***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

Arthur Morgan
35 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You defend as a team and attack as a team.

Strong defence is, the base from which any team starts. 

Defending is such a general time as well. 

You can defend in the final third or your own third, it's not just defenders that defend or strikers that attack. 

A bit broad to discuss, would need it's own thread. 

Yeah of course, I get where you're coming from. But yeah, probably best for another thread as it's off topic. 

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Agreed. I think after the next 2 or 3 windows I think we will be truly feared rather than sarcastically praised by the OF. 

League title in 3 years champions league group stages in 5. 

Yes I am having a kilo of crack

FTFY

Bazzas right boot

I played/coached rugby for more than 30 years and same rules apply to most team sports. 

Yip.

I played/coached rugby for more than 30 years and same rules apply to most team sports. 

The adage in American sports is, “offense sells tickets, defense wins championships.”

We need between 3-4 quality signings to properly challenge for the title imo

Quality striker

solid back up GK

solid Centre Half

Attack minded RWB

If we can get that then we will be up there imo, providing we aren't miles behind top spot by January.

4 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

i get this - Souttar was in effect playing as a midfield general at the weekend. Switching play, bring the ball up the pitch, scoring that goal.

Kingsley got forward a load too, as can Moore.

I still can’t help though that this is simply the first 6 months of a work in progress that may take 18 months to have all the pieces in place.

Get the formation in place and incrementally improve the team as and when we can attract better players - which will be window by window with our current set up IMO.

So what I mean by this is that next summer Cochrane and Smith will be superseded by wing backs that can defend but are more proficient at attacking.

We’ll also have a better main focus point as striker next season - and that is not to slag Boyce, but we will. 

I think we'll keep Cochrane if we can, but do think we'll look for someone new for RWB. I think Cochrane has become more positive as he's become more settled into the team, although his crossing could probably do with a bit of work! 

We need goals. Really need McKay, GMS, Gino and Woodburn to all be hitting 8 each in all competitions. Shouldn’t really be that difficult. 

4 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

We need goals. Really need McKay, GMS, Gino and Woodburn to all be hitting 8 each in all competitions. Shouldn’t really be that difficult. 

Lucky if they get 2 at this rate though 😂

8 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Lucky if they get 2 at this rate though 😂

Was hoping when the caravan parks opened again we’d hear less from you

11 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

The adage in American sports is, “offense sells tickets, defense wins championships.”

So true. Great quote. 

13 hours ago, GinRummy said:

We are a club with absolutely huge potential. That’s not overplaying it. A Hearts side winning trophies regularly could put the old firm and all the other low level shite that inhabit our jaded game on the back foot. Why don’t people believe that? Only because it hasn’t happened in their lifetime. 

Having a couple myself. It’s Tuesday after all. 

Cheers https://media.tenor.com/images/c1f63569d0fc8350810992520ab85764/tenor.gif

Arthur Morgan
10 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Remarkably unlucky not to get Adebayo in January, turned out to be a very good player 

Ah so I take it we were close? I can't remember exactly what happened. Probably would have been the better option than Gnanduillet, and I reckon Robbie was only saying Gnanduillet was our 1st choice to make him feel wanted. Adebayo was probably 1st choice. 

Bazzas right boot

Jack Wiltshire not fancy a league medal. 

Him in front of Beni would work. 

:notsure:myself Tbh. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Arthur Morgan
On 25/10/2021 at 01:05, Arthur Morgan said:

Ginelly has really disappointed me this season. I can't see him making it here sadly. 

Hmm maybe a bit premature. I thought he was our best player tonight and scored a really good goal. 

15 hours ago, kila said:

Was hoping when the caravan parks opened again we’d hear less from you

Harsh but spot on 😄

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Heard from a guy, who heard from the tea lady that we have had talks about a loan deal with Shankland....mibbes p!sh, mibbes true 

Arthur Morgan

Tony Watt out of contact at the end of this season. I would bring him back, had potential but played in a dire team beside Conor Sammon also. 

Arthur Morgan

Let's go for Watt in January! Been really impressed with him at Motherwell this season. Pay a fee to get him early. He knows who the big team in Edinburgh are.

Edited by Arthur Morgan

1 hour ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Tony Watt out of contact at the end of this season. I would bring him back, had potential but played in a dire team beside Conor Sammon also. 

I would take Watt but I'd be cautious. I think he's easily mentally unsettled and really came into his own only once he found stability at Motherwell.

If he came back to Tynecastle and ran into the boo boys again during a poor patch, he might regress back to his old form.

I like him a lot and if he felt good about coming back I'd welcome him but for both his sake and for Hearts I'd be cautious.

Reo griffiths. Olympique lyonnaise.Danny loader at Porto and George Hirst at Portsmouth any one of these three would appear to be typical targets. Teenage internationalists who have lost their way a wee bit. Just like moore woodburn mackay mceneff and cochrane. Sign 2 of these 3 joe savage

5 hours ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

Bring back Juanma 

He didn't really understand the offside rule but he was an excellent finisher. Hated his diving though. Embarrassing at times.

5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I would take Watt but I'd be cautious. I think he's easily mentally unsettled and really came into his own only once he found stability at Motherwell.

If he came back to Tynecastle and ran into the boo boys again during a poor patch, he might regress back to his old form.

I like him a lot and if he felt good about coming back I'd welcome him but for both his sake and for Hearts I'd be cautious.

