New manager incoming ( merged )

Hendolad

5 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

Seen this mentioned as a defence of Stendel on a few occasions however that is one of his failures. In our position when he joined it was, at best, extremely naive of him to try and make such drastic changes to the playing style when the squad was crap and low on confidence. It showed a lack of experience on Stendels part to attempt this in the state we were in. 

What was he to do? Keep playing the negative pish Levein was doing that took us to the bottom of the table?

I really enjoyed Stendel's attacking tactics. We came from behind which was alien that season under Levein. The form table showed Stendel was on track to keep us up while Ross County were in free fall. The post split games are 6 pointers and he never got to play them.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• sadj

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

OK.....that's fine I respect your viewpoint

But to constantly compare Stendel short, abridged season to Neilson's, long term stabilised season is ......well it's tedious IMO!

I agree.  Need to move on from Stendel. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

Seen this mentioned as a defence of Stendel on a few occasions however that is one of his failures. In our position when he joined it was, at best, extremely naive of him to try and make such drastic changes to the playing style when the squad was crap and low on confidence. It showed a lack of experience on Stendels part to attempt this in the state we were in. 

Not sure if it was a lack of experience. Rather, it was a quick way of finding out who could and couldn't play his style. At that point, he had time and games. If he had known a pandemic would cut the season short then who knows? Mind you, Budge might have stuck with Levein if anyone had seen that coming.

3 minutes ago, SuperPippo said:

Right now I believe he is best man for job because I believe in continuity in a football team.  I could be wrong but that’s my gut feel at the moment. 

Fair enough. Continuity is often a good thing but it’s a disaster if the wrong man is in charge. All about opinions  but how any hearts fan who has watched most games this season can look forward to more of the same is surprising to say the least. 

Edited by GinRummy

1 minute ago, kila said:

What was he to do? Keep playing the negative pish Levein was doing that took us to the bottom of the table?

I really enjoyed Stendel's attacking tactics. We came from behind which was alien that season under Levein. The form table showed Stendel was on track to keep us up while Ross County were in free fall. The post split games are 6 pointers and he never got to play them.

Everyone enjoys attacking football but we didn't have the personnel to do what he wanted to do effectively. He could have made changes but not as drastically. 

Can't disagree about the form table however Ross County had the points on the board that we would have unlikely clawed back. Especially when we had showed no improvement against the teams around us in the league. The form table would have included the wins against rangers and Hibs, both of whom we would not have been playing again for the remainder of the campaign had it been completed. 

Just now, fast_blood said:

Everyone enjoys attacking football but we didn't have the personnel to do what he wanted to do effectively. He could have made changes but not as drastically. 

Can't disagree about the form table however Ross County had the points on the board that we would have unlikely clawed back. Especially when we had showed no improvement against the teams around us in the league. The form table would have included the wins against rangers and Hibs, both of whom we would not have been playing again for the remainder of the campaign had it been completed. 

Anyway... Neilson out.

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Fair enough. Continuity is often a good thing but it’s a disaster if the wrong man is in charge. All about opinions  but how any hearts fan who has watched most games this season can look forward to more of the same is surprising to say the least. 

If we play 4-2-3-1 with Popescu, Halkett, Irving and Halliday as the central defence and midfield 4 then we are in trouble.  And Neilson should be sacked for attempting that in the premier league.  But with Souttar and Haring back and the 3-4-3 formation even a blind man can see how so much better we are.  If Neilson changes then agree he should be on his way but hopefully we have progressed beyond that now 

Rogue Daddy
31 minutes ago, tynewater said:

Out of interest, what evidence do you have that supports this claim? Agree Stendel took over in difficult circumstances, but he totally failed to improve things, in fact based on actual results he made things worse. So, other than your "gut feel", what on earth do you base this claim on? 

Robbie, who many on here make out to be some sort of footballing antichrist, also took over in difficult circumstances. He has improved our results, and whilst we clearly have a lot of scope for improvement, many on here want him gone. Must confess to being baffled as to how Robbie is a terrible manager yet Stendel was the "right guy at the wrong time", when even a brief look at results clearly indicates this isn't 

46 minutes ago, tynewater said:

Out of interest, what evidence do you have that supports this claim? Agree Stendel took over in difficult circumstances, but he totally failed to improve things, in fact based on actual results he made things worse. So, other than your "gut feel", what on earth do you base this claim on? 

