Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

They were an amateur side that has a bit of ambition (and some cash behind them). A local farmer provided the land for their ground which has been developed with a clubhouse and small stand.

Photo

image.png.6551e216417bb0e52c55b0d4d17f15f7.png

Looks a better surface than Bonnyrigg. 😄

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has that boy with the No to B Teams monicker started a Twitter page demanding Cowdenbeath get launched out the League Cup ? Or a page demanding there is automatic relegation and promotion in the pyramid ? No ? I am sure he is just working on it ………….

Niemi’s gloves
6 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Creetown got in too as predicted.

To full membership of the SFA, rather than the EoS league (fortunately for the travel budgets of the teams in the bottom tier of the latter). Presumably if they wanted to shift out of the South League it would be to the West leagues, as Threave did a year ago. But no suggestion of a move as far as I can see. 

On 09/06/2023 at 17:10, Footballfirst said:

They were an amateur side that has a bit of ambition (and some cash behind them). A local farmer provided the land for their ground which has been developed with a clubhouse and small stand.

Photo

image.png.6551e216417bb0e52c55b0d4d17f15f7.png

I'd heard there was good things going on there a few months back. Never looked much more into it. Strong season for them? 

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

I'd heard there was good things going on there a few months back. Never looked much more into it. Strong season for them? 

Difficult to say. I think they would have to improve their squad a bit, as they finished 8th in the 3rd tier of the LEAFA Saturday amateur league.

Niemi’s gloves
7 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Carluke Rovers have also confirmed their licence. 

http://www.carlukerovers.co.uk/rovers-to-play-in-the-senior-scottish-cup/

Hearts away to Carluke in the Scottish Cup would have a certain romance to it, given that their stadium is named after Hearts legend and Carluke native, John Cumming. But they probably need to improve a fair bit on the park to make that a realistic possibility. 

Footballfirst
13 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Hearts away to Carluke in the Scottish Cup would have a certain romance to it, given that their stadium is named after Hearts legend and Carluke native, John Cumming. But they probably need to improve a fair bit on the park to make that a realistic possibility. 

They'll have to improve an enormous amount as they were relegated to WOS Division 4 (tier 10) for next season.

A new club, Knightswood FC, will be joining them there.  There are quite a few "boys clubs" in that division who are now seeking to provide a pathway into senior/adult football. 

On 12/06/2023 at 10:26, The Old Tolbooth said:

I can't believe Carluke play in blue, I'm shocked! :whistling:

The amateur side  Carluke Hearts don't :flag1:

Footballfirst

Looks like two teams are spending a lot of money changing their management teams and strengthening their squads for the next Lowland League campaign, East Kilbride and Tranent. I'd expect them to be favourites once the action starts on 22nd July.

East Kilbride

Manager Mick Kennedy (Darvel), assistant Si Ferry (Open Goal Broomhill)

Players - Callum Tapping* (FC Edinburgh), Keir Samson (Auchinleck), Mark Morrison (Troon), Liam Brown (Queen's Park), Marc Kelly (Caledonian Braves), Andrew McDonald (Darvel), Chris McGowan (Darvel), Adam McGowan (Hamilton/Tranent loan), Ryan Lockie (St Cadoc's), Jonny Lyon (Pollok), Andrew Stirling (Darvel), Nathan Flanagan* (Forfar)

* ex Hearts

Tranent

Manager Max Christie (Bo'ness Utd), Ian Little (Bo'ness Utd)

Players - Broque Watson (Broomhill), Jordon Forster (Kelty), Alan Horne (Bonnyrigg), Scott Gray (Bonnyrigg), Robbie McIntyre (FC Edinburgh), Dean Brett (Bonnyrigg), Lennon Walker (Falkirk/Boness Utd loan), Alassan Jones (Bo'ness Utd)

For anyone who is familiar with the pyramid leagues, both clubs look strong on paper, although we will have to wait to see if they can emulate that strength on the pitch. 

Footballfirst

The beginning of the end for B teams?

https://www.rangers.co.uk/Article/club-statement-scottish-lowland-football-league/6jLBPpT4G4BgTju0QQfL7X

RANGERS can today announce the club will not be entering a B team in the Scottish Lowland Football League in season 2023/24 and beyond. This follows the Scottish FA’s decision to withdraw a vote on the proposed introduction of a ‘Conference League’ at tier five in the national football pyramid.

Firstly, Rangers would like to put on record our sincere thanks to the Lowland League for hosting a Rangers B team in their league for the past two seasons, and to the clubs for their fantastic hospitality and sporting challenges during that time. Rangers wishes each and every one of them the very best for the future.

