Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm flexible about the number of teams in the championship, but I wouldn't go for 10 team leagues at tier 3 as they are too repetitive with 4 games against the same 9 other teams.  I would also want to encourage "ventilation", which you can't do as rapidly with smaller leagues.

Fair point, just thought it might be more palatable for the current league 1 and 2 clubs. They are the problem for meaningful league reconstruction, I suspect.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honestly there is zero point in restructuring any thing if we keep the split and the four old firm games . I appreciate the effort people are putting in to come up with ideas to make other bits a wee bit better , but it amounts to very little improvement for us if we keep the shan wee twelve team format and the stupid split 

Chuck Berry

Looking almost certain the Conference will be sent packing.  Hopefully now the SFA can have a grown-up conversation about the Pyramid. Doubtful but you never know.

Maxwell needs to go though.

Footballfirst
59 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Looking almost certain the Conference will be sent packing.  Hopefully now the SFA can have a grown-up conversation about the Pyramid. Doubtful but you never know.

Maxwell needs to go though.

It's been pulled.

Edited by Footballfirst

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It's been pulled.

Right ………… next proposals to put in front of these bastions of fairness and sporting integrity 

Return of a proper reserve league , not the shit show quarterly nonsense that we have just now 

At least one automatic relegation and promotion place between every division in the SPFL and pyramid 

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

A further potential development.

The absolute neck of that !!!! Automatic relegation and promotion you little blazer wearing piggies ? How about a mandatory proper reserve league ? Hypocritical self preservationist bull shit 

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The absolute neck of that !!!! Automatic relegation and promotion you little blazer wearing piggies ? How about a mandatory proper reserve league ? Hypocritical self preservationist bull shit 

I would like the B Teams to accept their fate and withdraw their applications as "guest clubs" for the coming season and for the clubs to get together to form that Reserve League, with no restrictions on age, eligibility or fees to be paid.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I would like the B Teams to accept their fate and withdraw their applications as "guest clubs" for the coming season and for the clubs to get together to form that Reserve League, with no restrictions on age, eligibility or fees to be paid.

I think, for next season, the latter would have to happen before the former as, otherwise, there would likely be no-where for them to go. 

A proper reserve league has always been my preference . What I detest is the moralising and hypocrisy of wankers like the guy who runs that Twitter account . If short sighted arseholes had not scrapped the reserves to spend more on the first team in the first place , we would not be in this mess . The current reserve league is a total joke 

Arseholes …………. Get the proposals for automatic relegation and qualification slapped on the table for league 2 and below and see how quickly these dicks hop the fence on their integrity bull shit 

The main problems with Scottish football imo is that the uglies want their 4 games a season, there are too many apparently top level clubs, part timers in what should be a full time game, no reserve league - amongst others (not all of which we will solve).

For the good of the game I think we need to be ruthless. Two top level leagues of 12 (Premiership and championship) then make it regionals thereafter (which contain b/reserve teams which can go no higher than regionals). Each team plays each other home and away then leagues split into 3 - top 8 of the Premiership, bottom 4 of Premiership & top 4 of the championship, bottom 8 of championship who then all play home and away. Top 8 play for title and European spots, next 8 play for 4 spots in the Premiership and the next 8 play to avoid relegation to the regionals. All 24 teams will end up playing meaningful games till seasons end, splits are fairer (as all teams play both home and away against all teams), uglies get their OF matches, teams in regionals don’t have high travel costs for league games. Could restructure the Scottish cup to start in a league format bringing regional teams money with a number of games with bigger teams. Personally I would lose the Micky mouse cup as you don’t even get a European spot if you win it. You could even have it that topping the league before the splits wins you something if you want to keep the thought of a treble achieveable.

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Heavily suspect that “ no to B teams “ ***** is a Hibby 

I've no idea who he is, but his twitter handle was not the right one to use for the campaign against the Conference League.  However, I don't think he should be criticised for embarking on it.

You were right to identify the "short sighted arseholes" as being a contributory cause of the current issues, but I suspect that many SPFL clubs will change their tune when it comes to opening up promotion / relegation.

