****Official Hearts v Hibs Match Thread****

Wee Mikey

34 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sorry but few were quick to have a go at previous manager's about nice football, that's two games we're we have played nice football but ultimately we haven't won, against two teams that we are challenging this season, we now need to get a draw or win at either Pittodrie or Easter Road. 

Certainly makes it interesting, and judging by some comments on here we will finish ahead of Aberdeen and Hibs easy, so what i would put to you, if we don't finish ahead of them this season, what should happen long term, because we have a better squad than both Aberdeen and Hibs according to some on here so what would be the problem? 

I've never had a go at stendel (let's face it, that's who you're talking about) for nice football.

For displaying poor judgement and a lack of pragmatism, yes.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

• Bazzas right boot

• CloustonHMFC

Just now, feej said:

Could we not sacrifice Cochrane or Kingsley in order to give Boyce a bit more support up front.

Both played well today so it's nothing to do with performance but we need to be more of a threat up front.

That's a bit much, I reckon the gods will be happy with a wee prayer before bed.

Byyy The Light
Just now, Robbo-Jambo said:

Very good point.

We have a very attack minded squad but will it be fully utilised.

I think it will once the new guys are up to speed.

We absolutely dominated the centre of the pitch today. Beni and Haring feeding a match sharp Wooburn, GMS and McKay will create loads 

1 minute ago, feej said:

Could we not sacrifice Cochrane or Kingsley in order to give Boyce a bit more support up front.

Both played well today so it's nothing to do with performance but we need to be more of a threat up front.

Boyce was really isolated up there today compounded with the fact he had a very poor game by his standards.

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Someone needs to be in the centre forward position. Boyce does a lot of work but he’s often not where you’d expect the CF to be. Not the first time I’ve noticed this. 

I agree that we need someone in the penalty box, and that man is Boyce. It is difficult to tell when just sitting watching if he is being asked to drop back a little to collect the balls being played forward. If he is the problem that creates is the man that should be in the box isn't, and everything has a habit of then grinding to a halt. I don't think playing Gnandduillet up front with him is the answer, we need someone coming from a little deeper who can get into the box as an additional option. For me GMS was achieving that towards the end of last season, and I still think we are wasting him a bit by asking him to play wider left rather than through the middle. I think he did enough to stay on the park today, the only real change I thought we could have tried was to remove Haring in midfield and bring on either Ginnelly or McKay to play as a more forward thinking midfielder to assist those up front (Woodburn I'm guessing was done in hence his substituion as well).

I don't think we achieved enough to win the game but certainly didn't deserve to lose it, and while a win would have been very, very welcome a share of the points was probably the correct outcome. Means the major winners over the weekend were actually Rangers, and they didn't look overly convincing against St Johnstone, but have enough players getting into the opposition box, increasing the chances of scoring.

1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:

I think it will once the new guys are up to speed.

We absolutely dominated the centre of the pitch today. Beni and Haring feeding a match sharp Wooburn, GMS and McKay will create loads 

Yeah, we're 3 wins 2 draws from 5 games and there's clearly a lot more to come. Exciting times!

Just now, Smithee said:

That's a bit much, I reckon the gods will be happy with a wee prayer before bed.

Lol, but do we need both in the team, Cochrane doesn't offer much going forward, would be happy with just Kingsley

3 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

For me lots of positives today. Subs wise I would have had Gnando before Gino. Would have had an aerial threat and better yay holding the ball up than Boyce 

Was thinking the same myself. Gnando might just've made the aerial threat it looked like we needed, particularly in the last 15 minutes. Never saw the whole game but from what i saw, we are still pretty light upfront. Said before (for months as it goes) we need another striker in and although we did okay defensively, we're not going to get away with playing fullbacks as centre-halves for the rest of the season. Two priorities that haven't been sorted or not seen as important enough. Had Craig Gordon to thank yet again although their keeper did well as well, very un-derby-like! Shame that own-goal didn't go in, could've been sitting top with five played. They made a big deal of how Hibs have started the season well but they've still to play harder teams. Hopefully when they play them we can capitalize against the so-called lesser teams.

