Afghanistan

HartleyLegend3

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The other side of that is how the Taliban govern. Can they bring some stability or will it be a civil war. 

It's all very well making agreements to avoid bloodshed in their quick takeover. But they have plenty enemies and many opponents. The boot is on the other foot now. 

There is also the basic problem of providing food and jobs. If all the aid stopped millions will die from hunger. The general approach to sanctions throughout the world doesn't tend to put ordinary people first.

While there are understandable concerns about how say women will be treated there are bigger problems. 

Hence the main reason for the charm offensive. The Taliban are in a very weak position and need foreign funds. 

Well balanced post , especially when set against others who know exactly what the Taliban will do, and the consequences back home !

They were our friends only 35 yrs ago (I know, your enemies enemy & all that) but we weren't weren't concerned about Afghan rights in the 80's so long as they took our arms cash - nor too concerned about the Iraqi Kurds when Saddam was our friend. 

They have a chance to form a coalition government, which may stand a chance. What clearly doesn't work, is pulling all military might at your disposal, and invading a country that's resisited takeover throughout history.  

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Sharpie

AlphonseCapone
16 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It doesn't.  The United Kingdom is one fo the most benevolent countries on Earth.

There isn't a benevolent country on earth imo. 

4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

There isn't a benevolent country on earth imo. 

There is no perfect country certainly but some countries and it's people simply do more for the world than others.

I'm not putting a halo over Wales, NI, Scotland and England but we are certainly up there with regards to generourity, hospitality, kindness and the accommodating of others.

Even when we used to have Telethon, Comic Relief etc the amount raised by the Great British public was just far above the call of duty.

We seem to always go the extra mile and do that 'little bit extra' when called upon.

Edited by i8hibsh

On 17/08/2021 at 03:57, SectionDJambo said:

Another concern must be the possibility that there are some Taliban in there, looking to get into America to get up to no good later.

This all started from, what could have been, a position of relative strength for America when it helped the Afghan rebels repel the Soviet invaders. However, rather than build on that success, they managed to leave the people they used to inflict that defeat on the Soviets by pulling away and not following through to help rebuild Afghanistan then. That is what we are told spawned the Bin Laden situation which came back to bite them later.

The Americans need to realise that not every country, and it's culture, wants to live the American way. They had every reason to go into Afghanistan after 9/11, but helped create the problem themselves. They had no reason to try to inflict their way of life on Iraq. The WMD story was a lie as discovered by the UN inspectors prior to the invasion. Oil was the motive.

The middle east is a mix of different tribes and beliefs which requires dictators to keep the lid on. Injustice will happen under such regimes but the solution isn't to open the Pandora's Box of all those interpretations of holy story books. We've seen what happens as a result. Has there ever been a situation in the middle east where western interference has improved life for the population? I'm struggling to think of one.

i would hazard a guess that a majority of the population would adopt what the West has to offer before opting fir the Taliban. Putting any cultural issues aside, this is a coup executed by a totalitarian regime.

Now putting the plight of the population aside, take a not my problem view, and you're left with the potential of another terrorist base camp in the making. With a grand arsenal abandoned by the Americans all waiting to be distributed.

Then beyond that which is potentially an even greater issue is the strategic geographic location. Historically that's always been it's major importance. It borders Iran, Pakistan, and China. All of whom could be considered hostile to the West and all of whom will now all be wielding great influence there.

That's not good.

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

There is no perfect country certainly but some countries and it's people simply do more for the world than others.

I'm not putting a halo over Wales, NI, Scotland and England but we are certainly up there with regards to generourity, hospitality, kindness and the accommodating of others.

Even when we used to have Telethon, Comic Relief etc the amount raised by the Great British public was just far above the call of duty.

We seem to always go the extra mile and do that 'little bit extra' when called upon.

I don't doubt the kindness of many people. I don't know enough about other countries in similar economic comfort to us to know if we tend to be more giving or not, perhaps it's a cultural thing. But we are the 5th (maybe 6th) largest economy in the world and are in a comfortable place to be generous compared to the vast majority of the world. If we're being honest, historically we've built our comfortable existence on the back of others. I don't think that's political to say, more historical fact. And we're certainly not unique amongst our peers with that. 

