***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

Batistuta87
22 minutes ago, jambonian said:

There was just about enough there to offer him a reasonable crack at it if nothing else. It was only the Championship after all. I don't know why he wasn't given a chance but it would've saved another wage being plundered out of the coffers if they had. I doubt anyone would've expected him to be the be-all-and-end-all but sometimes a player just needs that opportunity.

Aye totally agree. Was so frustrating seeing us struggle without decent wingers, and to see Frear play the games he did and to do absolutely nothing for us whilst Moore was never given a chance. I actually bumped into him in The Range in Livingston one day when we were playing, he wasn't injured or anything, so he wasn't even getting near the bench and was obviously being told to stay home. 

Edited by Batistuta87

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

David Black
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

I still want Tshibola and Seedorf.

Tshibola would be a good number 8 type of midfielder similar to McEneff, maybe leaning slightly towards the defensive side, and I think the two of them would work well together. Pretty sure Bob signed him for MK Dons so would be surprised if he hasn't came up in conversation.

Seedorf fell away a bit at Motherwell but think that was more him not fitting into their style of play than being pish although I haven't really watched them much this season. I wouldn't mind having him playing high on the left wing with Kingsley (or Halliday at times) behind him. Always made me really nervous when he played against us anyway... 

Clarence Seedorf? A bit old now surely, even for us.

stevie1874
1 hour ago, jambonian said:

Offer them £350k plus Roberts and include a sell-on clause on any future transfer fee. Same with McGrath at St Mirren. Offer them £200k plus Popescu and future sell-on. That way they get two wads of cash in the end. While we're at it, go and get Dunne before he ends up at Preston. He's actually free!  

Don't ask? Don't get.

I think the people running the club need to come up with a couple of signings like this to try and get supporters back onside. If not then the pressure will mount when fans are allowed back in the ground. I hope we do but really can’t see it as the stand still has to be finished and financials from last season might dictate it’ll be journeymen to consolidate in the top league. 

58 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Oddly enough, haven't seen any clubs linked with him, apart from Scotsman linking him with Hibs, but then again, they link everyone back to Hibs. No sign of Man City, Liverpool, Bayern or other big hitters seeking his signature. 

Strange because experts on here rave about him, despite poor goal scoring record

They must be basing opinion on all the full Motherwell matches they have been watching. 

Suspect it's just building up so when he goes to English championship or 1st division, they can say we didn't do enough and we should have pushed boat out for him. 

If we did sign him, give it 10 minutes and he will be pish and waste of money. 

Experts, did you say?

Berra than you

You don't need to have watched full Motherwell games throughout the season to know Campbell would be a good palyer for us. Watching the occasional game, sportscene highlights, pundits, journos and well fans opinions all are good indicators. Plus of course his performances on past seasons. By all accounts, I have heard from a well supporting friend he's actually not been that brilliant this season, but he suspects that's due to him knowing he's going to be away.

3 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

You don't need to have watched full Motherwell games throughout the season to know Campbell would be a good palyer for us. Watching the occasional game, sportscene highlights, pundits, journos and well fans opinions all are good indicators. Plus of course his performances on past seasons. By all accounts, I have heard from a well supporting friend he's actually not been that brilliant this season, but he suspects that's due to him knowing he's going to be away.

A fair bit of doubt and hearsay in there.

TyphoonJambo
14 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Maybe the mystery player we've agreed a move with but not yet announced as we don't want to spoil his season?

Batistuta87
37 minutes ago, David Black said:

Clarence Seedorf? A bit old now surely, even for us.

Still got some first touch though. 

Berra than you
33 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

A fair bit of doubt and hearsay in there.

Well naturally. But I'd say fans who watch players week in and week out can generally tell if they are quality or not. As for the reason given for him underperforming, I appreciate that's just speculation.

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Tshibola would be a good number 8 type of midfielder similar to McEneff, maybe leaning slightly towards the defensive side, and I think the two of them would work well together. Pretty sure Bob signed him for MK Dons so would be surprised if he hasn't came up in conversation.

Seedorf fell away a bit at Motherwell but think that was more him not fitting into their style of play than being pish although I haven't really watched them much this season. I wouldn't mind having him playing high on the left wing with Kingsley (or Halliday at times) behind him. Always made me really nervous when he played against us anyway... 

Think they are the worst two potential signings on this thread.

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

They’d be renamed Pishbola and Sodoff by October.

13 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

I'm inclined to agree. Nowhere near good enough. We've got better players at the club already. 