If there is something positive that comes out of this, I hope it is clubs' belated recognition that fans have a valid viewpoint on how the pyramid works (or doesn't) and that there could be an opportunity to strike while the iron is hot and get some radical thinking into changing the pyramid structure.

I've no idea who he is, but his twitter handle was not the right one to use for the campaign against the Conference League.  However, I don't think he should be criticised for embarking on it.

You were right to identify the "short sighted arseholes" as being a contributory cause of the current issues, but I suspect that many SPFL clubs will change their tune when it comes to opening up promotion / relegation.

If there is something positive that comes out of this, I hope it is clubs' belated recognition that fans have a valid viewpoint on how the pyramid works (or doesn't) and that there could be an opportunity to strike while the iron is hot and get some radical thinking into changing the pyramid structure.

No arguments from me on any of this post Footballfirst . I urge caution on expecting too much from fan power though , especially after the failed attempt at changing our shit voting system , and the continued lack of a proposal to see the top division expanded to more teams . Both of which are favoured by the majority of supporters of the other clubs in this country 

Chuck Berry
20 minutes ago, Sooks said:

A proper reserve league has always been my preference . What I detest is the moralising and hypocrisy of wankers like the guy who runs that Twitter account . If short sighted arseholes had not scrapped the reserves to spend more on the first team in the first place , we would not be in this mess . The current reserve league is a total joke 

Arseholes …………. Get the proposals for automatic relegation and qualification slapped on the table for league 2 and below and see how quickly these dicks hop the fence on their integrity bull shit 

Why is the guy who runs that account getting grief?  he has nothing to do with the Lowland League.

7 minutes ago, Arfur said:

The main problems with Scottish football imo is that the uglies want their 4 games a season, there are too many apparently top level clubs, part timers in what should be a full time game, no reserve league - amongst others (not all of which we will solve).

For the good of the game I think we need to be ruthless. Two top level leagues of 12 (Premiership and championship) then make it regionals thereafter (which contain b/reserve teams which can go no higher than regionals). Each team plays each other home and away then leagues split into 3 - top 8 of the Premiership, bottom 4 of Premiership & top 4 of the championship, bottom 8 of championship who then all play home and away. Top 8 play for title and European spots, next 8 play for 4 spots in the Premiership and the next 8 play to avoid relegation to the regionals. All 24 teams will end up playing meaningful games till seasons end, splits are fairer (as all teams play both home and away against all teams), uglies get their OF matches, teams in regionals don’t have high travel costs for league games. Could restructure the Scottish cup to start in a league format bringing regional teams money with a number of games with bigger teams. Personally I would lose the Micky mouse cup as you don’t even get a European spot if you win it. You could even have it that topping the league before the splits wins you something if you want to keep the thought of a treble achieveable.

Anything that keeps the 12 teams Premiership and x4 old firm games will not improve things 

Just now, Chuck Berry said:

Why is the guy who runs that account getting grief?  he has nothing to do with the Lowland League.

No idea why he is getting grief from other quarters , but for me his user name and arrogant obtuse position on the issue ****s me right off . We are only entertaining the B team model because the self serving diddy clubs voted to scrap the reserve league so they could spend all their income on the first team . B teams are not the problem here 

Chuck Berry
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

No idea why he is getting grief from other quarters , but for me his user name and arrogant obtuse position on the issue ****s me right off . We are only entertaining the B team model because the self serving diddy clubs voted to scrap the reserve league so they could spend all their income on the first team . B teams are not the problem here 

B teams ARE the problem.  If the Lowland League hadn't admitted them for "one season only", then none of this would ever have happened. Rangers/Celtic would not have pushed for a second and then third season, and Hearts wouldn't have joined them.

A polite no from the LL a couple of years ago and we're not talking about B teams today.

Just now, Chuck Berry said:

B teams ARE the problem.  If the Lowland League hadn't admitted them for "one season only", then none of this would ever have happened. Rangers/Celtic would not have pushed for a second and then third season, and Hearts wouldn't have joined them.

