***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

Sub4TiddlerMurray
4 minutes ago, Sertse said:

He bulks out the squad. He's either going to live up to the hype and start games or he won't and he'll play 30 mins here and there. Either way he serves a purpose. 

I think that's exactly why we signed him. It was opportunistic based on his release from Swansea rather than the method used to seek out and sign other players.

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Just now, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I think that's exactly why we signed him. It was opportunistic based on his release from Swansea rather than the method used to seek out and sign other players.

Yeah definitely. An educated punt you could say. Previous experience in Scotland, young enough and something to prove. Even if he doesn't live up to the hype he's still going to be better than what the majority of other teams have in terms of wingers.

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Definitely not.

Please feel free to explain why we should be excited about BMc based on his track record.

becuase he’s a good player who as you pointed out did very very well with rangers and did well down south in bursts especially in first season at Forrest.  

he brings something different can play either left or right or more centrally and has a good strike / final pass on him.  GMS or Ginelly will get injured or be out of form at points and we badly needed to add some depth to the squad which we have with woodburn and McKay .  

I don’t think the fans of any club he has played for have questioned his quality, but clearly we need to make sure he is motivated to get the best out of him.  

Edited by kingantti1874

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 minute ago, Sertse said:

Yeah definitely. An educated punt you could say. Previous experience in Scotland, young enough and something to prove. Even if he doesn't live up to the hype he's still going to be better than what the majority of other teams have in terms of wingers.

On the glass half full side, he's the only punt we have signed this window ....and TBF GMS was recruited with the same thought process and he turned out to be a gem. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

becuase he’s a good player who as you pointed out did very very well with rangers and did well down south in bursts especially in first season at Forrest.  

he brings something different can play either left or right or more centrally and has a good strike / final pass on him.  GMS or Ginelly will get injured or be out of form at points and we badly needed to add some depth to the squad which we have with woodburn and McKay .  

I don’t think the fans of any club he has played for have questioned his quality, but clearly we need to make sure he is motivated to get the best out of him.  

So, he's a 'punt' that we hope to motivate and get the best out of.

7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

9 minutes ago, Sertse said:

My mate in Lancs follows Fleetwood and said he really impresses

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I honestly think we are done. Would like a striker but as long as Boyce and Gnando aren't out at the same time I think we'll tough it out 'till January. 

Think you could be correct. 

Hopefully no golf carting accidents involving Boyce and Gnando. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
7 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Barrie McKay stats unless I’ve read wrong. 

291 games. 
38 goals. 
70 assists. 

29 goals in 240 pro games (not counting Scotland U18/19/21 and 1 full cap). 

14 goals in his last 119 games since 2015. Only 4 in 33 games for the mighty Fleetwood.

...according to wikipedia

37 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I thought I'd wait for the Barrie McKay stour to settle before saying that I am not impressed with his signing.

I have, on the other hand, been super-impressed with all the other signings because they appear to have been done with a lot of analysis/diligence to make sure they were an upgrade and fitted with how RN wants to play.

McKay's signing seems to be the only one that is based on the heart rather than the head: nostalgia for the impact he made at Rangers rather than the less than impressive record since leaving the Huns. He does appear to fit the shape we want to play but my guess is that he'll be a dud that gets too many chances above other better players.

I don't agree that it's different at all. McKay didn't make a consistent impact when in the English Championship, but the exact same is true of Baningime, Moore and Woodburn.

Analysing the relevant stats seems to be a key part of our current recruitment process, so I'd imagine they'll be well aware of things like this:

SuperstarSteve
5 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

29 goals in 240 pro games (not counting Scotland U18/19/21 and 1 full cap). 

14 goals in his last 119 games since 2015. Only 4 in 33 games for the mighty Fleetwood.

...according to wikipedia

Transfermarkt gave me those stats. His overall first team stats for all clubs. Doesn’t give you separate stats for each club. 
Being directly involved in 108 goals in just under 300 games. 
For a comparison Walker’s is roughly 230 games. 52 goals. 39 assists. 