3 hours ago, jambonian said:

I'd be shocked if we were! There's been enough talented players at other clubs these past few years that we could've went for. Problem is we want freebies, not promising younger players who have sell-on potential. Actually handing over a transfer fee for them  would be far too ambitious. Maybe if we'd spent money more wisely we wouldn't have been mid-table to relegation fodder and signed so many duds. Years ago, if a good player was potentially available the only teams could realistically lost out to was Rangers and Celtic. Now the Aberdeen's and Hibs' of this world have been quicker of the mark and a bit more ambitious. Motherwell seem to find some good players almost every season. At the moment, players like Cole and Long upfront, along with the likes of Campbell in the middle should get them some cash in. That's our target market along with the likes of McGrath at St Mirren and one or two St Johnstone type players.

It's a sad state of affairs but we just have to put up with it. The club needs to up their game, not bury their heads in the sand while others get on with it.

Good Post. 

john thomas
2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Oddly enough, haven't seen any clubs linked with him, apart from Scotsman linking him with Hibs, but then again, they link everyone back to Hibs. No sign of Man City, Liverpool, Bayern or other big hitters seeking his signature. 

Strange because experts on here rave about him, despite poor goal scoring record

They must be basing opinion on all the full Motherwell matches they have been watching. 

Suspect it's just building up so when he goes to English championship or 1st division, they can say we didn't do enough and we should have pushed boat out for him. 

If we did sign him, give it 10 minutes and he will be pish and waste of money. 

Pretty snidey , misinformed post

I , for one , don't pretend to be an expert but difficult not to recognise what Campbell brings to a team

From the first time I saw him he stood out . Think his goalscoring record is not far behind Scott Brown

Would love us to sign him but suspect he will go elsewhere

Batistuta87
22 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Okay 🤷🏻

john thomas
4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I wouldn't rule out Hibs, sadly. Decent money from their cup run and guaranteed Europe. 

Annoyingly they offer more than us just now which is a sad state of affairs.

Hope I'm wrong.

You may , sadly , be right but it is only temporary

TyphoonJambo
43 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

2 championship clubs have enquired about taking Harry stone on loan next season

Is one Hamilton?

55 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

2 championship clubs have enquired about taking Harry stone on loan next season

We’ll be fine we’ve got Stewart if Craigy gets injured

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

I usually like and agree with your transfer posts, but with this one you've been on the glue or missed a few days kip . 😜

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, jambonian said:

I'd be shocked if we were! There's been enough talented players at other clubs these past few years that we could've went for. Problem is we want freebies, not promising younger players who have sell-on potential. Actually handing over a transfer fee for them  would be far too ambitious. Maybe if we'd spent money more wisely we wouldn't have been mid-table to relegation fodder and signed so many duds. Years ago, if a good player was potentially available the only teams could realistically lost out to was Rangers and Celtic. Now the Aberdeen's and Hibs' of this world have been quicker of the mark and a bit more ambitious. Motherwell seem to find some good players almost every season. At the moment, players like Cole and Long upfront, along with the likes of Campbell in the middle should get them some cash in. That's our target market along with the likes of McGrath at St Mirren and one or two St Johnstone type players.

It's a sad state of affairs but we just have to put up with it. The club needs to up their game, not bury their heads in the sand while others get on with it.

Do we? What makes you think we don't want young players with sell-on potential. We went for Stuart Findlay. Before that Halkett and Souttar. We picked up McEneff. Primarily we want players to play for us. I don't want us to be like Hibs and pay 250 grand for someone and spend the next season trying to sell him. I'd like us to build a team and would rather we get a good 24 year old for 150k or something and have him for 3 years than have him for 1.5 and sell him for a couple of million. If we do that it's less likely we'll be able to build a team like the 98 cup winning team, that took 2-3 years to build.

Yes, we are largely operating in the freebie market like all clubs. We do pay a couple of hundred grand now and then though. Whether we can pay 350-500 for better players, who knows. But it's no guarantee of success. Aberdeen have been going backwards for 3 years and have been forking out large fees for the likes of McCrorie, who is a good player but who has not exactly made Aberdeen better. Hibs have spent a lot of money and may or may not win something. 7th then 3rd is not a great return otherwise.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

I usually like and agree with your transfer posts, but with this one you've been on the glue or missed a few days kip . 😜

Tshibola would be a nailed on decent signing and certainly an upgrade on Lee, Damour, Cochrane, maybe similar in ability and perhaps in some ways I would prefer him to Walker for his work rate and defensive ability. 

Seedorf I admit is a bit out of the box and needs a fair bit of work, but think there's some potential there that would be worth a gamble. Again an upgrade on Frear and co, and would be ideal backup to GMS and hopefully Ginnelly. 

Of course our mainstay players need to be better than both of them, but in terms of making up the numbers and adding some depth we could do far worse. 