A polite no from the LL a couple of years ago and we're not talking about B teams today.

The existence of B teams is squarely down to a bunch of short sighted diddies deciding that they no longer wanted or needed a reserve league . The day I listen to them on this issue is the day I start going to work completely naked other than a pair of Hibs socks . Hypocritical wankers 

See after that polite no ? Where would our B team players have been playing their football ? For goodness sake we are so ****ing tin pot in this country it is unreal . Do other countries have this stupid carry on over reserves

We would not be any where near this if a bunch of myopic were napoleon complex nobodies had not voted to scrap the reserves

This Twitter guy is just completely ignoring the real problem for us as a club and not concentrating his fire at the problem which has created the issue  

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

I don't think that the concept of "B Teams" in the pyramid is the problem. Three clubs already have two teams in the pyramid (Stranraer, Caledonian Braves and University of Stirling), while both Hibs and Spartans have had second teams in the recent past.

The problem is they way it is being pushed to the detriment of so many clubs.  Had the OF and Hearts joined the pyramid at the lowest tier two years ago, then they would already be at, or close to, the Lowland League, with no annual fee, or restrictions on age. 

There IS a reserve league. It has 10 teams in it, 5 of which are Premier League teams. They only played 9 games though, not sure why. Rangers, Celtic and Hearts could be part of it and help it work better and be more credible. Rangers and Celtic have their own agenda though, to get their names in the pyramid system twice so they can remain in Scottish football if they join an international league setup in future. Why Hearts are tagging along in their dirty shirt tails is beyond me.

part_time_jambo
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

It's been pulled.

“Consultation” - getting teams like Dundee to change their vote.

Chuck Berry
4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The existence of B teams is squarely down to a bunch of short sighted diddies deciding that they no longer wanted or needed a reserve league . The day I listen to them on this issue is the day I start going to work completely naked other than a pair of Hibs socks . Hypocritical wankers 

See after that polite no ? Where would our B team players have been playing their football ? For goodness sake we are so ****ing tin pot in this country it is unreal . Do other countries have this stupid carry on over reserves

We would not be any where near this if a bunch of myopic were napoleon complex nobodies had not voted to scrap the reserves

This Twitter guy is just completely ignoring the real problem for us as a club and not concentrating his fire at the problem which has created the issue  

Not sure Brentford B have an issue with no league to play in.

If Rangers, Celtic and Hearts really wanted a Reserve League, then there would be a reserve league. There already is one, it just needs to be resourced and expanded and above all else, promoted and taken seriously. However, they decided B teams was the way forward and found useful idiots in the Lowland and the SFA.  how about the £100k per year each B team was expected to pay into the Conference is instead used to build a reserve league?

The Twitter guy didn't ignore the problem, he actually rallied opinion and played a significant part in defeating the Conference idea, and all credit to him for that. Without him, who knows what would have happened.

Chuck Berry
6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I don't think that the concept of "B Teams" in the pyramid is the problem. Three clubs already have two teams in the pyramid (Stranraer, Caledonian Braves and University of Stirling), while both Hibs and Spartans have had second teams in the recent past.

The problem is they way it is being pushed to the detriment of so many clubs.  Had the OF and Hearts joined the pyramid at the lowest tier two years ago, then they would already be at, or close to, the Lowland League, with no annual fee, or restrictions on age. 

Don't disagree with that, start at the bottom has always been open to them.

2 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

There IS a reserve league. It has 10 teams in it, 5 of which are Premier League teams. They only played 9 games though, not sure why. Rangers, Celtic and Hearts could be part of it and help it work better and be more credible. Rangers and Celtic have their own agenda though, to get their names in the pyramid system twice so they can remain in Scottish football if they join an international league setup in future. Why Hearts are tagging along in their dirty shirt tails is beyond me.

The current reserve league in its current format came about at the last second after we had already created our B team . It is also a total shambles of non regularity in fixtures 

Hungry hippo
1 minute ago, Flimsy said:

That is a reserve league in name only and of no value to any team.

Happy the Conference League has been scrapped but nothing wrong with B teams at an appropriate level in the structure as long as it's not to the detriment of others.