Robbie, who many on here make out to be some sort of footballing antichrist, also took over in difficult circumstances. He has improved our results, and whilst we clearly have a lot of scope for improvement, many on here want him gone. Must confess to being baffled as to how Robbie is a terrible manager yet Stendel was the "right guy at the wrong time", when even a brief look at results clearly indicates this isn't the case.

Oh jeez.... what do I base it on? Apart from what’s stated above, prior to the season being curtailed, IMO, we had turned a corner. From the turn of the year we had lost 3, drawn 5, won 5. Ross County were in free fall and we still had to play them twice. We would have stayed up, I’ve no doubt about it. 
So I don’t agree he made things worse, or his results were worse... did you even watch any of the games when he was in charge? Maybe YOU should take a brief look at his results. Like I said, we were getting better, the players were coming round to his thinking. Instead, after giving up his wage when the pandemic hit, AB chose to relieve him and appoint RN... before telling him! He was treated pretty badly. 

After all that I backed Robbie... so please tell where I stated he was a terrible manager. 

5 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

When is the new manager incoming?

2nd week in November 

Libertonian_II

While we might have escaped relegation under Stendel had the season continued, he was in charge when we got beat by St midden which kinda sealed our fate. He didn't improve us at all

1 minute ago, SuperPippo said:

If we play 4-2-3-1 with Popescu, Halkett, Irving and Halliday as the central defence and midfield 4 then we are in trouble.  And Neilson should be sacked for attempting that in the premier league.  But with Souttar and Haring back and the 3-4-3 formation even a blind man can see how so much better we are.  If Neilson changes then agree he should be on his way but hopefully we have progressed beyond that now 

If we were to get a new manager they would have Souttar and Haring available as well. It’s the tactics as well as the players imo. It’s also completely failing to motivate players for run of the mill games. The away tactics in particular are absolutely tragic. 2 holding midfielders and full backs not going over the half way line for trips to Arbroath and Greenock. I shudder to think how we’ll approach games away from home next campaign. We might start ok but as soon as we lose a game we will gradually get more and more defensive, striker isolated, sideways, safety first passing and rigid formations with players not allowed to express themselves. Then we will slump and he hasn’t got the nous to get out of a slump. All imo of course. 

Rogue Daddy
42 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Mainly due to Stendel taking over an utter shitshow and trying to get that utter shitshow to play in a different style.

He also gets sympathy as he was shafted the most by the demotion. If we had played 38 games he would have been judged fairly either way.

👍 100%

Rogue Daddy
50 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Gawd, not another one!

Why do we always need to bring Stendel into the conversation to justify Neilson?

Improved our results?.....Drink is not for you tynewater...... 

😂😂😂

Rogue Daddy
7 minutes ago, Libertonian_II said:

While we might have escaped relegation under Stendel had the season continued, he was in charge when we got beat by St midden which kinda sealed our fate. He didn't improve us at all

That was a killer result... he had a couple of bad ones, no question. But from the turn of the year his results had got better. Certainly better than the teams around us. Just a case of ‘what might have been’ for me. But we’ll never know. 

14 minutes ago, Libertonian_II said:

There wasn’t much difference between that performance and many of our showings this season. Except we were playing worse sides.  

38 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Do you think Robbie is the best manager Hearts could get for next season?

Given that we've won the Championship and are currently 11 points ahead of the 2nd placed side, I think sticking with Robbie gives us a good chance of having a decent next season. I'm not in favour of chopping and changing managers in a search for the "ideal" one, whom we rarely if ever find. I accept Robbie may fail next season, but so may any other one we might bring in to replace him. I doubt you could name me a manager who we could realistically get who would be guaranteed to do better than Robbie would. They are all a gamble.

One other aspect about sacking Robbie - how much would it cost? It'd be hard to think of an employee with a more rock-solid case for unfair dismissal than a manager who's just won the league he's in by a country mile.

6 minutes ago, tynewater said:

Given that we've won the Championship and are currently 11 points ahead of the 2nd placed side, I think sticking with Robbie gives us a good chance of having a decent next season. I'm not in favour of chopping and changing managers in a search for the "ideal" one, whom we rarely if ever find. I accept Robbie may fail next season, but so may any other one we might bring in to replace him. I doubt you could name me a manager who we could realistically get who would be guaranteed to do better than Robbie would. They are all a gamble.