Rangers has long been a strong advocate for the introduction of B Teams in the professional leagues of Scottish football, with a Conference League being an excellent step in that direction. Nations across Europe operate similar B Team systems with strong evidence of their development of players at club and national level.

Indeed, all 10 teams who contributed most to the development of players for last year’s World Cup have B teams operating in national senior leagues. The desire from all at Rangers to have a B Team in the professional leagues remains as strong as ever.

Our view on B Teams was also strongly supported by the Scottish FA and its CEO Ian Maxwell, who recognise the clear, beneficial impact B Teams have on top international sides. For 18–21 year-old footballers, our research and the evidence clearly shows the best path for their development is playing professional football in professional leagues. A Conference League would have been a positive move towards that.

As matters now stand, there is no suitable, governing body-led development structure for players between 18-21 in Scotland. The club has, however, enjoyed positive dialogue with a number of key stakeholders in recent days, including the Scottish FA, and looks forward to continuing such discussions to map the best possible direction for the development of the country’s top young players.

Alongside the club’s participation in the Lowland League in the last two seasons, a challenging ‘best v best’ games programme has provided our young players with matches against clubs from the highest levels of British and European competition.

This has proved a success, with 10 recent Academy players featuring in the Rangers first-team last season.

Matches with the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool are among the fixtures to have featured and that programme will continue and indeed be enhanced alongside the club’s commitments in the SPFL Trust Trophy, City of Glasgow Cup and, hopefully, the UEFA Youth League, which provided an outstanding environment for our players last season. This will ensure our young players in that crucial 18-21 age group are given regular tests of a varied nature.

Rangers remains committed to finding the most innovative and challenging environments for our young players, not only for the benefit of our club, but also for the benefit of other clubs and the Scotland national team. We look forward to continuing our positive engagement with the Scottish FA and other bodies in the drive for young player development.

Edited by Footballfirst

hmfc4life1991
8 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Wonder if Hearts and Celtic will do likewise. 

Every article linking Liam Fox with the B team manager job says Hearts will still enter a team. Can't see Liam Fox taking it if we won't be In the Lowland League. 

Hungry hippo
25 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Wonder if Hearts and Celtic will do likewise. 

Doubt Hearts will leave.

I've said from the start that I cant see us wanting a Conference League and if that is the case we have no reason to protest which seems to be what Rangers are doing.

It shows how ludicrous it was for the SFA to try to force through a "conference" which would become a white elephant on the whim of one or other OF club

Footballfirst

Hearts are unlikely to withdraw without an alternative plan for games.

It is clear from the Rangers statement that they only saw the Conference League as a stepping stone to higher leagues and are only interested in themselves.

It's also clear that Hearts have been used by Rangers as leverage for what they wanted. 'twas always thus.

Just reintroduce a proper reserve league for goodness sake . Stop trying to be innovative and reinvent the wheel . All we need is a reserve league like we had for decades . The conference league was a pish idea any way

The Treasurer
27 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Just reintroduce a proper reserve league for goodness sake . Stop trying to be innovative and reinvent the wheel . All we need is a reserve league like we had for decades . The conference league was a pish idea any way

Couldn't agree more.

The reserve league allowed youngsters to get experience, fringe players to get game time and players coming back from injury could be eased in gradually.

Sometimes young players were farmed out to the juniors to "toughen them up"

37 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Couldn't agree more.

The reserve league allowed youngsters to get experience, fringe players to get game time and players coming back from injury could be eased in gradually.

Sometimes young players were farmed out to the juniors to "toughen them up"

It really is just as simple as that . The toothless governing bodies are overseeing a total shambles with different clubs having different youth teams and policies . Grow a backbone and tell clubs that the reserve league is being brought back in and it is mandatory for all top tier clubs . If they want to also do this elite youth thing or what ever then fine , they can do that too if they like but in order to have top tier status you must have a reserve team 

The Treasurer
14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It really is just as simple as that . The toothless governing bodies are overseeing a total shambles with different clubs having different youth teams and policies . Grow a backbone and tell clubs that the reserve league is being brought back in and it is mandatory for all top tier clubs . If they want to also do this elite youth thing or what ever then fine , they can do that too if they like but in order to have top tier status you must have a reserve team 

Those clubs who would struggle financially, and there will be a few, to carry a squad big enough can promote younger players from their youth ranks to play for the reserves.

The results in the reserve league are not the most important thing, game time and experience are the main reasons for having a second team

It was always going to be hard for a new club like Rangers to sustain a B team.

Leave it to the more established clubs I say.... 😇😁

4 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Those clubs who would struggle financially, and there will be a few, to carry a squad big enough can promote younger players from their youth ranks to play for the reserves.

