***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yup, JJ wanted a Kevin Kyle replacement. Got in Sutton but as you say Sutton plays very differently to Kyle so we did not play to his strengths. 

Also agree that you should sign players to suit your style. Too many clubs sign a player from a smaller team who is on great form without realising why they are doing well and just expect them to be amazing in a completely different style.

Yes, it seems a common failing. Only the really good players can fit in to any style.

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Berra than you
5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yup, JJ wanted a Kevin Kyle replacement. Got in Sutton but as you say Sutton plays very differently to Kyle so we did not play to his strengths. 

Also agree that you should sign players to suit your style. Too many clubs sign a player from a smaller team who is on great form without realising why they are doing well and just expect them to be amazing in a completely different style.

I mean, to be fair to JJ, he only managed Sutton for about 3 games. He just didn't fit Sergio's style at all, and not convinced that Kyle would have either.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Since Neilson/Savage have come in, leaks have been less frequent.

Said this last night, Neilson gave away nothing first time round, not good for this thread, but exactly how it should be. No rumours of GMS until 1 hour before he signed I think

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Would be absolutely superb if we signed someone good today and they were pictured holding up a jersey with their name and number 51 on the back. 

Leigh Griffths might be available?

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Said this last night, Neilson gave away nothing first time round, not good for this thread, but exactly how it should be. No rumours of GMS until 1 hour before he signed I think

Yeah, it’s always seemed pretty unprofessional how folk that know go away and tell folk who stick it online. 

Obviously from a fans point of view is great but probably shouldn’t be happening lol 

KyleLafferty

Speaking of Locke and that Boyd Rumour, I remember seeing David Goodwille out and I asked him if he was close to joining hearts and he said everything was done till we got that transfer embargo/admin.

Batistuta87
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Leigh Griffths might be available?

Imagine the seethe - or the outright rage more like - if we snatched Jackson Irvine from them and he was pictured with the number 51 shirt today 😂

Edited by Batistuta87

4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

You're very right.  But if they're keeping tight lips, I demand more signings or at least spread them out well.  One by end of this week, another 2 maybe start of June, claim activity done, then another end June/start July to surprise us.

I can't accept this abyss.  

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Imagine the seethe - or the outright rage more like - if we snatched Jackson Irvine from them and he was pictured with the number 51 shirt today 😂

That would be fun!  How did he do there??  Not kept tabs in the slightest.

Fact is if he was on short term deal at any other Scottish club and now free agent, we'd probably be hoping we were speaking to him...

1 hour ago, feedtheroman2 said:

Hmmmm

Screenshot_20210519-093651_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hopefully this will be it. The fact he's put his profile pic of him in our jersey is a very good sign as well. Seems to really like us which is good for everyone involved. 

SidewaysFitba
11 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Missing the point, like 160598 all over again. That’s a thing, whatever happened to that poster who posted all the time constantly?

Sorry bro, you've lost me. Any transfer news?

3 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Yup, making excuses about why they couldn't get promoted when the only reason was that they were rank rotten

And let's remember they also "cheated" (by their own standard) by paying way over their income in wages to get out of it too.  We've had a tough few years, yes, but never forget that despite being decent payers in Scottish terms, Hibs have been a shitshow for years and years.  Ours is almost definitely a blip.  Their sojourn to 3rd is almost certainly one too.

The galling this is it's often been us blocking any mediocre success they've had.  One of the biggest shames of our current and recent dip.  We need to be back with a vengeance and make up for lost time (big reason why many don't want Robbie to lead us as we don't see that passion from him) 

Auldbenches
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Certainly under Levein, it seemed information flowed out like water. 

I wonder if he kept the klaxon or sold it? 

Batistuta87
Just now, TheBigO said:

Fact is if he was on short term deal at any other Scottish club and now free agent, we'd probably be hoping we were speaking to him...

Only seen him play twice, but in those games he was pretty good. He broke up play, won the ball, was calm and composed... Quite like Haring tbh, but slightly more attack-minded.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
15 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

A lot of talk of him heading to Aberdeen unfortunately. He is a good player, it would certainly be a good one to have, 3 days before a cup final, pure fantasy but having watched Scotlands game repeat last week, anything can happen :)

2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Only seen him play twice, but in those games he was pretty good. He broke up play, won the ball, was calm and composed... Quite like Haring tbh, but slightly more attack-minded.

A base of those two, plus McEneff in front.  Sounds OK doesn't it.  As much as it's easy to label Pete as CDM, he's actually quite a forward thinking player in how he passes and can arrive late in box too.  Hmmmmm, yeah let's start that rumour.  See my next post.

Batistuta87
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

A base of those two, plus McEneff in front.  Sounds OK doesn't it.  As much as it's easy to label Pete as CDM, he's actually quite a forward thinking player in how he passes and can arrive late in box too.  Hmmmmm, yeah let's start that rumour.  See my next post.

Yeah agreed. I love Haring. Having two of him in the team would be superb lol.

Batistuta87
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

So, I just got wind that we're planning a swoop on Jackson Irvine.  See my post above.

😂

Will be on EdinburghLive this afternoon.

Edited by Batistuta87

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, TheBigO said:

So, I just got wind that we're planning a swoop on Jackson Irvine.  See my post above.

Someone mentioned when he signed for Hibs in January, it was short term and they were keeping him warm for someone else. Hope that was true :)

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Using that word comes with great responsibility, Mr O !

Edit: FFS Nookie, read the full post

Edited by Nookie Bear

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Using that word comes with great responsibility, Mr O !

Good enough word for Lou Reed, good enough word for me!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah agreed. I love Haring. Having two of him in the team would be superb lol.

