Afghanistan

HartleyLegend3

manaliveits105
45 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

James Heappey the Armed Forces Minister talking to Stephen Dixon on Sky News, just after 7 this morning.

'Asked about reports that 100 embassy guards were told they are not eligible for relocation, he confirmed they have arrived at the airport this morning and will be moved out of Kabul later today.'

https://news.sky.com/story/afghanistan-live-updates-scramble-to-evacuate-diplomats-and-embassy-workers-from-kabul-continues-12385686

Scroll down to 07:06 timeline.

bad news for our anti UK gov residents 

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Sharpie

Malinga the Swinga
10 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Don't worry, they'll soon find something else to criticise UK for.

54 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Not at all. Thought the boy, Heappey spoke really well this morning. 
In fact, get him in as Foreign Secretary and get that clown, Raab, back to doing something he is comfortable with, like cleaning toilets or suchlike.

15 minutes ago, Boab said:

Not at all. Thought the boy, Heappey spoke really well this morning. 
In fact, get him in as Foreign Secretary and get that clown, Raab, back to doing something he is comfortable with, like cleaning toilets or suchlike.

Agreed, he seemed to be clear in his answers, not the normal long winded spaffing which is the usual from them.

Unfortunately it isn't Ambassadors and ex-Army Officers in UK and US governments that are making decisions, instead it is clueless moronic politicians like Boris Johnson and Joe Biden. 

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Agreed, he seemed to be clear in his answers, not the normal long winded spaffing which is the usual from them.

Helps that he actually has experience over there. A prerequisite for a job as Foreign Secretary in my book. 
Raab is a windbag !

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Unfortunately it isn't Ambassadors and ex-Army Officers in UK and US governments that are making decisions, instead it is clueless moronic politicians like Boris Johnson and Joe Biden. 

Indeed.

I believe we may be entering the most dangerous global environment since the years that led up to WW2. And it's a similar scenario in some respects. A group of totalitarian regimes, including China and Russia, slowly merging into a bloc opposing the Western democracies. What does that remind you of?

SectionDJambo
3 minutes ago, Boab said:

Helps that he actually has experience over there. A prerequisite for a job as Foreign Secretary in my book. 
Raab is a windbag !

Starmer pointed out, during his speech in the Commons, that Johnson's last visit to Afghanistan was when he was Foreign Secretary in May's government, and he only went to avoid the debate and vote on the proposed new terminal at Heathrow. He had previously said he would lie down in front of the diggers if it was given permission to go ahead. Rather like his going to die in a ditch if Brexit was delayed, which it then was.

We have a PM with, seemingly, little first hand knowledge of, or real interest in, an operation which has gone very badly wrong. We also have a Foreign Secretary who, like Johnson, likes his exalted position in life so long as it doesn't interfere with his private life. 

1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

Starmer pointed out, during his speech in the Commons, that Johnson's last visit to Afghanistan was when he was Foreign Secretary in May's government, and he only went to avoid the debate and vote on the proposed new terminal at Heathrow. He had previously said he would lie down in front of the diggers if it was given permission to go ahead. Rather like his going to die in a ditch if Brexit was delayed, which it then was.

We have a PM with, seemingly, little first hand knowledge of, or real interest in, an operation which has gone very badly wrong. We also have a Foreign Secretary who, like Johnson, likes his exalted position in life so long as it doesn't interfere with his private life. 

Johnson’s a con man !

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I believe we may be entering the most dangerous global environment since the years that led up to WW2. And it's a similar scenario in some respects. A group of totalitarian regimes, including China and Russia, slowly merging into a bloc opposing the Western democracies. What does that remind you of?

You could certainly add North Korea to that list, probably add in Iran as well and does anybody fully trust Pakistan.

China & Russia growing close has to be a worry, they even held joint military exercises the other week there.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You could certainly add North Korea to that list, probably add in Iran as well and does anybody fully trust Pakistan.

China & Russia growing close has to be a worry, they even held joint military exercises the other week there.

A major worry has to be the perpetual cyber-attacks. The likes of Russia will have perhaps already have the capability to cripple Britain or the US, in fact anybody.

There are frequent attacks on US power grids which had the potential to cut off millions from the grid, what you might call probing attacks. Typically comes in the form of malware which lock up systems then there's a ransom demand to unlock the systems. Which these companies have been paying and you're talking major million amounts.