The results in the reserve league are not the most important thing, game time and experience are the main reasons for having a second team

Yip . I am not being funny but if the only way a club can afford to stay in the top division is by having a plastic pitch and no reserve team , then may be they are playing at too high a level to sustain ? We are supposed to be elite level football but every thing is just so amateurish . Uneven splits and clubs selling three stands to away supporters , plastic pitches , no reserve league , a terrible TV deal , two clubs having voting rights over every one else , a top division so small and tight that clubs can not afford to blood youngsters in case they get relegated and it puts them in administration , games with just 30 minutes of ball in play action because every one plays each other so often players all know each others games inside out . The whole thing needs reset 

John Findlay

Those two from Glasgow dont get their oen way. So they bugger it ip for everyone else.

jamboinglasgow

To be fair, the article says they are considering their options. But very poor if both the Old Firm pull out as it shows this was not about developing their players. Certainly doesn't help their aims if they are suddenly throwing a strop to get their way. Especially as the league has voted to have them and planning for the league to include them next season.

I do think Hearts have shown they are driven at having a B team in the league due to looking to develop youngsters. I think Hearts could keep in it and use it to develop good relations with the Lowland League clubs. 

They want into League One then maybe even the Championship.

But if Lowland League has said this is the final season for B teams then it might make sense to go now. 

Edited by Mikey1874

On 11/06/2023 at 14:18, Footballfirst said:

Difficult to say. I think they would have to improve their squad a bit, as they finished 8th in the 3rd tier of the LEAFA Saturday amateur league.

Just saw this earlier today. Fair play too them. Certainly not the first LEAFA team I'd have thought of going semi-pro. Can't imagine they'll get big crowds or that so they might find it tough. And as you said, had a bang average season in the 3rd tier of amateur football. Unless they strengthen considerably, they're going to find it tough.

12 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

To be fair, the article says they are considering their options. But very poor if both the Old Firm pull out as it shows this was not about developing their players. Certainly doesn't help their aims if they are suddenly throwing a strop to get their way. Especially as the league has voted to have them and planning for the league to include them next season.

I do think Hearts have shown they are driven at having a B team in the league due to looking to develop youngsters. I think Hearts could keep in it and use it to develop good relations with the Lowland League clubs. 

Not unexpected for me to see Celtic weighing it up. 

Curious what position Hearts take but if both leave - weren't Celtic and Rangers putting up a bit of money to make this attractive to the clubs in the Lowland League (and even then plenty were opposed) ? Unsure if Hearts will see themselves booted out by the other teams if the incentives to allow B teams evaporate. 

7 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Not unexpected for me to see Celtic weighing it up. 

Curious what position Hearts take but if both leave - weren't Celtic and Rangers putting up a bit of money to make this attractive to the clubs in the Lowland League (and even then plenty were opposed) ? Unsure if Hearts will see themselves booted out by the other teams if the incentives to allow B teams evaporate. 

Lowland League has already given agreement for B teams next season. Would need a new vote to kick Hearts out.

They said they still want 18 teams next season after Rangers withdrew.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Lowland League has already given agreement for B teams next season. Would need a new vote to kick Hearts out.

Aye I know but a new vote isn't beyond the realms of possibility. Even so, could be last season with Hearts B in there if they do just let it run this year. 

Obviously I'm saying this based on a Celtic withdrawal. 

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I wonder, after Queens Park were reported to have offered to take Aberdeens place for a conference league slot, whether they put their name forward for the B team spot in the Lowland League.

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Maybe I am wrong. They want a B team in Conference as a back-up in case they get a way out of Scottish football.

eg. Join an Atlantic League, a B team in the conference keeps them in Scotland if/when it goes Pete Tong.

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Maybe I am wrong. They want a B team in Conference as a back-up in case they get a way out of Scottish football.

eg. Join an Atlantic League, a B team in the conference keeps them in Scotland if/when it goes Pete Tong.

I think that is definitely a part of their thought process long term 

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

FC Edinburgh can now be called Edinburgh City once again.

this could get interesting.  Edinburgh City (the boys club who have teams at all ages and have been known as Edinburgh City for donkeys) have fallen out with FC edinburgh due to no link up.

So Edinburgh City (boys club version) have taken over Craigroyston and renamed it to Edinburgh City.    

This could get fun 

image.thumb.png.d16589a74ecf1014ad082bb2b79ba8e0.png

davemclaren
43 minutes ago, poggs said:

this could get interesting.  Edinburgh City (the boys club who have teams at all ages and have been known as Edinburgh City for donkeys) have fallen out with FC edinburgh due to no link up.

