• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Also doesn't try to go out and attack when we simply don't have the attacking personnel available, for example in 16/17 after Sow left and the guy who arrived on loan obviously wasn't going to cut it in his place. So we did play much more pragmatically - and to be fair still picked up points - until Bjorn Jonson got up to speed. Then he played more attacking and we started scoring more and ultimately cuffed Rangers in a fantastic performance. Ironically around the same time our defence that had been rock solid all season started leaking goals.

I don't get the folk who want us to attack, even against Celtic, when we simply don't have enough good attackers available for whatever reason. Suicide.

I was being sarcastic - just in case you thought otherwise.

I think Neilson knows you can only piss with the cock you’ve got and he knows his cock well. Hence the “pragmatism” when he clearly feels we need better quality, which it appears we are starting to get.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

11 hours ago, maroon said:

Jason Cummings back up striker ? Could do a job?

Huge yes from me. Exactly what we need off the bench. Hopefully in january

This thread! Honestly! :raging:

GTF with yer Jason Cumming pesh!!! 

NO I wouldn't take him and NO he couldn't "do a job"!!!

STFU!

25 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

not fit yet sadly

Yep,just restarted training after a back injury.  Doubt we'll see him this side of Christmas.  Got potential though.

12 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Exactly this. JC was a forward for us, not an out and out winger or a striker. The thing about our options up front that excites me the most is we have the players to play a front three similar to (in terms of some of their attributes and combinations) to some of my favourite Hearts front lines -

Colquhoun, Clark, Robertson

Colquhoun, Robbo, Crabbe

With a bit of Wayne Foster as one of the three at times. And a bit of Mike Galloway in 88/89.

Absolutely spot on! 

A front 3 as half as good as any of the aforementioned, I'd be delighted, much to look forward to🤞

RustyRightPeg
13 hours ago, maroon said:

Jason Cummings back up striker ? Could do a job?

Please stop. Is it not pretty evident from the players that Savage has targeted in the summer window that he would only be fit to clean their boots and not even make our first 18 players on a match day. 

Have a bit of ambition.  

RustyRightPeg
20 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Yep,just restarted training after a back injury.  Doubt we'll see him this side of Christmas.  Got potential though.

From the squad photos on the website looks as though he’s been doing a lot of work in the gym. 

Looking forward to seeing him get some game time. 

16 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

so 2 strikers is enough? I don’t think that’s the clubs view.. They have been pretty Frank about wanting another forward with pace to offer something different

it's a strange one for me.

We're struggling to get Gnando some game time. So would this pacey forward be competing with him for a game as well. Would imagine that makes it tricky to sell limited game time to a prospective signing.

Unless as some have said, McKay / Woodburn can plug that gap for the few games required.

The Old Tolbooth
15 hours ago, davie1980 said:

And we signed one in Barrie McKay.

Forward does not mean striker.

Since coming in Robbie has signed more wingers than anything else, It's clear he wants to play a front 3, with only one central striker but with Frear, Roberts, Kastaneer et al he couldn't really implement it. Now with GMS, Ginelly, Woodburn and McKay, he might have the players he needs.

That's 4 guys for two wide or supporting roles and 2 central strikers to fill the one central role.

The versatility of someone like Woodburn, who can apparently play as a striker, gives a degree of flexibility of options. 

The difference in quality between the first batch of wingers, and the latter batch highlighted above, is absolutely staggering! I'd never actually thought about it like that before, and it really does show that we've taken some big strides in moving forward. 

3 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Jason Cummings 🤣.  Any player that comes in has to be better than what we have got. That ain't Cummings!

I totally agree with your logic and Cummings is nowhere near our first choice striker. However, I think he is a better player than our second striker who for me isn’t good enough!

1 minute ago, bobskeldon said:

I totally agree with your logic and Cummings is nowhere near our first choice striker. However, I think he is a better player than our second striker who for me isn’t good enough!