Overall.....quite happy not to have lost, same as all the other League games this season so far, as i said, thanks to Craig Gordon.

still believe we need more attacking players on the park. Starting with 7 defensive players & 3 attacking players. Some times today I felt we had the ball in the attacking third but vastly outnumbered. Crying out for a Hartley type midfielder who finds space.

3 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I agree that we need someone in the penalty box, and that man is Boyce. It is difficult to tell when just sitting watching if he is being asked to drop back a little to collect the balls being played forward. If he is the problem that creates is the man that should be in the box isn't, and everything has a habit of then grinding to a halt. I don't think playing Gnandduillet up front with him is the answer, we need someone coming from a little deeper who can get into the box as an additional option. For me GMS was achieving that towards the end of last season, and I still think we are wasting him a bit by asking him to play wider left rather than through the middle. I think he did enough to stay on the park today, the only real change I thought we could have tried was to remove Haring in midfield and bring on either Ginnelly or McKay to play as a more forward thinking midfielder to assist those up front (Woodburn I'm guessing was done in hence his substituion as well).

I don't think we achieved enough to win the game but certainly didn't deserve to lose it, and while a win would have been very, very welcome a share of the points was probably the correct outcome. Means the major winners over the weekend were actually Rangers, and they didn't look overly convincing against St Johnstone, but have enough players getting into the opposition box, increasing the chances of scoring.

Good post and you’re probably right about Boyce. I liked the 3-5-2 at the end of the season with Boyce and GMS the two. 

Just now, Jeff said:

What a player Beningime is by the way

Was outstanding today. Haring was excellent as well but went off his game a wee bit after his knock/injury. 

17 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Gnando should have come on for something different for the last twenty minutes.

That last period of the game we never looked like scoring. They looked more likely towards the end. 😏.

Agreed

28 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It was a bad mistake taking GMS off. He’s the sort of player that when he gets in his groove he’ll make things happen. Just coming onto his game and he’s subbed. ****ing crazy. 

Yip. He was having a great spell. Keep him on for another 10.

Predetermined substitution IMO. 

Woodburn too was looking a threat as they were tiring in the face of our pressure.

( if he was actually limping / stretching etc. ( which I never spotted ) then fair enough) 

Just now, HillmanHearts said:

Yip. He was having a great spell. Keep him on for another 10.

Predetermined substitution IMO. 

Woodburn too was looking a threat as they were tiring in the face of our pressure.

( if he was actually limping / stretching etc. ( which I never spotted ) then fair enough) 

I thought Woodburn played well today and looked like he had a moment of magic in him. Never noticed him stretching either but fair enough if that was the case. 

46 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sorry but few were quick to have a go at previous manager's about nice football, that's two games we're we have played nice football but ultimately we haven't won, against two teams that we are challenging this season, we now need to get a draw or win at either Pittodrie or Easter Road. 

Certainly makes it interesting, and judging by some comments on here we will finish ahead of Aberdeen and Hibs easy, so what i would put to you, if we don't finish ahead of them this season, what should happen long term, because we have a better squad than both Aberdeen and Hibs according to some on here so what would be the problem? 

I totally get the points you are making but we also have to take into consideration, that we have just come back up, stats show that home teams in the Derby don't do so well when they go for it also we have just brought in some new players who didn't figure today and also it was Savages first window. I am sure we would have been looking at strikers in the last window but not everything comes off. If we take this window as a new start then the future looks good. I did like how our front 3 played tight passes and got defenders twisting but there does have to be an end product. Hopefully in the next few games we will see some goals. 

Boyce is the wrong man in this system. Bob wants to adopt this formation (which is decent) and is shoe horning a poacher just because he's our star man.

They're launching long balls at him and all he can do is jump and nudge. And up against a decent centreback he can't even challenge enough to create a decent second ball for people to compete for as they win it all day long.

He wants far too long on the ball as well for a lone striker. Even when presented with a chance he doddles on it. He's far too interested in being a link up man than the poacher he was signed to be.