If the UK found itself with the 50th best economy then our benevolence would most likely reflect that reality. If we found ourselves as poor and destabilised as countries like Afghanistan we'd likely be ripping each other apart to survive if need be. 

Humans are humans, fundamentally biological agents that'll survive at all costs but advanced enough to care and look after others when it has no negative impact on our own situation. The concept of nation states just makes it easier to divide us up but ultimately we're no different to an Afghan.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

All this romantacised garbage about peace, tranquility, melting pots, cultural enrichment is to convince the impresisonable.

The reality is that this does serious damage to race relations and community cohesion.  Resentment is rife watching people come in and just be handed stuff for **** all at the front of the queue.

This is a disaster waiitng to happen.

'Join us after the break on GB News where Neil Oliver will be telling us how Covid is a grand conspiracy'  

35 minutes ago, Boab said:

The Chinese are foreign nationals.

There has been a huge shift in the power play involving Afghanistan.

The Taliban’s meetings with them and the Russians point to a change in how this will unravel. Meetings, no doubt, which precipitated where we are now.

The yanks are in a sticky position as their influence, especially next door in Pakistan will suffer IMO.

The flash point you speak of could possibly be being discussed at Langley as we speak ! They will use every trick in the book to undermine the present government. A rise in jihadi operatives will be the reason used.

It will get messy and, as usual, the big powers will use their proxy fighters to battle it out. 

I was referring more to Western foreign nationals, it's well known the Chinese and the Russians are the new power brokers in the region, and are just sitting waiting to excert their influence on Afghanistan, and as far as I know neither Chinese nor Russian nationals are leaving the country, which tells you everything you need to know.

The flash point I was thinking about was more likely to come at Kabul airport, where you have British (and probably American) troops a matter of 2 or 3 metres away from Taliban fighters, seperated by a barricade of a couple of pick-up trucks & some razor wire.  In the highly charged stressful situation at the airport, it wouldn't take much to trigger a disaster, and whilst everything is calm right now between the Taliban & the US/UK troops, that could all change in a matter of a minute.  That's the real worry and potential flash point right now, not some CIA plot weeks, months or even years down the line.

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

'Join us after the break on GB News where Neil Oliver will be telling us how Covid is a grand conspiracy'  

Diversity of opinion

:fonzie:

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I was referring more to Western foreign nationals, it's well known the Chinese and the Russians are the new power brokers in the region, and are just sitting waiting to excert their influence on Afghanistan, and as far as I know neither Chinese nor Russian nationals are leaving the country, which tells you everything you need to know.

The flash point I was thinking about was more likely to come at Kabul airport, where you have British (and probably American) troops a matter of 2 or 3 metres away from Taliban fighters, seperated by a barricade of a couple of pick-up trucks & some razor wire.  In the highly charged stressful situation at the airport, it wouldn't take much to trigger a disaster, and whilst everything is calm right now between the Taliban & the US/UK troops, that could all change in a matter of a minute.  That's the real worry and potential flash point right now, not some CIA plot weeks, months or even years down the line.

Probably why the Taliban are trying to keep a lid on things. Last thing they want is a firefight at the airport. As we both know though, it would be easy to arrange, if that helped either side.

I don’t think anyone will play their hand just yet. The yanks and others will try and get as many out as possible and it will stabilise…for a bit !

5 minutes ago, Boab said:

Probably why the Taliban are trying to keep a lid on things. Last thing they want is a firefight at the airport. As we both know though, it would be easy to arrange, if that helped either side.

I don’t think anyone will play their hand just yet. The yanks and others will try and get as many out as possible and it will stabilise…for a bit !

It is in nobody's interest to hamper the evacuation of Western or any other foreigners who want to leave, that's why everyone is on their best behaviour and hopefully that lasts until everybody is out.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It is in nobody's interest to hamper the evacuation of Western or any other foreigners who want to leave, that's why everyone is on their best behaviour and hopefully that lasts until everybody is out.

Indeed.

A long game seems to be on the cards. 

48 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Having disposable income and giving a little bit away is only one form of generosity and given it is literally almost no sacrifice for those doing it I'd question how generous it really is to begin with.

We're lucky we're in a position to do that. It's no coincidence that countries who give the most, also have the most to give away in the first place.

