged.

Child abuse is neither a derby day bragging right nor a topic for a jolly matchday singalong.

Interloping Hibby, take note.

• 3 months later...
Hagar the Horrible

Boys club abuse survivors can go ahead to persue multi million pound law suit

Lord Arthurson gave permission as again Celtic tries to squirm out of it by pretending they were diffferent entities, NO SHAME

John Findlay

Was always going to be the case.

Look how other clubs have behaved, then there is Celtic FC.

Desmond McDermott better check his bank account, because he is going to be writing and signing a cheque for millions of pounds.

Colonel Kurtz

This is the same  defence the Catholic church used saying individual branches of their churches eg Boston were seperate from the Vatican  this was shameless and ultimately failed   when newspapers shown a "spotlight" on it.

The  Scottish media has been complicit 

Manchester City have behaved with dignity and honour.

Look for a Prince Andrew settlement now

Spitonastranger

Hopefully the Green Brigade will raise the issue at matches with banners etc to get their club to take action 🙈🙉🙊:sarcasm:

• davemclaren locked this topic