****Official Hearts v Hibs Match Thread****

Wee Mikey

Just now, GinRummy said:

I can’t really see how anyone could watch that match and not consider us the better side. It’s not even viewing things through maroon tinted glasses. 

we had more possession and i would say we looked the better side, played the better football, had longer spells of dominance and had more chances. I think what made hibs look better than what they were was that they did create a few good chances on the break/counter and did look quite dangerous. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

• Bazzas right boot

• CloustonHMFC

The substitutions made us  worse, When he went to a back 4 Gnado for Woodburn was the call .

Cochrane and Gimelly out wide , would have fancied us to score where as we never looked like scoring in the last 15mins .

Boyce is looking really isolated with this formation as Beni and Haring are both to deep to affect the game offensively. 

4 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

The suit with white trainers today summed him up 

Aye there's slagging off randomly Monkey Heid, Sponge John, Wee Pat, Yogi for being dumb as and so on but Jack Ross, there's just something I can't put my finger on that seriously spooks me.  There is no chance in hell I would trust him, that's for sure. 

3 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

we had more possession and i would say we looked the better side, played the better football, had longer spells of dominance and had more chances. I think what made hibs look better than what they were was that they did create a few good chances on the break/counter and did look quite dangerous. 

Yep, apart from the ‘made them look better’ part I agree. They played quite well but we were better 😀

4 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Aye there's slagging off randomly Monkey Heid, Sponge John, Wee Pat, Yogi for being dumb as and so on but Jack Ross, there's just something I can't put my finger on that seriously spooks me.  There is no chance in hell I would trust him, that's for sure. 

He’s got that John Leslie kinda vibe to him. 

Jambo in Bathgate

Thought it was a good game. We had best chances in first half. Second half Hibs changed it took Scott off and brought defensive midfielder Golic. They then tried to catch us on break. Thought McKay looked good great cross to Ginnelly had he headed across goal Boyce would have scored. Two goalkeepers today earned their corn. Good start to the season. Onwards and upwards to pay back time at Dingwall. 

Edited by Jambo in Bathgate
Addition

51 minutes ago, Badonde said:

343 doesn’t work as smith and Cochrane don’t provide any attacking intent.  I’d play a 433

Gordon

smith souttar halkett Kingsley 

beni devlin/haring

Woodburn 

GMS boyce McKay 

I don't know why people get hung up on formations, they change numerous times during a game.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
9 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Thought it was a good game. We had best chances in first half. Second half Hibs changed it took Scott off and brought defensive midfielder Golic. They then tried to catch us on break. Thought McKay looked good great cross to Ginnelly had he headed across goal Boyce would have scored. Two goalkeepers today earned their corn. Good start to the season. Onwards and upwards to pay back time at Dingwall. 

It’s funny had we gone to Easter road and changed our formation because of Hibs and then brought on a defensive midfielder at half time for an attacker and not won the game Robbie would be getting absolutely slaughtered (like he is anyway) but hopefully folk get the point.

Hibs did everything they could today to not lose. We at least tried to build and play to win.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

1 hour ago, Mister Dee said:

The new players looked good today, but we still miss a creative player -someone who is constantly looking for that killer pass would make all the difference. 

The squad looks better though, & it could be a fun season. 

You don't think Mackay is the man for

that ?

Think he showed today he can be creative 

A draw was a fair result but also a disappointing one.

We need to find a system to incorporate Boyce, Gnando, Woodburn and Mackay. 

I’m not Gnandos biggest fan but we are asking too much of Boyce and we aren’t getting the best out if him in these games…he needs a hand up there.

Mackay looks the only winger capable of making a telling cross so he has to play to get the best out of Gnando.

Gino is showing why he’s had so many clubs in short career……he’s way short of where we want to be. He’ll be back in England next summer imo.

17 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Kind of.  Leslie doesn't hide the fact he's a deviant though.  Ross looks worse. 

10 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

A draw was a fair result but also a disappointing one.

We need to find a system to incorporate Boyce, Gnando, Woodburn and Mackay. 

I’m not Gnandos biggest fan but we are asking too much of Boyce and we aren’t getting the best out if him in these games…he needs a hand up there.

Mackay looks the only winger capable of making a telling cross so he has to play to get the best out of Gnando.

Gino is showing why he’s had so many clubs in short career……he’s way short of where we want to be. He’ll be back in England next summer imo.

Good post and agree with much of what you say. It was a bit disappointing today, but I think we'll continue to improve over the coming weeks as the new guys settle-in and kick-on and that'll show in our results and performances.

Regarding Gino, I wouldn't go writing him off yet, but I do think he has to be contributing more - and scoring / setting-up more goals - than he's looking like doing right now.