3 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Don't disagree with that, start at the bottom has always been open to them.

And us ………. Hearts 

3 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Happy the Conference League has been scrapped but nothing wrong with B teams at an appropriate level in the structure as long as it's not to the detriment of others.

Totally and utterly this 

Just now, Hungry hippo said:

I actually am not against B teams in the pyramid if done fairly I.e. start at the bottom. What I don't like is Rangers, Celtic and Hearts throwing their weight around and buying their way into a higher league. The point I was trying to make is that there is a willingness for other teams to have a reserve league, so there is a place for those clubs to play their B teams in if they wanted to. There are other agendas at play though.

Chuck Berry
4 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

It clearly can be if properly resourced and the SPFL/SFA help to get going with funding.  However, if Rangers, Celtic and US! don't want it either, then we're part of the problem as well.

They all need to sit down, along with Aberdeen, H**s etc and work out how they want to develop players.  Clearly only 3 clubs were convinced B teams were the way to do it.

Top clubs have huge squads these days with bloated benches, a midweek reserve fixture card helps these player with match fitness as well as the promising youngsters.

Hungry hippo
24 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

It clearly can be if properly resourced and the SPFL/SFA help to get going with funding.  However, if Rangers, Celtic and US! don't want it either, then we're part of the problem as well.

They all need to sit down, along with Aberdeen, H**s etc and work out how they want to develop players.  Clearly only 3 clubs were convinced B teams were the way to do it.

Top clubs have huge squads these days with bloated benches, a midweek reserve fixture card helps these player with match fitness as well as the promising youngsters.

Rangers and Celtic had already ditched the reserve league before us which was why we chose to consider the B league route. Hearts made it clear on several occasions that a genuine reserve league was the preferred option but there seemed very little appetite from other teams for that and I've heard nothing to suggest that's changed.

Chuck Berry
10 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Rangers and Celtic had already ditched the reserve league before us which was why we chose to consider the B league route. Hearts made it clear on several occasions that a genuine reserve league was the preferred option but there seemed very little appetite from other teams for that and I've heard nothing to suggest that's changed.

If there was no appetite then why is there still a reserve league which others have called a waste of time? why would those clubs bother with it?

skinnybob72

A top league where we play each other once at home and once away is needed. If SKY want the OF to play each other 4 times a season the SFA can rig the cup draws so they meet at the first opportunity. 

Edited by skinnybob72

jambopilms
6 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

A top league where we play each other once at home and once away is needed. If SKY want the OF to play each other 4 times a season the SFA can rig the cup draws so they meet at the first opportunity. 

Problem is that teams like St Johnston and Livi want their extra home game against them.

If they can't balance their books without selling their ground to the OF they should cut their cloth accordingly. Same with plastic pitches 

Hungry hippo
1 hour ago, Hungry hippo said:

They play 9 games across a season with half of those against lower league teams. That's basically a few friendlies rather than a genuine league.

Turkishcap
1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Problem is that teams like St Johnston and Livi want their extra home game against them.

If they can't balance their books without selling their ground to the OF they should cut their cloth accordingly. Same with plastic pitches 

Agree.

Footballfirst

The SPFL announced the seedings for the group stage of the Viaplay Cup (League Cup) earlier today. Hearts have a bye because of qualifying for Europe. However, with 5 clubs in Europe for the past few seasons, it has once again created a spare slot in the group stages.

In 2021/22 East Kilbride (2nd in the LL) was invited. Last season it was Buckie Thistle (2nd in the HL) who benefited.  Today's invite went to ..................

"Cowdenbeath" (15th in the LL). The SPFL describes them as having been recently relegated 2021/22 and that they have accepted the invite.  Is the SPFL paying back a favour one one of its former loyal members?  They certainly did their best to keep Brechin in the SPFL during Covid, while demoting other clubs.  Participation in the group stages provides a guaranteed minimum of £22,000, which is welcome income for HL and LL clubs. 

https://spfl.co.uk/news/202324-viaplay-cup-draw-seedings

davemclaren
16 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The SPFL announced the seedings for the group stage of the Viaplay Cup (League Cup) earlier today. Hearts have a bye because of qualifying for Europe. However, with 5 clubs in Europe for the past few seasons, it has once again created a spare slot in the group stages.

