SNP and Greens coalition.

ri Alban

Just now, Auldbenches said:

You saying it's a myth we were told that to stay in the eu we had to vote no?  

It does matter to lots if voters here.  

What if it was this that prevented people voting yes and they wouldn't have voted no if they knew that wasn't true?  

You can't ignore things line that and put a timescale on things.

People voted no because of remaining in the eu and that changed.  Other things could change as well.  

Did someone actually say on here that there will be sectarian war if we go it alone?   A new string on the bow of project fear.   Ffs 

No I was saying it a myth that all Scots voted to remain in the EU . That’s not true . 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

Just now, JamesM48 said:

No I was saying it a myth that all Scots voted to remain in the EU . That’s not true . 

Is it true that some voters were swayed by being told about staying in the eu?  

We can argue about how many, but the result was that close it could've had an impact. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Well over a million iirc and a fair few are SNP voters. 

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

You saying it's a myth we were told that to stay in the eu we had to vote no?  

It does matter to lots if voters here.  

What if it was this that prevented people voting yes and they wouldn't have voted no if they knew that wasn't true?  

You can't ignore things line that and put a timescale on things.

People voted no because of remaining in the eu and that changed.  Other things could change as well.  

Did someone actually say on here that there will be sectarian war if we go it alone?   A new string on the bow of project fear.   Ffs 

I’m on the fence now regarding independence . I was a supporter in 2014 . Even went on marches , kilt et al ! ( Jesus embarrassing when i

think Of it now 😂) I’d need to be very convinced by a sound economic argument to vote Yes now . Emotionally I’m a yes but realistically I’m thinking of family and friends futures in a post Indy Scotland 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

I’m on the fence now regarding independence . I was a supporter in 2014 . Even went on marches , kilt et al ! ( Jesus embarrassing when i

think Of it now 😂) I’d need to be very convinced by a sound economic argument to vote Yes now . Emotionally I’m a yes but realistically I’m thinking of family and friends futures in a post Indy Scotland 

The question about those voters that were swayed by the eu thing is important.

What's your opinion on this? 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

The currency issue especially post Brexit is a real problem. 

Just now, Des Lynam said:

The currency issue especially post Brexit is a real problem. 

And the economic collapse due to covid is still to be felt ! It’s not going to end well really for any Indy campaign 

manaliveits105

we have almost 23% deficit currently which has to be below 3% to join EU and snp have conceded there would be 5-10 years of austerity to reduce the deficit down 

yay where do I sign ? 

59 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I said as bad as the N word. Your quite clearly and ignorant racist who for some reason or another the mods are turning a blind eye to .

I'm sure the mods spotted it as an obvious jab at Michael Gove.

I'm glad you consider Michael Gove to be an ignorant racist, his comments were abhorrent.

1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

No way there should be a 20 year ban on another referendum.  Look at what happened the last time that has lead to this one.   

That would mean Westminster could go in any direction it wanted and we'd have to accept that for two decades? 

Why would any country want to corner themselves like that?  

Extreme example, but what if the rest of the UK went down an extremely right wing route, you happy that we would have to accept that?

People don't realise the lie about the only option for staying in the uk was voting no.  18 months later and that was taken away from us because the of Cameron appeasing the tory party.  Which is the reason we are currently in this Brexit mess.

Another reason to get rid of the current party system. 

Two decades?  **** off. 

Westminster could go on saying no forever more if it was that way inclined. 

Just now, pablo said:

Westminster could go on saying no forever more if it was that way inclined. 

Let them try.  It would only do those who are pro independence a favour  

9 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

How? What are plans when they do?

32 minutes ago, pablo said:

How? What are plans when they do?

You think if the majority here wanted one and Westminster said no they would just accept it?

They force the issue some way.  

It would show they are worried they'd lose 

jack D and coke

I hope WM keep playing this dictator like hardball. Try crush the people’s will. This is the fuel the movement needs to properly ignite it again. Fire it right up🔥😀

1 hour ago, Deke Thornton said:

Have you been taking lessons in faux outrage from Blackford?