I have yet to see him play up front as an out and out target man with two quality wingers shelling balls at him.

3 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

I disagree with your last sentence. 

Nando has influenced every game he has appeared in this season. 

16 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

If you’re meaning Gnanduillet I’m going to disagree more than anyone can possibly disagree. There’s no chance I would have Cummings ahead of Gnanduillet in any possible team selection.

Berra than you
24 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

I appreciate football is all about opinions and some might not fancy him, but Gnandauliet has been good for us. Played about 19 games for us (alot from the bench, only around 1060 minutes in total which is nearer 12 full games) and has 6 goals and 4 assists. Can't be asking for much more from a second choice striker imo.

Edited by Berra than you

8 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Can't believe Cummings is coming up again.

Gnando might not have set the heather alight, but I'm pretty confident that he's a much better option than Cummings. 

What we need is an actual out and out striker with some pace who will hassle and press defenders trying to play out from the back, who will win the ball back, and who will use his pace to run into positions for the midfield to feed through to him. Someone like Conor Washington as discussed a couple of pages back, but ideally with a bit more finishing ability.  

Ainsley Harriott
17 hours ago, davie1980 said:

And we signed one in Barrie McKay.

Forward does not mean striker.

Since coming in Robbie has signed more wingers than anything else, It's clear he wants to play a front 3, with only one central striker but with Frear, Roberts, Kastaneer et al he couldn't really implement it. Now with GMS, Ginelly, Woodburn and McKay, he might have the players he needs.

That's 4 guys for two wide or supporting roles and 2 central strikers to fill the one central role.

The versatility of someone like Woodburn, who can apparently play as a striker, gives a degree of flexibility of options. 

Well put it's almost like Joe and Robbie understand football to a higher degree that posters on here 

43 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

I appreciate football is all about opinions and some might not fancy him, but Gnandulliet has been good for us. Played about 19 games for us (alot from the bench, only around 1060 minutes in total which is nearer 12 full games) and has 6 goals and 4 assists. Can't be asking for much more from a second choice striker imo.

f.t.f.y., but anyway I definitely agree.  :icon14:   In addition, I'm confident he could step in and do a good job if Boyce is injured or suspended, but we'd need to give him much better service than he was getting last season. If we're playing with two wingers capable of putting in decent crosses and cut-backs, as discussed above, then that would go a long way to give big Gnando the goal-scoring opportunities he'd thrive on. He's a different player from Boyce though, and we'd have to change things a bit, but Woodburn or McEneff should be capable of giving him support through the middle.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Anyone with common sense would have known we didnt need to spend fortunes or even play that well to get out of the Championship. 

For many its not being said out of hindsight either, we were always in control of the situation, money has been managed appropriately and now we have mostly a good squad of players, just requiring a couple of defensive additions

LarrysRightFoot

When things went tits up under Levein, on paper, we had a very strong squad. That was with so called proven players - Naismith, Whelan etc etc. 

Our squad again looks good on paper, difference this time is there are some unproven but hyped youngsters- Beni, Woodburn etc. 

I don’t think we will end up in the same mess again though. Hopefully, the difference in attitude - having something to prove, instead of ‘having ‘been there and done it’ and also having a lot more legs makes the difference. 

I’m not a huge Robbie fan but I think he will be more positive in his attitude to the players than Levein was as well. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Just now, LarrysRightFoot said:

When things started to go tits up under Levein, on paper, we had a very strong squad. That was with so called proven players - Naismith, Whelan etc etc. 

Our squad again looks good on paper, difference this time is there are some unproven but hyped youngsters- Beni, Woodburn etc. 

I don’t think we will end up in the same mess again though. Hopefully, the difference in attitude - having something to prove, instead of ‘having ‘been there and done it’ and also having a lot more legs makes the difference. 

I’m not a huge Robbie fan but I think he will be more positive in his attitude to the players than Levein was as well. 

