Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

33 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Penicuik have done very little to their facilities in 20 years, their changing rooms are poor, their hospitality areas are small to non-existent, inside the ground is poor, you have to go outside and back to the pavilion for a fillet of fish.  Some of their fans are arseholes, think they're better than they are and when they're not, chuck abuse at their own.   

Correct with the last sentence 100% in my experience. 
I was an outsider taking in their games because I knew someone on the coaching staff. I was privy to some of the problems they had due to losing quality players and then having to replace them. 
What they achieved on their budget compared to Tranent and Linlithgow was nothing short of a miracle and their thanks was abuse. 
I enjoyed taking in their games over a 3 year period but it’s safe to say I won’t be back. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Jarhead said:

Correct with the last sentence 100% in my experience. 
I was an outsider taking in their games because I knew someone on the coaching staff. I was privy to some of the problems they had due to losing quality players and then having to replace them. 
What they achieved on their budget compared to Tranent and Linlithgow was nothing short of a miracle and their thanks was abuse. 
I enjoyed taking in their games over a 3 year period but it’s safe to say I won’t be back. 

I take it from your post that your issue is with some of their fans rather than the committee.  Unlike other clubs at their level, they have always tried to live within their means. They don't have a major sponsor (or a sugar daddy), so rely on a multitude of small sponsors (mainly local businesses). They haven't paid over the odds in wages in order to attract better players.  Their media is as good as any others in the league.  To that extent, I think the club has been run well in recent years, while being reasonably successful on the park too.

Part way through the final game in the EOS conference play-offs in May 2019 it was Penicuik who would have been promoted to the Lowland League for season 2019/20 and not Bonnyrigg, but for the Rose scoring a couple of late goals with 10 men against Broxburn. 

I don't get the criticism of their facilities. Their park is council owned so they are reliant, in part, on others for its maintenance and development. They were one of the earliest ex Junior sides to be awarded an SFA Licence, so they have made investment in the the club in terms of people, processes and facilities.  

It is disappointing to see them lose managers, players and now games, to the extent that they have. I hope that it is just a blip and that they can recover from before too long. Personally, I've always found it a friendly club to visit and have done numerous times in the last few years.  

On 12/08/2023 at 21:12, Footballfirst said:

I took a trip to Luncarty today to watch their Scottish Cup tie against Loch Ness. The 3-1 scoreline in favour of the home side was more comfortable that it might suggest.  They hit the bar and the post in the first half and the Loch Ness keeper made 4 or 5 great saves.  Their reward? A wee trip down to D&G to play Newton Stewart in the next round.

Elsewhere in the Scottish Cup, WOS champions Beith had a narrow 2-1 win away to Midland League champions Carnoustie Panmure. Well done to Amateur Cup winners Cupar Hearts too for their 5-0 win away to SOS champions Abbey Vale.  Both winning sides will have local ties in the next round, with Beith at home to Bonnyton Thistle and Cupar Hearts have a difficult game away to Jeanfield Swifts.  

I know a boy who plays for Loch Ness and was on the bench on Saturday. Hibs ****. :) 

Been a wee while since I got to a game which is shite considering there's been plenty on around me, but I finally made it along Saturday to East Peffermill for the first time this season as Edinburgh Uni were beaten 4-2 by Bo'ness Athletic.

The scoreline somewhat flattered the visitors. I was impressed by the level of fight shown by Uni and they were incredibly lucky to find themselves 1 down at the break. They started the 2nd half the way the played the first and took their chances to take a 2-1 lead and looked relatively comfortable until their keeper dropped a clanger to make it 2-2. At that point, Uni ran out of steam a bit and Bo'ness controlled the latter stages, and in a far more ruthless manner than their counterparts, put the game to bed.

Some start for Bo'ness for sure, but if Saturday is anything to go by then they'll run in to trouble sooner rather than later. Uni's results have been pretty competitive so far this season, and Saturday's performance was definitely gutsy. If they can find a way to dig in and get points, especially against the other basement clubs, then I'd fancy them to avoid relegation.

