***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

scott herbertson
7 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I think the situation with halliday shows just how far we have progressed. many folk were happy to see him in the team - not spectacular but scored goals and was part of a winning team. now though - not good enough to displace Beni / Woodburn / Devlin

ATM we probably need him as back up (with haring) for Beni and Devlin as they are bound to pick up injuries and bookings, but I would agree

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Paterson has looked a bit cumbersome when I’ve seen him recently compared to when he played for us imo 

not sure if he’ll get up and down the line at wing back like he did for us

8 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I think the situation with halliday shows just how far we have progressed. many folk were happy to see him in the team - not spectacular but scored goals and was part of a winning team. now though - not good enough to displace Beni / Woodburn / Devlin

Absolutely agree. Halliday is a good player at SPL level and would be a starter at every other club except us and the arse-cheeks. The fact that he's third or fourth choice for his positions at Hearts says a lot.

I'd love to see CP back with us as a utility player.

3 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

I always thought Paterson's best position was attacking RB.  In fact call me drunk but at one stage he looked to have the potential to turn in to a Gareth Bale with his charges forward and good contribution of goals.  The Paterson I have seen lately seems to get deployed as a striker and I don't think he's effective in this position.  If he could get back that form he had with us a few years ago then him on right with McKay or any of the other wingers would be explosive.  

I said the same thing about Gareth Bale and, rightly??, took pelters for it. Think he has really suffered from not tying down a position but I really think his ideal is as an attacking wing back 

kingantti1874

Calum Paterson is a physical monster.. teams up here wouldn’t be able to deal with him.. 

would love to bring him home if we could

21 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, that's the eh.. Bhoy! 

Definitely someone I would be interested in bringing to Hearts. Think he's currently injured but I'd put him in a similar sort of bracket as Woodburn in terms of ability and potential. Woodburn might be a little better but I haven't seen Johnston play in a while. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Definitely someone I would be interested in bringing to Hearts. Think he's currently injured but I'd put him in a similar sort of bracket as Woodburn in terms of ability and potential. Woodburn might be a little better but I haven't seen Johnston play in a while. 

Nobody has seen him play much because he’s constantly injured, more likely to end up at Hibs. Good player but we need guys who are fit. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nobody has seen him play much because he’s constantly injured, more likely to end up at Hibs. Good player but we need guys who are fit. 

The next Scott Allan? 

Like I say, haven't seen a lot of him, didn't follow Celtic or the wider Premiership much while we were down, so don't know. Certainly hated it when he played against us previously, which is always a sign of a good player! 

Edited by Batistuta87

Pasquale for King
Just now, Batistuta87 said:

The next Scott Allan? 

Like I say, haven't seen a lot of him, didn't follow Celtic or the wider Premiership much while we were down, so don't know. 

I don’t really follow them either but he will be lucky if he’s played 50 games for them. 

39 games in 4 years, under contract until 23-24. 

Allan has other issues that have hampered him I think, not injuries. 
He also played well for Hibs, got them the cash to buy McGinn too, so unfortunately has done quite well for them all in all I suppose. 

12 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Calum Paterson is a physical monster.. teams up here wouldn’t be able to deal with him.. 

would love to bring him home if we could

Me too. I'm sure he'll come back at some point. Whether that's at the end of this contract or his next one though, who knows. 

If he does come back, I would plonk him right up front as a centre forward though. Just let him focus on putting the ball in the net and not to worry about tracking back and bombing up and down the wing. He's a big lump of a laddie at 6'3 or something, and built like a brick shithouse, so he doesn't really have the pace to be a RWB, will tire easily, and would probably contribute more from inside the box than out. 

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Paterson has looked a bit cumbersome when I’ve seen him recently compared to when he played for us imo 

not sure if he’ll get up and down the line at wing back like he did for us

Spot on, he looks a lot bulkier these days and still can’t defend. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Me too. I'm sure he'll come back at some point. Whether that's at the end of this contract or his next one though, who knows. 

