***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

He certainly sounds like less of a “project” than others we have taken a punt on. 

Agreed. He’s went down the divisions and seems to be on an upward trajectory and being only 23 would imagine with his contract expiring he’ll be moving up. Where to we’ll see.

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Agreed. He’s went down the divisions and seems to be on an upward trajectory and being only 23 would imagine with his contract expiring he’ll be moving up. Where to we’ll see.

A lot of English championship clubs were looking at him so has to be something about him

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m guessing 2 for each position is the desire. And if we’re getting Ginnelly they may be wondering if his injury may flare up. So Gibson, Ginnelly and GMS. Maybe another unless they think Henderson will make it.

Wasn't so much thinking in terms of we have enough wingers, just that in GMS we have what some might call a luxury player, lots of tricks that when they come off are great but prone to periods of poor form. From what I saw in that short clip he is so similar that it's doubtful that Neilson, especially, would want them in the same team. Would be another work in progress with potential. Not against him signing for us, from the clip he certainly looks skilful and direct. so exciting, just not sure he's someone we'd see a lot of in the team (unless he's better than GMS), at least not for a while.

BackOfTheNet
5 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Wasn't so much thinking in terms of we have enough wingers, just that in GMS we have what some might call a luxury player, lots of tricks that when they come off are great but prone to periods of poor form. From what I saw in that short clip he is so similar that it's doubtful that Neilson, especially, would want them in the same team. Would be another work in progress with potential. Not against him signing for us, from the clip he certainly looks skilful and direct. so exciting, just not sure he's someone we'd see a lot of in the team (unless he's better than GMS), at least not for a while.

Never heard of the guy until this morning so I have no idea of his all round play. Not sure if he’s just an attacking winger or if he presses or can do the defensive tracking back or not.

13 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Was at MK Dons when Neilson was there. And Neilson papped him out on loan.

Anyway, as always the obligatory...

Thought he was the goalkeeper given how many of the highlights were saves.

Looks mince 🤣

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, Alan_R said:

Thought he was the goalkeeper given how many of the highlights were saves.

Looks mince 🤣

Well if we do sign him at least you had the first insult on JKB

16 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Don't think anyone is saying he is. People need to remember that we need more than just first team payers at the moment and needs some future first teamers too. 

100% if we only sign for the here and now we can get trapped in a vicious cycle. Football is a business and we need to invest in up and coming talent. A few transfer fees could really help us advance the club, especially with this new tier of European competition. 

BelgeJambo

Every player mentioned on this thread has been slated in one way or another.  

to put things into perspective , did anyone think Paul Hartley, Colin Cameron or even Ruudi Skacel were wow signings at the time?

very quick to judge on here

36 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

to put things into perspective , did anyone think Paul Hartley, Colin Cameron or even Ruudi Skacel were wow signings at the time?

Good examples. Particularly Hartley, who wasn’t a popular signing at the time. 

Edited by GinRummy

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Good examples. Particularly Hartley, who wasn’t a popular signing at the time. 

Sure he got booed at half time when he came on the pitch (with Wyness maybe?) when he signed.

The players mentioned are all of the unknown bracket and not really inspiring but just have to wait and see eh. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
32 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Depends on how you judge 'slated'. Plenty players on this thread have been described as too expensive for Hearts. Is that slating them? Others have doubted a player's willingness to come to Hearts/Scotland. Is that slating them? Some have said a player is good but perhaps not what we're looking for or need right now. That's surely not slating him, either!

While I agree there's plenty of examples of players being slated on this thread, there's no way that every player mentioned has been unfairly judged or written off in a disparaging way, and for every Hartley, Cameron and Skacel we've seen come to Hearts in the past 20 or so years there's been at least 5 Damours, Roberts and Frears to dampen our hopes, too.

1 hour ago, OTT said:

100% if we only sign for the here and now we can get trapped in a vicious cycle. Football is a business and we need to invest in up and coming talent. A few transfer fees could really help us advance the club, especially with this new tier of European competition. 

Players only stay for a season or two. Different mind set nowadays. 

David Black
1 hour ago, BelgeJambo said:

You can add Pressley,Adam,Flogel. Even today Haring and Ginnelly. We need to sign younger players,not more older established ones and in doing that we may not have heard of them. 

1 hour ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Depends on how you judge 'slated'. Plenty players on this thread have been described as too expensive for Hearts. Is that slating them? Others have doubted a player's willingness to come to Hearts/Scotland. Is that slating them? Some have said a player is good but perhaps not what we're looking for or need right now. That's surely not slating him, either!

While I agree there's plenty of examples of players being slated on this thread, there's no way that every player mentioned has been unfairly judged or written off in a disparaging way, and for every Hartley, Cameron and Skacel we've seen come to Hearts in the past 20 or so years there's been at least 5 Damours, Roberts and Frears to dampen our hopes, too.