Great combo, like my Buffalo Wings to start, then my steak, just need a dessert now, rather than a pudding obviously :)

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Someone mentioned when he signed for Hibs in January, it was short term and they were keeping him warm for someone else. Hope that was true :)

Well, I heard he's willing to come to us for less than Hibs have offered because, and I quote, "they give him the boak".

Won't reveal source, but I made this up.

In all seriousness, wonder what will happen with him.  Did he only sign 6 months as he hopes to get an English Champ club/OF?  It truly would be sensational if we nabbed him!

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Great combo, like my Buffalo Wings to start, then my steak, just need a dessert now, rather than a pudding obviously :)

Another steak.  Surely.

Batistuta87
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Hopefully we skip the pudding and go for a wee double Espresso...  

Jackson Irvine hadn’t played for a long time before he signed for them in January. I think he would like to go back down south. He wouldn’t want the hassle signing for us across the divide

SidewaysFitba

Not sure why people are expecting Hearts to sign players now.  It's only mid May, when did we sign players in mid May?🤷‍♂️

Don’t be surprised if in the next few days we hear the name Scott Robinson being linked with Hearts. 

SidewaysFitba
1 minute ago, goldie83 said:

Don’t be surprised if in the next few days we hear the name Scott Robinson being linked with Hearts. 

🤦‍♀️

jamboinglasgow
34 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I do remember one signing in the 2015/16 season where the website suddenly announced we had signed igor Rossi (I think) and there had no stories in the press, nothing rumoured on here. Maybe the only signing I have ever seen that since 2014.

Leveins Battalion
10 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

No chance.

13 minutes ago, SidewaysFitba said:

Not sure why people are expecting Hearts to sign players now.  It's only mid May, when did we sign players in mid May?🤷‍♂️

Very true. We return for training on the 22nd of June I think so I'd imagine we're talking the end of this month before anyone is announced. 

mellors1874
16 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

Signed a pre contract with Motherwell did he not 

1 minute ago, mellors1874 said:

Signed a pre contract with Motherwell did he not 

That was the rumour. Motherwell had a dig at announcing Declan Gallagher pre contract at Aberdeen before the season end so perhaps well are waiting until after cup final.

Edited by Newton51

StevenNaismith

The reason we aren’t seeing many leaks is purely down to Joe Savage and the processes he has put in place. You may get the odd leak a day or so before an announcement if the player is being shown around or having a medical etc. 

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Very true. We return for training on the 22nd of June I think so I'd imagine we're talking the end of this month before anyone is announced. 

Technically, the English Championship hasn't even finished yet either. Players will still be under contract (albeit, free to sign pre-contracts).

I'd imagine some players will be wanting to take a wee break before deciding their next move as well. 

Absolute Scenes
47 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Yup, making excuses about why they couldn't get promoted when the only reason was that they were rank rotten

Glad it’s not only me confused by mindset!

Absolute Scenes
49 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Hibby mate said he was expecting more from Irvine. Thinks newell is the better midfielder. 

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

The reason we aren’t seeing many leaks is purely down to Joe Savage and the processes he has put in place. You may get the odd leak a day or so before an announcement if the player is being shown around or having a medical etc. 

Joe MI5 Savage. 🧐

StevenNaismith
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Joe MI5 Savage. 🧐

Gone are the days of Craig Levein blabbing to everyone at the Oriam or Corals 😆

13 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I have a recollection that the players were only getting 2 weeks off, with the league cup starting in early July they're bound to be back well before 22nd June.

Rogue Daddy
Just now, StevenNaismith said:

Gutted!... but it's the right way to do things. I hope we get an announcement soon as I don't think some of us can cope for much longer without some scrap of information or rumour... no matter how small! 

scream.jpg

Batistuta87
Just now, fancy a brew said:

I have a recollection that the players were only getting 2 weeks off, with the league cup starting in early July they're bound to be back well before 22nd June.

You're right. RN was quoted saying some were getting no time off, some 1 week, nobody any more than 2 weeks. The full squad will be in on Monday. 

Rogue Daddy
1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

You're right. RN was quoted saying some were getting no time off, some 1 week, nobody any more than 2 weeks. The full squad will be in on Monday. 

Yeah, I remember Henderson saying he was only taking one week because he wanted to spend more time in the gym to get fitter for the season ahead.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

JJ made a big mistake not in the fact he signed Sutton but in the way he played him.  If he had watched how he scored goals for Motherwell it was by being in the box on the end of crosses not with his back to goal trying to be a target man.

The lesson here should be that you sign players that are best suited to the style of play and the way you set out your team. Do not expect every player to be able to adjust to an unfamiliar style of play to them as was the case with Sutton in my opinion of course.

That can be vindicated by the fact he went on to score goals again when he went back to Motherwell

Jeffries might well have made that mistake with Sutton but he only played three times for him so it’s hard to blame him for that. 
The best thing Sutton did was go on loan to let us get Beattie in and the rest is history. 
Happy Anniversary everyone.

6F959EEC-5DB7-4D04-B54A-C71D16646A6C.jpeg

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Gone are the days of Craig Levein blabbing to everyone at the Oriam or Corals 😆

Thankfully 

jamboinglasgow
7 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I think they were talking about 2 week break from set fitness work. I think the players were after 2 weeks get fitness and nutrition plans sent to them to carry out.

Batistuta87
6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think they were talking about 2 week break from set fitness work. I think the players were after 2 weeks get fitness and nutrition plans sent to them to carry out.

Yeah you're right actually - some were getting home programmes to follow so won't all be in on Monday. Some were to be in training the Monday after the last game.

Quite a lot will be back on Monday though. Ginnelly and Souttar to name two haven't stopped going in to Riccarton. Probably easy enough to guess who will be in doing intensive work and who will be allowed to do theirs from home. 

Edited by Batistuta87

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***