SomethingAboutObua

A game of two goalkeepers, probably the most evenly matched and attacking derby in years. Wasteful too often, Liam Boyce was poor and think we should've brought Gnando on for him but other than that happy 

Dont get people singing Halketts praises when he made 3+ serious errors to give Hibs the ball back in defence 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Gambo said:

Couldnae give a hoot about what Hibs manager has to say but disappointed in Neilsons comments though not surprised.

Just shows two negative managers that won’t go any further in the game. Both Levein protégés funnily enough.

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

We've not come that far if a draw at home to them is progress.  Not the mentality we are wanting.  

Unbelievable, you might expect that from someone who doesn’t know much about a derby. Or a Hibs manager. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Badonde said:

343 doesn’t work as smith and Cochrane don’t provide any attacking intent.  I’d play a 433

Gordon

smith souttar halkett Kingsley 

beni devlin/haring

Woodburn 

GMS boyce McKay 

Spot on 

1 hour ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

The suit with white trainers today summed him up 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Creepy Jack

54 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I thought Woodburn going off nullified us, only my opinion of course.

Yip, I thought we were going do it until then. Not that McKay was poor just different I suppose

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Some fans happy with a draw against a pish Hibs team.No way JKB reflects the opinions of the fans anymore 😂😂

It really is a ****ing joke 🙈

Jambo in Bathgate
5 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Some fans happy with a draw against a pish Hibs team.No way JKB reflects the opinions of the fans anymore 😂😂

Never happy with a draw but Hibs are not exactly pish. They set up in the second half not to lose and catch us on the break. Also they have found an OK goalkeeper.  That along with some bizarre refereeing decisions in favour of Hibs made the draw the inevitable result. 

1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

I've figured it out. He's like a creepy guy from scooby doo. 

See the source image

Green pus as well.

Does he wear white trainers with his Cape?

All this shit about “they “ are a good footballing team  is absolutely f*****g laughable not saying they don’t have a few players that can play the game but they play the big oof 

like most Scottish teams ….and imo we need a box to box player if we want to separate us from

the vermin or any other pish and and get ourselves in Europe next season .  FTH forever 

12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It really is a ****ing joke 🙈

Is it?

I've seen plenty draws over the years and I wasnt happy with a draw as I thought we did enough to win.

I've been critical of Neilson .But didnt you see some good football today?

Mackay Steven's takes his chance and Ginelly heads across to Boyce were the result of decent moves.

Most I've spoken with felt Hibs were there for the taking but ive not heard Neilson taking the rap for a change.

Did you not think we played good football today?

I've calmed down now. On reflection it would have been nice to win because we dominated for long parts of the game.

We were let down with lack of striking force - something ongoing since last season.

Hobos had good spells and if it wasn't for Gordon we'd have no points today. This is the best team they've had in years. As I said though, we were all over them majority of the game. This is easily the best team we've had in years as well. 

They're probably going to be our biggest competition this year, I don't think Aberdeen will last the distance as they showed against Motherwell. 

Let's just hope RN actually learns from today, remembers the good pairings like GMS and Woodburn and sticks to the 3 at the back. 

We've still got Devlin and McKay to get properly into the team as well as Woodburn. Going forward I actually feel positive.

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Halkett does so much better in a 3. 

Play Moore if halkett doesn’t perform.  So many times today he had the opportunity to play a quick ball into midfield but decided to take 5 extra touches then the opportunity had gone. Needs to be quicker with his distribution 

1 minute ago, Badonde said:

Play Moore if halkett doesn’t perform.  So many times today he had the opportunity to play a quick ball into midfield but decided to take 5 extra touches then the opportunity had gone. Needs to be quicker with his distribution 

Maybe. Will need to see a bit more of Moore before I decide. I’m not against going to a back 4 but the 3 is working pretty well. What puts me off a wee bit about the back 4 is he’s changed to it during games a couple of times and we’ve lost a bit of impetus. 

Left disappointed not to win, thought we had more in our locker. 

Just watched the highlights on the iPlayer. The GMS and Gino chances are big ones. Hadn't appreciated Gino should have knocked it back across to Boyce at the time. 

10 minutes ago, Sertse said:

I've calmed down now. On reflection it would have been nice to win because we dominated for long parts of the game.

We were let down with lack of striking force - something ongoing since last season.

Hobos had good spells and if it wasn't for Gordon we'd have no points today. This is the best team they've had in years. As I said though, we were all over them majority of the game. This is easily the best team we've had in years as well. 

They're probably going to be our biggest competition this year, I don't think Aberdeen will last the distance as they showed against Motherwell. 

Let's just hope RN actually learns from today, remembers the good pairings like GMS and Woodburn and sticks to the 3 at the back. 

We've still got Devlin and McKay to get properly into the team as well as Woodburn. Going forward I actually feel positive.

Woodburn is a player no doubt about it really enjoyed him on the ball today he gave us a spark and will only get better, but I personally feel we have good players in now but need a player that will link them 

up the amount of balls into

the box when there is nobody there just irks me .

