• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

13 hours ago, OTT said:

Sounds daft, but always worth asking the question. Doubt we'd be able to afford those kinds of figures but we do have a solid team. A 6 month deal might suit someone. Put themselves in the shop window for a decent sized english club. 

Yeah I mean he's sitting unemployed just now, 31-32, earning zip, and will probably be looking at Championship football at the moment on those sort of wages. If we stuck our necks out and put that sort of money (6 months wages would be roughly £250k) on the table for someone like that just for the rest of the season and he scored the goals that were the difference between us challenging for 1st/2nd / winning a cup, and finishing 4th or 5th, then its a fantastic bit of business.

Folk will say there's absolutely no chance, but I'd have said there was no chance of us getting someone like Beni or Woodburn through the door either so who knows.

Heard the name Elis Simms being floated around (on loan from Everton) as well which is an interesting one. Think he's been scoring quite a few goals at U21/U23 level both domestically and internationally. 

Edited by Batistuta87

12 hours ago, Cruyff said:

£942k a year for Johnny Russell? 

:cornette:

There was something going about a wee while ago saying that he was one of the highest paid players in the league and apparently including bonuses and sponsorships and things like that he was making over $2M a season. This was maybe last year or the year before.

Considering he's done so well over there, just about every team in the league will be tripping over each other to try and sign him when his contract is up so IMO there's no way he'll be heading back to Scotland unless he needs/wants to for any sort of personal reasons or anything like that. 

10 hours ago, OTT said:

Gnando is the sort of big tall striker that shrinks when he jumps and Boyce whilst quality isn’t a big physical striker that can dominate in the air.

It looks like a lot of our problems come from crosses into the box aiming for a striker that isn’t dominant in the air. 

Getting an Andy Carroll type striker who can win headers and cause problems for defenders would be great. Paterson for me fits the bill. 

Agree with your points though. Wingbacks aren’t offering enough support going forward and if we can’t get them to contribute better to the attacks and can’t replace them then adopting a back 4 so we can get an extra man in midfield would be good. Seems like the back 5 is to accommodate Halkett but Moore seems to be a better player.

It's a pacey finisher we need mate. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
On 27/10/2021 at 08:19, Arthur Morgan said:

Ah so I take it we were close? I can't remember exactly what happened. Probably would have been the better option than Gnanduillet, and I reckon Robbie was only saying Gnanduillet was our 1st choice to make him feel wanted. Adebayo was probably 1st choice. 

Walsall scuppered it if you remember by saying we leaked it, player was keen, not long after Luton jumped in

10 hours ago, OTT said:

Gnando is the sort of big tall striker that shrinks when he jumps and Boyce whilst quality isn’t a big physical striker that can dominate in the air.

I

He ceratinly didn't 'shrink' when he scored the goal at 1:46in this video....

6 minutes ago, Firefox said:

He ceratinly didn't 'shrink' when he scored the goal at 1:46in this video....

This getting trotted out every time someone comments on his aerial ability ? Not saying he is a bad header of the ball but for his height he is shocking at winning headers, he just doesn’t use his natural attributes well enough imo.

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

This getting trotted out every time someone comments on his aerial ability ? Not saying he is a bad header of the ball but for his height he is shocking at winning headers, he just doesn’t use his natural attributes well enough imo.

Gnando was winning headers all night on Wednesday.

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Right wing back and another striker needed in January. We are not far off.

agreed. Calum Paterson and a finisher who can play on the shoulder.. 

this will draw some reaction but a fully fit stevie Naismith from 2 years ago would have scored an absolutely barrel load in this team.

21 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Gnando was winning headers all night on Wednesday.

I think he could do better, that’s all. 

Edited by Dazo

August Landmesser
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I think he could do better, that’s all. 

oh definitely - he (and Woodburn I reckon) have yet to fully burst into life. Hopefully Gino is almost there too after his performance on Weds

Pasquale for King
12 hours ago, OTT said:

It looks like a lot of our problems come from crosses into the box aiming for a striker that isn’t dominant in the air. 

Getting an Andy Carroll type striker who can win headers and cause problems for defenders would be great. Paterson for me fits the bill. 

Agree with your points though. Wingbacks aren’t offering enough support going forward and if we can’t get them to contribute better to the attacks and can’t replace them then adopting a back 4 so we can get an extra man in midfield would be good. Seems like the back 5 is to accommodate Halkett but Moore seems to be a better player.

Spot on. 
Wing backs that can’t cross to a lone striker who can’t win headers is not a good combination. 

The lean, 2016 version of Callum Paterson would've been great at right-wing-back. The big, bulky lump of a striker he is now though? I'm sure he'd do well enough but I don't see that as being what we need to help us kick on.

Based on what we've seen so far, I'm sure the recruitment team can identify the players that best fit what we need without us shoehorning an ex-player in.

I think the most important attribute we need from the new striker is finishing - we need a decisive player who can score from half-chances. Boyce is a good player and a decent goalscorer but how many of his (non-tap-in) goals are first time finishes? I can only really think of the two goals in the 6-0 v Alloa off the top of my head. He has a tendency to take a touch and, on his own up front, he often gets crowded out. It's no coincidence that both his goals from open play this season have come when we've had another striker on the pitch creating space.