If he does come back, I would plonk him right up front as a centre forward though. Just let him focus on putting the ball in the net and not to worry about tracking back and bombing up and down the wing. He's a big lump of a laddie at 6'3 or something, and built like a brick shithouse, so he doesn't really have the pace to be a RWB, will tire easily, and would probably contribute more from inside the box than out. 

Definitely. Forget he’s still only 27, might be few years yet whilst earning good money before he comes back. 

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Definitely. Forget he’s still only 27, might be few years yet whilst earning good money before he comes back. 

Yeah. He's out of contract at the end of this season so we could be in with a shout then depending on the sort of season he has and what sort of offers are on the table at the end of it. But then he might sign another 1-2yr deal, meaning he'd be 30 by the time we're in with a shout.

Edited by Batistuta87

48 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I said the same thing about Gareth Bale and, rightly??, took pelters for it. Think he has really suffered from not tying down a position but I really think his ideal is as an attacking wing back 

I thought more Kyle Walker than Gareth Bale. He's not on the same planet as Bale to be fair.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah. He's out of contract at the end of this season so we could be in with a shout then depending on the sort of season he has and what sort of offers are on the table at the end of it. But then he might sign another 1-2yr deal, meaning he'd be 30 by the time we're in with a shout.

Probably more likely to stay down there and get a deal we can’t compete with, you never know though. 

3 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

And a poor defender!

3 hours ago, Rudolf said:

I thought more Kyle Walker than Gareth Bale. He's not on the same planet as Bale to be fair.

Or Kyle Walker, to be fair.

Honestly would be throwing everything and the kitchen sink at getting Paterson back, would be a huge statement of intent. 

RWB, RW, ST, what can't he do :D 

Obviously might be a difficult sell/ hail mary to get him to come back, but league 1 isn't that high level and if Hearts are building something and can offer reasonable wages he may be open to coming back. 

Would love to get Paterson back.

I think we're about 2/3 January signings shy of maintaining a title challenge all the way to May and he'd probably be a one man answer to that.

6 hours ago, martoon said:

Would love to get Paterson back.

I think we're about 2/3 January signings shy of maintaining a title challenge all the way to May and he'd probably be a one man answer to that.

Watched Paterson play today against Cambridge Utd. Loved him when he was here. He was anonymous today. Barely noticed him on the park. Got booked not sure what for really possibly dissent. Then got subbed off in second half. Played nothing like whe he was here. Looks like he has either been hitting the gym hard or possibly the chip shop😉. Also looks like a younger version of Michael Smith now. Grey hair galore!  Mibbee just an off day for himm. We all have them at times😂

6 hours ago, Canscot said:

Watched Paterson play today against Cambridge Utd. Loved him when he was here. He was anonymous today. Barely noticed him on the park. Got booked not sure what for really possibly dissent. Then got subbed off in second half. Played nothing like whe he was here. Looks like he has either been hitting the gym hard or possibly the chip shop😉. Also looks like a younger version of Michael Smith now. Grey hair galore!  Mibbee just an off day for himm. We all have them at times😂

Tbf, I haven't seen much of CP since he left but he did appear to be doing well down south for the most part. Certainly at Cardiff.

He's maybe lost his way a little in the last year but I suppose that's why bringing him back seems more likely than it did pre Covid.

Still believe he'd be well worth signing in January.

Even on loan.

Bazzas right boot
On 18/10/2021 at 15:51, Batistuta87 said:

Mikey Johnstone? 

Seen he was back playing again for them, so probably rules him out. 

Loved C-Patz but if he was to come back where would we play him? Is he any better than what we have in that position? Would he cope with our never ending running? 
As a defender hes distictly average at best. 

