• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I think all of the bigger teams would prefer a reserve league but other teams don't want to commit to that. Playing in the 5th tier is a compromise for all of them. 

Chuck Berry
On 19/05/2023 at 19:50, Niemi’s gloves said:

My point was that I don’t see any upside in us (Hearts) consulting fans. “Consultation” happens when it suits somebody to do it. Best for us to keep a low profile and let the OF and SFA take the flack

Hearts are already getting flack, you can't hide when there's only 3 B teams.

The damage this will do to the Pyramid and teams therein is a fairly serious issue, and the part Hearts as a club are playing in that should be of concern.  Lesson's of the past should tell the board that sometimes doing the right thing is better than self interest.

It's ironic we're going cap in hand to some of these clubs to borrow their grounds for the B team whilst at the same time helping relegate them a tier (assuming Hearts vote for the proposal)

Chuck Berry
11 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I think all of the bigger teams would prefer a reserve league but other teams don't want to commit to that. Playing in the 5th tier is a compromise for all of them. 

There's already a reserve league, although they only played each other once (9 games) plus a League Cup.  However, that can be built on.

On 20/05/2023 at 18:42, Captain Scarlett said:

I’d like to include Bonnyrigg as I’m in Gilmerton and it’s a 3 minute drive plus an EH postcode 😀😀😀

Bonnyrigg will never ever term themselves an Edinburgh team!

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Bonnyrigg will never ever term themselves an Edinburgh team!

Correct. Always a Midlothian team. First ever in the professional leagues. 

jamboinglasgow
51 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

There's already a reserve league, although they only played each other once (9 games) plus a League Cup.  However, that can be built on.

Why do you think there is only 9 games? If there was an appetite for a proper reserve league, there would be a reserve league with a full season. Problem is clubs are still not wanting to fully commit because it costs money for bigger squads. Even if you think clubs shouldn't think that, you still have to convince people.

The problem I have through all this is that there is a clear failure through all of Scottish football about youth development and a lot of the alternative solutions centre around what used to be done but not in the context of what has happened in the last 20-25 years in Scottish football. This is mixed in with a failure to see how to win people over to their side (on both sides.)

Since 2000s, Scottish football has struggled to bring youngsters through, clubs will have the odd burst in that time and some will sneak through but for what the country needs it doesn't really happen. In that time there has been reserve football, there has been U20 football, there has been numerous loan spells. And quite frankly its made little difference. I have not seen any difference from when the reserve league was in place and now in the levels of players coming through. I seen people talk about how loans are the great solution , not B teams, but I found few players actually get through loans into the first team around the country. Its an attitude in Scottish football (though its also to an extent British football) which makes me fed up of, it worked in the past therefore it should work now. While you dont discount everything from past because its from the past, you have to face things are different (usually summed up by an ex-pro bemoaning how in their day they did x but all the youngsters these days are pampered and lazy etc.) If you dont acknowledge and understand that, then even if you brought back all the old ways they would never work.

I am not saying B teams are the way, I think the way its being done is not great, but I also think we are facing the consequences of decades of self-interest at all levels of the game in Scottish football, with no attempt to look to a way that fits current football in Scottish. Scottish football needs to have a serious look at itself, its aims and how it wants to improve and compromises to be made. I doubt that will happen.

Tommy Brown
36 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Correct. Always a Midlothian team. First ever in the professional leagues. 

:hae36:

Heart of Midlothian 

:whistling:

AC Mallin_51
On 20/05/2023 at 18:42, Captain Scarlett said:

I’d like to include Bonnyrigg as I’m in Gilmerton and it’s a 3 minute drive plus an EH postcode 😀😀😀

Livi has an EH postcode 😂

Chuck Berry
11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Why do you think there is only 9 games? If there was an appetite for a proper reserve league, there would be a reserve league with a full season. Problem is clubs are still not wanting to fully commit because it costs money for bigger squads. Even if you think clubs shouldn't think that, you still have to convince people.

