2021 Scottish Parliament Election (Thursday 6th May 2021)

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Aberdeen East List vote (Salmond's list)

Aberdeenshire East (North East) List Vote:

Con ~ 15112 (36.8%, +6.1)

SNP ~ 14873 (36.2%, -7.4)

Lab ~ 3092 (7.5%, +1.1)

Lib Dem ~ 3007 (7.3%, -4.4)

Grn ~ 2326 (5.7%, +1.6)

Alba ~ 1235 (3%, +3)

AFU ~ 284 (0.7%, +0.7)

Others ~ 1143 (2.8%, -0.8)

Alba really has backfired (if Salmond genuinely wanted it to help with a supermajority)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• sadj

• Unknown user

• ri Alban

Just now, Barack said:

Welsh Language Act.

👍🏻 Knew youd have a sensible response

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Was discussing the fact the Welsh seats are announced in Welsh and English but no seats up here seem to be announced in Gaelic and English

The Western Isles was done yesterday. Obviously the BBC graphics person can't speak Gaelic. They had no idea what was going on. 

dobmisterdobster
1 minute ago, sadj said:

Was discussing the fact the Welsh seats are announced in Welsh and English but no seats up here seem to be announced in Gaelic and English

Na h-Eileanan an lar (Stornoway) is always announced in Gaelic first.

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

They won't break up, they would lose their Trade Union slush fund.

It might be them that push it. 

4 minutes ago, dtgj said:

The Western Isles was done yesterday. Obviously the BBC graphics person can't speak Gaelic. They had no idea what was going on. 

👍🏻

3 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Na h-Eileanan an lar (Stornoway) is always announced in Gaelic first.

Thanks , good to know. I don’t think its something for all seats up here but some i think it should.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

It happens occasionally.

lol , ach thats a bit harsh thats at least twice in the time iv enjoyed your friendship. Also two more times than Manbun boi

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, sadj said:

Quite liking Kate Forbes 👌🏻

I was thinking that too, bit religious though 🙈

dobmisterdobster

Off topic for a second. Very proud of how well Shaun Bailey has done in London.

The Tories put no resources into him. He was a paper candidate but he has vastly outperformed expectations.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I was thinking that too, bit religious though 🙈

That would just mean she hid any sexuality that wasnt heterosexual and that she’d be filth. Thats how religion works isnt it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

The Tories put no resources into him. He was a paper candidate but he has vastly outperformed expectations.

Did i read that Jeremy Corbyns brother is getting beating by buckethead? 

dobmisterdobster
1 minute ago, sadj said:

Count Binface. The original Buckethead before he lost the rights to the character.

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

So far yes. Was hoping Count Binface would beat Laurence Fox too but sadly not so far. 

Footballfirst

SNP Hold Perthshire South (SNP's most marginal seat)

Edited by Footballfirst

Francis Albert
9 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I have been impressed by him. 

5 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Count Binface. The original Buckethead before he lost the rights to the character.

Haha didnt know that , will need to google it.

4 minutes ago, dtgj said:

So far yes. Was hoping Count Binface would beat Laurence Fox too but sadly not so far. 

Amazing

Right someone explain how the swingnin Perthshire South was Lab to Con when most theyve been posting as SNP to Cons 🤔 SNP and Cons both up 3% but they say swing to Cons from Labour. 

17 minutes ago, sadj said:

Cannae beat a bit of buckethead 

10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

SNP Hold Perthshire South (SNP's most marginal seat)

With an increased majority. This was a seat that the Tories thought they could win after Roseanna Cunningham had held it for 22 years.

Andrew Fairlie's brother Jim has won for the SNP.

jamboy1982
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Jean Freeman's views on tactical voting

Disgraceful behaviour from any labour voter who has lent a vote to the tories. They should hang their heads in shame. 

Just now, jamboy1982 said:

Disgraceful behaviour from any labour voter who has lent a vote to the tories. They should hang their heads in shame. 