9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I take it from your post that your issue is with some of their fans rather than the committee.  Unlike other clubs at their level, they have always tried to live within their means. They don't have a major sponsor (or a sugar daddy), so rely on a multitude of small sponsors (mainly local businesses). They haven't paid over the odds in wages in order to attract better players.  Their media is as good as any others in the league.  To that extent, I think the club has been run well in recent years, while being reasonably successful on the park too.

Part way through the final game in the EOS conference play-offs in May 2019 it was Penicuik who would have been promoted to the Lowland League for season 2019/20 and not Bonnyrigg, but for the Rose scoring a couple of late goals with 10 men against Broxburn. 

I don't get the criticism of their facilities. Their park is council owned so they are reliant, in part, on others for its maintenance and development. They were one of the earliest ex Junior sides to be awarded an SFA Licence, so they have made investment in the the club in terms of people, processes and facilities.  

It is disappointing to see them lose managers, players and now games, to the extent that they have. I hope that it is just a blip and that they can recover from before too long. Personally, I've always found it a friendly club to visit and have done numerous times in the last few years.  

At that level fans and committee can be interchangeable…..

I should be clear that it was a very vocal minority and the majority of people around the club came across as decent. The fact that they were aware of the budget restrictions but allowed the abuse to continue was what disappointed me. 
When a game is only watched by a couple of hundred people, loud abuse towards your own coaching team doesn’t go unnoticed. 
I understand these fans are emotionally invested in their own club but, even as an outsider, I could see the harm they were doing and, ultimately, I fear they will reap what they have sown. 

You are quite right about the restrictions they have on their ground but it can’t be denied that they are a premier league team with a 2nd division ground. 

In the absence of common sense and simply swapping the tie to Clydebank there's always the option to move the game 220 miles away 🤔

On 13/08/2023 at 23:54, Footballfirst said:

Are you linked to Penicuik, how would you know re wages? 

Their facilities have not moved on in 20 years, regardless of licence.  They still don't have toilets inside the ground, no seating, the cover over the shallow terracing is dangerous with protruding supports you can smack yer heid on if you're not careful. The changing rooms are out of the dark ages, they have little or no hospitality space (even the smallest of clubs have better). They have installed lights but wasn't that paid for by the Council? Many clubs grounds in the Lothians are Council owned, but significant improvements and investments have been made by the clubs.

Whatever money was earned during their Scottish Cup run [and it would have been a significant chunk] has been invested elsewhere by the looks of it, players?

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Are you linked to Penicuik, how would you know re wages? 

Their facilities have not moved on in 20 years, regardless of licence.  They still don't have toilets inside the ground, no seating, the cover over the shallow terracing is dangerous with protruding supports you can smack yer heid on if you're not careful. The changing rooms are out of the dark ages, they have little or no hospitality space (even the smallest of clubs have better). They have installed lights but wasn't that paid for by the Council? Many clubs grounds in the Lothians are Council owned, but significant improvements and investments have been made by the clubs.

Whatever money was earned during their Scottish Cup run [and it would have been a significant chunk] has been invested elsewhere by the looks of it, players?

I'm not linked to Penicuik but I do know some who have had connections with the club for many years.

Have you expressed your concerns about ground safety to the club, the council or the SFA's Licensing Board?  BTW, the toilets are within the confines of the ground as configured on match days. They wouldn't get a licence otherwise.

You come across as having a chip on your shoulder about the club. Were you previously on their books?

16 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm not linked to Penicuik but I do know some who have had connections with the club for many years.

Have you expressed your concerns about ground safety to the club, the council or the SFA's Licensing Board?  BTW, the toilets are within the confines of the ground as configured on match days. They wouldn't get a licence otherwise.

You come across as having a chip on your shoulder about the club. Were you previously on their books?