The problem I have through all this is that there is a clear failure through all of Scottish football about youth development and a lot of the alternative solutions centre around what used to be done but not in the context of what has happened in the last 20-25 years in Scottish football. This is mixed in with a failure to see how to win people over to their side (on both sides.)

Since 2000s, Scottish football has struggled to bring youngsters through, clubs will have the odd burst in that time and some will sneak through but for what the country needs it doesn't really happen. In that time there has been reserve football, there has been U20 football, there has been numerous loan spells. And quite frankly its made little difference. I have not seen any difference from when the reserve league was in place and now in the levels of players coming through. I seen people talk about how loans are the great solution , not B teams, but I found few players actually get through loans into the first team around the country. Its an attitude in Scottish football (though its also to an extent British football) which makes me fed up of, it worked in the past therefore it should work now. While you dont discount everything from past because its from the past, you have to face things are different (usually summed up by an ex-pro bemoaning how in their day they did x but all the youngsters these days are pampered and lazy etc.) If you dont acknowledge and understand that, then even if you brought back all the old ways they would never work.

I am not saying B teams are the way, I think the way its being done is not great, but I also think we are facing the consequences of decades of self-interest at all levels of the game in Scottish football, with no attempt to look to a way that fits current football in Scottish. Scottish football needs to have a serious look at itself, its aims and how it wants to improve and compromises to be made. I doubt that will happen.

Well clearly Hearts, Rangers and Celtic are already covering the costs associated with running B teams, therefore if those three instead went and joined the existing reserve league that would perhaps be the boost it needs to move it forward. Even Michael Beale said yesterday that for him, a reserve league would be preferable, so make it happen?

Instead - in cahoots with the Maxwell/SFA - they want to **** over the Pyramid which, despite only being a few seasons old, has really contributed to improving a lot of what's currently good with Scottish football. Bonnyrigg, Edinburgh City, Kelty Hearts, Cove Rangers and now Spartans all promoted, Darvel beating Aberdeen, Broxburn playing St.Mirren, Penicuik playing Partick Thiste, attendances up, facilities improving. Clubs finding their level and challenging whats aye been.

That's an exceptionally good news story for Scottish football.  It was long overdue, it was a lot of hard work for those clubs and for many it was a leap of faith, but now it's here. Problem is, the SPFL clubs look on in horror at what have happened to East Stirlingshire, Berwick, Cowdenbeath and Albion Rovers, and instead of embracing the challenge that's being presented they are doing all they possibly can to slow progress down and steadfastly refuse to auto relegate club 42, insisting on a play-off instead. Don't even begin to suggest they might ever relegate two clubs, fantasy stuff. They lobby the SFA to make it harder for clubs to gain a licence (you need a licence to gain SFA membership and to enter Lowland/Highland leagues). Now the Conference, a "buffer" or as the SFA put it a "softer landing" for SPFL clubs.  Why should these failed clubs get a softer landing?

The SFA changed their articles of association to ensure that all new members clubs from 2018 onwards do not having voting rights at AGM unless they hit the heights of the Lowland/Highland League.  So Darvel don't have a vote, Auckinleck Talbot do not have a vote, neither do the aforementioned Broxburn or Penicuik. One member one vote? nope.  Ask yourself why they did that? Maintaining control for the SPFL in what is supposed to be a national association that represents all leagues and clubs and members, only they really don't.

So let's bring it back to the SFA/Conference/developing youngsters debacle.  Let's face it this is a bonkers idea written by that halfwit Maxwell, at the behest of the OF clubs and with the SPFL looking upon it as an opportunity to slow down progress.

Will it improve younger players? that is very very debatable and it is nothing more than another stab in the dark by the SFA whilst ignoring the serious collateral damage it will cause.

12 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Well clearly Hearts, Rangers and Celtic are already covering the costs associated with running B teams, therefore if those three instead went and joined the existing reserve league that would perhaps be the boost it needs to move it forward. Even Michael Beale said yesterday that for him, a reserve league would be preferable, so make it happen?