One other aspect about sacking Robbie - how much would it cost? It'd be hard to think of an employee with a more rock-solid case for unfair dismissal than a manager who's just won the league he's in by a country mile.

That’s the difference between you and I. You think he may fail and I have a much stronger feeling that he will. 

We would need to pay up his contract if he left. There is no unfair dismissal in those circumstances. 

9 minutes ago, tynewater said:

Unfair dismissal ? 

In any case , 2 months donations from FOH should be more than  enough to bin  the lot of them. There's no shortage of FOH cash. 

Mars plastic
10 minutes ago, tynewater said:

You’re at it. 

42 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I see English football is having a co-ordinated social media blackout to take a stand against racism.

As noble as the sentiment is, will this really make any difference to anything?

30 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

At least Stendel has a valid excuse as to why hearts got demoted, what's Robbie's? he had an extra man and still couldn't get the job done. 

Then he managed to feck up the Scottish Cup Final even though, we were virtually being handed the cup by Celtic. 

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Unfair dismissal ? 

In any case , 2 months donations from FOH should be more than  enough to bin  the lot of them. There's no shortage of FOH cash. 

Yes the money is just pouring in these days. Never been better 

1 hour ago, leginten said:

Yes. This is the big worry. Budge will risk yet another season being written off because she’s either too stupid or too stubborn (or both) to realise we’re going nowhere under Neilson. Roll up for the Budge time machine, folks. Next stop: autumn 2019.

Or... we’ve seen (very tentatively) the difference soutter makes to the back four...and Logan...and Mceneff.

plug Ginnelly into that.

plus one or two quality signings.

I do think we’re close to a decent team

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yes the money is just pouring in these days. Never been better 

£120k per month into the club from FOH - plenty of cash available for sackings. 

Rogue Daddy
13 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Or... we’ve seen (very tentatively) the difference soutter makes to the back four...and Logan...and Mceneff.

plug Ginnelly into that.

plus one or two quality signings.

I do think we’re close to a decent team

Yeah, I’m of the opinion we’ve got a decent team also... man for man, probably better than half in the premier league... it’s consistency that’s been lacking this season. After the Brora and QoS games, I was convinced RN had lost the dressing room. But it’s the consistency that’s worrying me for next season. Our bad performances have been eerily similar to some from last season. 

Edited by Rogue Daddy

54 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

2nd week in November 

Shouldn’t laugh but did

My personal feeling with RN is that next season we’ll all be pee’d off with us being 3rd in the table...

16 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

£120k per month into the club from FOH - plenty of cash available for sackings. 

That’s the only money coming in though. Heard of a pandemic? No cross at football@. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

That’s the only money coming in though. Heard of a pandemic? No cross at football@. 

Your sarcasm and desire to have the last word is admirable. Fact is, £1.5 million p a is going into the club that shouldn't be regarded as "income".  Plenty of cash available to pay them all off before it's too late. 

siegementality

A new manager is still incoming? Right? FFS please don’t tell me Neilson is not being punted!!!

The more time goes on the more obvious it is he isn't going anywhere. We're going to end up exactly where we were last season. The fact we're out of the championship is obviously enough for Budge. I have sheer dread for next season.

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yeah, I’m of the opinion we’ve got a decent team also... man for man, probably better than half in the premier league... it’s consistency that’s been lacking this season. After the Brora and QoS games, I was convinced RN had lost the dressing room. But it’s the consistency that’s worrying me for next season. Our bad performances have been eerily similar to some from last season. 

Yeah, that is where to me the concern is.

But I also wonder if it is a hangover of our squads make up. Specifically with how the players respond to losing the first goal and need to respond. Over the last two seasons we have had 28 games where we have conceded first. We have only gone on to win the game twice (against Hibs and Rangers last season,) drawn 7 times and lost 19 games. This season alone we have never won when we lost the 1st goal of the game, drawing 3 times and losing 4 times.

There is not enough players in the team who can dig deep and fire the team up to fight fully back. That is a big thing we need in the summer. We have so often conceded in the first 20 mins (often due to our own mistakes) and left to fight uphill for the rest of the game.