On paper Leveins mob was strong, but it was a cobbled together squad with no vision, just players with decent pedigree.  There was no real core to the team and no visible squad togetherness.  The way tools were downed was frightening.

17 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

On paper Leveins mob was strong, but it was a cobbled together squad with no vision, just players with decent pedigree.  There was no real core to the team and no visible squad togetherness.  The way tools were downed was frightening.

It's all about the spine, you put that down then put players around it, we have one of the best in the league, including the OF... 

Gordon

Souttar

Beni

Boyce 

What would hibs be? 

Macey

Hanlon

Newell

Nisbet 

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Can't believe Cummings is coming up again.

Gnando might not have set the heather alight, but I'm pretty confident that he's a much better option than Cummings. 

What we need is an actual out and out striker with some pace who will hassle and press defenders trying to play out from the back, who will win the ball back, and who will use his pace to run into positions for the midfield to feed through to him. Someone like Conor Washington as discussed a couple of pages back, but ideally with a bit more finishing ability.  

I am not and was not suggesting we sign JC. I was responding to a post saying that JC wasn’t better than what we have!!! In terms of our second choice striker AG, I think JC is a better player and finisher than him. Simples.

39 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

yeap - a definite feel of 'a team of star players' thrown together - as opposed to a star team Nielsen (and Savage) are trying to build

1 hour ago, Jambo92 said:

This part is spot on and explains why he never managed to build a proper team.

Robbie to his credit knows how he wants to play and has gone about his recruitment via Joe Savage etc to find the players that fit into his system.

He has had to adjust how he wantd to play partly because he did not have all the right players and he made a few dodgy signings but these were really just stop gaps and nothing in comparison to the revolving door fo players that Levein had.

We also have a much younger group of players than before and none on silly lengthy contracts.

It has taken a long time but things are gradually starting to look promosing again.

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Do you think we are all worried about our lack of strikers because we had to rely on Steven McLean a couple of seasons ago?

Nope I think it’s the obvious lack of replacement for Boyce and the still unproven imo element with Nando. 

On 07/09/2021 at 23:33, WageThief said:

Bongo no longer posting rumours but just as much shite.

He's verging on becoming a parody of himself! 

11 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Nope I think it’s the obvious lack of replacement for Boyce and the still unproven imo element with Nando. 

Gonna be tricky, unless an up and coming youth, to get someone in near to Boyce’s standard. I’d like someone else but if Woodburn can play striker I think we’re in an ok position.  I’d reckon after Robbie said he’d like a fast striker, that we’ll get someone in January. 

2 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Suit and tie with scarf above head.    Good attitude.   All the best to him.   Hope he manages a debut versus some bottom six side later or a cup game. 

He seems highly thought off and looks pleased to have signed his first pro contract.

Hopefully he can make Rangers regret allowing him to move on to us.

3 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Suit and tie with scarf above head.    Good attitude.   All the best to him.   Hope he manages a debut versus some bottom six side later or a cup game. 

Love to see it. Hoping he cracks on and enjoys some success! 

On 07/09/2021 at 23:35, Bongo 1874 said:

No Robbie deserves praise when the team wins, if you can't see that the second half performance was a massive improvement to the first then okay, maybe try that method when the game is 0-0 but. 

The players were clearly instructed to not cross the halfway way line when Celtic were in possession, hence why we had no outball when we won back possession because Boyce, was on the edge of his own box. 

The Aberdeen game we went 1-0 up and changed formation and Aberdeen came into the game. 

The idea that players are given strict instructions not to cross the halfway line during games is quite frankly utterly stupid. 

Just now, Batistuta87 said:

Love to see it. Hoping he cracks on and enjoys some success! 

The orcs have had a good batch of youngsters coming through recently. So hopefully he ends up being a bit of a Hicky for us.

11 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

The orcs have had a good batch of youngsters coming through recently. So hopefully he ends up being a bit of a Hicky for us.