Instead - in cahoots with the Maxwell/SFA - they want to **** over the Pyramid which, despite only being a few seasons old, has really contributed to improving a lot of what's currently good with Scottish football. Bonnyrigg, Edinburgh City, Kelty Hearts, Cove Rangers and now Spartans all promoted, Darvel beating Aberdeen, Broxburn playing St.Mirren, Penicuik playing Partick Thiste, attendances up, facilities improving. Clubs finding their level and challenging whats aye been.

That's an exceptionally good news story for Scottish football.  It was long overdue, it was a lot of hard work for those clubs and for many it was a leap of faith, but now it's here. Problem is, the SPFL clubs look on in horror at what have happened to East Stirlingshire, Berwick, Cowdenbeath and Albion Rovers, and instead of embracing the challenge that's being presented they are doing all they possibly can to slow progress down and steadfastly refuse to auto relegate club 42, insisting on a play-off instead. Don't even begin to suggest they might ever relegate two clubs, fantasy stuff. They lobby the SFA to make it harder for clubs to gain a licence (you need a licence to gain SFA membership and to enter Lowland/Highland leagues). Now the Conference, a "buffer" or as the SFA put it a "softer landing" for SPFL clubs.  Why should these failed clubs get a softer landing?

The SFA changed their articles of association to ensure that all new members clubs from 2018 onwards do not having voting rights at AGM unless they hit the heights of the Lowland/Highland League.  So Darvel don't have a vote, Auckinleck Talbot do not have a vote, neither do the aforementioned Broxburn or Penicuik. One member one vote? nope.  Ask yourself why they did that? Maintaining control for the SPFL in what is supposed to be a national association that represents all leagues and clubs and members, only they really don't.

So let's bring it back to the SFA/Conference/developing youngsters debacle.  Let's face it this is a bonkers idea written by that halfwit Maxwell, at the behest of the OF clubs and with the SPFL looking upon it as an opportunity to slow down progress.

Will it improve younger players? that is very very debatable and it is nothing more than another stab in the dark by the SFA whilst ignoring the serious collateral damage it will cause.

While the Scottish Premiership is as stagnant as ever, scratch beneath the surface and I believe Scottish football is booming and perhaps in the best place it's been for years. Like you touch upon, so many small town clubs who've long played in the Juniors are now thriving playing in the pyramid and Scottish Cups.

The landscape of Scottish football could look very different in 10-20 years.

11 minutes ago, Locky said:

While the Scottish Premiership is as stagnant as ever, scratch beneath the surface and I believe Scottish football is booming and perhaps in the best place it's been for years. Like you touch upon, so many small town clubs who've long played in the Juniors are now thriving playing in the pyramid and Scottish Cups.

I agree with you. I support one of those small town clubs and the last few years has been great fun. 

davemclaren
13 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

:hae36:

Heart of Midlothian 

:whistling:

Edinburgh is stil in the historic county of Midlothian, or Edinburghshire, but that's a topic for the Shed. 😄

14 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

I agree with you. I support one of those small town clubs and the last few years has been great fun. 

My go to lower league team is Musselburgh. Only really been going to watch them the last couple of seasons, but always loved that they regularly get crowds that match or top some League Two clubs.

Did the groundhop day in March, and have gone along to watch Bonnyrigg recently too. Great to see these clubs really alive and kicking.

As an aside, I'd love to see more non-league games be staggered throughout the weekend. Having a season ticket for Hearts takes up a lot of my Saturday afternoons, which sadly means the opportunity to get to EoS and LL games can be a bit of a novelty. Midweekers suit me to the ground, but even late Friday and Saturday night kick offs would be good. I know some teams do play on Friday nights, particularly in the LL, but it's usually just for ground sharing reasons.

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

I support one too. 