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Loved C-Patz but if he was to come back where would we play him? Is he any better than what we have in that position? Would he cope with our never ending running? 
As a defender hes distictly average at best. 

could play in any number of positions.. the one thing we don’t have is a huge amount of physicality.  He can draw 2 or 3 players in in games where it’s tight, and give us a huge threat from set plays.. I think he’d compliment what we have perfectly.. 

9 hours ago, Canscot said:

Yeah did really well - relatively - in his season in epl but kind of lost his way since then. Lost his mojo a little?? And thats a guy who's aaallll mojo!!!

I'd love him back but id hope there'd be good chat with him, Joe n Robbie with a plan.

Dr Funk, you are our rwb, of course we'll occasionally fling you up front when we need it but youre our rwb and heres what we need from you.... X amount of yards per game, the discipline to play in our system etc, so lets get your conditioning spot on and heres yer homework.

But most of all, we're bringing you in cos you're a winner. Go get battered in son!!

His drive, crossing ability and his knack plus skill at first time finishing would be a huge addition for us. How many left backs would like a back post cross and Paterson to deal with?! Imagine Doig!!!!  Rwb with Soapy inside him keeping him right defensively. Sounds amazing.

Smithy doing well just now mind you, but Cpatz back you cant turn down.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

could play in any number of positions.. the one thing we don’t have is a huge amount of physicality.  He can draw 2 or 3 players in in games where it’s tight, and give us a huge threat from set plays.. I think he’d compliment what we have perfectly.. 

I would see him up front as a striker if he came back to us. Technically he was limited so could be a liability in defensive positions but his strength and ability in the air would be an asset, that's if he still has the attitude and hunger of his early days that is.

Another striker required in Jan IMHO. Shankland not scored yet, team bottom of the league and looking doomed already. Loan in Jan as he will be 'unsettled' by then. Aware he was not prolific last season but look at the supply he would get with us. Just saying...

1 hour ago, John Rambo said:

Another striker required in Jan IMHO. Shankland not scored yet, team bottom of the league and looking doomed already. Loan in Jan as he will be 'unsettled' by then. Aware he was not prolific last season but look at the supply he would get with us. Just saying...

Not for me. He's not quick enough to play in our system. 

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Wouldn't take Paterson back tbh. 

successor to Smith? Neilson was the one who moulded him into that position so for me, worth considering at this stage in his career. As a bomb forward RWB though. Not a CF. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

11 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

successor to Smith? Neilson was the one who moulded him into that position so for me, worth considering at this stage in his career. As a bomb forward RWB though. Not a CF. 

Nah, i think it would be shades of Jamie Walker re-signing. I think we got the best out of him before his injury, since then he's been moved about so much that he hasn't been able to master any position. 

A_A wehatethehibs
3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah did really well - relatively - in his season in epl but kind of lost his way since then. Lost his mojo a little?? And thats a guy who's aaallll mojo!!!

I'd love him back but id hope there'd be good chat with him, Joe n Robbie with a plan.

Dr Funk, you are our rwb, of course we'll occasionally fling you up front when we need it but youre our rwb and heres what we need from you.... X amount of yards per game, the discipline to play in our system etc, so lets get your conditioning spot on and heres yer homework.

But most of all, we're bringing you in cos you're a winner. Go get battered in son!!

His drive, crossing ability and his knack plus skill at first time finishing would be a huge addition for us. How many left backs would like a back post cross and Paterson to deal with?! Imagine Doig!!!!  Rwb with Soapy inside him keeping him right defensively. Sounds amazing.

Smithy doing well just now mind you, but Cpatz back you cant turn down.

RB / RWB would be a route back to the international squads for him as well because at this time, Scotland still do not have a RWB that plays games for a club. Hearts / Neilson, is probably the only opportunity in his career where that route would be open to him if he came up here and chucked the kitchen sink at it. 

11 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Dont think he's got the pace or stamina to play there now mate. He's not a skinny 19yo any more, he's a well built 28yo with a bit of a dodgy knee, who IMO would struggle to bomb up and down the wing for 90mins. 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Dont think he's got the pace or stamina to play there now mate. He's not a skinny 19yo any more, he's a well built 28yo with a bit of a dodgy knee, who IMO would struggle to bomb up and down the wing for 90mins. 