Ironically, from people who have been to Afghanistan I've heard they are some of the most hospitable and kind people going and will welcome people into their homes and feed them and treat them as part of their own family. Now, that is partly driven by their religious beliefs so not entirely altruistic either I guess. It however somewhat ironic when you're saying the UK is one of the most generous populations on earth yet on this very thread we've got someone saying they wouldn't want Afghans living next door, never mind putting them up in his/her house.

2 minutes ago, Boab said:

Indeed.

A long game seems to be on the cards. 

Without a doubt, the US will more than likely fund, arm & train the Northern Alliance, if that hasn't already been taking place.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Having disposable income and giving a little bit away is only one form of generosity and given it is literally almost no sacrifice for those doing it I'd question how generous it really is to begin with.

We're lucky we're in a position to do that. It's no coincidence that countries who give the most, also have the most to give away in the first place.

Ironically, from people who have been to Afghanistan I've heard they are some of the most hospitable and kind people going and will welcome people into their homes and feed them and treat them as part of their own family. Now, that is partly driven by their religious beliefs so not entirely altruistic either I guess. It however somewhat ironic when you're saying the UK is one of the most generous populations on earth yet on this very thread we've got someone saying they wouldn't want Afghans living next door, never mind putting them up in his/her house.

I fully get the 'we are in a better position to do so' argument.  This is clearly a huge factor but I think it needs pointed out that we are accountable for our position as is every country.

We are well run (regardless of my many issues with government), well taxed (very low comparatively), we have a great welfare system (despite my issues with it), we have religious freedom, fair justice system, laws that protect, cultural diversity and we are very tolerant.  We have great minds, we are industrious and productive.

I am so sick of this poor story clap trap.  So many countries in the shit are in the shit almost entirely from their own doing.

The fact that we had a great empire historically is because , although many countries were competing at the time - we did it better.

We are no better or worse historically than most countries, we have paved our modern path on merit.

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Doesn't need to end there though does it? 

Best reply to that statement you can get.  

7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Without a doubt, the US will more than likely fund, arm & train the Northern Alliance, if that hasn't already been taking place.

And the west have also moved quickly to block national funds and aid which make up nearly half of their GDP. 
Looks like the fight will be multi-faceted.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

I fully get the 'we are in a better position to do so' argument.  This is clearly a huge factor but I think it needs pointed out that we are accountable for our position as is every country.

We are well run (regardless of my many issues with government), well taxed (very low comparatively), we have a great welfare system (despite my issues with it), we have religious freedom, fair justice system, laws that protect, cultural diversity and we are very tolerant.  We have great minds, we are industrious and productive.

I am so sick of this poor story clap trap.  So many countries in the shit are in the shit almost entirely from their own doing.

The fact that we had a great empire historically is because , although many countries were competing at the time - we did it better.

We are no better or worse historically than most countries, we have paved our modern path on merit.

It's not the people in these countries that create all this, it's governments.  You can blame the residents of these countries for being in such a poor state.  Ok if they have the same democratic rights as us but they have no say in anything.  

We are just constantly having to come in and foot the bill for countries that can't govern themselves well.

SectionDJambo
9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The Taliban will know that any action taken against western civilians or armed forces will result in a strong military response, which could end very badly for them. It wouldn't surprise me if the Russians and Chinese have told them to keep their hordes in order, so as not to give the US and UK an excuse to just go back in and push the Taliban right back to where they were a few weeks ago. 

The biggest concern for me now would be how many Taliban are mingling with, and being flown out with, legitimate evacuees. Western governments have been shown to be less than intelligent when assessing the situation that has developed. The domestic security risk has been greatly increased for the sake of containing this fanaticism in a country thousands of miles away. I fear that the real cost of this madness by Trump and Biden, along with the clueless Johnson and other western "leaders" won't be felt for a while but will be severe when it emerges.

6 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

It's not the people in these countries that create all this, it's governments.  You can blame the residents of these countries for being in such a poor state.  Ok if they have the same democratic rights as us but they have no say in anything.  

Of course it is governments.  What do expect though AB, take in 5 billion people who live under awful governments?

Edited by i8hibsh

Throwing money at these countries every second and taking in a selected few is not doing anything.  