1 hour ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Bit unfair to include  Frear - a guy on a one year contract for the championship and he was a bit crap but not awful at that level. One or two year contracts are Ok for guys to see if they work out.  We have had some very poor loan signings though - Perreira, Smith-Brown, Randall etc.

The main rotten signings all on 3 years or more were : Oshinawa (RN), Sammon (RN), Martin (Cathro), Doyle (CL) and Damour (CL).  Not 5 times more duds than successes as we also signed Djoum,  Sow, Smith, Gordon, Souttar, Hickey and Gomis. Others had moments but not consistent enough (some with injuries) like Zlamal,  Berra, Haring, Ikpeazu and Naismith.

4 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Not itk or anything but i think we will sign some new players within weeks. You heard it here first 😉

😂you would like to think so

1 hour ago, David Black said:

You can add Pressley,Adam,Flogel. Even today Haring and Ginnelly. We need to sign younger players,not more older established ones and in doing that we may not have heard of them. 

I had heard of all of the first three before they signed. 

kingantti1874
12 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

All three of those players would be able to command £10-20k per week these days. 

BelgeJambo
2 hours ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Discarded? Is that a better assumption?

David Black
15 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I'd heard of Pressley, probably seen him, but none of the others I have mentioned. More to the point re Pressley was that when JJ first played him it was at RB and that was when people said he was rubbish. It was only when he was moved to CH, his proper position that people accepted him. Again people judge players to quickly.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 hour ago, tcjambo said:

Bit unfair to include  Frear - a guy on a one year contract for the championship and he was a bit crap but not awful at that level. One or two year contracts are Ok for guys to see if they work out.  We have had some very poor loan signings though - Perreira, Smith-Brown, Randall etc.

The main rotten signings all on 3 years or more were : Oshinawa (RN), Sammon (RN), Martin (Cathro), Doyle (CL) and Damour (CL).  Not 5 times more duds than successes as we also signed Djoum,  Sow, Smith, Gordon, Souttar, Hickey and Gomis. Others had moments but not consistent enough (some with injuries) like Zlamal,  Berra, Haring, Ikpeazu and Naismith.

Really wasn't the point I was making. The point I was making was that for every good signing we have made during the past 20 or so years there's been 5 bad, or not so good, signings. I just picked three random names of players no one loved.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
15 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Discarded? Is that a better assumption?

Yup. As in the suggestion itself was discarded (and sometimes the poster who made the suggestion was slated) rather than the player, himself being slated or ridiculed. 

Nookie Bear
10 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Really wasn't the point I was making. The point I was making was that for every good signing we have made during the past 20 or so years there's been 5 bad, or not so good, signings. I just picked three random names of players no one loved.

I think every club is guilty of that, except we seem to have also had more than our fair share of expensive duds. 

jamboinglasgow

Found this an interesting, only a little about Hearts (and mainly about the womens team (he was asked about that)) but gives insight into Savage's background, his approach to recruitment, his attitudes towards different things. 

Also talks about the 2013-14 play-off final v Hibs.

Also how that the easy part of recruitment is identifying players, its actually signing them that is difficult (gave lots of examples of being at Preston where so many factors can stop a transfer (from money, to player not liking the facilities to the players wife not wanting to move.) How he (and his recruitment staff) will use stats to help identify players but still prefer to send scouts to look at them after identifying it as they can get to find out more about a players personality which is factor on how they will adapt to a new club.

18 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Maybe In a few years.....maybe.

I want it and I want it now. 

8 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

That’s far too many players in the wrong positions. Left centre back is a must plus a real quality midfielder with energy.

Right back is a maybe depending on whether Cammy Logan can step in.

Left back is suitably covered by Kingsley and Halliday, possibly Leo Watson too.

Bringing in 3 centre backs is at least 1 too many depending on whether Halkett stays or not.

Kingsley, Halliday please go. Souttar is the only Centre Back I’d keep. So that would be another right sided Centre Back and 2 x Left footed Centre Backs. 2 x Left Backs competing for that position.

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Kingsley, Halliday please go. Souttar is the only Centre Back I’d keep. So that would be another right sided Centre Back and 2 x Left footed Centre Backs. 2 x Left Backs competing for that position.

Halliday was quite possibly our best player towards the end of the season.  He’s also very be of the few who works his ass off. 

So that’s  8 x defenders plus 3 Goalkeepers = 11.

4 x Wing Backs, 6 xMidfielders =12. 

4 x Strikers = 4

that gives you a squad of 25 First Team players and that 25 need to be good enough to shine in the Premiership.

Now if a youngster can break into the team and perform all the better.

12 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

So that’s  8 x defenders plus 3 Goalkeepers = 11.

4 x Wing Backs, 6 xMidfielders =12. 

4 x Strikers = 4

that gives you a squad of 25 First Team players and that 25 need to be good enough to shine in the Premiership.

