***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

I remember Craig Brewster turning us down to sign for Dundee Utd when he was at Raith Rovers, he would have been an excellent signing at that time (1993)

Andy Rhodes rejected us when JJ was  manager, he then went out and signed Gilles Rousett , some things work out for the best 

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

12 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

Was listening to Sportsound on Saturday and Willie Miller was scathing of David Bates naivety in his defending. He clearly is struggling at Aberdeen.

The Hibs fans are describing the guy Scott from Hull as a waste of a jersey. These were just two of the players the club for slated for missing out on in this thread.

I do think we were separate for signings and it was understandable given the standard of football last season but given the success of the signings this year the club have earned the right to be given fans patience in the next couple of windows.

Also note Chris Meuller who was hailed as a big loss and fantatic signing for Hibs has just 2 goals in 25 game’s in the MLS this season and rarely gets 90mins.

No player allowed to leave has set the heather alight at their new clubs either.

Cochrane in on loan, Barrie McKay for free and Beni and Devlin signed for such small fees are looking as good value as we’ve seen for a very long time.

Other than scrolling through this thread, what other players were we linked with and felt a miss at the time??

Bates has been utter pish for Aberdeen so far. Was disappointed we never signed him, but then things might have been different if he'd came here because the whole Aberdeen team looks pish just now. Especially I have to say a certain ex-Celtic captain, which is incredibly pleasing to see. 

I was pretty disappointed when we didn't sign Alan Campbell too, but I think Beni and Devlin are both far superior and I definitely wouldn't swap him for either of them. 

There's been a good number of others too, but I think Robbie and Joe have got it absolutely bang on and have done some fantastic business. 

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Bates has been utter pish for Aberdeen so far. Was disappointed we never signed him, but then things might have been different if he'd came here because the whole Aberdeen team looks pish just now. Especially I have to say a certain ex-Celtic captain, which is incredibly pleasing to see. 

I was pretty disappointed when we didn't sign Alan Campbell too, but I think Beni and Devlin are both far superior and I definitely wouldn't swap him for either of them. 

There's been a good number of others too, but I think Robbie and Joe have got it absolutely bang on and have done some fantastic business. 

Couldn't agree more. Was the best transfer window in a long time. Was disappointed we didn't land a few players we were in for. Findlay and Campbell the main 2 at the time.

7 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I was disappointed when we didn't sign Lee McCulloch when he was at Motherwell. I may be wrong but I recall the £1 million price tag put us off. 

Were we not also linked with a midfielder at Motherwell called Jed Brannan? 

Always rated him and the fecker scored against us too. 

You're right.  It was a million for McCulloch and it was nearly a deal.  The one that really disappointed me was the saga of a signing attempt to get Tomas Brolin.  I dare say it wouldn't have been worth it in the end though.

Fxxx the SPFL
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You're right.  It was a million for McCulloch and it was nearly a deal.  The one that really disappointed me was the saga of a signing attempt to get Tomas Brolin.  I dare say it wouldn't have been worth it in the end though.

but what about Adebayor :whistling:

22 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

The consensus seemed to be that people preferred Bates to Moore, which was strange to me as Moore at least has a lot of appearances in the Championship, while Bates didn't get on the pitch in his time at Sheffield Wednesday.

I think Bates has just had a very lucky career so far tbh. Makes a handful of appearances for Rangers, gets a weird move to a struggling big club, quickly gets found out, but still earns a handful of Scotland caps (including a 3-0 defeat to Kazakhstan) and a loan to an English Championship club (0 appearances).

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

The consensus seemed to be that people preferred Bates to Moore, which was strange to me as Moore at least has a lot of appearances in the Championship, while Bates didn't get on the pitch in his time at Sheffield Wednesday.

I think Bates has just had a very lucky career so far tbh. Makes a handful of appearances for Rangers, gets a weird move to a struggling big club, quickly gets found out, but still earns a handful of Scotland caps (including a 3-0 defeat to Kazakhstan) and a loan to an English Championship club (0 appearances).

Seems to be that everytime Aberdeen and Hearts are linked with a player, the loser is really a winner. 

Sammon 

Bryson 

Main

Now Bates. 

1 minute ago, Rods said:

I would hope the club are looking at Zak Rudden of Partick.

Maybe ship out Walker and Halliday as part of the deal.

Watching him against Hamilton, very impressive , definitely worth keeping an eye on

18 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Correct ... he knocked us back and then Hearts went in for Tommy Johnston then of Celtic and he knocked us back as well.  

55 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Seems to be that everytime Aberdeen and Hearts are linked with a player, the loser is really a winner. 

Sammon 

Bryson 

Main

Now Bates. 

Sammon is another one who made a career out of a wee purple patch.

Since he was mentioned earlier in this thread, how do folk think Callum Paterson would (have) fit into this current team? If noting else, he'd offer cover for the two positions folk seem to think we need more depth (right back and striker).