22 minutes ago, One five said:

Woodburn is a player no doubt about it really enjoyed him on the ball today he gave us a spark and will only get better, but I personally feel we have good players in now but need a player that will link them 

Agree 100%, exact same problem we had last season. It needs addressed ASAP.

Just as an aside, this result is food and drink to the OF.  Potential challengers knocking points off each other is as predictable as it's depressing.

2 hours ago, john thomas said:

You don't think Mackay is the man for

that ?

Think he showed today he can be creative 

too early to say -but hope so!

What I’d give for another Hartley/Cameron type of player..

The Future's Maroon
4 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Anyone else think the Porteous boy was actually decent today?

Any other time I've seen him he's been a complete donkey, Doig i over rated, Nisbet obviously doesn't want to be there etc but Porteous and Boyle would be the only two I would take to improve us. 

Sorry, new poster, too many references to Hobo ***** in one post…I smell shite

Could be wrong 😑 

4 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Anyone else think the Porteous boy was actually decent today?

Any other time I've seen him he's been a complete donkey, Doig i over rated, Nisbet obviously doesn't want to be there etc but Porteous and Boyle would be the only two I would take to improve us. 

Nope. We played into their hands by playing long balls to Boyce, who was usually challenged by the taller Porteous, so of course that made him look better than he really is. Press him more like we did a few times today (but not enough) and he looks like a donkey. He's no better than Halkett and is half the player Souttar is (who actually had a poor game today by his standards). 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Just shows two negative managers that won’t go any further in the game. Both Levein protégés funnily enough.

You can definitely tell they have learnt from Levein, cut from the same cloth and it's so noticeable. Their approach to games are scarily similar imo, they have the same mentality.

Edited by Arthur Morgan

3 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Nope. We played into their hands by playing long balls to Boyce, who was usually challenged by the taller Porteous, so of course that made him look better than he really is. Press him more like we did a few times today (but not enough) and he looks like a donkey. He's no better than Halkett and is half the player Souttar is (who actually had a poor game today by his standards). 

That would be the equivalent of saying the majority of teams play into that hands of our defenders?  Souttar is a complete stand out, but he's on par with any other defender scottish in the league.  Just not the huddy I thought and a good age to improve.  Maybe it's because they don't usually have a hard scottish boy at the back.  

Pasquale for King
Just now, Arthur Morgan said:

You can definitely tell they have learnt from Levein, cut from the same cloth and it's so noticeable. Their approach to games are scarily similar imo. They have the same mentality.

Exactly, both enjoyed a no scoring draw. 
Neither will go much higher than where they are now. 

25 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Sorry, new poster, too many references to Hobo ***** in one post…I smell shite

Could be wrong 😑 

100% incorrect.  I hate they *****. 

1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

That would be the equivalent of saying the majority of teams play into that hands of our defenders?  Souttar is a complete stand out, but he's on par with any other defender scottish in the league.  Just not the huddy I thought and a good age to improve.  Maybe it's because they don't usually have a hard scottish boy at the back.  

As I said, press him and the lad struggles, but we didn't do it enough. He couldn't handle Uche, he wouldn't have handled big Gnando which is why we should have brought him on imo.

part_time_jambo
9 hours ago, Section Q said:

Hopefully things can slow down a bit in the second half. Hibs look desperate and edgy. Thought we soaked up their first 15 minutes and the more the game went on, our ball winners seemed to control the middle of the park. We've got a great attack minded bench.

players on the bench don’t score a lot of goals.

1 minute ago, Arthur Morgan said:

As I said, press him and the lad struggles, but we didn't do it enough. He couldn't handle Uche, he wouldn't have handled big Gnando which is why we should have brought him on imo.

Fair point.   I don't think many defenders handle Uche though :) I think he would be good beside soapy for us based on today.  I still don't understand why he's so rated when Soapy is in all honesty £3, 4 million more than anything the boy will ever be but he's not the rag dolled machine Hanlon has been at Tynie all his career.  

**** speaking about the boy anymore though.   I'm going to concentrate on us possibly having the best midfielder in Scotland. 

part_time_jambo
9 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

If he can stay fit we could be looking at potential player of yr.

Are you new here? He doesn’t play for Rangers or Celtic.

1 hour ago, Sertse said:

I think they've got a more settled side than us at the moment due to less players in/out. Once we've got some of our new signings more bedded in we'll have even more control over them than we did today, saw plenty enough from Woodburn and Mckay going forward to add to last  seasons attacking players to think the goals will come. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Maybe. Will need to see a bit more of Moore before I decide. I’m not against going to a back 4 but the 3 is working pretty well. What puts me off a wee bit about the back 4 is he’s changed to it during games a couple of times and we’ve lost a bit of impetus. 

I think we had already lost the impetus which is why he changed it to a four, without it making the slightest bit of difference. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, One five said:

Probably being overly optimistic but I do reckon Devlin might be that player and possibly McKay when he is fully match fit.