4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 with him in the 10...otherwise try Gnando or Woodburn up top.

portobellojambo1
8 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Was thinking the same myself. Gnando might just've made the aerial threat it looked like we needed, particularly in the last 15 minutes. Never saw the whole game but from what i saw, we are still pretty light upfront. Said before (for months as it goes) we need another striker in and although we did okay defensively, we're not going to get away with playing fullbacks as centre-halves for the rest of the season. Two priorities that haven't been sorted or not seen as important enough. Had Craig Gordon to thank yet again although their keeper did well as well, very un-derby-like! Shame that own-goal didn't go in, could've been sitting top with five played. They made a big deal of how Hibs have started the season well but they've still to play harder teams. Hopefully when they play them we can capitalize against the so-called lesser teams.

Overall.....quite happy not to have lost, same as all the other League games this season so far, as i said, thanks to Craig Gordon.

Have you really seen any evidence which suggests Gnanduillet has the aerial presence that someone of his height should really have. I do think it would be helpful if there was another player who could assist Boyce in and around the penalty area, but the way we play I'd more inclined to be looking for a forward player who is more comfortable with the ball on the ground, as most of our play around the penalty area involves keeping the ball on thr ground. Any flick ons, usually from balls delivered by Craig Gordon, tend to come from the head of Boyce and when he drops a little back to perform that task he is then missing in the penalty area.

21 minutes ago, Gambo said:

It has been a gripe many of us have.

Whilst we do get others in and around the box they are primarily defensive minded players who don't carry the same attacking instinct of primarily forward/attack thinking players.

The squad is there to be more attack focused......is the manager?

The whole reason we signed McEneff was because he was supposedly box-to-box and a goal threat. Seems to have dropped out of things, unsurprisingly. He's got enough pace to get in and around the penalty area and threaten a goal. Definitely need to finds a striker from somewhere though, too much expectation on Boyce to be honest.

10 minutes ago, Jeff said:

What a player Beningime is by the way

Was laughing every time he goes to challenge as you know he comes out with the ball and then actually finds a player in Hearts top...like watching the janny at Primary school back in the day joining in with the kids...its ridiculous how good he is at this level...absolute joy to watch him in a Hearts jersey...

What I found a bit frustrating today was Boyce again isolated and coming too deep to pick up a ball, when he should be in the box or further forward. I’m not sure how the coaching staff can fix this. We had a few good balls played into good areas across the 6 yard line and nobody on the end. 

Jambof3tornado
24 minutes ago, feej said:

2 holding mids plus 3 centre backs plus 2 wing backs that are really full backs that defend 1st and foremost.

Thats 7 from ten outfield players that know how to defend better than they do attack.

32 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

This.

I not noticed many folk having a go at him this season.

Folk just make stuff up. 😏

Not long into the game guy along from me called him a waste of a jersey . His mate was giving GMS dogs abuse before half time 

Didn't get their names and not making it up

1 minute ago, Captain Sausage said:

Entertaining 90 minutes that we probably edged but I don’t think either side could complain about a point. 

I thought it was a poor game tbh. Maybe expecting too much. 

Thought it was a great watch, hard fought game from 2 decent teams, brilliant to be back at Tynie for a derby! Plenty positives today and team will only get stronger when a few players get games into their legs, Would rather concentrate on the positives! Can’t believe some of the drivel that gets regurgitated by the same old posters on here! Looking forward to a decent season! 

Edited by make a noise

25 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Boyce was really isolated up there today compounded with the fact he had a very poor game by his standards.

I think his poor game meant he was isolated. If he held the ball up better and linked play better he wouldn’t have seemed so isolated. I like the formation, but think the wing backs are a bit of an issue in an attacking sense. Cochrane is a decent player but seems reluctant to really attack a player. Halliday probably better for games against the lesser sides. 

4 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Have you really seen any evidence which suggests Gnanduillet has the aerial presence that someone of his height should really have. I do think it would be helpful if there was another player who could assist Boyce in and around the penalty area, but the way we play I'd more inclined to be looking for a forward player who is more comfortable with the ball on the ground, as most of our play around the penalty area involves keeping the ball on thr ground. Any flick ons, usually from balls delivered by Craig Gordon, tend to come from the head of Boyce and when he drops a little back to perform that task he is then missing in the penalty area.