Yeah they have. I remember being very impressed with the Celtic v Rangers youth cup final in 2019. Looking back at the line up now, a few of them have taken the next step into first team football. Hopefully this young lad has been decent for them and will continue to be decent for us. 

Celtic: Liam Hughes (GK), Dylan Forrest (Michael Sparkes, 76’), Brody Paterson, Liam Morrison, Chris McQueen, Paul Kennedy (Ben Wylie, 69’), Karamoko Dembele, Barry Coffey, Cameron Harper, Scott Robertson (Dave McKay, 45’), Amstrong Oko-Flex

Unused substitutes: Ryan Mullen, Owen Moffat, Sam Denham, Connor McBride

Rangers: Lewis Budinauckas (GK), Nathan Patterson, James Maxwell (Declan Butterworth, 66’), Ben Williamson, Daniel Finlayson, Kyle McClelland, Dapo Mebude, Ciaran Dickson, Nathan Young-Coombes (Kieran McKechnie, 76’) , Kai Kennedy (Joao Balde 90’), Josh McPake

Unused substitutes: Brian Kinnear, Harris O’Connor, Leon King, Matt Yates.

Edited by Batistuta87

36 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

The idea that players are given strict instructions not to cross the halfway line during games is quite frankly utterly stupid. 

Did you miss our two 60 yard screamers ?

49 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Looks like one of Robbie's cast-offs.   :whistling:

Good luck Callum!

Edited by Auld Reekin'

On 07/09/2021 at 23:37, Bongo 1874 said:

So let me get this right, when the team win, the players are playing to Robbie instructions, 

But when they lose they aren't i understand. 

You're probably closer to the truth than you think here, and closer than you want to be!  Even the best players in the world don't play to their manager's instructions all the time, and as we're far from being able to afford the best players, the reality is that quite often at least some of our players will be failing to play to Robbie's instructions, at least to some extent.  In games where the players are more successful at playing to his instructions, we'll probably win fairly often. In games where the players are less successful at playing to his instructions, we'll probably not win very often.

None of that absolves him from any blame when we don't win, as one of the key things any coach/manager has to be able to do is give the players instructions that they should be able to follow for the most part!

Bazzas right boot
20 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Sounds like nearly every decent winger we’ve ever had. He’ll be loved if he has those moments of magic fairly often. 

These moments of magic for me are all about when the happen. 

GMS, seems to be effective in key moments - wins us games. 

Gino - changed the cup final.

Even walker last season won us games. 

Good players deliver at important times and in big games. 

It's all about when they produce these moments for me. In tight games or a big game,

Or does he put in the 4th goal in a rout, score a double in a 5-0 but then offer nothing in a 0-0. 

We now have options out wide as well to rotate dependent on general form or how the game is going. 

Positive stuff. 

We'll get better as folk get up to speed as well. Many will have just met each other. 

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Laughable. 

Grown adults were peddling this as well. 

😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

These moments of magic for me are all about when the happen. 

GMS, seems to be effective in key moments - wins us games. 

Gino - changed the cup final.

Even walker last season won us games. 

Good players deliver at important times and in big games. 

It's all about when they produce these moments for me. In tight games or a big game,

Or does he put in the 4th goal in a rout, score a double in a 5-0 but then offer nothing in a 0-0. 

We now have options out wide as well to rotate dependent on general form or how the game is going. 

Positive stuff. 

We'll get better as folk get up to speed as well. Many will have just met each other. 

Agree. When you look at the last ‘batch’ of wingers (there’s a post about it on this thread or similar) including Kasteneer, Frear and Roberts the upgrade is obvious. Very exciting players at the club right now. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

When things went tits up under Levein, on paper, we had a very strong squad. That was with so called proven players - Naismith, Whelan etc etc. 

I agree about the cobbled together feel compared to this squad. And Levein seems to

collect players, signing some just because they became available it seemed sometimes, instead of chasing specific targets.

Unfortunately the injuries to the best players he signed weren’t on paper, so who knows how differently things could have gone from Oct 2018 onwards.