Weird that you pick me out for faux outrage and not the upset poster I was quoting.

jack D and coke
23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Weird that you pick me out for faux outrage and not the upset poster I was quoting.

Think Deeko is another declaring his pictishness. 
Gets raging about anything scotch😀

3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Haha ok I getcha now. Have you not heard Michael Goves recordings? Was in relation to that and tongue in cheek. 
That was a reply to Doctor Rees Mogg Jambo’s insinuation that there might be sectarian war if independent. 
I apologise for the clown remarks you got my back up this morning calling me a racist. 

I read your previous posts at the time and they appeared to be taken out of context by AH. It was in reference to Michael Gove and he's one of them( unionists on here)! They want us shackled to these Westminster fools.

portobellojambo1
2 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

In what way. While I accept that in the recent election in May the Scottish Republican Party gained the most seats, the breakdown makes different reading. Those voting for independence, which is the only reason why they vote for a Republican party, had only one party to vote for, although they were being supported by the Greens. Meanwhile those not interested in republicanism had three major parties to vote for, Labour, Conservative and the SDP, and few other smaller parties. The number of votes cast in favour of the SNP was less than the combined total of the number of votes cast for the three main parties mentioned above. People intent on voting for a non republican party were subject to suggestions from various groups to consider changing their vote at the election, i.e. if they were, for example, Labour they should consider voting conservative, with the SDP as their second choice. In terms of politics Labour voters are not inclined to switch to Tory and vice versa, and these people made up the largest group of all, those who didn't vote at all, but who will vote against any attempt to make this country a republic. I think many of them also understand the implications. In terms of Edinburgh alone it could have a massive impact on both the Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland, who have multi,multi billions of pounds invested by companies involved in the Financial Services sector, mainly pensions and investments. As was the case at the very recent, failed attempt to break up the union those companies will move both their businesses and existing investments South of the border, to make sure they can continue to pay the vast majority of ther investors living in the UK their payments in UK sterling. The state pension would also cease, money is paid out of that fund, which is collected from deductions made by citizens of the UK, but once you are no longer living within that state you also negate the right to receive payments based on contributions made to the UK, which would then be a separate state.

Like you I have no idea how many voted for or against Brexit based on the fact entry was as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. However, as Scots were being regularly told that after independence Scotland would have no problem staying in the EU then it does tend to suggest the numbers who voted no, because UK was going to stay in, was possibly nowhere near as many as you may think. I do know that over a million Scots voted to leave, and as the SNP said that a similar number voting for the SNP in the recent parliament election created their highest vote ever, one can only assume they accept that a significant number voted to leave the EU, but again not the vast majority of Scots. 1 million is less than 25% of the total persons able to vote, and whether a vote for the SNP in an election or a vote to leave the EU neither vote represented the majority of Scots of voting age.

Edited by portobellojambo1

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

I hope WM keep playing this dictator like hardball. Try crush the people’s will. This is the fuel the movement needs to properly ignite it again. Fire it right up🔥😀

the snp are trying to crush the will of the Scottish people in 2014 - naw ?

and as they only represent 35% of the current electorate they dont speak for the Scottish people as the fish and fatty constantly lie about - only 35% of them - its not rocket science but beyond the separatists understanding apparently.

13 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Does Humza Yousless have a scooter license?

He's not at all happy about being a social media star now. 😆

The Streisand effect! I’d have never known about it if the anti-free speech hypocrite hadn’t moaned about it. Lots of people pointing out him laughing at Douglas Ross for falling over. 

35 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Does Humza Yousless have a scooter license?

He's not at all happy about being a social media star now. 😆

He needs to lighten up.

20 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

the snp are trying to crush the will of the Scottish people in 2014 - naw ?

and as they only represent 35% of the current electorate they dont speak for the Scottish people as the fish and fatty constantly lie about - only 35% of them - its not rocket science but beyond the separatists understanding apparently.

They'll get the chance to vote no again. Hardly crushing their will.

There are hundreds of thousands aged under 24 who haven't had the opportunity to have their say.

4 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

we have almost 23% deficit currently which has to be below 3% to join EU and snp have conceded there would be 5-10 years of austerity to reduce the deficit down 

yay where do I sign ? 