Worldwide sanctions, trade embargos, anything to hit them where it hurts - in the pocket.

This is where the UK government really could do more.  Stop trading with these countries.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Of course it is governments.  What do expect though AB, take in 5 billion people who live under awful governments?

What's the alternative when it gets to extreme situations like this?  We can't just turn our backs in people suffering like that.  

The sad things is that just before 9/11, Bush made a speech were he said he was going to cut back on America's foreign policy.   If 9/11 hadn't happened, all this shit would've been avoided.  

I thought ideology was dead. Sadly idiots are still getting sucked into it. 

12 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

All countries have the bit in bold. What they don't have is the bits before it which enable them to be industrious, productive and put their great minds to use.

I'm not sure many people feel sorry for Afghanistan the country or its leaders...it's their civilian populace they feel for and want to offer solace too and they're largely not remotely responsible for the shit show they find themselves residing in. You make it sound as though if you took a populace of industrious, productive Brits with great minds and plonked them in a sand filled geography with none of the great things you mentioned in your first paragraph that they'd somehow build it. They wouldn't. They'd probably do a lot worse than the Afghan people.

If the west starts ostracizing these countries it will kickstart change.

We are just constantly helping, patching, interfering, supporting etc etc.

Let them get on with it until they can no more.

Throwing money at these countries every second and taking in a selected few is not doing anything.  

Worldwide sanctions, trade embargos, anything to hit them where it hurts - in the pocket.

This is where the UK government really could do more.  Stop trading with these countries.

I agree on the sanctions.  Though its about time we were consistent when it comes to this.  We'll deal with the Saudis but will use sanctions against weaker, poorer nations.  

There isn't an answer but we can't give up on people in these conditions.  

Gangsters with guns are now a government.   What a thought.  

4 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

What's the alternative when it gets to extreme situations like this?  We can't just turn our backs in people suffering like that.  

The sad things is that just before 9/11, Bush made a speech were he said he was going to cut back on America's foreign policy.   If 9/11 hadn't happened, all this shit would've been avoided.  

I thought ideology was dead. Sadly idiots are still getting sucked into it. 

This shit has been around way before 9/11.  The world has always been ****ed outside the developed world.

Religion seen to that.

Edited by i8hibsh

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

I agree on the sanctions.  Though its about time we were consistent when it comes to this.  We'll deal with the Saudis but will use sanctions against weaker, poorer nations.  

There isn't an answer but we can't give up on people in these conditions.  

Gangsters with guns are now a government.   What a thought.  

Yup Saudi Arabia can get to ****.  An absolute diabolical and vile country.

If the west starts ostracizing these countries it will kickstart change.

We are just constantly helping, patching, interfering, supporting etc etc.

Let them get on with it until they can no more.

That would eventually bring some change, but it's what happens to innocents until then.  I suppose we need new strategies to help in these situations.  You're right in that we can't have a patchwork approach just to look like we are doing the right thing.  It has to be all or nothing, with what help we can gine to those stuck in these places.  

The nicer we continually are the more we will be taken advantage off and less likely change will ever happen.

It is human nature.

I believe in tough love.

Afghanistan is the 8th poorest country in the world with a GDP of $530/head.

"Hit them where it hurts - in the pocket".

Is this internet persona an elaborate piece of performance art?

Has to be, nobody's this stupid or so desperate for attention that they'd need to post this constant stream of BS.

This shit has been around way before 9/11.  The world has always been ****ed outside the developed world.

Religion seen to that.

Couldn't agree more on your last point.  Though I think most of the ti.e it is the power hungry using religion to get what they want.  

Just now, Auldbenches said:

That would eventually bring some change, but it's what happens to innocents until then.  I suppose we need new strategies to help in these situations.  You're right in that we can't have a patchwork approach just to look like we are doing the right thing.  It has to be all or nothing, with what help we can gine to those stuck in these places.  

I get that. I am human, I feel empathy etc.

Answer me this though : why just those struggling in Afghanistan? What makes them so special? Hardship is all over the world - we can't do it all.

If we can spend c.£8 a pop on little plastic sticks to shove up our noses unsupervised to tell us we may or may not have a virus that likely won't harm us or 99% of our populace then we sure as hell can afford to house a good whack of refugees.