18 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Nah, i think it would be shades of Jamie Walker re-signing. I think we got the best out of him before his injury, since then he's been moved about so much that he hasn't been able to master any position. 

He's 27 and been playing & training at an elite level fitness level, up until this 1 season where he's dropped to league 1 and now looks supposedly off colour and low on confidence. I would think he would be about as good a signing we could hope to make in terms of natural talent and looking at his injury history, he doesn't seem to have had many since he left us. The prospect of playing at Tynecastle again and focusing on the challenge of getting back in a Scotland squad, think it would light a fire under him.

No doubt it would be a bit of a project to get him back adapted to RB, but with the fact that its the same manager Neilson, and Hearts needing a long term successor to Smith... it just seems like a door that's open to him, that, probably will never be open again in his career. Suppose it would all depend on his relationship with Robbie and what he wants next from his career. Might be quite happy on his 6-7k a week, a good wedge more than he'd get here, as a journeyman for a few more years. From our point of view I would just think, no brainer. I would liken it more to Christophe Berra returning than Jamie Walker. Halfway between the 2 IMO. 

On 19/10/2021 at 12:34, EH11 2NL said:

Agree attacking ring back is his best position, he was brilliant there for Hearts. Up and down the line all day, Paterson would take us to the next level imo. 

Not a chance he would take us up a level. I follow Wednesday and the odd good strike aside, he has been a poor signing.

Poor in possession and regularly seems off the pace.

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He's 27 and been playing & training at an elite level fitness level, up until this 1 season where he's dropped to league 1 and now looks supposedly off colour and low on confidence. I would think he would be about as good a signing we could hope to make in terms of natural talent and looking at his injury history, he doesn't seem to have had many since he left us. The prospect of playing at Tynecastle again and focusing on the challenge of getting back in a Scotland squad, think it would light a fire under him.

No doubt it would be a bit of a project to get him back adapted to RB, but with the fact that its the same manager Neilson, and Hearts needing a long term successor to Smith... it just seems like a door that's open to him, that, probably will never be open again in his career. Suppose it would all depend on his relationship with Robbie and what he wants next from his career. Might be quite happy on his 6-7k a week, a good wedge more than he'd get here, as a journeyman for a few more years. From our point of view I would just think, no brainer. I would liken it more to Christophe Berra returning than Jamie Walker. Halfway between the 2 IMO. 

Not for me. Scotland needed a RB for years and Paterson was overlooked, eventually for Stephen O'Donnell, despite playing at a higher level the reason why? Because he can't defend for shit. Warnock said it himself. He has played the majority of games since leaving us as a second striker or Centerforward and managed to forge a career there. He's a targetman either wide or central, his attributes are all physical and not technical, most of the time he spends games running about like a headless chicken. I think that ship has sailed long ago and certainly isn't worth 6 or 7k a week. Personally I think he's a workhorse but a horrendous footballer that suits teams that play hoofball. We can do better. 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Not for me. Scotland needed a RB for years and Paterson was overlooked, eventually for Stephen O'Donnell, despite playing at a higher level the reason why? Because he can't defend for shit. Warnock said it himself. He has played the majority of games since leaving us as a second striker or Centerforward and managed to forge a career there. He's a targetman either wide or central, his attributes are all physical and not technical, most of the time he spends games running about like a headless chicken. I think that ship has sailed long ago and certainly isn't worth 6 or 7k a week. Personally I think he's a workhorse but a horrendous footballer that suits teams that play hoofball. We can do better. 