Just a few months ago an oil pipeline was hit.

The pipeline carries 2.5 million barrels a day - 45% of the East Coast's supply of diesel, petrol and jet fuel.

Now if you can do that to one power supplier, and the oil supply too, you can do it to a lot more in one fell swoop. Completely cripple a nation overnight very quickly creating a situation in which society could rapidly fall apart.

No electricity, no lights or heat for many. No communications as the networks go down. Mobile phones would quickly die anyway as batteries ran down and there's no power to recharge them. No petrol for the car. Even if it were delivered the pumps wont work.

No traffic lights, road chaos till the petrol runs out. No deliveries to the stores, everything is scheduled by the computers, no food.

Shit like this is happening on a less damaging scale all the time, and could have been a lot more damaging if the attackers had wanted it to be. And there has to be you would think some sort of line in the sand for say the US regarding this shit.

When that idiot Trump was in the office he decided Russia didn't launch cyber attacks. He knew this because Putin told him so, and why would an ex KGB current global mafia don lie? But everybody else outside the orange bubblehead knows the reality.

What will the line in the sand be for the likes of Biden? Cyber attacks are going to increase in intensity, sophistication, and potential to cause catastrophic damage. And sooner or later someone will at a minimum approach the line and maybe even cross it.

At that point the potential to step out of the cyber and into the physical is present. The first things to go in a conflict with a Russo/China based bloc would be everything mentioned above and more.

Taliban now going house hunting to find anyone who has helped NATO  ever.

Also told the US, anyone with correct papers will be free to leave.  Problem is they are intercepting before check points and papers being ripped in front of folks eyes.

Who in their right mind believed the Taliban?

Anyway, Pie (imo) smashes it again.

The information in your thread must be wrong. Watched Donald Trump on Hannity two nights ago and when he signed the Treaty with the Taliban he talked strongly to them. He even advised them what he had done to the Caliph, and he would do that to them if they broke the Treaty, that's why I doubt the information as given. Who or what group or Country would fail to hold up a Treaty with such a warrior, especially when he states he spoke strongly to them, I realize Biden is now the President but Trump is still around and Taliban must realize Trump being the man he is would offer all support to the man who followed him into the Presidency after a fair and legal election.

alwaysthereinspirit
21 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

And now the taliban will destroy them, if in any way they infer an existence before Islam

This. The “history” destroyed over the past few years by these types has been disgusting. Watching them smash the religious artifacts was sickening. What is going on in their heads?

The hypocrisy in using modern weapons and vehicles while killing other Muslims just for being even slightly “western” shows them up for the murdering animals they are.

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

A major worry has to be the perpetual cyber-attacks. The likes of Russia will have perhaps already have the capability to cripple Britain or the US, in fact anybody.

There are frequent attacks on US power grids which had the potential to cut off millions from the grid, what you might call probing attacks. Typically comes in the form of malware which lock up systems then there's a ransom demand to unlock the systems. Which these companies have been paying and you're talking major million amounts.

Just a few months ago an oil pipeline was hit.

Now if you can do that to one power supplier, and the oil supply too, you can do it to a lot more in one fell swoop. Completely cripple a nation overnight very quickly creating a situation in which society could rapidly fall apart.

No electricity, no lights or heat for many. No communications as the networks go down. Mobile phones would quickly die anyway as batteries ran down and there's no power to recharge them. No petrol for the car. Even if it were delivered the pumps wont work.

No traffic lights, road chaos till the petrol runs out. No deliveries to the stores, everything is scheduled by the computers, no food.

Shit like this is happening on a less damaging scale all the time, and could have been a lot more damaging if the attackers had wanted it to be. And there has to be you would think some sort of line in the sand for say the US regarding this shit.

When that idiot Trump was in the office he decided Russia didn't launch cyber attacks. He knew this because Putin told him so, and why would an ex KGB current global mafia don lie? But everybody else outside the orange bubblehead knows the reality.

What will the line in the sand be for the likes of Biden? Cyber attacks are going to increase in intensity, sophistication, and potential to cause catastrophic damage. And sooner or later someone will at a minimum approach the line and maybe even cross it.

At that point the potential to step out of the cyber and into the physical is present. The first things to go in a conflict with a Russo/China based bloc would be everything mentioned above and more.