He was talented but he'd play the Woodburn / Naismith role i guess. 

We're crying out for a straight up no.9.

5 hours ago, cosanostra said:

He was talented but he'd play the Woodburn / Naismith role i guess. 

We're crying out for a straight up no.9.

Really needing a penalty box striker - a natural finisher, ideally with a bit of height. 

Should chuck £10-12k a week at Andy Carroll for the rest of the season and see if it sticks 😆 His last contract was probably about £50k a week but he's currently a free agent earning zip and absolutely no way he's signing for anyone in the PL which is the only place he'll get that sort of money. 

Wilfried Bony and Yaya Sanogo, Oumar Niasse and Hal Robson-Kanu also all without clubs. 

Reach for the sky! 

On 26/10/2021 at 20:54, gregzy2k7 said:

We need between 3-4 quality signings to properly challenge for the title imo

Quality striker

solid back up GK

solid Centre Half

Attack minded RWB

If we can get that then we will be up there imo, providing we aren't miles behind top spot by January.

I think the striker and goalkeeper issues will be addressed in January.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, ericb said:

Get Johnny Russell back from USA 

I was thinking about him. 

Spooky. 

13 hours ago, cosanostra said:

He didn't really understand the offside rule but he was an excellent finisher. Hated his diving though. Embarrassing at times.

I hated his diving but I hated his perpetual offside offenses even more. I've never seen a striker that incapable of reading an offside trap in my life. Got him every single time.

kingantti1874

Maybe Devlin knows has some pals who play like him in that Aussie U23 squad. 

Their right back looked impressive and one I’d go for

9 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Really needing a penalty box striker - a natural finisher, ideally with a bit of height. 

Should chuck £10-12k a week at Andy Carroll for the rest of the season and see if it sticks 😆 His last contract was probably about £50k a week but he's currently a free agent earning zip and absolutely no way he's signing for anyone in the PL which is the only place he'll get that sort of money. 

Wilfried Bony and Yaya Sanogo, Oumar Niasse and Hal Robson-Kanu also all without clubs. 

Reach for the sky! 

Sounds daft, but always worth asking the question. Doubt we'd be able to afford those kinds of figures but we do have a solid team. A 6 month deal might suit someone. Put themselves in the shop window for a decent sized english club. 

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

£942k a year for Johnny Russell? 

:cornette:

He's actually doing very well; MLS player of the week, has scored for 8 games in a row but aye, some salary.

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Maybe Devlin knows has some pals who play like him in that Aussie U23 squad. 

Their right back looked impressive and one I’d go for

My Australian fitba contact says the RB (Nathaniel ?) will be heading higher than the SPFL.

30 minutes ago, Costanza said:

He's actually doing very well; MLS player of the week, has scored for 8 games in a row but aye, some salary.

Fair play. You can see why it's an attractive option. 

Ryan Hardie at Plymouth might be worth having a look at. 

Not a striker but Connor Ronan at St Mirren has impressed me. Seems like a midfielder that can get goals. 

kingantti1874
15 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Ryan Hardie at Plymouth might be worth having a look at. 

Not a striker but Connor Ronan at St Mirren has impressed me. Seems like a midfielder that can get goals. 

which midfielder do you drop though? They’ve all been very good. 

for me, a Calum Paterson should be the target. He will create havoc / space for others 

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

for me, a Calum Paterson should be the target. He will create havoc / space for others 

Definitely, Paterson in this formation would be lethal. 

13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

If we were to look at bringing in another midfield I think that would have to coincide with a change of shape to maybe 4-3-3, which allows us to keep the same forward structure. Certainly wouldn't be dropping Beni or Cammy, they are our main players. 

At this moment I probably wouldn't want us to change our formation. What we need is to improve the positions within it i. E Wing Backs and Centre Forward. 

I'm unsure on Paterson tbh. Jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind. Great physical attributes and an aerial presence but I think it is an out and out Centre Forward that's required. 

Edited by Cruyff

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

If we were to look at bringing in another midfield I think that would have to coincide with a change of shape to maybe 4-3-3, which allows us to keep the same forward structure. Certainly wouldn't be dropping Beni or Cammy, they are our main players. 

At this moment I probably wouldn't want us to change our formation. What we need is to improve the positions within it i. E Wing Backs and Centre Forward. 

I'm unsure on Paterson tbh. Jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind. Great physical attributes and an aerial presence but I think it is an out and out Centre Forward that's required. 

Gnando is the sort of big tall striker that shrinks when he jumps and Boyce whilst quality isn’t a big physical striker that can dominate in the air.

It looks like a lot of our problems come from crosses into the box aiming for a striker that isn’t dominant in the air. 

Getting an Andy Carroll type striker who can win headers and cause problems for defenders would be great. Paterson for me fits the bill. 

Agree with your points though. Wingbacks aren’t offering enough support going forward and if we can’t get them to contribute better to the attacks and can’t replace them then adopting a back 4 so we can get an extra man in midfield would be good. Seems like the back 5 is to accommodate Halkett but Moore seems to be a better player.

8 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I hated his diving but I hated his perpetual offside offenses even more. I've never seen a striker that incapable of reading an offside trap in my life. Got him every single time.

Big time.

He was pretty deadly in front of goal though. Remember him scoring a couple of great finishes in that back and forth bruiser v St Johnstone at Tynecastle.

He was such a dick and had huge holes in his game but he was a great finisher for our level.