28 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

McKay himself said it has been ongoing since January so i think there’s more to it than us diving in due to him ending up out of contract.  

8 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Jamie Walker has a far better record with 55 goals in 268 appearances

My guess is that Barrie McKay can still run the length of himself though

August Landmesser
17 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Think you could be correct. 

Hopefully no golf carting accidents involving Boyce and Gnando. 

They always travel in separate golf carts for security, like the royal family and planes, but much more important!

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 minute ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Transfermarkt gave me those stats. His overall first team stats for all clubs. Doesn’t give you separate stats for each club. 
Being directly involved in 108 goals in just under 300 games. 
For a comparison Walker’s is roughly 230 games. 52 goals. 39 assists. 

...based on those stats, Walker has a 40% successful impact rating and McKay has 36%

Sub4TiddlerMurray
3 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

McKay himself said it has been ongoing since January so i think there’s more to it than us diving in due to him ending up out of contract.  

Fair point

Fozzyonthefence

I think Mackay could be a good signing.  If he gets back to his Rangers form he will be better than any of the wingers we already had.  

Is he still worth £6m?!

7 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

...based on those stats, Walker has a 40% successful impact rating and McKay has 36%

Stats are great eh? How about a like for like between the two career's in England? Can't compare Championship as Walker never got a game so for league 1, Walker has a 10% goal contribution, McKay at 26%

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I like walker but his stats will include a lot of Championship games. 

Give McKay a chance like you would any signing, see how he does. 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Wee Barrie McKay will be class for us. 

Yip, I'm most excited by this. 

42 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

The latter in terms of 2 players slipped through the net before the window closed and you are right it was "whats available in the free agent market" .... but we did try to sign him in January so some due diligence had been done on the player by Savage.

Hopefully the recruitment department's analysis of him is a bit more sophisticated than a raw goals per game over several years, giving equal weighting to English and Scottish Championship. :lol:

If Jamie Walker had left at the end of 2016/17 and gone on to make a decent number of appearances at English Championship level since, then we'd all be very keen to sign him. Unfortunately we've seen with our own eyes that he declined pretty sharply from 2017 onwards.

It's possible that the same is true of McKay, but even his underwhelming spell in England is a fair bit better than Walker managed.

It won't always work out, but signing an early/mid 20-something who's shown promise and lost his way a bit fits pretty well with our current signing policy. 

jamboinglasgow
27 minutes ago, Ribble said:

My guess is that Barrie McKay can still run the length of himself though

I do think there are a lot similarities between McKay and Walker in their style of play, ability to bring a moment of magic that can turn a match. Problem for Walker is that his body has broken down so often that he is just not the same player as he was before he left for Wigan. McKay doesn't have that and being in a squad where we have enough depth that we are not reliant solely on him should mean he will have less pressure and perform better. Also think it helps Walker as well that he can be used when necessary. 

Edited by jamboinglasgow

Sub4TiddlerMurray
17 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I like walker but his stats will include a lot of Championship games. 

Give McKay a chance like you would any signing, see how he does. 

McKay played 33 times for Fleetwood in the English 4th tier. Haven't checked but I bet that's more than Walker played in our 2nd tier.

1 minute ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

McKay played 33 times for Fleetwood in the English 4th tier. Haven't checked but I bet that's more than Walker played in our 2nd tier.

Fleetwood play in the 3rd tier, not the 4th. And Walker has 76 appearances in the Scottish Championship.

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

your entitled to your opinion.  But what’s the point in trying to convince us he’s a bad player? 

We've got GMS, Gino, Woodburn and now McKay. We will only start two of them at any one time, so if Barrie wants to be in the starting XI, he has to make his mark, consistently. That goes for the rest of them. We've got good competition there and none of them can afford a day off. 

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

The vast majority of Mackay’s appearances for Rangers were either in our 2nd tier or lower though. 

29 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We've got GMS, Gino, Woodburn and now McKay. We will only start two of them at any one time, so if Barrie wants to be in the starting XI, he has to make his mark, consistently. That goes for the rest of them. We've got good competition there and none of them can afford a day off. 