You know a lot about them and are getting defensive.  My only connection to Penicuik is as a visiting fan since they returned in 2000 or thereabouts, no chip, just comments on their poor facilities.

The toilets are out the gate and across a public path, using the same access as the players.  I recall you used to have to go to a public toilet block in the park.

Footballfirst
39 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

You know a lot about them and are getting defensive.  My only connection to Penicuik is as a visiting fan since they returned in 2000 or thereabouts, no chip, just comments on their poor facilities.

The toilets are out the gate and across a public path, using the same access as the players.  I recall you used to have to go to a public toilet block in the park.

Not defensive in the slightest. As I said  previously I have friends who have had connections with the club and I have always found the club welcoming and friendly. 

The ground is what it is, a council owned facility. The club doesn't generate enough money to be extravagant either in paying wages or improving facilities, cover or seating. The clubs who have made significant improvements in recent years have generally had a reliance on a major sponsor or benefactor. Those who don't have done well to get the basics in place in order to get an SFA Licence.

I too remember having to go to the public toilet in the park, so they have clearly invested some cash in providing facilities within the park.  The "public path" is closed off to the public on match days to provide secure and enclosed access. It's not ideal for spectators to share a walkway with the players, but it's common at that level for players to have to walk through spectator areas between the dressing rooms and the pitch, so I don't see what the issue is.

It would have been good if the club had managed to get an agreement with the Rugby Club to share facilities on match days, but I have no idea if such discussions ever took place.

Just now, Footballfirst said:

Not defensive in the slightest. As I said  previously I have friends who have had connections with the club and I have always found the club welcoming and friendly. 

The ground is what it is, a council owned facility. The club doesn't generate enough money to be extravagant either in paying wages or improving facilities, cover or seating. The clubs who have made significant improvements in recent years have generally had a reliance on a major sponsor or benefactor. Those who don't have done well to get the basics in place in order to get an SFA Licence.

I too remember having to go to the public toilet in the park, so they have clearly invested some cash in providing facilities within the park.  The "public path" is closed off to the public on match days to provide secure and enclosed access. It's not ideal for spectators to share a walkway with the players, but it's common at that level for players to have to walk through spectator areas between the dressing rooms and the pitch, so I don't see what the issue is.

It would have been good if the club had managed to get an agreement with the Rugby Club to share facilities on match days, but I have no idea if such discussions ever took place.

Certainly some, but not all of them.  Penicuik will have made significant cash from their Scottish Cup runs and transfer fees, that's clearly been chucked at the playing squad rather than facilities. Looking at the programme they also must rake in a significant sum annually in sponsorship as well, and decent home gates.

So they're not exactly a plucky club punching above their weight, they were chucking everything at promotion to the Lowland League, Calum Eliott doesn't/didn't come cheap and to manage on buttons. Their fans as well clearly thought they were amongst the big boys and acted as such.

I guess now the money is beginning to run out and they have little to show for it. Pass me a small violin. Haddington and Dunbar have overtaken them on and off the park. as have Bonnyrigg, Musselburgh and Tranent.  No wonder their fans are feeling pissed off.

Footballfirst

The biggest story of the season thus far could be the end of an era of dominance in the WOS by Auchinleck Talbot. 14th out of 16 teams is poor by any standards. They have also lost some of their stalwarts from recent seasons.

Screenshot_2023-08-21-00-15-48-417_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.aab7ba01c470667dd198256383c11c18.jpg

Young Hearts boys still doing well.

East Kilbride looking strong.

Poor result for Linlithgow today.

Albion have now put three wins together, maybe a threat.

Screenshot_20230826_175220_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20230826_175154_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20230826_175243_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Niemi’s gloves

Well done to the East pyramid’s newest club, Linton Hotspur from West Linton, who got their first points today with a 3-2 win away to Livingston United. 

Footballfirst

Auchinleck also lost again today. Unlikely to be a contender anytime soon in the WOS. Lost a couple of key players in Leishman and Samson. Graham Wilson is now 34 and not scoring as he did.