Ahh the old "deficit" argument again. Utter pish!

Who gave us this "deficit"???

Scotland cant borrow and has to by law balance its books, so where does this "deficit" come from?

I will tell you.

Westminster takes our money and gives us a little back then spends the rest "on our behalf" on nuclear bombs, Corporate tax cuts, Dodgy PPE contracts for cronies/party donors, foreign wars, London Crossrail, HS2, UK debt repayments on money we didn't borrow etc.

Then Westminster says we don't have enough to pay for nuclear bombs, foreign wars, Corporate tax cuts, Dodgy contracts for cronies/part donators, our share of London Crossrail, HS2 and UK debt & interest repayments on money we didn't borrow and then says we have a "deficit".

Because Scotland can't afford Nuclear Bombs, Foreign Wars, Corporate tax cuts, UK Debt, HS2, Dodgy contracts for cronies/party donators, London Crossrail etc. and why would an Independent Scotland spend money on shite like that anyway? It just wouldn't!!!

There ye go. Simple to understand even for you. An imaginary "deficit" to scare the Scottish Unionist simpletons!

& before you even start, mobile phones will still work and you will still be able to watch Eastenders!

Edited by Pans Jambo

1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

In what way. While I accept that in the recent election in May the Scottish Republican Party gained the most seats, the breakdown makes different reading. Those voting for independence, which is the only reason why they vote for a Republican party, had only one party to vote for, although they were being supported by the Greens. Meanwhile those not interested in republicanism had three major parties to vote for, Labour, Conservative and the SDP, and few other smaller parties. The number of votes cast in favour of the SNP was less than the combined total of the number of votes cast for the three main parties mentioned above. People intent on voting for a non republican party were subject to suggestions from various groups to consider changing their vote at the election, i.e. if they were, for example, Labour they should consider voting conservative, with the SDP as their second choice. In terms of politics Labour voters are not inclined to switch to Tory and vice versa, and these people made up the largest group of all, those who didn't vote at all, but who will vote against any attempt to make this country a republic. I think many of them also understand the implications. In terms of Edinburgh alone it could have a massive impact on both the Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland, who have multi,multi billions of pounds invested by companies involved in the Financial Services sector, mainly pensions and investments. As was the case at the very recent, failed attempt to break up the union those companies will move both their businesses and existing investments South of the border, to make sure they can continue to pay the vast majority of ther investors living in the UK their payments in UK sterling. The state pension would also cease, money is paid out of that fund, which is collected from deductions made by citizens of the UK, but once you are no longer living within that state you also negate the right to receive payments based on contributions made to the UK, which would then be a separate state.

Like you I have no idea how many voted for or against Brexit based on the fact entry was as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. However, as Scots were being regularly told that after independence Scotland would have no problem staying in the EU then it does tend to suggest the numbers who voted no, because UK was going to stay in, was possibly nowhere near as many as you may think. I do know that over a million Scots voted to leave, and as the SNP said that a similar number voting for the SNP in the recent parliament election created their highest vote ever, one can only assume they accept that a significant number voted to leave the EU, but again not the vast majority of Scots. 1 million is less than 25% of the total persons able to vote, and whether a vote for the SNP in an election or a vote to leave the EU neither vote represented the majority of Scots of voting age.

Not sure my post deserved the a brilliant reply like that. 

If there is ever a large* majority that wants another referendum, they should have their democratic right to have one.

If we lost the next one, I genuinely can't see there being another one for a couple of generations. 

To stop the next one when Europe was an issue for some isn't right if the majority is there.

You deserve a better reply than this due to your well thought out post.  

1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Westminster confirmed in 2014 that pension payments would be made to those who had paid into the system. 

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Westminster takes our money and gives us a little back then spends the rest 

In 2018/19 before the pandemic, tax revenue in Scotland including North sea oil amounted to around £66 billion.

In 2018/19 Scotland received around £81 billion in public spending according to GERS

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

In 2018/19 before the pandemic, tax revenue in Scotland including North sea oil amounted to around £66 billion.