Part of the problem of the modern world, in that we have all become way to dependant on technology, on the flick of a switch or button.

Putin being ex KGB, no such thing, you never leave the agency, he's the head honcho, nothing happens without his say so or his knowledge.

Of course the orange buffon would have put Putin in his place, just like he did with the Taliban, proper scared shit they were, so I heard.............scared shit in case they peed themselves with all the laughing they did at the 'smartest guy in the room'.

A bit different from the America of 1945, when the Japanese failed to heed calls for an end to the war an atom bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. That was the Japanese who  those of us who lived through it despised. Over the years however we have found that basically the Japanese nice people are just like at least some of us. I served in  the British military, and after my strenuous training I would obey any orders given without question. Until I found myself in an actual situation where my orders seemed extreme, and as it turned out my disobedience was justified.

I can understand Taliban members with the same obedience, but until they are treated as the Japanese were, with a maximum military response bringing total defeat they will behave as is now. They are cruel, ruthless, and have no respect for anyone not a party to their cult.   Discussion, debate, concession are all part of genuine negotiation unfortunately none of it is part of the Taliban beliefs. Someone of power is going to have to say, its over we are coming in and we are staying and if need be increasing strength, and having  a distasteful policy and goal of annihilation  is the only obvious answer at this time. I am not sure there is anyone in the Western world at present who has the cahoonas.

Greedy Jambo
17 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Why would that be?

A few reasons , my taxes paying for their free accommodation is one of them. 

We've got Scots living on the streets ffs. 

Savage Vince
8 hours ago, Boab said:

Johnson’s a con man !

Britain would be a better place, and be in a better place right now, had he lost his life to Covid back in April 2020. He is sheer vermin. 

Jeffros Furios
12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

These press conferences with Biden are painful

He's not on top of this at all

Biden is ****in clueless,  50 yrs in politics and he knows **** all .

I'm disgusted with him and the cretins in Westminster .

A ****in disgrace .

46 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

ABC News is being accused of deceptively editing their disastrous interview with Joe Biden to hide his cognitive decline!

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, Savage Vince said:

Britain would be a better place, and be in a better place right now, had he lost his life to Covid back in April 2020. He is sheer vermin. 

Wow!! Just wow.

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You’d think all the hours, days, weeks and months practicing in his basement for just this precise moment would have been for more than nought.

Chief moron is not a title most would want.

alwaysthereinspirit
7 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

“Does anybody fully trust Pakistan”

Is that a serious question?

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

You’d think all the hours, days, weeks and months practicing in his basement for just this precise moment would have been for more than nought.

Chief moron is not a title most would want.

He's still a long way to go to be as bad as Trump.

17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Biden is trying to overcome a stammer and old age and while I'm far from convinced this is the correct action by US-NATO, at least it's not just simply playing to the goons.

Edited by DETTY29

AlphonseCapone
10 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think I disagree, but not because I think things are dandy. People tend to say similar things every time a situation like this happens. Folk were saying it when the head of Iranian Guards or Intelligence was killed, when the Iranians bombed the American base in Iraq, when North Korea fires a new missile across Japan etc. In a month or two, most folk in the west will have moved on and forgotten events in Afghanistan imo. 

I'm not saying things aren't dangerous but if you go through all the events since WW2 I'm sure people have continually drawn parallels to its build up. There has been waxing and waning of that danger but I think there have more dangerous times than now, the Cuban missile crisis for example. 

China and Russia share an agenda, Iran too, when it comes to the West and its global role but even when both communist nations they had a complicated relationship. They'll work together where necessary but they'll never be proper allies. 

Another wee thing, I think it's easy here to see the rising power of China as a threat (it is worrisome) and we are constantly told about Russian cyber attacks, Iran's plans for nuclear weapons etc. But I don't think we appreciate our (UK, USA, other allies) strengths enough. Cyber attacks will be two way, but our attacks won't be reported here. There is still not a nation on earth close to the military strength of the US. US, UK and France all have nukes. Add in Israel. If we step back and look at it from the other side, they'd be off their heads to try anything serious, and I know they might be off their heads but your talking suicidal off their heads, which they are not. 

What I think we are seeing is more a balancing of global power posturing, nothing more. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Biden is trying to overcome a stammer and old age and while I'm far from convinced thus is the correct action by US-NATO, at least it's not just simply playing to the goons.