Edited by Footballfirst

The Mighty Thor

Scottish Cup day for many of the pyramid clubs today.

I'll be down at Dunbar United v Vale of Leithen.

If you want to see real football with attacking midfielders and all sorts get down to your local club today.

8-10 quid for this kind of action 

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

If you want to see real football with attacking midfielders and all sorts get down to your local club today.

Home win by a mile

The Mighty Thor
52 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Home win by a mile

Should be a home win. 

Vale have struggled at the start of this season after going down. 

Cracking day for the game 👍

3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Musselburgh vs Coldstream for me today. First chance I’ve had to watch Mussy in the Cup. Looking forward to it.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Rick James said:

Musselburgh vs Coldstream for me today. First chance I’ve had to watch Mussy in the Cup. Looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, BlueRiver said:

Lowland league duties for me. 

Tranent vs Gretna. 

Enjoy boys👍

On 13/08/2023 at 22:44, Jarhead said:

Simply put,

1- Penicuik punched above their weight for several years. 
2- This caused them to lose their better players. 
3- So called “fans “ couldn’t accept that replacements signed for hundreds weren’t quite as good as those sold for thousands so started throwing verbal abuse about at the games. 
4- Team management resigned. Committee made an arse of it. 

It’s a shame as they had a very good period but there is at least half a dozen clubs with better facilities and a more progressive approach so I would think Penicuik will be towards the bottom of the league this season. 

Not sure what's going on at Penicuik. They looked promising not too long ago. Boness top of the league and their record signing Ryan Porteous lives in Penicuik.

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Should be a home win. 

Vale have struggled at the start of this season after going down. 

Cracking day for the game 👍

Enjoy nice wee stadium Countess Park

Final score Tynecastle 0 Hutchison Vale 1.

Deserved. Tynecastle never got out of second gear. Hutchie created more. Their young left back No3 looks a good prospect. Just at end Hutchie keeper made a good save from header from free kick but that was their best chance. 

About 100 at game. 

The Mighty Thor

Final score Dunbar Utd 4 Vale of Leithen 2

Couple of great finishes, worst red card decision I've ever seen and 2 penalties.

Q&A with the management, pints and a buffet. 

Class 👍

Footballfirst

A couple of surprises in the cup for me.  Penicuik beating Rutherglen Glencairn (finalists in the Junior cup last season), and more surprisingly St Andrews beating Haddington.

The first round draw takes place tomorrow evening and will see the tier 5 clubs enter the competition.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Final score Dunbar Utd 4 Vale of Leithen 2

Couple of great finishes, worst red card decision I've ever seen and 2 penalties.

Q&A with the management, pints and a buffet. 

Class 👍

Been a beautiful day down in Sunny Dunny

Didn't go the match though.

Sitting out just now, lovely

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Final score Tynecastle 0 Hutchison Vale 1.

Deserved. Tynecastle never got out of second gear. Hutchie created more. Their young left back No3 looks a good prospect. Just at end Hutchie keeper made a good save from header from free kick but that was their best chance. 

About 100 at game. 

Where do these two play their home games?

4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Where do these two play their home games?

Tynecastle play at Meggetland.

Think Hutchie play at Saughton Park.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Tynecastle play at Meggetland.

Think Hutchie play at Saughton Park.

As soon as I posted, I remembered about HV.  I take it they have dropped the Lothian Thistle from the name now?

