• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

4 hours ago, RobNox said:

It almost looks like we now have a recruitment strategy in place!

What I like is that we are focusing on younger players who should still have their best years ahead of them, as opposed to more experienced players who have passed their peak and are on a downward career trajectory.

While you can still pick up good signings that way, guys who will still put in a shift and give 100%, you also risk picking up players like Whelan and Martin etc who just seem happy to be picking up a wage, as they know they won't be getting a bigger move after Hearts.

👍😍

48 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

McHattie was looking very good until Kenny Miller was allowed to take him out.

Why Miller was not shown a straight red for that tackle bemuses me.  Maybe because the ref had already red carded one of the hun thugs in the first half.

Boyd also made a ridiculous challenge late on, can't remember who the victim was, but should have been a straight red.  At least Boyd had the decency to come out afterwards and admit he was lucky not to have been red carded.

I remember someone in the media of the Rangers persuasion suggesting that McHattie had exaggerated things and Miller's tackle wasn't that bad.  Well I guess being taken off the pitch in a leg brace then missing the next 4 months is a very extreme way of exaggerating a bad tackle.

I was speaking to an old Rangers friend on Wed ,hes a season ticket holder and told him we had signed Barrie Mackay . Right away he said hes a smashing player and he was gutted he left them , his words he will open up defences and win you games , well Barrie let's start on Sunday when you come on in 2nd half 

57 minutes ago, Marczero said:

I was speaking to an old Rangers friend on Wed ,hes a season ticket holder and told him we had signed Barrie Mackay . Right away he said hes a smashing player and he was gutted he left them , his words he will open up defences and win you games , well Barrie let's start on Sunday when you come on in 2nd half 

No pre-season,  completely short of match fitness.   Will get final 30 minutes I reckon.  The script is written.    Cmon Barrie,   Put  the spoon burners in their place and send us top on our own! 

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

All failures. 

Ffs, the young guy has lived the dream. 

Far more than the likes of you ( or me) will ever do. 

I await your best selling novel on how to be successful in life and avoid failures. 

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

The 6-2 was 100X worse than the Brora result

10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Without doubt. 

Nah, getting beat of a none league team is horrific. 

Iirc when hibs beat us 6-2 they were a good team. 

Had they not won 3-0 at Tynecastle recently and beat us 3-1 a few times. 

I was at these games. Late 90's very early 00's?

Latapy v Petric was the stuff of nightmares. Petric was like a traffic cone. 

That was the one and only period I had any doubt v them. 

Getting beat off a non league team, especially how the sc turned out was embarrassing and should never happen. 

It's like Mussleburgh athletic beating us. 

Nonesense result. 

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Getting beat off a non league team, especially how the sc turned out was embarrassing and should never happen. 

Nonesense result. 

My memory of the Brora defeat is fading fast, I still remember with horror the 6-2, my only comfort is that hibs fans must still be hurting with the much more recent 5-1, also the 6-2 was, even if painful, only a league match and the 5-1 was much more important.

34 minutes ago, brux said:

My memory of the Brora defeat is fading fast, I still remember with horror the 6-2, my only comfort is that hibs fans must still be hurting with the much more recent 5-1, also the 6-2 was, even if painful, only a league match and the 5-1 was much more important.

Sorry, which 5-1 pumping of the wee team are we talking about? I lose track.

Folk taking joy in McHattie dropping down a level is bizarre. And to say he was awful before his injury is just a downright fabrication tbh, he looked a very good prospect before it.

10 hours ago, RobNox said:

Why Miller was not shown a straight red for that tackle bemuses me.  Maybe because the ref had already red carded one of the hun thugs in the first half.

Boyd also made a ridiculous challenge late on, can't remember who the victim was, but should have been a straight red.  At least Boyd had the decency to come out afterwards and admit he was lucky not to have been red carded.

I remember someone in the media of the Rangers persuasion suggesting that McHattie had exaggerated things and Miller's tackle wasn't that bad.  Well I guess being taken off the pitch in a leg brace then missing the next 4 months is a very extreme way of exaggerating a bad tackle.