1 minute ago, number-16 said:

Since he was mentioned earlier in this thread, how do folk think Callum Paterson would (have) fit into this current team? If noting else, he'd offer cover for the two positions folk seem to think we need more depth (right back and striker).

Perfect at RWB

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Sammon 

Bryson 

Main

Now Bates. 

Can add Gallagher to that list as well. A long with the winger they got from St Johnstone.

Another one that looks garbage that we were supposed to be interested in....... James Scott. Couple of Hibs fans I know say he's been terrible so far. 

And another, Shankland has failed to score since moving to Belgium and his team sit bottom of the table.

think this place was mixed as to whether he was worth splashing the cash to get. £1m they paid and no sign Dundee Utd are missing him

26 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

Another one that looks garbage that we were supposed to be interested in....... James Scott. Couple of Hibs fans I know say he's been terrible so far. 

Another young Scottish laddie suckered into a move he shouldn’t have made. Motherwell would have continued his development instead he’s stalled badly. 

5 minutes ago, OTT said:

Another young Scottish laddie suckered into a move he shouldn’t have made. Motherwell would have continued his development instead he’s stalled badly. 

Campbell looks like he’s only started 5 games so far. Seemed a strange move I hope he doesn’t go the same way

The Bannon Flick
54 minutes ago, number-16 said:

Don't think it will happen right enough but I'd absolutely love this

How good does Paterson and McKay linking up down the right hand side sound - or Paterson and Boyce as a front two for that matter !

Edited by The Bannon Flick

47 minutes ago, number-16 said:

The way we play depends on all players being able to take the ball in tight areas and not give it away. CP has pace, will run the channels all day long with or without the ball and win most arial challenges but he is/never was good on the ball in tight areas, which is why he now never plays in the areas where this is important i.e. defending and middle thirds for teams who want to play out.

Bazzas right boot

What's the young Celtic's lads name. 

Played a few times last season and a handful of Ga. Es the season before 

Attacking mid iirc. 

Seemed fast, technically good and direct 

Is he injured or is his bum pot the windae. 

I'd like us to enquire about him. 

Zak Rudden got a brace this weekend.  Said it before,he's worth a look.

14 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

What's the young Celtic's lads name. 

Played a few times last season and a handful of Ga. Es the season before 

Attacking mid iirc. 

Seemed fast, technically good and direct 

Is he injured or is his bum pot the windae. 

I'd like us to enquire about him. 

Mikey Johnstone? 

2 hours ago, Leisham38 said:

And another, Shankland has failed to score since moving to Belgium and his team sit bottom of the table.

think this place was mixed as to whether he was worth splashing the cash to get. £1m they paid and no sign Dundee Utd are missing him

Utd saw them coming a mile away. Scottish championship player at best.

3 hours ago, Rods said:

Oh

If only it was that easy 

3 hours ago, Rods said:

Not Halliday. He’s good back up 

4 hours ago, Victorian said:

Motherwell knocked back £950000 .

Few weeks later we failed to sign someone else (?) because we couldn't afford a £30000 signing on fee 

Robinson school of economics 

2 hours ago, OTT said:

My own personal rule of thumb for Hibs transfers is that unless you're already a good/established player then; 9 times out of 10 Hibs is where developing talent goes to die - it's truly a shame for some of these players.

2 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Zak Rudden got a brace this weekend.  Said it before,he's worth a look.

I've been banging on about the lad since end of last season. The lad is raw but hungry for goals. 

44 minutes ago, Halliphax said:

My own personal rule of thumb for Hibs transfers is that unless you're already a good/established player then; 9 times out of 10 Hibs is where developing talent goes to die - it's truly a shame for some of these players.

Based on what?  Hibs have brought through some good players over the years. 

1 minute ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Just mentioned on the news there that a livi reserve goalie has cancer. Could that mean they recall Stewart and if so can we sign another keeper?

We signed Stewart on a one year deal. It was last season he was just a loan. 

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Just mentioned on the news there that a livi reserve goalie has cancer. Could that mean they recall Stewart and if so can we sign another keeper?

Not nice, brutal for a young lad. 

But, nah, Stewart is our player. 

On 14/09/2021 at 12:39, Batistuta87 said:

Kieran Westwood or Ben Alnwick maybe? Both free agents, both over 30, Westwood has a possible connection to Savage being Irish and Alnwick has been a bit of a journeyman around the lower leagues down south his whole career having started out at Man City and been loaned out several times. 

Westwood was on over £20k a week at Hillsborough. Very good keeper on his day but he also had a lot of injuries. I doubt he would sign for a club as a backup either to be honest.

On 27/08/2021 at 14:39, SM Sheffield said:

Paying a fee for Bates would be absolutely crazy, I am very pleased we aren’t in the running and instead he is weakening the Sheep up the road. I wouldn’t even want him on a free transfer given what he has done so far and recently in his career. We have better players already in the squad.

Moore is younger and has much more experience playing at a decent level recently. Bates was so bad locally at Hillsborough he played one game in the League Cup at Wednesday and then was frozen out of the squad completely for the rest of his loan spell. We’ve made the right choice and once again I’m very pleased with the recruitment by the club.

I’ve been proven right Bates is terrible. A 3 year contract the Sheep have signed him on too 🤯

Guest ToqueJambo
7 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Couldn't agree more. Was the best transfer window in a long time. Was disappointed we didn't land a few players we were in for. Findlay and Campbell the main 2 at the time.

Stuart Findlay? He's barely featured in the MLS. I think we're probably still keeping tabs on him and could bring him in on loan or on a permanent if things don't change for him over there, especially if Souttar doesn't sign an extension.

1 hour ago, 5-1Jambo said:

I've been banging on about the lad since end of last season. The lad is raw but hungry for goals. 

I would like us to be in for him too. After not going for Shankland or Nisbet, it would be nice to sign a hungry young striker. I suspect we're fast approaching that point where he becomes outside our reach, so a move in January would be as good a time as we're likely to get. 

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Stuart Findlay? He's barely featured in the MLS. I think we're probably still keeping tabs on him and could bring him in on loan or on a permanent if things don't change for him over there, especially if Souttar doesn't sign an extension.

Yeah that’s him. What do you reckon the chances of keeping Moore are. He’s looked a class act to me. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, GinRummy said:

Yeah that’s him. What do you reckon the chances of keeping Moore are. He’s looked a class act to me. 

Would be happy to keep Moore if we can but if Souttar leaves we would still need to sign another CB.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Would be happy to keep Moore if we can but if Souttar leaves we would still need to sign another CB.

Agreed. Maybe Findlay could still come in at some point. From what you said it doesn’t seem like he’s settled over there. 

5 hours ago, number-16 said:

I was just thinking I would ****ing love to have Dr. Funk back in the team. He could play three positions, but having him available for either RWB or striker would be outstanding. Put him in at wingback, then if we shift to a back 4, push him up front in front of the goal. Or play him as a false 9.

Just having his attitude and goal celebrations back in the squad would be amazing. I feel like he'd really fit in with our current squad.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, number-16 said:

If it's a possibility we should do whatever it takes to bring him back on loan or a 3 year contract for the reasons you give and his personality. He still seems to be starting up front for SW though.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Arthur Morgan

Would definitely like us to go for Rudden, and if Souttar doesn't sign a new deal, we should push the boat out to keep Moore as tbh I'm not sure if Souttar is better than him. 

17 hours ago, The Bannon Flick said:

Don't think it will happen right enough but I'd absolutely love this

How good does Paterson and McKay linking up down the right hand side sound - or Paterson and Boyce as a front two for that matter !

I always thought Paterson's best position was attacking RB.  In fact call me drunk but at one stage he looked to have the potential to turn in to a Gareth Bale with his charges forward and good contribution of goals.  The Paterson I have seen lately seems to get deployed as a striker and I don't think he's effective in this position.  If he could get back that form he had with us a few years ago then him on right with McKay or any of the other wingers would be explosive.  

6 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I always thought Paterson's best position was attacking RB.  In fact call me drunk but at one stage he looked to have the potential to turn in to a Gareth Bale with his charges forward and good contribution of goals.  The Paterson I have seen lately seems to get deployed as a striker and I don't think he's effective in this position.  If he could get back that form he had with us a few years ago then him on right with McKay or any of the other wingers would be explosive.  

Patterson is a battering ram. Kind of player that is effective anywhere you play him due to his physical advantage 

Absolute Scenes
7 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Would definitely like us to go for Rudden, and if Souttar doesn't sign a new deal, we should push the boat out to keep Moore as tbh I'm not sure if Souttar is better than him. 

Agree regarding this. Not sure if i'm being a little brat but Souttar is effing me off with his stuttering around this contract. Either take it or not. Moore, for me, would be a good like for like replacement. thought it was harsh he was dropped as he was solid those games he played in. Souttar played like he wasnt quite there on Saturday, so the contract stuff is obviously affecting things, which is why he shouldnt have played. 

7 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Patterson is a battering ram. Kind of player that is effective anywhere you play him due to his physical advantage 

Wonder if a loan deal in January would be on the cards, if he isnt being played much at the moment. Would be some back line with Cochrane, Moore/Souttar/Halkett, Kinglsey and Patterson/Smith

17 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Not Halliday. He’s good back up 

He'll be one of our top earners being ex Hun and he's nowhere near a starting spot, we can do better

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

He'll be one of our top earners being ex Hun and he's nowhere near a starting spot, we can do better

I think the situation with halliday shows just how far we have progressed. many folk were happy to see him in the team - not spectacular but scored goals and was part of a winning team. now though - not good enough to displace Beni / Woodburn / Devlin

3 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Agree attacking ring back is his best position, he was brilliant there for Hearts. Up and down the line all day, Paterson would take us to the next level imo.