1 minute ago, Beni said:

Afghanistan is the 8th poorest country in the world with a GDP of $530/head.

"Hit them where it hurts - in the pocket".

Is this internet persona an elaborate piece of performance art?

Has to be, nobody's this stupid or so desperate for attention that they'd need to post this constant stream of BS.

There is lots of money in Afghanistan - shit loads.  It just sits with a very selected few.  This is what I mean.

Just now, Taffin said:

If we can spend c.£8 a pop on little plastic sticks to shove up our noses unsupervised to tell us we may or may not have a virus that likely won't harm us or 99% of our populace then we sure as hell can afford to house a good whack of refugees.

Agree about the covid nonsense but we already house shit loads of refugees Taffin.

Answer me this though : why just those struggling in Afghanistan? What makes them so special? Hardship is all over the world - we can't do it all.

Agreed, but the answer to that isn't to do nothing is it?

Just now, i8hibsh said:

That's why I included extreme circumstances in previous posts.  

Good point from the gut Beni about sanctions to a country as poor as that.  It's the ones who need the help suffer.  The gangsters in government won't go without, and we can't rely on them to feel sorry for their fellow citizens.  What's happening shows they don't a **** about them.  

What we need is the united nations to grow a pair and step up.  What tbe **** do they do?  NATO is a red rag to a bull with these places.  

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Agreed, but the answer to that isn't to do nothing is it?

Ideally no.  But in a few months there will be 'another Afghanistan' ad infinitum.

I love cats (probably more than humans).  If I go into a cat rescue centre, I want to rescue them all but with a heavy heart I can't.

The moral of the story is we as humans and countries as entities are simply not capable of doing it all.  We are limited.

Where is our limit?  2.3 trillion pounds worth of debt?

It doesn't mean we care less, it means we have limits.

Edited by i8hibsh

It is not going to be easy to watch but the time has come for countries to start fighting to survive and stop being fully dependant.

The Mighty Thor
45 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

We are just constantly having to come in and foot the bill for countries that can't govern themselves well.

See when you've spent centuries going into these countries, subjugating their people and asset stripping the living shit out of them, then at some stage there's a reckoning. 

Global Britain. Great Nation. 

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

See when you've spent centuries going into these countries, subjugating their people and asset stripping the living shit out of them, then at some stage there's a reckoning. 

Global Britain. Great Nation. 

You mean like most countries on the planet?

9 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Great Nation. 

If you are to talk about our skeletons (of which we have many) would you be man enough to mention all the positive we have done with regards to scientific advancement, transportation, technology, music, medicine, communication, literature, vaccinations, sanitation etc etc - the list is endless.

Can you name other countries who have given the world so much?

I get people in the country want to leave the united kingdom, I get it.  But this 'Great Britain' is the devil chat is a embarrassing.  Especially as the person types it or says it will be surrounded and will constantly use and benefit from the production of Great Britain past and present.  Exhibit A - this ****ing internet forum!

Get a life ffs.

Spending all day telling the world how despicable Great Britain is, the worst place on Earth, claiming it is systemically racist, xenophobic, homophobic, sexist, etc etc but then turning round and inviting tens of thousands of people to come live here.

:facepalm:

Do you think that maybe, just maybe it is not all that bad?

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

It doesn't.  The United Kingdom is one fo the most benevolent countries on Earth.

Yes it is.  Third-most generous country, if using foreign aid as a standard.

All the European countries are generous plus the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan.

Massive countries with massive economies like Russia, China, India, and Brazil don't seem to make the top 30.

https://www.wristband.com/content/which-countries-provide-receive-most-foreign-aid/ 

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yes it is.  Third-most generous country, if using foreign aid as a standard.

All the European countries are generous plus the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan.

Massive countries with massive economies like Russia, China, India, and Brazil don't seem to make the top 30.

https://www.wristband.com/content/which-countries-provide-receive-most-foreign-aid/ 

This is the thing, the USA, UK etc are the countries that seem to be the punching bag for the far left.  

We are simply not too bad.  Where else would you honestly want to live than Canada, USA, UK, Australia, NZ, Scandinavia etc?

The problem with sanctions is that the people you are trying to target are the last ones to go hungry.

All it does is strengthen public support for those at the head of government.

They have never worked.