Fair comment.

If it wasn't so tragic, it would be hilarious.

Could of course be a master stroke to draw the terrorists out into the open.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Biden is ****in clueless,  50 yrs in politics and he knows **** all .

I'm disgusted with him and the cretins in Westminster .

A ****in disgrace .

Apparently Bin Laden wanted to assassinate Obama because even he knew how much of a useless ***** Biden was and would have become president in that event. 

As Obama said, "Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up." - seems he was right, the guys a disaster. 

2 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I think I disagree, but not because I think things are dandy. People tend to say similar things every time a situation like this happens. Folk were saying it when the head of Iranian Guards or Intelligence was killed, when the Iranians bombed the American base in Iraq, when North Korea fires a new missile across Japan etc. In a month or two, most folk in the west will have moved on and forgotten events in Afghanistan imo. 

I'm not saying things aren't dangerous but if you go through all the events since WW2 I'm sure people have continually drawn parallels to its build up. There has been waxing and waning of that danger but I think there have more dangerous times than now, the Cuban missile crisis for example. 

China and Russia share an agenda, Iran too, when it comes to the West and its global role but even when both communist nations they had a complicated relationship. They'll work together where necessary but they'll never be proper allies. 

Another wee thing, I think it's easy here to see the rising power of China as a threat (it is worrisome) and we are constantly told about Russian cyber attacks, Iran's plans for nuclear weapons etc. But I don't think we appreciate our (UK, USA, other allies) strengths enough. Cyber attacks will be two way, but our attacks won't be reported here. There is still not a nation on earth close to the military strength of the US. US, UK and France all have nukes. Add in Israel. If we step back and look at it from the other side, they'd be off their heads to try anything serious, and I know they might be off their heads but your talking suicidal off their heads, which they are not. 

What I think we are seeing is more a balancing of global power posturing, nothing more. 

I think the largest difference I have seen since the past is the composition of the threats. We have gone through the large armies, the atom and nuclear races, we have reached the stage where the use of the current weapons, nuclear has become potentially as big a risk due to fallout as it is to the attacked.

I see the most powerful weapon in todays hunt for power is the opportunity provided by this very Afghanistan type  situation. The ability to freely ship thousands of refugees to various receptive countries is a wonderful opportunity to immerse within the genuine refugees this with bad intent by way of terrorist acts. 

Incidents such as 9/11 could become normal as these bodies are able to recruit right inside targeted countries. Polluting water supplies, disabling power sources cutting oil and food supplies, could totally disable a victim country, with minimal blood loss but none the less terrifying deaths leading to total submission.

I personally expect the days of rifle and bayonet are into the archives like horse and lances, nuclear weapons are too unknown as to how deeply they can impact the user, we are in a waning 2021, the next serious conflict will be something like old farts like I read in comics like Hotspur, and other such trash magazines for kids and teens, we are into the space generation full of awesome space travel, and horrible weapons that can be deployed by man against man.

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

A few reasons , my taxes paying for their free accommodation is one of them. 

We've got Scots living on the streets ffs. 

I think I've got it.  I was confused when you said that you didn't want "any Afghans moving in next door" to you.  I think you'll agree that sounds xenophobic.

With your clarification, it turns out that you don't mean any Afghans, you're talking specifically about Afghan refugees. And you didn't literally mean 'next door', you object to them getting free accommodations anywhere. Is that a fair interpretation of your comment?

BTW, I've had Afghans as neighbours and they were fine.

alwaysthereinspirit
32 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Biden will be seen as one of the worst Presidents in US history.

Trump won’t.

One of the things about actually being an immigrant you feel lucky that you are from a place that members of the population are generally accepted, but I have had occasions when I was verbally insulted and the misused Scotch was the preface to a second word about the illegitimacy of my birth. I have heard similar racial words for persons from Pakistan, China, and other ethnics.

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I think I've got it.  I was confused when you said that you didn't want "any Afghans moving in next door" to you.  I think you'll agree that sounds xenophobic.

With your clarification, it turns out that you don't mean any Afghans, you're talking specifically about Afghan refugees. And you didn't literally mean 'next door', you object to them getting free accommodations anywhere. Is that a fair interpretation of your comment?

BTW, I've had Afghans as neighbours and they were fine.