I wouldn't say, never have, that Gnando is a target man, he looks the type to prefer link-ups and trying to get a shot away or make a pass. However, he's one of the tallest players we have available and it gives us something else for the opposition's defence to think about. Ideally, a busy wee striker sniffing around the penalty area would be a better option but we can only play with what we have available. It may have worked, or may not but handy to have around at corners or free kicks, even for flick-ons. 

On a seperate note, (never saw the other substitutes available), was Walker on the bench? If anyone could've sneaked us a winner it could've been him. Can fairly hit a hard ball when he wants to and with it being a derby match, i'd have thought he was an option.

Thought it was a really decent game. Their time wasting was infuriating as was the referee though. 
A draw was fair and although disappointed felt some players were superb - Benni, Woody, Gordon and Boyce.

Hibs are very one dimensional though.  And whoever says Porteous is worth over seven figures should have their heads examined. 

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It was a poor game of football for me. Still feel lack of creativity is our major issue and feel we overplay to much. 

Beni is stand out for us, and think he will be away relatively quickly as he’s better than this by quite a bit. Boyce playing up top isolated is pointless, he doesnt retain the ball well enough. Halket gives me the fear. Craig Gordon needs ****ing cloned, he make such a difference to this team. I thought McKay looked bright when he came on and Woodburn has  something about him..

Overall disappointed with today’s a performance felt we had more to offer. They are also ****ing pish and the fact we didn’t turn them over annoys me.

Ditto , they were there for the taking, but Gordon earned his money today keeping us in the game 👏👏👏

Boyce dropping deeper into the number 10 role has paid off in some matches, but to me it's the weakest part of our 3-4-3 formation.

I wouldn't split up that partnership between Haring and Baningime so we either need Woodburn (or Halliday if played) to form that link up to the striker through the middle. Or we sacrifice one of the wing-backs and have Haring drop deeper into defence if one of the back 3 has to provide cover out wide when we are facing an attack. 

I was desperate for Gnando to join in the attack when the game was stretched - we need something that just provides a more cohesive attack or another body in the box at times. 

Otherwise, lots to be happy with and watching Beni and Woodburn is a joy. 

3 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Boyce dropping deeper into the number 10 role has paid off in some matches, but to me it's the weakest part of our 3-4-3 formation.

I wouldn't split up that partnership between Haring and Baningime so we either need Woodburn (or Halliday if played) to form that link up to the striker through the middle. Or we sacrifice one of the wing-backs and have Haring drop deeper into defence if one of the back 3 has to provide cover out wide when we are facing an attack. 

I was desperate for Gnando to join in the attack when the game was stretched - we need something that just provides a more cohesive attack or another body in the box at times. 

Otherwise, lots to be happy with and watching Beni and Woodburn is a joy. 

That’s a decent assessment mate

portobellojambo1
7 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I wouldn't say, never have, that Gnando is a target man, he looks the type to prefer link-ups and trying to get a shot away or make a pass. However, he's one of the tallest players we have available and it gives us something else for the opposition's defence to think about. Ideally, a busy wee striker sniffing around the penalty area would be a better option but we can only play with what we have available. It may have worked, or may not but handy to have around at corners or free kicks, even for flick-ons. 

On a seperate note, (never saw the other substitutes available), was Walker on the bench? If anyone could've sneaked us a winner it could've been him. Can fairly hit a hard ball when he wants to and with it being a derby match, i'd have thought he was an option.

He wasn't amongst the subs today.

Whilst it's always dissapointing to drop points to that mob especially at home I can't believe some on here thought it was a poor game. I thought it was a very entertaining game with both sides going for it which made it a good watch. By the time the new year game comes around all our new guys will be settled in and I believe we will turn them over at the piggery. 

Just now, portobellojambo1 said:

He wasn't amongst the subs today.

Ah, ok. Shame though, as he has a decent derby record and could've been the one to replace Woodburn in that floating role around the penalty box. Don't know what's going on regarding Walker to be honest.

3 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Ah, ok. Shame though, as he has a decent derby record and could've been the one to replace Woodburn in that floating role around the penalty box. Don't know what's going on regarding Walker to be honest.

Reading between the lines, he's strugging for match fitness.