I'm absolutely not suggesting him, but by way of example, I think Kyle Lafferty was the last player we had who was really good at first time finishes. He'd hit it hard and early and he was good at finding the corner from difficult angles. We could do with someone with that ability just now.

A good attacking right-wing-back option would also allow us to swap to two up front without losing width, so that's another must.

15 hours ago, Cruyff said:

£942k a year for Johnny Russell? 

:cornette:

He's a good player, spent years at the top end of the championship - 18k a week doesn't sound so mental to me.

1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

The lean, 2016 version of Callum Paterson would've been great at right-wing-back. The big, bulky lump of a striker he is now though? I'm sure he'd do well enough but I don't see that as being what we need to help us kick on.

Based on what we've seen so far, I'm sure the recruitment team can identify the players that best fit what we need without us shoehorning an ex-player in.

I think the most important attribute we need from the new striker is finishing - we need a decisive player who can score from half-chances. Boyce is a good player and a decent goalscorer but how many of his (non-tap-in) goals are first time finishes? I can only really think of the two goals in the 6-0 v Alloa off the top of my head. He has a tendency to take a touch and, on his own up front, he often gets crowded out. It's no coincidence that both his goals from open play this season have come when we've had another striker on the pitch creating space.

I'm absolutely not suggesting him, but by way of example, I think Kyle Lafferty was the last player we had who was really good at first time finishes. He'd hit it hard and early and he was good at finding the corner from difficult angles. We could do with someone with that ability just now.

A good attacking right-wing-back option would also allow us to swap to two up front without losing width, so that's another must.

Bring back Paterson on loan I say 

6 hours ago, Dazo said:

What you said was that he shrinks when he jumps. This video contradicts that and as August Landmesser said, he was winning headers all night on Wednesday.  A couple of his headers at goal were on target and one wold have been a goal if not for a great save from Zander Clark.  on occasion he won the ball in the air despite the quality of the crosses that were sent in for him. Just because you don't rate him it doesn't mean you can make a statement that isn't correct. 

3 minutes ago, Firefox said:

What you said was that he shrinks when he jumps. This video contradicts that and as August Landmesser said, he was winning headers all night on Wednesday.  A couple of his headers at goal were on target and one wold have been a goal if not for a great save from Zander Clark.  on occasion he won the ball in the air despite the quality of the crosses that were sent in for him. Just because you don't rate him it doesn't mean you can make a statement that isn't correct. 

That video was from his debut. He’s not good at making challenges in the air. Fine fighting for the ball on the deck but I’m not sure anyone who has watched every games he’s played in for the first team would question that. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

That video was from his debut. He’s not good at making challenges in the air. Fine fighting for the ball on the deck but I’m not sure anyone who has watched every games he’s played in for the first team would question that. 

Doesn't matter what game it came from, it disproves the myth that he 'shrinks when he jumps' 

1 minute ago, Firefox said:

Doesn't matter what game it came from, it disproves the myth that he 'shrinks when he jumps' 

It’s also telling that it’s a video from his first game. Every game he’s played in has been on video. 

16 minutes ago, Firefox said:

I didn’t actually say any of the things you’ve posted there. 😂

As I said during the close season we need 4 strikers who can score. Boycey & Gnando is not enough especially when one isn’t scoring. Where is the competition for a centre forward who can score.

6 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

As I said during the close season we need 4 strikers who can score. Boycey & Gnando is not enough especially when one isn’t scoring. Where is the competition for a centre forward who can score.

Think it was well documented we were looking for another striker. Disappointing not to get one. 

14 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Big time.

He was pretty deadly in front of goal though. Remember him scoring a couple of great finishes in that back and forth bruiser v St Johnstone at Tynecastle.

He was such a dick and had huge holes in his game but he was a great finisher for our level.

That was what was so frustrating about him. His flaws were things you'd think you could teach a 12 year old to overcome, but his attitude was so obnoxious that he clearly saw it as beneath him.

CP would struggle in a team that passes it’s way up the park! He is much more suited to teams who play for seconds and prioritise hitting the channels. 

19 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

CP would struggle in a team that passes it’s way up the park! He is much more suited to teams who play for seconds and prioritise hitting the channels. 

Let's not get all Hibernian...

We play some great stuff at times but I've seen the ball launched at Boyce's head plenty and he's not even that kind of striker.

35 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Let's not get all Hibernian...

We play some great stuff at times but I've seen the ball launched at Boyce's head plenty and he's not even that kind of striker.

The best thing about Paterson is that he is versatile in where he can play. You could still play Boycie through the middle and Paterson out wide. If Boyce isn't getting any joy, you can move Paterson into the middle and go route one. 

Boyce has proved he can score goals, but he cannot do all the work himself. Our wingers aren't doing a great job of getting the ball to him and often Boyce is forced to drop so deep his attacking threat is nullified. Having a big physical lad that is dominant in the air who can come in and win Boyce knockdowns and nod the ball onto him will create chances. 