It's great. We've been to some great places this season and the league EOSFL 1 is competitive. 4 teams can still win the league going into the final Saturday. 

PortyBeach
15 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

And the likes of Whitburn, I imagine! Wannabe Weegie!

Chuck Berry
4 hours ago, Locky said:

You're bang on, but really the SFA don't care about that as demonstrated by their Conference nonsense.

Today they're shouting about the "Week of Football" celebrate grassroots yada yada yada, bunch of two faced hypocrites.

Footballfirst
4 hours ago, Locky said:

My go to lower league team is Musselburgh. Only really been going to watch them the last couple of seasons, but always loved that they regularly get crowds that match or top some League Two clubs.

Did the groundhop day in March, and have gone along to watch Bonnyrigg recently too. Great to see these clubs really alive and kicking.

As an aside, I'd love to see more non-league games be staggered throughout the weekend. Having a season ticket for Hearts takes up a lot of my Saturday afternoons, which sadly means the opportunity to get to EoS and LL games can be a bit of a novelty. Midweekers suit me to the ground, but even late Friday and Saturday night kick offs would be good. I know some teams do play on Friday nights, particularly in the LL, but it's usually just for ground sharing reasons.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I support one too. 

It's great. We've been to some great places this season and the league EOSFL 1 is competitive. 4 teams can still win the league going into the final Saturday. 

Likewise, I've watched Bonnyrigg 3 times this season, as well as (but excluding Hearts B games) Spartans, Tranent, CSS, Edinburgh Uni, GFR, Linlithgow, Musselburgh, Haddington, Hill of Beath, Penicuik, Nitten, Lochore, Arniston, Pumpherston, Whitburn, Edinburgh United, Armadale, Bo'ness Athletic et al.

The pyramid and licensing has brought much needed investment in clubs facilities, including, cover, toilets and disabled facilities.

Edited by Footballfirst

Captain Scarlett
17 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Aye but it’s no 3 minutes fae ma hoose 😀😀

AC Mallin_51
27 minutes ago, Captain Scarlett said:

Aye but it’s no 3 minutes fae ma hoose 😀😀

Lucky you 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Likewise, I've watched Bonnyrigg 3 times this season, as well as (but excluding Hearts B games) Spartans, Tranent, CSS, Edinburgh Uni, GFR, Linlithgow, Musselburgh, Haddington, Hill of Beath, Penicuik, Nitten, Lochore, Arniston, Pumpherston, Whitburn, Edinburgh United, Armadale, Bo'ness Athletic et al.

The pyramid and licensing has brought much needed investment in clubs facilities, including, cover, toilets and disabled facilities.

We've had great days out recently to Lochore, Burntisland, luncarty, Kinnoul, Kirkcaldy and a bumper session at Leith Athletic on Saturday past.

It all boils down to a win on Saturday at home to Camelon and we're up as Champions. 

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

We've had great days out recently to Lochore, Burntisland, luncarty, Kinnoul, Kirkcaldy and a bumper session at Leith Athletic on Saturday past.

It all boils down to a win on Saturday at home to Camelon and we're up as Champions. 

I'm unsure who I will watch this week, but possibly Haddington v Bo'ness Athletic tomorrow night and I'm thinking of going to Broadwood for the South Challenge Cup final between Spartans and Drumchapel on Sunday.

23 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Yaaaasss!

Rangers brought on 3 young subs late in the game v Hibs yesterday. A success for the B team idea? err No. They ONLY got their chance because the LL season was over and the B team wasn't playing. If the B team was still going they would NOT have got their chance.

Is the irony of that really lost on the SFA halfwits?

Footballfirst

Maxwell still wittering on about Croatia and their B Teams.  What he seems to have missed is that 3 of their 4 B Teams folded at the end of last season, leaving Osijek II as the last remaining side in the leagues.  Unfortunately, for them, they are 15th of 16 clubs in the 3rd tier with just two games left, looking odds on for relegation to the 4th (regionalised) tier, assuming that they continue to field a side.   