Yeah, i didn't put as much thought into it as you. I'm just going from experience, I've already got a refugee staying a few doors up from me. She stays in a bigger house than me... which says it all. 

12 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Trump won’t.

I think handing over Afghanistan to the Taliban has just wasted 20 years of gains made in the battle against Islamic Extremists throughout the world. It's quite shameful really. 

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Trump won’t.

Trump has proved so far that he’s been the worst.

alwaysthereinspirit
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

I think handing over Afghanistan to the Taliban has just wasted 20 years of gains made in the battle against Islamic Extremists throughout the world. It's quite shameful really. 

Trump started the process so he’s not totally off the hook with this. But the way this has been handled has been a military nightmare. The Taliban have been taking over cities and regions since March/April

Pretty much moving in as soon as US/NATO military moved out. Foreign citizens, Afghan interpreters and other Afghans allowed to go should have been evacuated or at least given the option 2/3 months ago.

I fear there will be thousands murdered and we may never know the numbers.

I feel sick for Afghans 22 years old or younger who really have no idea what’s coming. It’s so frigging sad.

As you wrote, Islam Extremists will now converge there again to plan there “holy war”  We’ll have the same thing we had with Al Quida with extremists coming from all over the world to join. 
It’s horrible what’s coming.

alwaysthereinspirit
10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Trump has proved so far that he’s been the worst.

Not even close.

11 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Trump started the process so he’s not totally off the hook with this. But the way this has been handled has been a military nightmare. The Taliban have been taking over cities and regions since March/April

Pretty much moving in as soon as US/NATO military moved out. Foreign citizens, Afghan interpreters and other Afghans allowed to go should have been evacuated or at least given the option 2/3 months ago.

I fear there will be thousands murdered and we may never know the numbers.

I feel sick for Afghans 22 years old or younger who really have no idea what’s coming. It’s so frigging sad.

As you wrote, Islam Extremists will now converge there again to plan there “holy war”  We’ll have the same thing we had with Al Quida with extremists coming from all over the world to join. 
It’s horrible what’s coming.

Trump was an idiot but no one owes the Taliban anything, Biden could have ripped up that agreement considering the Taliban have already broken that agreement themselves and had no intention of fulfilling it in the first place. He is every bit as insular as Trump. 

35 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Trump was an idiot but no one owes the Taliban anything, Biden could have ripped up that agreement considering the Taliban have already broken that agreement themselves and had no intention of fulfilling it in the first place. He is every bit as insular as Trump. 

The key difference between Biden and Trump is that Biden is actually on the side of the United States of America.  Whether Biden's strategy is right or not, at least it is an attempt to do something for the country he's meant to lead.  Trump cut the deal that emboldened the Taliban, but he saw that as a route to a quick and cheap headline.

On the one hand we're hearing of Taliban squads escorting foreigners to the airport and issuing conciliatory statements to the local population.  On the other, we're hearing of house-to-house searches for "collaborators". 

There are less than 500 ISIS or Al-Qaida operatives in Afghanistan.  If the Taliban let them grow and develop they become a threat.  If the Taliban clamp down on them (which they have done up to now) they risk defections by their own militants.

With all of that in mind, do you reckon the Americans will actually leave, or will they get dragged back in?  Will the rest of NATO go in with them if they are dragged back in?  How many years?  How much money?  And how much of that will be yours or mine?

Edited by Ulysses

alwaysthereinspirit
31 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Biden has pretty much reversed everything Trump implemented. This one not so much. Why? Brownie points. Being the President who ended 20 years in Afghanistan was just to much for him to turn down. Ripping it up or at least extending it until such times was the right thing to do. Unfortunately he couldn’t wait to gloat. Not so much now.

He’s an actual idiot.

1 minute ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Biden has pretty much reversed everything Trump implemented. This one not so much. Why? Brownie points. Being the President who ended 20 years in Afghanistan was just to much for him to turn down. Ripping it up or at least extending it until such times was the right thing to do. Unfortunately he couldn’t wait to gloat. Not so much now.

He’s an actual idiot.

If Biden had ripped up Trump's deal you'd still think he was an actual idiot.  You don't think Biden is an idiot because he's Biden.  You think he's an idiot because he's a Democrat.  I can't recall if I've mentioned to you before, but he doesn't care what you think.  :whistling: