***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

Jack Torrance
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I would think (and hope) that’s to be the case. No room for error in this division. It was clearly evident he persisted with certain players to the detriment of the team and those not playing last season though. Would like to think there’s no room for sentiment or stubbornness in selection this season.

Yeah, I think that was partly down to hands being tied in relation to funds for replacements and an established approach to recruitment, and partly the culture from the top in giving people more leeway than is normal in football. 

I'm still on the fence about Robbie, given some of the disastrous embarrassing results recently, but I recognise the Club's position so I'm happy to eat humble pie if Robbie smashes it this season.

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I am neutral re McKay. But that’s ok as it seems low risk and it may just be he is the sort of player that just thrives in Scotland. No shame in that.

Gimme an H...
3 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I thought I'd wait for the Barrie McKay stour to settle before saying that I am not impressed with his signing.

I have, on the other hand, been super-impressed with all the other signings because they appear to have been done with a lot of analysis/diligence to make sure they were an upgrade and fitted with how RN wants to play.

McKay's signing seems to be the only one that is based on the heart rather than the head: nostalgia for the impact he made at Rangers rather than the less than impressive record since leaving the Huns. He does appear to fit the shape we want to play but my guess is that he'll be a dud that gets too many chances above other better players.

Robbie Neilson spent years trying to sign Barrie McKay as Hearts manager reveals why deal could not be done previously | Edinburgh News (scotsman.com)

Edited by Gimme an H...

24 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I am neutral re McKay. But that’s ok as it seems low risk and it may just be he is the sort of player that just thrives in Scotland. No shame in that.

Pace , skill , good passer , can score .

Only possible downside I can see would be attitude . No reason to think he doesn't have the right one

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

McKay played 33 times for Fleetwood in the English 4th tier. Haven't checked but I bet that's more than Walker played in our 2nd tier.

As I said give the guy a chance before rubbishing him. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
28 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

I read that as a player RN has had his eye on for a long time rather than one that has been assessed on form/data. A bit like GMS. That turned out OK. Hopefully it’ll be the same with BMc. But, as I say, his recent form is not great. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

As I said give the guy a chance before rubbishing him. 

Based on his recent form, all I said was that my guess is he’ll be a dud. Guess being the operative word, implying that I could be wrong.

And, I pointed out that Walker’s form over a similar period is better than his.  More than happy to give him a chance.

Also thought it’d be better to steer the chat back on topic and away from that Celtic match. 

3 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

...based on those stats, Walker has a 40% successful impact rating and McKay has 36%

And Walker's not a very good Hearts player any more. We don't know about McKay yet.

1 hour ago, Gimme an H... said:

"Blistering pace" (get the cream at the ready). 

"Hibs tried to sign him." :verysmug:

Has played for two English championship sides and one scottish premiership side.   About to be two Premiership. 

Robbie been after him for several years. 

All our players are fit except two non match fit players being Mckay and Logan. 

Good read.   Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

"Blistering pace" (get the cream at the ready). 

"Hibs tried to sign him." :verysmug:

Has played for two English championship sides and one scottish premiership side.   About to be two Premiership. 

Robbie been after him for several years. 

All our players are fit except two non match fit players being Mckay and Logan. 

Good read.   Thank you. 

Good to see someone being positive about Barrie’s arrival!

AllyjamboDerbyshire

As far as I can see we've made one superb signing this window in Beni, with potentially one or two more of the same quality that we've not seen enough of, or not seen at all, to judge. I don't know any more about Mackay than the videos put up and don't really remember him that well from his time at TRFC, but I'm viewing him in the same light as Jamie Walker when he returned, potentially brilliant with the possibility to disappoint. I'm not aware that Mackay has had serious injury problems, though, and with that in mind he could be the player to consistently excite us all in the way Walker once did. Thing is, I can't remember a previous window when signing someone like Barrie Mackay would not have me presuming we'd signed a real star, and that our whole season would depend on him actually being that star. This time, though, there's no such presumption - I think because that desperation for him to be a star is not there. But, if in the team we can now put out he is a star, then he'll need to be, and so must be, some player.

2 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

As far as I can see we've made one superb signing this window in Beni, with potentially one or two more of the same quality that we've not seen enough of, or not seen at all, to judge. I don't know any more about Mackay than the videos put up and don't really remember him that well from his time at TRFC, but I'm viewing him in the same light as Jamie Walker when he returned, potentially brilliant with the possibility to disappoint. I'm not aware that Mackay has had serious injury problems, though, and with that in mind he could be the player to consistently excite us all in the way Walker once did. Thing is, I can't remember a previous window when signing someone like Barrie Mackay would not have me presuming we'd signed a real star, and that our whole season would depend on him actually being that star. This time, though, there's no such presumption - I think because that desperation for him to be a star is not there. But, if in the team we can now put out he is a star, then he'll need to be, and so must be, some player.

Good post. It feels like we’ve come on leaps and bounds this window. Let’s hope the good results continue. 

I think Barrie is well worth signing. The squad now reads like we have at least two players for every single position with the majority offering genuine competition for each other. Exciting times ahead. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
Just now, GinRummy said:

Good post. It feels like we’ve come on leaps and bounds this window. Let’s hope the good results continue. 

I think Barrie is well worth signing. The squad now reads like we have at least two players for every single position with the majority offering genuine competition for each other. Exciting times ahead. 

I think the CVs of all the players we've signed would suggest that even if they are not as good as Beni, they will definitely improve the team and be too good for most of the teams in the Premiership. If one or two of them prove to be of Beni's standard, and the rest come close to their CVs, then we will surely have an exciting season ahead.

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Armand Gnaduillet

so 2 strikers is enough? I don’t think that’s the clubs view.. They have been pretty Frank about wanting another forward with pace to offer something different

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

so 2 strikers is enough? I don’t think that’s the clubs view.. They have been pretty Frank about wanting another forward with pace to offer something different

It’s certainly not enough long term. Think there are 16 games ‘till next window. Hopefully we don’t get caught out but I’d have liked another one. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s certainly not enough long term. Think there are 16 games ‘till next window. Hopefully we don’t get caught out but I’d have liked another one. 

absolutely.  

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Barring a disaster, might be OK for 3 months tho. 

Don't want any pish signed just for numbers. 

A_A wehatethehibs

What about Mackenzie Kirk

Is there any ITKers or training watchers know anything about him? 

From what I can see, he is actually now the 3rd choice center forward currently at the club. The others are on loan. 

Has anyone watched him? Is he any good? 

11 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

What about Mackenzie Kirk

Is there any ITKers or training watchers know anything about him? 

From what I can see, he is actually now the 3rd choice center forward currently at the club. The others are on loan. 

Has anyone watched him? Is he any good? 

Have not seen him but his name regularly seems to come up on the scoresheet for youth games and bounce games it seems. We’ve had a few hound forwards do that and not make the step up though, so would hope we might get a striker come through at some point.

A_A wehatethehibs
7 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Have not seen him but his name regularly seems to come up on the scoresheet for youth games and bounce games it seems. We’ve had a few hound forwards do that and not make the step up though, so would hope we might get a striker come through at some point.

His Da was a no bad wee striker for us on his day as well! Kirky the 2nd. Hope to see him come through, be good if anyone has watched him and can give us a clue. The fact that 3 other youth players if you include Hendo who play CF havr gone on loan but he stays, makes me wonder if we’ll see a debut for him. Think the fans would like that. 

from shite.net re Barrie Mckay

.  The hearts are trying to get Barrie McKay, free agent. I'd have taken him at us tbh.

.  Would be a decent addition for most top league teams him….

.  Hibs wont sign any of these. When do we ever sign free agents? Very rarely. We will go with what we have til Jan as criminal as it is. I think anyone suggesting other wise is just clutching at straws.

snigger, chuckle

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I think it’s probably about time to close this thread and focus on the non-transfer window. 😎

:muggy:

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

And we signed one in Barrie McKay.

Forward does not mean striker.

Since coming in Robbie has signed more wingers than anything else, It's clear he wants to play a front 3, with only one central striker but with Frear, Roberts, Kastaneer et al he couldn't really implement it. Now with GMS, Ginelly, Woodburn and McKay, he might have the players he needs.

That's 4 guys for two wide or supporting roles and 2 central strikers to fill the one central role.

The versatility of someone like Woodburn, who can apparently play as a striker, gives a degree of flexibility of options. 

Since coming in Robbie has signed more wingers than anything else, It's clear he wants to play a front 3, with only one central striker but with Frear, Roberts, Kastaneer et al he couldn't really implement it. Now with GMS, Ginelly, Woodburn and McKay, he might have the players he needs.

That's 4 guys for two wide or supporting roles and 2 central strikers to fill the one central role.

The versatility of someone like Woodburn, who can apparently play as a striker, gives a degree of flexibility of options. 

4 minutes ago, 160598 said:

from shite.net re Barrie Mckay

.  The hearts are trying to get Barrie McKay, free agent. I'd have taken him at us tbh.

.  Would be a decent addition for most top league teams him….

.  Hibs wont sign any of these. When do we ever sign free agents? Very rarely. We will go with what we have til Jan as criminal as it is. I think anyone suggesting other wise is just clutching at straws.

snigger, chuckle

"Discussing the McKay links, the Hibs head coach told Sky Sports: "We try to ascertain whether or not there are possibilities of us recruiting players.

"There are lots of different dynamics to that: players’ appetite for the challenge, what they want to achieve, financial aspects… there are a lot of players who we do that with before we put an offer in front of them." EEN, 08.09.2021

Saw Jack Ross's comments in the EEN, reading between the lines it looks like there was interest and they concluded that he wasn't up for it and was too dear. Guess playing at the San Giro for two buttons and a caramac didn't float his boat. Either way we hired him, lets see what he shows us...

9 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

"Discussing the McKay links, the Hibs head coach told Sky Sports: "We try to ascertain whether or not there are possibilities of us recruiting players.

"There are lots of different dynamics to that: players’ appetite for the challenge, what they want to achieve, financial aspects… there are a lot of players who we do that with before we put an offer in front of them." EEN, 08.09.2021

Saw Jack Ross's comments in the EEN, reading between the lines it looks like there was interest and they concluded that he wasn't up for it and was too dear. Guess playing at the San Giro for two buttons and a caramac didn't float his boat. Either way we hired him, lets see what he shows us...

That's more or less what they offered Jason Kerr to sign a four year contract. What they offered McCart wasn't much better. 

I am happy about the McKay signing but not for the endless threads come March about how he's shite because he disappeared for a while.

Every scouting report I've read on him says the same thing, that when he's on his game he can be magical but that he can also disappear for long stretches when he can't find the seams.

If he was magical consistently he'd be playing for Liverpool or Spurs so I'm happy if he wins us some games here and there and doesn't mope about a benching when he's off it.

45 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think it’s probably about time to close this thread and focus on the non-transfer window. 😎

Normally I’d agree, but Neilson and Savage both mentioned looking for a 3rd keeper, I expect there will be at least one more free agent.

Just now, Ugly American said:

I am happy about the McKay signing but not for the endless threads come March about how he's shite because he disappeared for a while.

Every scouting report I've read on him says the same thing, that when he's on his game he can be magical but that he can also disappear for long stretches when he can't find the seams.

If he was magical consistently he'd be playing for Liverpool or Spurs so I'm happy if he wins us some games here and there and doesn't mope about a benching when he's off it.

Sounds like nearly every decent winger we’ve ever had. He’ll be loved if he has those moments of magic fairly often. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Woodburn can be used as a Striker

Beat me to it.

It is also odd that for such a dull defensive minded manager that Robbie has signed so many wingers in his 15 months at the club. 

It feeds into my feeling that he knows exactly how he wants us to play but to date we haven’t been able to get the quality in to play it. I think he basics says as much in his interview about McKay.

3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Beat me to it.

It is also odd that for such a dull defensive minded manager that Robbie has signed so many wingers in his 15 months at the club. 

It feeds into my feeling that he knows exactly how he wants us to play but to date we haven’t been able to get the quality in to play it. I think he basics says as much in his interview about McKay.

So far I think he has taken a very good approach. He culled the squad ruthlessly - no sentiment for the likes of aidy or particularly Hendo. He has brought in players like Frear and Roberts and then thought nah youre no good enough.

He has stated on numerous occasions its direct, quick attacking football he wants and tbf has recruited as such. But, being a fairly direct defender himself he recognises the value there  - so all in all a measured approach up top and at the back. If Haring or Devlin comes good in the middle alongside Beni I for one will be a very happy man.

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Beat me to it.

Robbie's never been a dull-defensive manager. Totally made-up myth. He's struggled to dominate games away like every other Hearts manager for what seems like forever, but otherwise has always put out teams that score a good amount of goals and create a good amount of chances. The only real spell under Neilson we really struggled in an attacking sense was the period in 16/17 between Sow leaving and Bjorn Jonsson finding form.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, davie1980 said:

Exactly this. JC was a forward for us, not an out and out winger or a striker. The thing about our options up front that excites me the most is we have the players to play a front three similar to (in terms of some of their attributes and combinations) to some of my favourite Hearts front lines -

Colquhoun, Clark, Robertson

Colquhoun, Robbo, Crabbe

With a bit of Wayne Foster as one of the three at times. And a bit of Mike Galloway in 88/89.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 hour ago, Ugly American said:

What I have observed since 2005 is that there are Hearts supporters who are still under the illusion that there is a mad millionaire who owns the club and the best players are lining up to join the club.  

It must have been very difficult to persuade players to move from England to a Championship club last season due to the pandemic.  What Savage & his team have done is marvellous considering the position the club was in last season.  For some it would have been a leap of faith.

1 hour ago, Ugly American said:

Sounds very much like you have described milinkovic who people wanted to keep signing

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

What I have observed since 2005 is that there are Hearts supporters who are still under the illusion that there is a mad millionaire who owns the club and the best players are lining up to join the club.  

It must have been very difficult to persuade players to move from England to a Championship club last season due to the pandemic.  What Savage & his team have done is marvellous considering the position the club was in last season.  For some it would have been a leap of faith.

There's definitely a type of fan who started watching Hearts seriously during the early Romanov years and who has, let's be kind, slightly unrealistic expectations due to all the big talk at that time. They've since seen cup wins on a regular basis, something most fans before then could only dream of. They'll learn in time though that we'll never see a team like the 05/06 one again. Mind you, we really did only have one season under Romanov when we genuinely challenged at the top. Most of it was crushing underachieving, made worse by the amount of money we knew was being spent on the players.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Robbie's never been a dull-defensive manager. Totally made-up myth. He's struggled to dominate games away like every other Hearts manager for what seems like forever, but otherwise has always put out teams that score a good amount of goals and create a good amount of chances. The only real spell under Neilson we really struggled in an attacking sense was the period in 16/17 between Sow leaving and Bjorn Jonsson finding form.

Displays caution or pragmatic approach in some games which seems to translate for many as a bore.

Few people kicking around at the moment unsurprisingly. Bad result and they all return 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Displays caution or pragmatic approach in some games which seems to translate for many as a bore.

Few people kicking around at the moment unsurprisingly. Bad result and they all return 

Also doesn't try to go out and attack when we simply don't have the attacking personnel available, for example in 16/17 after Sow left and the guy who arrived on loan obviously wasn't going to cut it in his place. So we did play much more pragmatically - and to be fair still picked up points - until Bjorn Jonson got up to speed. Then he played more attacking and we started scoring more and ultimately cuffed Rangers in a fantastic performance. Ironically around the same time our defence that had been rock solid all season started leaking goals.

I don't get the folk who want us to attack, even against Celtic, when we simply don't have enough good attackers available for whatever reason. Suicide.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Well if Mackay Steven can be a match winner once in every 10 games and McKay can do the same that only leaves 8 games for the rest of them to grind out