Absolute filth. 

1 minute ago, jamboy1982 said:

But I thought there was no difference between the Tories and the Red Tories?

27 minutes ago, sadj said:

Haha didnt know that , will need to google it.

Amazing

Right someone explain how the swingnin Perthshire South was Lab to Con when most theyve been posting as SNP to Cons 🤔 SNP and Cons both up 3% but they say swing to Cons from Labour. 

It wasn't Labour held it was SNP and the Tories thought they could win it.

This is what happened.

Jim Fairlie has won Perthshire South and Kinross-shire for the SNP.

The seat, which was held by Roseanna Cunningham for 22 years, was the SNP's most marginal in 2016.

It was the Scottish Conservatives' top target.

Mr Fairlie increased the SNP majority to 1,848.

Counting complete

Change compared with 2016

1. snp.svgScottish National Party,Jim Fairlie

Votes 20,126Share 45.7%Share change +3.3
  2. scottish_conservative.svgConservative,Liz Smith

Votes 18,178Share 41.2%Share change +2.8
  3. labour.svgLabour,Janine Rennie

Votes 2,943Share 6.7%Share change -2.7
  4. liberal_democrats.svgLiberal Democrat,Julia Brown

Votes 2,823Share 6.4%Share change -1.9

Edited by wavydavy

doctor jambo
10 minutes ago, pablo said:

Blue tories, red tories, and the party formerly known as the tartan tories by labour voters before they switched en masse.

I thought Scotland didn’t like the tories?

seems we all vote for them in one form or another😊

The SNP's Michael Matheson has held Falkirk West with an increased majority of 11,839 over Labour,

11 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

It wasn't Labour held it was SNP and the Tories thought they could win it.

This is what happened.

Jim Fairlie has won Perthshire South and Kinross-shire for the SNP.

The seat, which was held by Roseanna Cunningham for 22 years, was the SNP's most marginal in 2016.

It was the Scottish Conservatives' top target.

Mr Fairlie increased the SNP majority to 1,848.

Counting complete

Change compared with 2016

1. snp.svgScottish National Party,Jim Fairlie

Votes 20,126Share 45.7%Share change +3.3
  2. scottish_conservative.svgConservative,Liz Smith

Votes 18,178Share 41.2%Share change +2.8
  3. labour.svgLabour,Janine Rennie

Votes 2,943Share 6.7%Share change -2.7
  4. liberal_democrats.svgLiberal Democrat,Julia Brown

Votes 2,823Share 6.4%Share change -1.9

Yeah i know that davy , thats why i asked the question of why the BBC said it was a swing from Labour to Conservative 🤷🏻‍♂️

6 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

SNP vote percentage seems to have peaked and doesn’t look to me enough to give them the confidence to push forward with another Indy Ref. 

Given that the correlation between voting for a certain party and wanting independence or not is not 100%, it's the independence poll figures that will be crucial in making the decision for an indy ref, imo. Those in favour of independence should wait until there is consistent and prolonged clear water between Yes and No. Anything else risks another failure in the vote which would could wreck the chances of independence for a very long time.

Mars plastic
39 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Jean Freeman's views on tactical voting

Mind last year when FagAsh Freeman offered to go and pick up some activist's messages for her ma? Bless.

hughesie27
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Given that the correlation between voting for a certain party and wanting independence or not is not 100%, it's the independence poll figures that will be crucial in making the decision for an indy ref, imo. Those in favour of independence should wait until there is consistent and prolonged clear water between Yes and No. Anything else risks another failure in the vote which would could wreck the chances of independence for a very long time.

Agreed. Would be happy with consisten 55/45 though.

Just now, hughesie27 said:

Agreed. Would be happy with consisten 55/45 though.

Indeed. A consistent 55-45 would be grand.