Chuck Berry

Maxwell is a clueless idiot, you just need to hear him speak to work that out. That then explains who came up with the Conference idea.

On 21/05/2023 at 21:59, jamboinglasgow said:

Aren't we enjoying a great period of Scottish footballers probably the best squad in 20 years so that tells me the last 15/20 yrs of Scottish football development has been working so why change it, at the end of the day it's nothing to do with developing Scottish players it is to help OF facilitate their youth players who won't get chance to play because of foreign signings constantly season upon season coming in to bolster the squads

4 minutes ago, TrueJambo said:

Aren't we enjoying a great period of Scottish footballers probably the best squad in 20 years so that tells me the last 15/20 yrs of Scottish football development has been working so why change it, at the end of the day it's nothing to do with developing Scottish players it is to help OF facilitate their youth players who won't get chance to play because of foreign signings constantly season upon season coming in to bolster the squads

Good point.

Currently it seems more about protecting unambitious League 2 clubs by putting an obstacle in the way of (mainly) Lowland League and below clubs.

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Good point.

Currently it seems more about protecting unambitious League 2 clubs by putting an obstacle in the way of (mainly) Lowland League and below clubs.

Main purpose is getting Old Firm B teams into the SPFL. They haven't found a way to do it yet but Lowland League vote was a start and this is the next step. 

9 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Good point.

Yes I understand that and have my own opinions about that however when I see the posts about development of young football players I don't see this would or could make any better a difference than what we see already and personally from working in the area if there wasn't so much politics in youth football there would be less talent missed and more quality youth players getting a chance, but again my own opinions

The Mighty Thor

Unbelievable scenes at Dunbar this afternoon.

Dunbar United 0-1 down needing a win to secure the league title miss 2 penalties and countless chances before getting an equaliser in 83 minutes. Total Dens Park 86 vibes at this point. 

93 minutes on the clock penalty number 3 awarded and the big CF, on as a sub, rams it in for 2-1.

Absolute ****ing limbs 

Footballfirst

A few outstanding issues were resolved with the final round of games in the EOS Divisions 1, 2, 3.

Dunbar sealed the Division 1 title after coming from behind to win with a late penalty at home to Camelon. (They missed two other penalties earlier in game). At the bottom of Division 1, Burntisland Shipyard was relegated after they lost 4-1 at home to Rosyth.  For much of the afternoon it looked like King's Cup winners Lochore Welfare would accompany "Shippy" when they fell 3-0 behind to fellow strugglers Coldstream. However the Welfare turned things on their head despite going down to 10 men by winning 4-3, to send Coldstream down instead.

Promoted - Dunbar, Kinnoull, Luncarty, Glenrothes.

Relegated - Kennoway Star Hearts, Coldstream, Burntisland Shipyard

In Division 2, the title and promotion places were already confirmed, but at the bottom Ormiston Primrose only needed to match Craigroyston's result to stay up.  Craigroyston beat Hawick RA 3-2, but Ormiston confirmed their status in Division 2 with a 6-0 win at Lochgelly.

Promoted - Whitburn, St Andrews, Heriot Watt, Arniston Rangers

Relegated - Hawick RA, Lochgelly Albert, Craigroyston

There was one promotion place outstanding in Division 3 with Edinburgh College and West Calder level on points going into the final game, which just happened to between the pair. It was the College that prevailed in a 4-3 win.

Promoted - Bo'ness Athletic, Armadale Thistle, Edinburgh College.

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst

As a one off, Hearts have given the academy teams the opportunity to play at Tynecastle next week. 

On Monday the U18s face St Mirren in their final game of the season. The game kicks off at 5:30pm.  It will be followed by the U13s v Hamilton at 7:45pm.

On Wednesday it is the turn of the U14s and U15s v Hamilton, with the kick offs again at 5:30pm and 7:45pm respectively.

I believe that the Wheatfield stand will be open.