This still angers me now. It’s hard to find footage of the incident now, but I maintain it’s one of the worst ‘tackles’ I have ever seen. Miller goes in full tilt and makes no attempt to play the ball. He’s aiming for the leg and there is a clear intent to injure. It’s the most obvious straight red you’ll ever see in football. And because the ref saw it and gave a yellow at the time, he was protected from further punishment.

56 minutes ago, brux said:

Losing to Brora was an awful result, but it was one of the freak results football throws up every now and again. One of the things that keeps it interesting. As I said at the time, the only thing that mattered last season was getting promoted following our enforced demotion. If, on day 1, you’d offered me automatic promotion in exchange for going out of the cup to a non-league side, I’d have taken your whole arm off.

I don’t much care who we were knocked out by in the cup in any other year we don’t win it, and one embarrassing result isn’t going to change that.

12 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

This still angers me now. It’s hard to find footage of the incident now, but I maintain it’s one of the worst ‘tackles’ I have ever seen. Miller goes in full tilt and makes no attempt to play the ball. He’s aiming for the leg and there is a clear intent to injure. It’s the most obvious straight red you’ll ever see in football. And because the ref saw it and gave a yellow at the time, he was protected from further punishment.

Aye bang on the money and they cants have a cheek bleating on about the Neil Simpson tackle on Durrant too.

jamboinglasgow
18 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Folk taking joy in McHattie dropping down a level is bizarre. And to say he was awful before his injury is just a downright fabrication tbh, he looked a very good prospect before it.

There is a weird group on here who take pleasure in seeing failure in young players and former youngsters. Fair enough if you dont think they are good enough at the time but doesn't justify the cruel takes from some.

26 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Skip to 1:20:40 on this vid to see it. Very poor tackle and should have been a red

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nonesense result. 

Well said smithy can’t believe I just wrote that👍 How the feck they think there is a worse result than getting pumped by Brora is incredible, fair enough defend Neilson if you wish but don’t use a pathetic argument like that 

13 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Skip to 1:20:40 on this vid to see it. Very poor tackle and should have been a red

Really rate that strip. Loved the black socks

57 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I mean it was a bad tackle but you can't have watched that much football if its one of the worst you've ever seen. 

Bazzas right boot
44 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Well said smithy can’t believe I just wrote that👍 How the feck they think there is a worse result than getting pumped by Brora is incredible, fair enough defend Neilson if you wish but don’t use a pathetic argument like that 

I'm a sensible chap. 

Why wouldn't you  write that.... 😜

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Grown men by all accounts as well. 

Tragic behaviour aimed at any player, never mind ex Hearts players, especially guys who tried thier best and done us a turn. 

Weirdos to a man. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, brux said:

They'll be future games where a derby is won by a big score. 

Brora will be in the history books. 

Our generations 0-2 v Forfar. 

The Peterhead lc game was worse, league 3 side finished above us in the lc group stages ffs. 

Shambles 

Anyway, enough of this shite. 

Getting depressed. 😭

1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

He didn't look a prospect at all, never in fact...he was very poor but we had no other LB after DG left so had to play. He tucked in all the time near his CH and left space the opposition took advantage of. He slide in and committed as a go-to MO and exposed our left side countless time. I don't take pleasure generally re anyone's demise, least of all former players, but he was poor, his attitude really was Billy Big time which I think will have played a part in his dramatic demise after we shipped him out. If you look at the Andy Irving thread as an example, I took umbrage at the no-marks in my opinion taking pleasure at his choices, clearly knocking others due to their own inadequacies...I don't feel the need to be negative simply for the sake of it, just voicing my opinion that he has always been poor and only played for us in 1st team due to the unique circumstances we were in 👌

Lord Beni of Gorgie
18 hours ago, Darren said:

I'll be delighted if we kick on now Neilson has the personnel to play the way he wants. The start to the season has been encouraging.

"Pragmatism" doesn't justify losing to Brora Rangers (the worst result in our history) or playing eye-bleeding football in the Championship for most of the season, though.

Need to get over Brora, its history. Bad history, but its gone. Pragmatism definitely justified the Championship, its led us to a position of strength now, means to an end, dont see how anyone could argue that now. Look at the squad you have now. Nobody at the games anyhow last year, means to an end, job done, move on. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
5 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nonesense result. 