Should be noted that I'm basing this on last season because I haven't watched either of them this season. 

I have missed a couple days kip though as it goes 😂

Edited by Batistuta87

Campbell is a possibility. It depends on whether they will accept a player in exchange for some of the development fee

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, john thomas said:

Pretty snidey , misinformed post

I , for one , don't pretend to be an expert but difficult not to recognise what Campbell brings to a team

From the first time I saw him he stood out . Think his goalscoring record is not far behind Scott Brown

Would love us to sign him but suspect he will go elsewhere

Okay, how many full games have you seen him play?

It's not snidey, it's being honest. I can't recall last time I watched Motherwell play a game unless v Hearts and in games v Hearts, I couldn't pick him out as special or worth the fuss. 

Hope we aren't accepting being highlighted on Sportscene as they think Doig and Porteous are world beaters. 

Ainsley Harriott
8 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Campbell is a possibility. It depends on whether they will accept a player in exchange for some of the development fee

😂😂

2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

😂😂

Given The fact that Roberts has played well for them, he might be right. 

Arthur Morgan
8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Would be nice if it increased our chances of getting him.

Just now, Arthur Morgan said:

Would be nice if it increased our chances of getting him.

Definitely. Decent chance they’ll want to keep Roberts so can’t do any harm. 

Batistuta87
11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

They can take their pick of a few let's be honest 😂

6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

They can take their pick of a few let's be honest 😂

😀 true but who else would they want. Halkett maybe if Gallagher is going. 

Batistuta87
8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

😀 true but who else would they want. Halkett maybe if Gallagher is going. 

Aye I thought Halkett would be a decent should, and would surely be valued at a decent amount as part of the deal. Damour too, but why would they want him. Popescu would be another I'd let them have.

Just now, Batistuta87 said:

Aye I thought Halkett would be a decent should, and would surely be valued at a decent amount as part of the deal. Damour too, but why would they want him. Popescu would be another I'd let them have.

Popescu maybe not a bad shout. 

Pasquale for King
55 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

You would imagine they’re expecting a decent fee if they’re giving away free season tickets. 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Lafferty. Why in the **** would we not have taken Kyle back

Because he’s a bit nutty would be my guess. Either that or the circumstances when he left rankles budge. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I wouldn't rule out Hibs, sadly. Decent money from their cup run and guaranteed Europe. 

Annoyingly they offer more than us just now which is a sad state of affairs.

Hope I'm wrong.

What money will they have got from this cup run? In two games this season against Hibs and Celtic in our games we’ll have earned more TV money IMO than Hibs have against the pissy teams they played.

Not to mention our £30 cup final ticket donation to FOH

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Because he’s a bit nutty would be my guess. Either that or the circumstances when he left rankles budge. 

In my opinion, if they want to get some back onside they should think again. Clubs need cult heroes

Pasquale for King

Regan Hendry looks good, might need to hit them gym a bit to get stronger. Can see the pass which is the basic thing for a midfielder and appears to be able to make it also. 

12 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Not wroth the reported trouble apparently 

don’t care what people say about the man he knows where the goal is and is a big game player would give him

a years deal next season 

Batistuta87
12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You would imagine they’re expecting a decent fee if they’re giving away free season tickets. 

The £3M they got for Turnbull too. Fair play to them. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Batistuta87 said:

The £3M they got for Turnbull too. Fair play to them. 

Yeah right enough the instalments will be due, fan owned clubs sorting out the most important people at any club, surely that won’t catch on. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

If they win it they will get a decent sum.

Let's hope they don't 

Finishing 3rd will not be sweeties and guaranteed Europe until Xmas won't be sweeties either I would think.

3rd and Europe are good points.

Although the chance of significant money via points will be slim.

27 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

We didn’t need him.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's not snidey, it's being honest. I can't recall last time I watched Motherwell play a game unless v Hearts and in games v Hearts, I couldn't pick him out as special or worth the fuss. 

Hope we aren't accepting being highlighted on Sportscene as they think Doig and Porteous are world beaters. 

Seen him play plenty, he dominates games. If you haven't seen him how can you comment on others thoughts?

john thomas
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No we aren't . I don't know how often I've seen him play but everytime I've seen him over 4[?] seasons he has looked exactly like the player we need

Hard to believe you haven't noticed him

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Seen him play plenty, he dominates games. If you haven't seen him how can you comment on others thoughts?

How many games does he dominate for team in 4th bottom? Not that many obviously. 

I admitted I hadn't seen him play loads of games, but didn't realise you followed Motherwell games on regular basis. I mean you wouldn't lie or exaggerate would you. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***