3 hours ago, Hashimoto said:

What if the DoF wants someone in who he has worked previously with suddenly becomes available for hire?
It's a big if, but it might just be the answer to all Ann Budge's problems at this time!

Oh, FFS give it a rest.

Geoff Kilpatrick
41 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah, that is where to me the concern is.

But I also wonder if it is a hangover of our squads make up. Specifically with how the players respond to losing the first goal and need to respond. Over the last two seasons we have had 28 games where we have conceded first. We have only gone on to win the game twice (against Hibs and Rangers last season,) drawn 7 times and lost 19 games. This season alone we have never won when we lost the 1st goal of the game, drawing 3 times and losing 4 times.

There is not enough players in the team who can dig deep and fire the team up to fight fully back. That is a big thing we need in the summer. We have so often conceded in the first 20 mins (often due to our own mistakes) and left to fight uphill for the rest of the game.

Easiest solution to this is getting rid of Halkett and Popescu.

7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Oh, FFS give it a rest.

Oh dear, upsetting the Phoodle apologists again I see.....

Jambof3tornado

Get him out the door as soon as the last game is played.

Eye bleeding football the majority of the season with an occasional blip like yesterday where we play well for 45 minutes, and only when teams come at us.

2 early cup exits and the worst result in our history and some folk think coz we won the championship he should stay on?!?!

8 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Your sarcasm and desire to have the last word is admirable. Fact is, £1.5 million p a is going into the club that shouldn't be regarded as "income".  Plenty of cash available to pay them all off before it's too late. 

But at the moment there’s virtually no other money coming in to the Club. 

siegementality
8 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Oh, FFS give it a rest.

That works both ways.

Ainsley Harriott
10 hours ago, fast_blood said:

2nd week in November 

I'm going for 1st week January. She will sack Rob in october then put 45 managers through a 3 month interview process 

34 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Eye bleeding football the majority of the season with an occasional blip like yesterday where we play well for 45 minutes, and only when teams come at us.

2 early cup exits and the worst result in our history and some folk think coz we won the championship he should stay on?!?!

Fans forum in 'people have difference of opinion' shocker. 

9 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I know there’s a pandemic but many financially obsessed fans get in a tizzy about pay offs.   Managers have been sacked and replaced 

on a whim for forever and a day. 

I can’t say for certain but I’d imagine in the contract there’ll be some agreement to a phased pay off allowing the club to stretch whatever is left on the contract? Unless of course the money is there just to get it done there and then.

There was no qualms about emptying Stendel.

38 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

He has to go.

Club will never move forwards with the negativity he brings on and off the pitch.

Clerry Jambo
1 minute ago, Plato said:

Robbies body language and what he is predicting for some players next year tells me he is going nowhere.

Yip certainly not acting like a man ready to be ejected!!

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Neilson has irritated the **** out of me this season.

His interviews after bad results are insulting and cliched (and basically lies).

He can’t work out how to beat teams that are defensive against us. And we are vulnerable against teams that properly get in our faces.

That being said it is notable what difference the addition of effectively 2 new signings has made to the effectiveness and attractiveness of our football.

Better players in the team - Logan, and Souttar - and a tweak to our defence has made a difference in 2 out of 3 games. That being said so has the fact, I think, that in those 2 games the other team had to try and win the game may probably have made a difference also.

I don’t know what this means for next season as we will have more games where the other team at least will be trying to beat us, but the quality of how they do that will be better...

(although I do take the view that bottom 6 SPL are not really any better than top half Championship - even with how pish the Champs teams have been).

in his last few games first time out he made a tweak in the role Djoum played. Him and Bjorn clicked and our attacking play improved quite a bit.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

59 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I know there’s a pandemic but many financially obsessed fans get in a tizzy about pay offs.   Managers have been sacked and replaced 

on a whim for forever and a day. 

I can’t say for certain but I’d imagine in the contract there’ll be some agreement to a phased pay off allowing the club to stretch whatever is left on the contract? Unless of course the money is there just to get it done there and then.

There was no qualms about emptying Stendel.

His contract had expired.  

Mars plastic
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

But at the moment there’s virtually no other money coming in to the Club. 

Every other club seems to be doing just fine without the £150K a month beer money we get.

• davemclaren locked this topic