In 2018/19 Scotland received around £81 billion in public spending according to GERS

Like the NHS though it's never enough. 

3 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

You think if the majority here wanted one and Westminster said no they would just accept it?

They force the issue some way.  

It would show they are worried they'd lose 

Well, if there was a Soviet style election result in favour of Independence, then probably not. But there's not.

As things stand, winning an election for a devolved administration, isn't a mandate for seeking to break up a sovereign state.

And round and round we go.

1 minute ago, pablo said:

Well, if there was a Soviet style election result in favour of Independence, then probably not. But there's not.

As things stand, winning an election for a devolved administration, isn't a mandate for seeking to break up a sovereign state.

And round and round we go.

Your last point sums it up.  Not many on each side is ever going to agree on this. 

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

Your last point sums it up.  Not many on each side is ever going to agree on this. 

Maybe Scotland should be partitioned? :whistling:

portobellojambo1
48 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Westminster confirmed in 2014 that pension payments would be made to those who had paid into the system. 

I think what it said is that any payments would be made by the Scottish Government, in the event of independence, and would be paid at the base rate (something brought up in around 2016/17 I think). But I may be wrong, however I believe Scotland has a large number of people who may be approaching pension age in the not too distant future, so it may be a case that some form of calculations would be needed to determine the lump sum paid into the overall pot by people employed in Scotland, which might then be passed to Holyrood then be split amongst any people then reaching the state pension age. And if it is paid via the Scottish Government it may be either more or less than the calculation basis for the present state pension and SP2 benefit.

There will be no problems in terms of corporate or individual pensions based on employment within Scotland.

1 minute ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I think what it said is that any payments would be made by the Scottish Government, in the event of independence, and would be paid at the base rate (something brought up in around 2016/17 I think). But I may be wrong, however I believe Scotland has a large number of people who may be approaching pension age in the not too distant future, so it may be a case that some form of calculations would be needed to determine the lump sum paid into the overall pot by people employed in Scotland, which might then be passed to Holyrood then be split amongst any people then reaching the state pension age. And if it is paid via the Scottish Government it may be either more or less than the calculation basis for the present state pension and SP2 benefit.

There will be no problems in terms of corporate or individual pensions based on employment within Scotland.

It was sortable, but it didn't stop Labour in particular using it to encourage older voters to vote for the Union. 

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

They'll get the chance to vote no again. Hardly crushing their will.

There are hundreds of thousands aged under 24 who haven't had the opportunity to have their say.

Is that because their brains don't reach adult maturity until they are 25?

51 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Boom!

There it is. State sponsored lies. 

Sir Ian oil arsehole Wood the tory Billionaire donor said that if we stop drilling for oil, the UK will struggle with its balance of payments. 

Seems Westmister needs its cash cow afterall but wait!!! How can that be true if Scotland is costing the UK treasury £15Bn a year? HOW?????

:interehjrling:

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Boom!

There it is. State sponsored lies. 

Sir Ian oil arsehole Wood the tory Billionaire donor said that if we stop drilling for oil, the UK will struggle with its balance of payments. 

Seems Westmister needs its cash cow afterall but wait!!! How can that be true if Scotland is costing the UK treasury £15Bn a year? HOW?????

:interehjrling:

I was only quoting the Scotsman 

Scottish Independence: Exactly how much money does Scotland contribute to England and what is the Barnett Formula? | The Scotsman

14 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

We can post things too.

Likrly a bit closer to the truth or they would be encouraging us to FO. 

£15Bn deficit aye?
Why is there not “Scotland costs the UK taxpayer £288.5 Million per week” on the side of a Boris bus???

Because its all shite thats why!

24 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The Scotsman are taking the figures from GERS

Government Expenditure and Revenue Scotland 2020-21 - gov.scot (www.gov.scot)

Come on Nucky, GERS! Designed by that idiot Lang to show Scotland in a poor light. It's a unionist tick box exercise. Intelligent folk don't believe anything from Westminster regarding Scotland. 

Why do they go to such lengths to keep us if we're skint? Why do unionist Scots accept their insults of them and our country?