You are missing the point SRB. It was against Hibs. I was at those games too and there is nothing on the football planet worse than getting beaten by them. They were all over us in the 6-2 game and I watched it from their stand: worst experience ever. I'll take a repeat in the LC against Brora any day over a pumping from Hibs.

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

You are missing the point SRB. It was against Hibs. I was at those games too and there is nothing on the football planet worse than getting beaten by them. They were all over us in the 6-2 game and I watched it from their stand: worst experience ever. I'll take a repeat in the LC against Brora any day over a pumping from Hibs.

I watched it from their stand as well.... 

Left at 4-1.

Missed our opening goal as well as was late. 😭

Been in their end once and it was that game. 🤷‍♂️

Disagree tho, we'll get beat from top league  sides from time to time - badly, even in a derby. 

Lucky for us I've seen far more hammerings dished out than taken. 

Brora is just an embarrassment. 

Should not happen. 

Especially as the cup draw opened out. 

The 6-2 doesn't even register with me, it gets lost amongst 22 iar, various 4-1's and 4-0's and 2 x 5-1.

Not to even mention the  4-4.

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

I agree.  

They are probably failures in their own lives so this is a way of getting at others as they have some sort of complex 

Of course they may be very successful and content in their own lives and are just utter shits.

😁

Or failures and utter shits. 🤷‍♂️

Sub4TiddlerMurray
53 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I watched it from their stand as well.... 

Left at 4-1.

Missed our opening goal as well as was late. 😭

Been in their end once and it was that game. 🤷‍♂️

Disagree tho, we'll get beat from top league  sides from time to time - badly, even in a derby. 

Lucky for us I've seen far more hammerings dished out than taken. 

Brora is just an embarrassment. 

Should not happen. 

Especially as the cup draw opened out. 

The 6-2 doesn't even register with me, it gets lost amongst 22 iar, various 4-1's and 4-0's and 2 x 5-1.

Not to even mention the  4-4.

Fair play. As ever, I stayed to the bitter end. 

I'm confident we won't take any heavy defeats this term. We are looking structurally sound defensively with a back 3 and very good defensive wing backs. Beni and Haring also shore up the area in front of the 3. Even against Celtic, in the 3-2 game, previous teams would have shipped a lot more than we did that day...and that's probably the most pressure our back line will come up against this season.

Hibs will be lucky to get a sniff on Sunday (if Smith is playing) especially if Boyle is out. I'd also love to eat my words on McKay if he scores a belter.

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Fair play. As ever, I stayed to the bitter end. 

I'm confident we won't take any heavy defeats this term. We are looking structurally sound defensively with a back 3 and very good defensive wing backs. Beni and Haring also shore up the area in front of the 3. Even against Celtic, in the 3-2 game, previous teams would have shipped a lot more than we did that day...and that's probably the most pressure our back line will come up against this season.

Hibs will be lucky to get a sniff on Sunday (if Smith is playing) especially if Boyle is out. I'd also love to eat my words on McKay if he scores a belter.

It's all coming back to me, I walked round the corner on to ER and the 5th went in and the pub went crazy. 

I walked on a bit and caught the 6th and our goal. 

Horrendous, I remember saying to my mates if you score before ht we will fold, said that about 43 mins. 

They scored 2, we folded. 

Agree with you - although we might get a roasting or two  in Glasgow. I think everyone will, but hopefully not. 

Celtic never really taken us apart either in that game. 

If we bounce through to Ibrox top of the league and get a result.... 

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's all coming back to me, I walked round the corner on to ER and the 5th went in and the pub went crazy. 

I walked on a bit and caught the 6th and our goal. 

Horrendous, I remember saying to my mates if you score before ht we will fold, said that about 43 mins. 

They scored 2, we folded. 

Agree with you - although we might get a roasting or two  in Glasgow. I think everyone will, but hopefully not. 

Celtic never really taken us apart either in that game. 

If we bounce through to Ibrox top of the league and get a result.... 

I like the last two lines. Sums up what supporting team should be like. Will we win league, unlikely I guess but you just never know.