Footballfirst

Scottish Cup first round draw (made by Craig Gordon)

Cowdenbeath v Linlithgow Rose ***

Clachnacuddin v Inverurie Locos

Dalkeith Thistle v Clydebank ***

Formartine Utd v Threave Rovers

Dunipace v Cumnock

Gala Fairydean Rovers v Strathspey Thistle

Wick Academy v Jeanfield Swifts

Lossiemouth v Beith 

Edinburgh University v Dunbar Utd ***

Caledonian Braves v Fraserburgh

Banks o' Dee v Dalbeattie Star

Broomhill v Cumbernauld Colts

Bo'ness Utd v Darvel ***

Turriff Utd v Sauchie

Golspie Sutherland v Forres Mechanics

Culter v Deveronvale

Tayport v Buckie Thistle

Camelon v Civil Service Strollers ***

Brechin City v Rothes

East Stirlingshire v Huntly

Penicuik Athletic v Pollok ***

Musselburgh Athletic v Gretna 2008 ***

East Kilbride v Whitehill Welfare ***

University of Stirling v Albion Rovers

Keith v Luncarty

Broxburn Athletic v Nairn County ***

Dundonald Bluebell v Kilwinning Rangers

Brora Rangers v Berwick Rangers

Tranent v Hutchison Vale ***

St Andrews Utd v Auchinleck Talbot

*** A number of interesting ties for local sides

The Mighty Thor
37 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Scottish Cup first round draw (made by Craig Gordon)

Cowdenbeath v Linlithgow Rose ***

Clachnacuddin v Inverurie Locos

Dalkeith Thistle v Clydebank ***

Formartine Utd v Threave Rovers

Dunipace v Cumnock

Gala Fairydean Rovers v Strathspey Thistle

Wick Academy v Jeanfield Swifts

Lossiemouth v Beith 

Edinburgh University v Dunbar Utd ***

Caledonian Braves v Fraserburgh

Banks o' Dee v Dalbeattie Star

Broomhill v Cumbernauld Colts

Bo'ness Utd v Darvel ***

Turriff Utd v Sauchie

Golspie Sutherland v Forres Mechanics

Culter v Deveronvale

Tayport v Buckie Thistle

Camelon v Civil Service Strollers ***

Brechin City v Rothes

East Stirlingshire v Huntly

Penicuik Athletic v Pollok ***

Musselburgh Athletic v Gretna 2008 ***

East Kilbride v Whitehill Welfare ***

University of Stirling v Albion Rovers

Keith v Luncarty

Broxburn Athletic v Nairn County ***

Dundonald Bluebell v Kilwinning Rangers

Brora Rangers v Berwick Rangers

Tranent v Hutchison Vale ***

St Andrews Utd v Auchinleck Talbot

*** A number of interesting ties for local sides

Edinburgh Uni away for Dunbar

They've started poorly in the Lowland so that's about as good a draw as we could get 👍

• 3 weeks later...

It was Scottish Cup 1st Round today.  I went to Penicuik and saw Pollok hammer them 6-0, with ex Hearts Fraser Mullen scoring a cracking free kick for the opener.

A few "giant killing" exploits today (lower ranked sides winning), although some were not unexpected: Edinburgh Uni 2-3 Dunbar, St Andrews 1-0 Auchinleck, Wick 1-3 Jeanfield, Lossiemouth 0-4 Beith, Keith 2-5 Luncarty

Other notable scores:

Bo'ness 3-0 Darvel

Cowdenbeath 2-1  Linlithgow (ET in progress)

Brora 5-1 Berwick

East Kilbride 8-0 Whitehill Welfare

Gala FR 8-2 Strathspey Thistle (from 0-2 down)

Musselburgh 1-1 Gretna (ET being played)

Edited by Footballfirst

I missed Broxburn 2-1 Nairn as "giant killing".

The games that went to ET finished Cowdenbeath 2-1 Linlithgow and Musselburgh 1-1 Gretna (Mussy won 4-3 on pens).

The Mighty Thor

Just back from Peffermill where Dunbar United beat Lowland League Edinburgh Uni 3-2

Decent result for us and delighted to be into Rd 2

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Some interesting results in the Scottish Cup.

Good for the teams going forward. Be some good ties next round.

The 2nd round draw is at 5pm tomorrow and will include the League 2 sides.

18 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The 2nd round draw is at 5pm tomorrow and will include the League 2 sides.

is the draw live on You tube or somewhere ?