1 hour ago, sadj said:

One did yesterday. Gaelic first, the in English. I assume it was Na H-Eileanan na iar (apologies for my spelling)

22 minutes ago, sadj said:

Yeah i know that davy , thats why i asked the question of why the BBC said it was a swing from Labour to Conservative 🤷🏻‍♂️

👍

Shanks said no

Angela Constance started her political career in Livingston, standing for West Lothian Council, remember this lassie coming to my door and being surprised she was the candidate. Six years younger than me. Has been interesting watching how she has changed appearance over the years.

Stevenson's departure offers opportunity for women - Go Lassie GoEducation Secretary Angela Constance visited St Marys Editorial Stock Photo  - Stock Image | ShutterstockAngela Constance - Wikipedia

coconut doug
47 minutes ago, pablo said:

3 hours ago, pablo said:

Assuming nothing significant happens during the lifetime of the next Parliament, it looks like Tactical voting could play a major role in 5 years time.

Separatists appear to be waking up to both votes SNP being a waste and with a credible second party in the regional, they could get the super majority.

Pro UK voters will have seen that with a bit of organisation between the split support, putting country before party could easily skittle dozens of SNP constituencies.

Could be very interesting.

Answered your own question before you asked it. That's why we need a referendum to stop this ludicrous "tactical" voting. The more refined it becomes the more it resembles a referendum anyway. 

Pasquale for King

Lib Dem MP Wendy Chamberlain “I wouldn’t advise Boris Johnson to do anything”, sorry but that’s your job I’m afraid. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Angela Constance started her political career in Livingston, standing for West Lothian Council, remember this lassie coming to my door and being surprised she was the candidate. Six years younger than me. Has been interesting watching how she has changed appearance over the years.

Stevenson's departure offers opportunity for women - Go Lassie GoEducation Secretary Angela Constance visited St Marys Editorial Stock Photo  - Stock Image | ShutterstockAngela Constance - Wikipedia

I’ve had a few interactions with her and she seems to be a down to earth individual. Suits the dark hair imo. 

indianajones
3 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Met her as well. 

Seems like a decent person. 

Pasquale for King

Dunfermline saving Fife’s bacon after another vote for wee Willie yesterday. 

13 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

👍

Wasnt a snidey reply , may have come across like that if it did apologies.

17 minutes ago, Boris said:

One did yesterday. Gaelic first, the in English. I assume it was Na H-Eileanan na iar (apologies for my spelling)

👍🏻👌🏻

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’ve had a few interactions with her and she seems to be a down to earth individual. Suits the dark hair imo. 

4 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Met her as well. 

Seems like a decent person. 

Agree,certainly was a good councillor when she represented us.

15 minutes ago, sadj said:

Wasnt a snidey reply , may have come across like that if it did apologies.

👍🏻👌🏻

No problem. I didn't take it the wrong way.

JimmyCant
6 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

I'd say having to only convince 3 or 4% of the electorate to switch to your side if pretty attainable goal.

I agree it’s attainable. But my point would be, when you tot up the popular votes in the country, there is a good possibility that pro union parties will have polled more votes than pro Indy parties. To me that’s not a mandate.

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Any future Scexit vote will need to be subject to a confirmatory referendum too, based on a negotiated deal with rUK. That way, rather than being presented with a White Paper wish list, most of which has now been proved to be a combination of distortion, half-truths and one-sided aims, the people will know the economic and social reality of separation.  Most democrats would surely agree?

When is the confirming vote for Brexit ? 🤔 

coconut doug
5 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

They don’t put forward the answers because they don’t have any not because they will be picked apart by clever unionists.  The best currency for Scotland will one that reflects the strengths and weaknesses of Scotland and offers us the greatest level of control i.e our own currency. I believe that is the currrent policy/answer.

How exactly will be able to maintain current level of spending without material tax hikes?  In an independent Scotland taxes will be paid to the Scottish treasury and not the UK. Government related functions that generate taxation for the UK and are currently allocated to London will relocate to Scotland or alternatives will be created. We would be certain to benefit from from financial services relocating to Scotland from London to gain unfettered access to the EU.