Good for the squad   all competing for places , can only be good.....think we're heading in the right directions  but would love a goalscorer,,,,

Jack Torrance

The way I see it, is it's going to go one of two ways for Barrie. He'll either turn out to be the best signing of the window, or most surprising addition to the squad. Or He'll fade away into obscurity and we'll release him early. If 50% of signings at a club work out well, that's been a successful window.

It's down to Barrie now to make his mark. We need to support him from the off, like all the others. 

9 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

Good for the squad   all competing for places , can only be good.....think we're heading in the right directions  but would love a goalscorer,,,,

Boyce has 7 goals in 9 games so far this season so I'd argue that we have a goalscorer, Gnando seems more effective as a penalty box striker as well. For me what we're missing is a dirty work striker, someone who will run the opposition defence and keep them occupied making space for others. I'm happy to wait until january though and see how this squad does for now

2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Boyce has 7 goals in 9 games so far this season so I'd argue that we have a goalscorer, Gnando seems more effective as a penalty box striker as well. For me what we're missing is a dirty work striker, someone who will run the opposition defence and keep them occupied making space for others. I'm happy to wait until january though and see how this squad does for now

Washington was good at that

26 minutes ago, brux said:

Just 1 more striker in and Souttar signing a 3 year contract and this will have been an outstanding window

Technically mackay or any other signing is not included in the window 

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Washington was good at that

He did it to great effect in the game v Hibs where he scored. Probably his best game in maroon, he pressed, he chased, he tackled, and he used his pace to latch on to superb through ball and produced a lovely finish for his goal. I thought that game was going to be a big turning point for him and that he was going to really crack on from there, but it obviously didn't happen. Would love to get someone in who could do that regularly for us.   

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, ericb said:

Technically mackay or any other signing is not included in the window 

If you’re going to be pedantic it’s Mr Mckay mmmk 😜?

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Completely agree, however I think one of the points that was being made that the signing could be negative is that even if McKay doesn’t play well he may not be dropped in favour of others. I’m assuming based on his previous relationship he has with certain members of our playing and coaching staff. As much as I’d like that not to be true, it is conceivable it could happen. I think that’s a point that was being made. Certainly hope it’s nothing we have to worry about though.

A nice ffs.

Hes no even kicked a baw yet

RN has been ruthless in his cull to date and with those on contract. If you aint good enough thou shalt not play.

Jack Torrance
10 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Completely agree, however I think one of the points that was being made that the signing could be negative is that even if McKay doesn’t play well he may not be dropped in favour of others. I’m assuming based on his previous relationship he has with certain members of our playing and coaching staff. As much as I’d like that not to be true, it is conceivable it could happen. I think that’s a point that was being made. Certainly hope it’s nothing we have to worry about though.

I reckon Robbie would be naive to allow that to happen. His coat was (is still, in the eyes of some) on a shoogly peg following Brora and other results. He'll know results will fall squarely on his shoulders. He'll be conscious he's been backed and needs to deliver or he'll be following others out the door.

Edited by Jack Torrance

People who keep saying we need a goalscorer are on smack. Literal smack. For those who think that, here are a few very simple stats:

46 appearances 25 goals 12 assists 

Has won the top league goalscorer with Ross county 

4 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

I reckon Robbie would be naive to allow that to happen. His coat was (is still, in the eyes of some) on a shoogly peg following Brora and other results. He'll know results will fall squarely on his shoulders. He'll be conscious he's been backed and needs to deliver or he'll be following others out the door.

I would think (and hope) that’s to be the case. No room for error in this division. It was clearly evident he persisted with certain players to the detriment of the team and those not playing last season though. Would like to think there’s no room for sentiment or stubbornness in selection this season.

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, cruzabic said:

People who keep saying we need a goalscorer are on smack. Literal smack. For those who think that, here are a few very simple stats:

46 appearances 25 goals 12 assists 

Has won the top league goalscorer with Ross county 

do you not think we need backup? 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
20 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

100%