In 2021/22 East Kilbride (2nd in the LL) was invited. Last season it was Buckie Thistle (2nd in the HL) who benefited.  Today's invite went to ..................

"Cowdenbeath" (15th in the LL). The SPFL describes them as having been recently relegated 2021/22 and that they have accepted the invite.  Is the SPFL paying back a favour one one of its former loyal members?  They certainly did their best to keep Brechin in the SPFL during Covid, while demoting other clubs.  Participation in the group stages provides a guaranteed minimum of £22,000, which is welcome income for HL and LL clubs. 

The optics around that are shocking. 

15 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Absolutely rotten.  I'd be very unhappy if I was the second team in the LL. 

Brechin will get the honour next season, irrespective of where they finish.

Hungry hippo
3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

That is crazy. I can't believe they haven't created a rule. Seems such a basic simple concept to decide how the team is selected.

Cowden did reach two League Cup semi finals in the past - losing 5-0 to Rangers in the late 60s plus, of course, in 1959-60 when we beat them 9-3 at Easter Road. 

Weirdly the other semi in 1959 was Third Lanark beating Arbroath........  Rangers/Celtic/Hibs etc all were knocked out in the Group stages.

Chuck Berry
17 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

It's just more corruption in plain sight.

Edited by Chuck Berry

Sorry, hadn’t seen the Cowdenbeath discussion before I asked the question in the Other Scottish Football thread as to why they were invited.  I can see no reason other than corruption.  Have none of the 20+ better placed HL/LL teams commented?

1 hour ago, AndrewB said:

Sorry, hadn’t seen the Cowdenbeath discussion before I asked the question in the Other Scottish Football thread as to why they were invited.  I can see no reason other than corruption.  Have none of the 20+ better placed HL/LL teams commented?

Stirling University (who should have got the place in the cup) have retweets from their manager and Civil Service Strollers about it.

I would love an under cover investigative journalist to go under cover at the SPFL ( and SFA refereeing association ) and get some corruption on hidden camera 

Footballfirst

A late change to the EOS league standings after Edinburgh United was deducted another 3 points for fielding an ineligible player.  It means that United will be relegated to EOS D3 and that Craigroyston will be spared.

It is the latest in a raft of points deductions at tier 5 and 6. A total of 9 EOS sides were deducted points, including Burntisland who were relegated only because of the loss of 3 points. Vale of Leithen ended up on -6 points for the season having been deducted 12 points in total.

In the WOS, 12 different teams were deducted points, while in the HL, Banks o' Dee was deducted 24 points.

On a more positive note, Linton Hotspur has confirmed their acceptance into the EOSFL and will start in Division 3 for the coming season.  I'm looking forward to paying a visit to their recently developed ground.

davemclaren

A late change to the EOS league standings after Edinburgh United was deducted another 3 points for fielding an ineligible player.  It means that United will be relegated to EOS D3 and that Craigroyston will be spared.

It is the latest in a raft of points deductions at tier 5 and 6. A total of 9 EOS sides were deducted points, including Burntisland who were relegated only because of the loss of 3 points. Vale of Leithen ended up on -6 points for the season having been deducted 12 points in total.

In the WOS, 12 different teams were deducted points, while in the HL, Banks o' Dee was deducted 24 points.

On a more positive note, Linton Hotspur has confirmed their acceptance into the EOSFL and will start in Division 3 for the coming season.  I'm looking forward to paying a visit to their recently developed ground.

West Linton - didn't even know there was a team there. 

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

West Linton - didn't even know there was a team there. 

They were an amateur side that has a bit of ambition (and some cash behind them). A local farmer provided the land for their ground which has been developed with a clubhouse and small stand.

Photo

image.png.6551e216417bb0e52c55b0d4d17f15f7.png

Edited by Footballfirst