Decent enough performance. Would have liked to see Ginnelly dropped back to RWB when Smith went off. Might have allowed us to get Gnando on. Great start to the season though!

It was a good derby.Fine margins is the term used nowadays and no team managed to step over them.Overall Hearts had more possession but Hibs looked dangerous on the break.

Some real positives from today.Benni is superb and could soon invite big bids.

Haring almost back to his best.

Gordon Scotlands no 1.

Woodburn will soon look a very class act.

We have not really seen what Moore or McKay or Devlin can do.

Lots to look forward to this season for Hearts and us fans.

Hibs are decent.Doig was better defensively than I expected.They depend a lot on Boyle to turn games.

Nisbet is decent but soft and is well overrated.

Watched on a Sky feed today. The camera focused on Robbie at one point and he was screaming”Boycie, Boycie!  10, 10,”. And holding up ten fingers. No doubt he is being told to play deeper. 

4 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

It was a good derby.Fine margins is the term used nowadays and no team managed to step over them.Overall Hearts had more possession but Hibs looked dangerous on the break.

Some real positives from today.Benni is superb and could soon invite big bids.

Haring almost back to his best.

Gordon Scotlands no 1.

Woodburn will soon look a very class act.

We have not really seen what Moore or McKay or Devlin can do.

Lots to look forward to this season for Hearts and us fans.

Hibs are decent.Doig was better defensively than I expected.They depend a lot on Boyle to turn games.

Nisbet is decent but soft and is well overrated.

Good post👍

A far better performance than against the Dons with far more chances created by Hearts. If Woodburn and McKay for example get more game time we will continue to improve and hopefully turn draws into wins.

Really enjoyed todays game. Dissapointed not to have won but really encouraged by the performance. The new players Woodward and Mackay look quality,cant wait to see them fully fit. Also thought Haring was looking more himself today and Beni had a great game. Craig Gordan outstanding but you expect that every game.

Looks to me like he we have a very strong and well balanced squad. Recruitment has been excellent.

39 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Boyce is the wrong man in this system. Bob wants to adopt this formation (which is decent) and is shoe horning a poacher just because he's our star man.

They're launching long balls at him and all he can do is jump and nudge. And up against a decent centreback he can't even challenge enough to create a decent second ball for people to compete for as they win it all day long.

He wants far too long on the ball as well for a lone striker. Even when presented with a chance he doddles on it. He's far too interested in being a link up man than the poacher he was signed to be.

4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 with him in the 10...otherwise try Gnando or Woodburn up top.

Seen enough of 4 2 3 1 last season to commit suicide. Boyce was poor today but his contribution thus far is immense. I only say that because you dont change a TEAMS formation in a game because of one person. You replace the person.

best in the land
2 hours ago, StirlingJambo said:

Boyce frustrates me. Great player and a lot of bits to his game are spot on. Just at times when balls are getting put into box his positioning is wrong at times, trying to hang back. Team don’t help him lumping it upto him either.

Feel like Neilson thinks he can never take him off. Big Gnando would have brought something different today.

Agree with this. Boyce makes poor decisions too often and dont feel we're getting the best out of him. 

Cardiff Hearts

Exciting even enthralling match but , in key moments and / or decisions, lacking real quality. Two top 6 sides no doubt. 

Good performance and you can see new players adapting and adding to the choice over time. We still miss an out and out striker / fox in box. Understand the frustration at dropping points at home to them, but they are a fair side too - their goalie was impressive - and Ross, like us, building a squad for the future. 

We’ve stood toe to toe with three Of the top four last season, haven’t looked out of place and been disappointed haven’t beat Aberdeen and Hibs .. keep improving we will be fine and can challenge for minimum third .. lots to look forward to and improvement expected our season will be defined with how we perform away to the bottom six teams .. traditionally a nightmare for us !! FTH 

7 minutes ago, best in the land said:

Agree with this. Boyce makes poor decisions too often and dont feel we're getting the best out of him. 

We definitely don’t. Can be total non existent in a couple games then the following come up with a brace.

Central Belt 1874

Thought Boyce should have came off instead of Woodburn. Didn't really think Boyce was in the game much today. 

Lots more options now though. Can see Neilson trying a few different set ups in the coming weeks.