Given the likely tax hikes how to we avoid a talent drain. We train our own people to do well remunerated jobs and just like Scandinavia people will appreciate that good services have to be paid for. People are free to move elsewhere though should they wish but where could they go if they don't have the right to reside in the EU?

How exactly would we avoid a hard border ? And Join the EU? The reality is the EU would demand that issue be sorted before it was even an option to rejoin the EU.  In the same way other countries have.Our border with England would be the same as UK's is with the EU now would it not or the same as Ireland's has always been with the UK. There would have to be some checks to stop smuggling and other forms of criminality but surely that's agood thing. Currently it seems UK is letting anything and everything into our country. i've not heard of problems for EU exporters to the EU.

or do we just accept a hard border? And need a visa to visit friends and family and travel to our jobs.  We dont currently need visas to visit the EU and EU citizens are not required to produce visas for most countries in the world. The UK as it is now no longer in the EU is finding that its citizens will now have to produce visas to enter countries they could previously enter freely. RUK could not impose visas on Scots without imposing them on all of the EU. That's how it works - solidarity.

As a very small nation How do we join the EU and not adopt the Euro. We have zero leverage. We dont have to join the Euro - you know this, see Sweden Croatia etc

One of our biggest industries is retail banking. How can retail banking survive in Scotland when 95% of customers are in the rest of the U.K. ?  I'm not sure retail banking is one of our biggest industries but i am certain that the figure is not 95%. There is a great deal of selling across the UK according to the government  https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/200491/scotland_analysis_financial_services_and_banking_200513.pdf Scotland does not participate at all in some areas and i'm not sure where the monetary value lies or even the jobs since the report doesn't tell us.  The retail function is presumably largely operated through call centres and will be the lower grade, less well paid elements of the industry. 

I could go on and on and on I'm sure you could but would it make any sense?

I don’t fall into the camp that Scotland is too wee or not capable, I believe Scotland absolutely could stand on its own but it will take decades, it would be extremely tough for every for a very long time whilst Scotland rebuilds every corner of its economy to resolve the challenges it would face.  This Union is far deeper, far more complex and far more emotional than our ties with the EU ever were ( I was very much pro EU and anti brexit ) There is an absolute risk that we could see the same divisions and possibly even violence that has plagued Ireland for half a century. Like it or not a massive proportion of the country fee British and if it’s ripped away then people better be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Which parts of Scotland's economy do you think need to be rebuilt? If we dont get Indy who is going to rebuild it anyway and what evidence do you have that shows recent UK governments are willing to or capable of rebuilding the economy? Are you suggesting that we should avoid indy because the Rangers supporters might turn nasty again?

The SNP have somehow convinced a large slice of the country that very thing will be rosy in the garden - I say somehow but that’s not really accurate given they’ve deliberately carpet bombed the young and naive with false propaganda .  Better to promise lots of free things you can’t deliver rather than face into the hard questions right.

I missed the bit where the SNP told us everything in the garden will be rosy. Similarly missed the propaganda aimed at the young. I'm also not sure about promised freebies that didn't materialise, i thought the problem was that they did happen. 

For me personally, any hint of independence and my property is on the market and I’m out. My job will partly dictate this given but equally I absolutely refuse to foot the bill for it. I’m absolutely sick to death of killing myself with work as it is, paying for free everything and I refuse to pay any more. 

I think there's more than a hint. If you don't want to pay for things like education, health and social care i really couldn't advise you where to go. Most western democracies already spend a higher proportion of their national wealth on health and education than we do. 

skinnybob72
22 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

There should be a law  against people choosing who they vote for 

If SNP gain a majority you never know...

Shanks said no

Meanwhile down south A "confusing" ballot paper is being blamed for more than 56,000 rejected ballots in London's mayoral election.

That's 5% of the vote