When teams are shutting up shop against us and playing with 10 men behind the ball often set pieces and route 1 style football is the only way to get chances. We're stymieing ourselves by not having that kind of Kevin Kyle striker. 

kingantti1874

Paterson is a physical presence and a game breaker.. would get us 10-12 goals a season and convert these dominant draws into wins.

Scottish defenders could not handle him single handed, creating space space Mackay, Woody, Gino and GMS to play

all IMO of course

22 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Ryan Hardie at Plymouth might be worth having a look at. 

Not a striker but Connor Ronan at St Mirren has impressed me. Seems like a midfielder that can get goals. 

Probably missed the boat with Hardie. Just signed along term contract. Should have signed him a couple of years ago. 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Probably missed the boat with Hardie. Just signed along term contract. Should have signed him a couple of years ago. 

I can vaguely remember him as a youngster at Rangers and on loan at Livi I remember him doing really well but i have heard folk raving about him this season at Plymouth. Apparently he's been a shit hot finisher and the boy beside him, Welsh kid, can't remember his name has also been very good. 

The other one we definitely should have signed was Ross Stewart from County, ended up at Sunderland and has 9 goals in 12 or something like that. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

I can vaguely remember him as a youngster at Rangers and on loan at Livi I remember him doing really well but i have heard folk raving about him this season at Plymouth. Apparently he's been a shit hot finisher and the boy beside him, Welsh kid, can't remember his name has also been very good. 

The other one we definitely should have signed was Ross Stewart from County, ended up at Sunderland and has 9 goals in 12 or something like that. 

If Hardie keeps knocking them in he will be playing in the Championship next season either with Plymouth or someone else.  We can’t compete with championship wages. 

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

If Hardie keeps knocking them in he will be playing in the Championship next season either with Plymouth or someone else.  We can’t compete with championship wages. 

You never know. That's what Savage, Brown and Lancefield are for, to find us the diamonds in the rough. 

On RWB

Ross County have done really well with Harrison (Harry) Clarke, season long loan from Arsenal. Scored 3, his last 2 were beauties which drew my attention to him.

Kalvin Ramsay at Aberdeen, thought he was really good against us, one of top assists rate in the league. 

23 hours ago, Dazo said:

Would agree with this. St Johnstone on wed there was a couple times he was towards the back post but the ball never got through. I've no doubt had the cross made it he would've got a decent header away.... BUT

Compared to say Callum paterson there is no way he'd be waiting for it to happen. He'd be powering through the middle of the box to attack it. That's the difference

Bazzas right boot
16 hours ago, mitch41 said:

We did try for another one, it was common knowledge 

17 hours ago, Dazo said:

I didn’t actually say any of the things you’ve posted there. 😂

Oops! neither you did  😂 my bad, apologies!

Arthur Morgan
On 29/10/2021 at 10:20, Sir Gio said:

Walsall scuppered it if you remember by saying we leaked it, player was keen, not long after Luton jumped in

Ah yeah I remember now.

Arthur Morgan

Need 2 strikers and a RWB if we are persisting with this system. We really should change to a 352 (3412) though. Gives us 3 in the centre of midfield and 2 strikers. 

Looking at the "Contracts expiring at the end of the season" list and actually not much to choose from. Of those available, I'd say:

Shaun Rooney (RB, St Johnston)

Matt Hedges (RW, Aberdeen)

Jamie McGrath (AM, St Mirren)

Louis Appere (RW/ST, Dundee Utd)

... Could all be useful to us. 

Thinking along the lines of Beni / Woodburn type deals, hoping JS will pull an absolute gem out of nowhere we have: 

Harry Lewis (GK, Southampton)

Ben Johnson (RB, West Ham)

Jarrod Branthwaite (CB, Everton) - apparently we tried for him in the summer but he chose to stay at Everton.

... Out of contract at the end of the season too. 

I'd take any of the above personally. All of them would offer us something. 

17 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Looking at the "Contracts expiring at the end of the season" list and actually not much to choose from. Of those available, I'd say:

Thinking along the lines of Beni / Woodburn type deals, hoping JS will pull an absolute gem out of nowhere we have: 

Jarrod Branthwaite (CB, Everton) - apparently we tried for him in the summer but he chose to stay at Everton.

Is that the Ben Johnson that scored yesterday for the team that are 4th in the EPL???

4 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Is that the Ben Johnson that scored yesterday for the team that are 4th in the EPL???

Didnt realise he was getting a game haha - I've completely lost interest in English football. Scrub him off! 

22 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Ben Johnson is getting a regular game for West Ham now but yes, we should be looking along those lines (eg Cochrane)

5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Ben Johnson is getting a regular game for West Ham now but yes, we should be looking along those lines (eg Cochrane)

Aye played and scored for West Ham I see. But then Woodburn has played and scored for Liverpool and we've got him lol. 

Nah cheers for the correction; I didn't realise he was playing just now. Like I say, completely disillusioned with the EPL right now and think its absolutely dire. Don't think I've watched a full 90mins this season. The reason I picked him out is because - like Cochrane - he's a young lad with a low market value, playing for an EPL side.

Edited by Batistuta87