He was overlooked because he was not playing there that position though. And for me his development totally stalled. I put it down to playing under a succession of pish managers (including Warnock, who in reality is a pish manager who's had a few purple patches) then making a bad transfer to a basket case club / shite squad. Think you are totally understating the natural ability we know he has an abundance of. You talk like someone that never even saw him play 1 Hearts game there "workhorse" "horrendous footballer" "headless chicken" these are not terms that have ever been said about Calum Paterson looking back at his 150 games in our team. 

As I say it would be a bit of a project to get him back to his best there, but he played 100+ games there for us and he was quality enough to win himself a big move to a big championship club. I just see the types of players Scottish clubs are typically signing, a 27 year old Calum Paterson with that amount of experience, the players he's played with and against, the elite experience under his belt, he would have every chance of restarting the engine in his career.

That hoofball journeyman player, I can agree that you're right, that is what he's allowed himself to be turned into by managers. But I believe he has enough talent to change that script and as I say, Hearts at this stage in his career, is the only opportunity and the only reason I see it that way is because it's the same manager Neilson. Other than that, he's got 3-4 years as a hoofball journeyman then that's the career. 

20 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I accept the can't defend argument but think that applies to him at full back .

Long time ago I thought he would end up playing centre half

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Fair, but I think he'd be effective in a different way. 

Paterson, although imo not as good a player as Smith in general he excels in areas, aerial ability and goal threat. 

He's just a bit different to the types we have atm but he would still be very effective in the league. 

Like you, unsure if he fits in with our more technical, clever faster style we seem to be going down atm. 

I still  think compared to other teams we are a tad short and lacking in the air. 

It might bite us n the arse, especially in this league. 

Bazzas right boot
32 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Also fair if a tad harsh. 

I think he is the tote of player you say but his physical attributes at our level are brilliant, well above average and this makes him an effective footballer if not the most technically gifted. 

He'd 100% give us something different and options but as you also point out probably not worth top wages, which he'd probably want. 

Also, although I agree he's technically very average, his first time shooting and his heading are great! 

The Bannon Flick
On 19/10/2021 at 08:46, TexasAndy said:

I always thought Paterson's best position was attacking RB.  In fact call me drunk but at one stage he looked to have the potential to turn in to a Gareth Bale with his charges forward and good contribution of goals.  The Paterson I have seen lately seems to get deployed as a striker and I don't think he's effective in this position.  If he could get back that form he had with us a few years ago then him on right with McKay or any of the other wingers would be explosive.  

Agreed - his best performances for us were attacking down the right 💪

He's had some time at the top of the Championship and EPL salaries, hopefully he trousered some of that. He certainly doesn't look like he's enjoying being down in the dreary bits of League 1. I wouldn't be shocked if he were ready for a restart and accepted a lower wage. And are we really paying lower wages than League 1?

I wanted us to play him at RWB with a back three  when he here because it would put fewer defensive responsibilities on him, and now we're playing that system. He's not the greatest defender but he was always diligent in tracking back to cover.

I still love Michael Smith but he's never been the best at crosses and he seems to have gone downhill on that. His partnership with McKay, and not having a big target man when Boyce is in, are making that less relevant, but Paterson was pretty handy with his early balls in from the high wing.

If he wanted a prince's ransom when he came back, no chance.  The internet seems to think he was on £20k/week at Cardiff and that contract transferred to Wednesday which is obviously far beyond what we can or should pay him. But if he could get a buyout in his contract and took a wage cut to £3-4k/week or some such, I think he'd be a magical addition to this squad. He'd have the fans on side almost immediately and probably would feel a little pressure off his shoulders.

Sorry to dig this up again but today is exactly the kind of game where Paterson would have made an enormous difference.

Gordon Ramsay

Missed a trick by not bringing in another forward. 

Our midfield don't seem to contribute anything in terms of goalscoring. 

24 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Missed a trick by not bringing in another forward. 

Our midfield don't seem to contribute anything in terms of goalscoring. 

Callum Patterson?

McKay was our best player today.

Should  not have been subbed until very late on, if at all.

Trying to keep Ginnelly interested.

McKay> Ginelly by dar