John Findlay
12 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

As a one off, Hearts have given the academy teams the opportunity to play at Tynecastle next week. 

On Monday the U18s face St Mirren in their final game of the season. The game kicks off at 5:30pm.  It will be followed by the U13s v Hamilton at 7:45pm.

On Wednesday it is the turn of the U14s and U15s v Hamilton, with the kick offs again at 5:30pm and 7:45pm respectively.

👍

Hungry hippo
17 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Thanks for the tip off. I'll try to make it along.

skinnybob72
On 27/05/2023 at 22:15, Footballfirst said:

A few outstanding issues were resolved with the final round of games in the EOS Divisions 1, 2, 3.

Dunbar sealed the Division 1 title after coming from behind to win with a late penalty at home to Camelon. (They missed two other penalties earlier in game). At the bottom of Division 1, Burntisland Shipyard was relegated after they lost 4-1 at home to Rosyth.  For much of the afternoon it looked like King's Cup winners Lochore Welfare would accompany "Shippy" when they fell 3-0 behind to fellow strugglers Coldstream. However the Welfare turned things on their head despite going down to 10 men by winning 4-3, to send Coldstream down instead.

Promoted - Dunbar, Kinnoull, Luncarty, Glenrothes.

Relegated - Kennoway Star Hearts, Coldstream, Burntisland Shipyard

In Division 2, the title and promotion places were already confirmed, but at the bottom Ormiston Primrose only needed to match Craigroyston's result to stay up.  Craigroyston beat Hawick RA 3-2, but Ormiston confirmed their status in Division 2 with a 6-0 win at Lochgelly.

Promoted - Whitburn, St Andrews, Heriot Watt, Arniston Rangers

Relegated - Hawick RA, Lochgelly Albert, Craigroyston

There was one promotion place outstanding in Division 3 with Edinburgh College and West Calder level on points going into the final game, which just happened to between the pair. It was the College that prevailed in a 4-3 win.

Promoted - Bo'ness Athletic, Armadale Thistle, Edinburgh College.

Mon the Arnie! 

Been to a few EoSFL games recently and looking forward to the League Cup Final on Sunday 4th June at Meggatland which will be between Bo'ness Athletic and Linlithgow Rose / Dunipace. 

davemclaren

The Treasurer
10 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Raith says no.

I love how clubs like Rat Rovers talk about unfairness.

Didn't stop them and others shafting us when it suited them

PortyBeach
2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

I love how clubs like Rat Rovers talk about unfairness.

Didn't stop them and others shafting us when it suited them

An individual or an organisation can act unfairly, yes.
Does that mean they can’t claim something is unfair? Surely not.

The Treasurer
16 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

An individual or an organisation can act unfairly, yes.
Does that mean they can’t claim something is unfair? Surely not.

Of course not.

It's the moral high ground all these clubs were taking when shafting us, claiming they had the "good of the game" at heart.

Footballfirst

Even Queen's Park, who was seeking to take up the vacant B Team slot, has gone cold on the idea.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mailplus.co.uk%2Fscottish-edition%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2F283050

I just wish that Hearts would also come out and admit that the Conference League is a bad idea (that's not the same as wanting a B team in the pyramid).

Edited by Footballfirst

The Treasurer
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Even Queen's Park, who was seeking to take up the vacant B Team slot, has gone cold on the idea.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mailplus.co.uk%2Fscottish-edition%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2F283050

I just wish that Hearts would also come out and admit that the Conference League is a bad idea (that's not the same as wanting a B team in the pyramid).

The Conference League is a terrible idea, but its not just that plan that needs a radical rethink.

The whole promotion/relegation issue needs addressed along with a decent platform for clubs such as Hearts, to have meaningful games for young players and squad players. I think it used to be called the Reserve League

John Findlay

I wonder if Lawell will be allowed to give a passionate speech in favour of the conference league?

Anyone against it, told to sit down and be quiet?