23 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

He didn't look a prospect at all, never in fact...he was very poor but we had no other LB after DG left so had to play. He tucked in all the time near his CH and left space the opposition took advantage of. He slide in and committed as a go-to MO and exposed our left side countless time. I don't take pleasure generally re anyone's demise, least of all former players, but he was poor, his attitude really was Billy Big time which I think will have played a part in his dramatic demise after we shipped him out. If you look at the Andy Irving thread as an example, I took umbrage at the no-marks in my opinion taking pleasure at his choices, clearly knocking others due to their own inadequacies...I don't feel the need to be negative simply for the sake of it, just voicing my opinion that he has always been poor and only played for us in 1st team due to the unique circumstances we were in 👌

He was living at his mum's, getting public transport in to training, gave his all in our hardest seasons, got paid a pittance and still volunteered to take a pay cut. 

A playing critique is fair enough but the lad has my goodwill, I think that's harsh.

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

He was living at his mum's, getting public transport in to training, gave his all in our hardest seasons, got paid a pittance and still volunteered to take a pay cut. 

A playing critique is fair enough but the lad has my goodwill, I think that's harsh.

... this isn't the place to get into it but equally so, I know he wasn't as humble & respectful as people should be in such a envious position ... my last word being it has come as no surprise the career that followed him ...

Holyrood_Hearts
On 09/09/2021 at 19:49, GavK1012 said:

Has he 🤣😅 very poor player, lucky we were on our knees at the time we had no other option but to play him & he racked up a fair number of games...cue the folk that claim the sevco injury turned his career downwards 🙄😬🤥

Not sure what’s so funny? 

23 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

... this isn't the place to get into it but equally so, I know he wasn't as humble & respectful as people should be in such a envious position ... my last word being it has come as no surprise the career that followed him ...

Where was the Billy big boots attitude? I thought he came over a very level headed youngster

Guest ToqueJambo
On 10/09/2021 at 02:49, GavK1012 said:

Did mcHattie steal your girlfriend or something? He was a young player still learning the game but he was doing very well when he got injured.

Not the finished article but despite being young he did better in his 70 odd games than countless LBs with better pedigrees who came after - Rherras, Sowah, Mitchell, Oshaniwa… can’t even remember them all.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Did mcHattie steal your girlfriend or something? He was a young player still learning the game but he was doing very well when he got injured.

Not the finished article but despite being young he did better in his 70 odd games than countless LBs with better pedigrees who came after - Rherras, Sowah, Mitchell, Oshaniwa… can’t even remember them all.

I thought McHattie was destined for a solid top flight career prior to Kenny Miller ruining his career with a cowardly petulant assault. I don't know if you remember but Boyd also did something similar (on Brad Mckay) and Steven Smith (Paterson) did too (but he was sent off for it). Highlights the double standard in Scottish football with referees. All 3 red card offences, but he only had the balls to send off one of them. - When was the last time Rangers had more than 1 player sent off? if we had done that we'd have lost all 3 and the ref wouldn't even have blinked. 

Anyway, Kevin should have had a good career with us. He was solid enough defensively and solid enough going forward. No world beater, but miles better than our various attempts at replacing him at LB until we got Hickey. Gutted at how things have went for him. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

I thought McHattie was destined for a solid top flight career prior to Kenny Miller ruining his career with a cowardly petulant assault. I don't know if you remember but Boyd also did something similar (on Brad Mckay) and Steven Smith (Paterson) did too (but he was sent off for it). Highlights the double standard in Scottish football with referees. All 3 red card offences, but he only had the balls to send off one of them. - When was the last time Rangers had more than 1 player sent off? if we had done that we'd have lost all 3 and the ref wouldn't even have blinked. 

Anyway, Kevin should have had a good career with us. He was solid enough defensively and solid enough going forward. No world beater, but miles better than our various attempts at replacing him at LB until we got Hickey. Gutted at how things have went for him. 

Yeah, Eckersley was a great replacement but no world beater either. As you say, that was it for decent LBs until Hickey. Then Neilson finds us two for this season!

Edited by ToqueJambo

Heard a whisper the other night that we have been speaking to an experienced keeper currently out of contract. Any ITK folk heard anything?

31 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Heard a whisper the other night that we have been speaking to an experienced keeper currently out of contract. Any ITK folk heard anything?