So Edinburgh City (boys club version) have taken over Craigroyston and renamed it to Edinburgh City.    

This could get fun 

Presumably someone has it registered with the SFA. 🤷‍♂️

Unknown user
On 30/05/2023 at 18:13, davemclaren said:

I don't know, it's an easy couple of hundred words to bash out but the countries' leagues and teams face very different challenges.

I don't think we do dread a David up here, people seemed to welcome Arbroath's close shave and seem positive about what the new teams in the pyramid bring.

I don't care for William Electricity though to be fair, I always feel like he's pumping out words without much genuine analysis.

Unknown user
On 30/05/2023 at 18:13, davemclaren said:

I don't know, it's an easy couple of hundred words to bash out but the countries' leagues and teams face very different challenges.

I don't think we do dread a David up here, people seemed to welcome Arbroath's close shave and seem positive about what the new teams in the pyramid bring.

I don't care for William Electricity though to be fair, I always feel like he's pumping out words without much genuine analysis.

Footballfirst

Linton Hotspur, newly admitted to the EOSFL, got a bit of a shock in their first encounter with a "senior" side yesterday.  Hearts B plays Preston Athletic next Wednesday.

Edited by Footballfirst

On 29/06/2023 at 20:25, poggs said:

This could get fun 

Saw this at the time and lazily assumed they were going to be in collaboration with the senior team, so essentially a B team for them. Having read a bit more the last few days, I've realised that's not the case at all. However, I've not read anything that suggests what the name change will be. It is all a bit odd in a way though how FC Edinburgh managed to get permission to become Edinburgh City again. Would love to know what's all went on behind the scenes.

There's obviously now big questions as to why the youth club and the senior team can't just be as one again, but that boat seems to have sailed for now. Any name change here, surely will need to be a work around that incorporates the name of Craigroyston and EC.

As for their amateur team they refer to, I'm not sure exactly who that is. There is a Craigroyston AFC in the LEAFA Saturday amateur leagues, but my interpretation is that they're nothing to do with the Senior club. It was Edinburgh North who have rebranded as Craigroyston AFC, and this is apparently as they use the facilities of Craigroyston Youth Club, who also have nothing to do with the EOS team.

All a bit mental.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Linton Hotspur, newly admitted to the EOSFL, got a bit of a shock in their first encounter with a "senior" side yesterday.  Hearts B plays Preston Athletic next Wednesday.

Christ. Forgot to look at how they got on last night. Still find it very odd that they made the switch from LEAFA to EOS but good luck to them all the same. They finished 4th bottom in the 3rd tier of LEAFA amateur football. So, except for some serious recruitment, they're surely going to be in for a long and very difficult season.

Preston Jambo
2 hours ago, Locky said:

Saw this at the time and lazily assumed they were going to be in collaboration with the senior team, so essentially a B team for them. Having read a bit more the last few days, I've realised that's not the case at all. However, I've not read anything that suggests what the name change will be. It is all a bit odd in a way though how FC Edinburgh managed to get permission to become Edinburgh City again. Would love to know what's all went on behind the scenes.

There's obviously now big questions as to why the youth club and the senior team can't just be as one again, but that boat seems to have sailed for now. Any name change here, surely will need to be a work around that incorporates the name of Craigroyston and EC.

As for their amateur team they refer to, I'm not sure exactly who that is. There is a Craigroyston AFC in the LEAFA Saturday amateur leagues, but my interpretation is that they're nothing to do with the Senior club. It was Edinburgh North who have rebranded as Craigroyston AFC, and this is apparently as they use the facilities of Craigroyston Youth Club, who also have nothing to do with the EOS team.

All a bit mental.

Maybe FC Edinburgh should change their name Postal United and pretend it’s all just been a bad dream 😏

Penicuik Athletic manager David Hannah stands down after 2 months and only 2 competitive games in charge. He took over from Calum Elliot who was also only in charge for a couple of months. With so many of the East Premier big guns now in the Lowland League or higher the East Premier Division looks wide open and Penicuik would have been fancied as a contender. There's been a lot of player movement in and out at the club in the close season.

The statement is pretty tight lipped

davemclaren
27 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Penicuik Athletic manager David Hannah stands down after 2 months and only 2 competitive games in charge. He took over from Calum Elliot who was also only in charge for a couple of months. With so many of the East Premier big guns now in the Lowland League or higher the East Premier Division looks wide open and Penicuik would have been fancied as a contender. There's been a lot of player movement in and out at the club in the close season.

The statement is pretty tight lipped

Football at all levels always has these intrigues. 😄