Now if a youngster can break into the team and perform all the better.

Arithmetic is wee bit out there mate, you have a squad of 27 based on those numbers. No you don't, just noticed you put 12 instead of 10.

Edited by jambo_74

1 hour ago, David Black said:

I'd heard of Pressley, probably seen him, but none of the others I have mentioned. More to the point re Pressley was that when JJ first played him it was at RB and that was when people said he was rubbish. It was only when he was moved to CH, his proper position that people accepted him. Again people judge players to quickly.

Elvis played CH for Dundee Utd the year before he came to us.  I get your point though. 

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

All three of those players would be able to command £10-20k per week these days. 

Definitely 👍 always feel shan when you hear stories of the likes of Baggio working as a labourer these days when he would be loaded a decade later. 

Lochee Jambo

Rumours in Dundee are that Neilson wants Shankland at Hearts and is ready to test the United clubs reslove.

5 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

Hartley no, but Rudi was a Czech international and Cameron was highly sought after and Hearts only just got in ahead of Aberdeen. Their signings certainly "wowed" me!

Arthur Morgan
5 minutes ago, Lochee Jambo said:

Rumours in Dundee are that Neilson wants Shankland at Hearts and is ready to test the United clubs reslove.

:facepalm:

David Black
8 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Elvis played CH for Dundee Utd the year before he came to us.  I get your point though. 

He did and that was his position, but for a number of games at the start he played RB and was woeful. The difference was back then the support knew it was not his best position and did not right him off, unlike today when success has to be instant. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Difference between not knowing a player from seeing one and not rating them. 

The signings of 2005 were all superior in technical and physical ability, however we were shopping in a different market with money we never had

14 minutes ago, David Black said:

He did and that was his position, but for a number of games at the start he played RB and was woeful. The difference was back then the support knew it was not his best position and did not right him off, unlike today when success has to be instant. 

Fair dos 👍

kingantti1874

I think we should bud for shankland. He will score goals with the right service. And it would really really piss off utd fans which is always great

39 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Difference between not knowing a player from seeing one and not rating them. 

The signings of 2005 were all superior in technical and physical ability, however we were shopping in a different market with money we never had

Hey, we owned our own bank doncha remember!

1 hour ago, Lochee Jambo said:

Neilson loves shankland, however United will be demanding a a hefty fee especially to a club in Scotland which is unlikely we will be matching. All would depend on if the player decided to force it 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Jamboj1 said:

Neilson loves shankland, however United will be demanding a a hefty fee especially to a club in Scotland which is unlikely we will be matching. All would depend on if the player decided to force it 

I'm wondering about how much resistance United are able to put up, they've been operating at 130% wages to turnover for a while now and are promoting a youth coach rather than taking someone on to replace Mellon.

1 hour ago, Lochee Jambo said:

Can only see this happening if Boyce is leaving tbh

HillmanHearts
1 hour ago, sirwalter said:

Hartley no, but Rudi was a Czech international and Cameron was highly sought after and Hearts only just got in ahead of Aberdeen. Their signings certainly "wowed" me!

Yeah.

I mind being delighted with Cameron signing and totally invested in the general feel good factor when Rudi signed but maybe a bit underwhelmed about Hartley ( how wrong was that ! )
Think the thing is that we’ve had quite lot of high profile unsuccessful signings in recent years and folks are a bit sceptical.

While other less affluent clubs are perceived to be getting much better value for money.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

I think we should bud for shankland. He will score goals with the right service. And it would really really piss off utd fans which is always great

Yep, we have been well known for delivering the right service the past few years right enough!

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Yep, we have been well known for delivering the right service the past few years right enough!

So what you are suggesting is we shouldn’t bother trying to sign players who can take a a chance because, as you correctly point out, we don’t create enough chances. Just get Boyce, Ginelly and GMS to France as well. 

We could field a cracking team with only TWO new players. Campbell and Dunne, OK three if you include gino, but he was here last year

Gordon 

Smith

Dunne

Souttar

Kingsley 

Haring 

Campbell 

Mceneff 

Gino 

GMS

Boyce 

That would still leave a solid bench of gnando, stewart, brandon, Halkett, Henderson, halliday, Naismith and walker supplemented by a few youths 

Surely that's doable if you lose the wages of Damour, Lee, Wighton, Cochrane, white, Robert's, Frear, Kastaneer, Berra, popescu, Zlamal, Doyle 

Clerry Jambo
43 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Can only see this happening if Boyce is leaving tbh

Hope not mate Boycie will be a huge player for us next year with the squad as it is. We can’t lose our top players like Boycie soapy Gordon.

2 hours ago, Lochee Jambo said:

This has some miles 

Shankland is a boyhood Jambo I'm sure. There were rumours he was after him last season as well tbf, how long is left on his contract? If it's only a year I can see it happening

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***