Must be Sergio Romero, used to being back up to quality keepers like Gordon…

::troll::

4 hours ago, Deevers said:

Kieran Westwood or Ben Alnwick maybe? Both free agents, both over 30, Westwood has a possible connection to Savage being Irish and Alnwick has been a bit of a journeyman around the lower leagues down south his whole career having started out at Man City and been loaned out several times. 

Edited by Batistuta87

17 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Kieran Westwood or Ben Alnwick maybe? Both free agents, both over 30, Westwood has a possible connection to Savage being Irish and Alnwick has been a bit of a journeyman around the lower leagues down south his whole career having started out at Man City and been loaned out several times. 

Where is the Savage/Irish connection?

14 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Frankie Fielding there as well. Doesn't really matter who it is, they'll be a backup. 

• 3 weeks later...
Tommy Walker

Portuguese top flight club Braga are being linked with a move for Sheffield United striker Lys Mousset.

The Europa League side, managed by former Sheffield Wednesday manager Carlos Carvalhal, have been credited with interest in the 25-year-old.

In the final year of his contract, he could be allowed to discuss terms over a free transfer in January with clubs from abroad, and French media are reporting the club is keeping tabs on his situation.

And they are not the only one linked with a move.

Scottish Premiership side Hearts are also said to be in the frame.

The French forward, who arrived in the summer of 2019 from Bournemouth for just short of £10m, more than paid off his transfer fee in that first season, scoring six goals and chipping in with four assists as he led United to a top 10 finish and a lucrative pay day.

However, he has struggled to reproduce the form of that first season, having been beset by injury and fitness issues.

He has made just 14 league starts in two years and not found the net since that fruitful first campaign.

Having been out with another injury this season, picked up in the opening day defeat to Birmingham, he has just returned to the squad ahead of tomorrow's trip to former club Bournemouth.

United will need to make a decision at some point during this season whether to let him go on a free or retain his services in the hope of him returning to the player he was when he first signed.

The club does hold the option of an extra year should they wish to keep him at Bramall Lane beyond this summer.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-united-lys-mousset-braga-21731315

Disser Pointon
54 minutes ago, Tommy Walker said:

Portuguese top flight club Braga are being linked with a move for Sheffield United striker Lys Mousset.

The Europa League side, managed by former Sheffield Wednesday manager Carlos Carvalhal, have been credited with interest in the 25-year-old.

In the final year of his contract, he could be allowed to discuss terms over a free transfer in January with clubs from abroad, and French media are reporting the club is keeping tabs on his situation.

And they are not the only one linked with a move.

Scottish Premiership side Hearts are also said to be in the frame.

The French forward, who arrived in the summer of 2019 from Bournemouth for just short of £10m, more than paid off his transfer fee in that first season, scoring six goals and chipping in with four assists as he led United to a top 10 finish and a lucrative pay day.

However, he has struggled to reproduce the form of that first season, having been beset by injury and fitness issues.

He has made just 14 league starts in two years and not found the net since that fruitful first campaign.

Having been out with another injury this season, picked up in the opening day defeat to Birmingham, he has just returned to the squad ahead of tomorrow's trip to former club Bournemouth.

United will need to make a decision at some point during this season whether to let him go on a free or retain his services in the hope of him returning to the player he was when he first signed.

The club does hold the option of an extra year should they wish to keep him at Bramall Lane beyond this summer.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-united-lys-mousset-braga-21731315

Absolutely no chance.........................IMO!

• 3 weeks later...

Was listening to Sportsound on Saturday and Willie Miller was scathing of David Bates naivety in his defending. He clearly is struggling at Aberdeen.

The Hibs fans are describing the guy Scott from Hull as a waste of a jersey. These were just two of the players the club for slated for missing out on in this thread.

I do think we were separate for signings and it was understandable given the standard of football last season but given the success of the signings this year the club have earned the right to be given fans patience in the next couple of windows.

Also note Chris Meuller who was hailed as a big loss and fantatic signing for Hibs has just 2 goals in 25 game’s in the MLS this season and rarely gets 90mins.

No player allowed to leave has set the heather alight at their new clubs either.

Cochrane in on loan, Barrie McKay for free and Beni and Devlin signed for such small fees are looking as good value as we’ve seen for a very long time.

Other than scrolling through this thread, what other players were we linked with and felt a miss at the time??