New manager incoming ( merged )

Hendolad

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Na sorry the relationship with neilson has deteriorated over time, many were against him before he even came back. His constant excuses haven’t helped him at all. He is just so dull and uninspiring and this hearts team are a reflection of that. 

Daniel Stendels hearts record was very poor, he made lots of mistakes he is widely supported still becuase he tried to play on the front foot, didn’t make any excuses. 

The hearts support are more than fair, the next manager will get a fair crack. Robbie has had his

Completely disagree, the fact that a Neilson oot thread was started in November highlights there is a rabid section of our support. 

Anyway, if he's here folk have a choice. 

Support him and the team, see how we get on next season. 

Don't. 

I'm going the former  and I can't wait for next season, whoever the manager is. 

Promoted, new players, hopefully at the games. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• sadj

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TyphoonJambo
12 minutes ago, cocomac said:

Good response, you have raised some good points, as well as some average ones, but enough to make me read more about his career. I found this very interesting article https://thesetpieces.com/latest-posts/norwich-a-year-of-alex-neil/ which is a good read so stick with it as it is a bit strange to start off with. So on some of the points you raise and this article, I may be changing my opinion. 

Tremendous article. Please fwd to AB

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Lose the first five and we look back at a missed  opportunity to replace him and struggle to stay up for the rest of the season. His recruitment has been awful and both cup results unforgivable. Listening to more excuses ? No thanks. 

He won the first five last time, nothing indicates he will lose the first games. 

His recruitment got promoted first time, it wasn't awful. It can't be. 

Broro was awful. 

Also, a new manager could also lose the first five games, there is no guarantees either way. 

Do you then sack him? 

The difference is Robbie has past form for us in the league, very good form at that. 

Anyway, he's here and unlikely going anywhere. You can either wallow and hope we lose games next season so he gets sacked or get behind Hearts, whoever the manager is. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Completely disagree, the fact that a Neilson oot thread was started in November highlights there is a rabid section of our support. 

Anyway, if he's here folk have a choice. 

Support him and the team, see how we get on next season. 

Don't. 

I'm going the former  and I can't wait for next season, whoever the manager is. 

Promoted, new players, hopefully at the games. 

For a minority of our support for whatever reason! Losing to championship hibs from 2-0 up! The terrible excuse he made! Losing to the Maltese postmen, his association with levein,  the boring football in the first spell! Waking out on the club never wanted him back and have been against him from day 1. The goodwill was gone - they were waiting for failure.. 

Now patience has ran out for a clear majority of our support! We have a poor season in a poor league, had some of the worst results in the history of the club! A whole list of negative firsts ..

now virtually the whole support is waiting to pounce on failure.  The negativity is incredible and it’s not going away

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

For a minority of our support for whatever reason! Losing to championship hibs from 2-0 up! The terrible excuse he made! Losing to the Maltese postmen, his association with levein,  the boring football in the first spell! Waking out on the club never wanted him back and have been against him from day 1. The goodwill was gone - they were waiting for failure.. 

Now patience has ran out for a clear majority of our support! We have a poor season in a poor league, had some of the worst results in the history of the club! A whole list of negative firsts ..

now virtually the whole support is waiting to pounce on failure.  The negativity is incredible and it’s not going away

OK. 

Time will tell. 

‘The most difficult league in Scotland’ 

When was the last time it went to the wire ? When was the last time it wasn’t won by a stroll. When was the last time it was neck and neck all the way through the season ? Even this poor Hearts team has won this league unopposed.

That statement is nothing more that made up justification to keep Neilson as manager. Ms Budge really needs to look under the bonnet and kick the tyres sometimes before making ludicrous embarrassing statements which make us a constant figure of fun 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

He won the first five last time, nothing indicates he will lose the first games. 

His recruitment got promoted first time, it wasn't awful. It can't be. 

Broro was awful. 

Also, a new manager could also lose the first five games, there is no guarantees either way. 

Do you then sack him? 

The difference is Robbie has past form for us in the league, very good form at that. 

Anyway, he's here and unlikely going anywhere. You can either wallow and hope we lose games next season so he gets sacked or get behind Hearts, whoever the manager is. 

did I read earlier our form in the last half of this season in this league has been 5th? Added to the constantly poor performances and cup exits to Alloa and Brora there is lots of evidence to suggest it won’t be great. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

did I read earlier our form in the last half of this season in this league has been 5th? Added to the constantly poor performances and cup exits to Alloa and Brora there is lots of evidence to suggest it won’t be great. 

The evidence is mixed. 

I agree. 

Like any appointment we'll make 

If he stays, he stays. 

If he goes, then he goes. 

I'll support Hearts next season no matter what and unlike some won't pounce on anyone. 

If Neilson is still in situ for the start of next season it will be Cathro all over again guaranteed, first blip in the League Cup section and fans will be screaming for his head, there is no chance he is going to make it to the first league game before fans are demanding he be sacked

100% Robbie Neilson is a dead man walking , he must leave at the end of the season

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

It's too toxic now.

Neilson can barely afford one more bad result let alone a bad week.

And it will come next season and fairly early on too.

Neilson is getting relieved of his duties.  Less damage to be done by doing it by 2nd May than by end August.

Edited by jbee647

Holyrood_Hearts
35 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

The board and neilson think if we repeat “it’s a hard league” often enough folk will believe it. Fake News eh  😆

I wonder how many teams have won the Championship with the 4th biggest budget in the country? Nonsense from Hearts again

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

So a manager who got Hamilton promoted, took them to the top of the SPFL for a month in the first season back, won away at Celtic, had everyone raving about the football they were playing , had them in third place when he left to go to Norwich, picked Norwich up and got them promoted, managed in the premiership and had Preston punching well above their weight, nearly got them to the playoffs twice and never finished below he they should be financially, despite his best players  being sold out from under him !! Isn’t good enough for hearts? 

the reality is - the view that he hasn’t done much is not based on Alex Neil’s career. - it’s Becuase he’s not a sexy enough name. Same folk would have been saying Steve Clark wasnt good enough! Alex Neil’s would be the best qualified manager since George burley. We’ve not had anyone else who’s managed at that level or with that level of success

what kind of manager do folk think we will get? Are we just going to dismiss everyone who is Scottish 

:spoton: 

Holyrood_Hearts
1 minute ago, jbee647 said:

If Neilson is still in situ for the start of next season it will be Cathro all over again guaranteed, first blip in the League Cup section and fans will be screaming for his head, there is no chance he is going to make it to the first league game before fans are shouting for his head

100% Robbie Neilson is a dead man walking 

Completely agree with this. We need to make a change & it needs to be done sooner than later. 

The majority of fans (myself included) want him out because we want what’s best for the club. I seen someone else talking about Stendel & I think DS is popular amongst the support for calling it like it was. None of the bullshit we’ve had all season from Neilson blaming referees, the pitch, BBC Scotland for Friday night football etc etc 

Neilson’s done nothing to justify being here next season. 

10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

A typical start to the league

Celtic away

St Johnstone home 

Hibs away

Livingston home

Kilmarnock away

Nothing special or overly harsh there. The current Hearts team, or anything close to it, under Neilson, would probably lose all 5. Replace the above with any 5 teams in the top league of a similar mix and the possibility/probability is the same.

How many points would the current squad (with a few holes filled as Neilson said was happening) achieve from the above ? How many goals would it concede. How many would it score ?  That’s not a real question by the way, just thinking out loud here.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

So a manager who got Hamilton promoted, took them to the top of the SPFL for a month in the first season back, won away at Celtic, had everyone raving about the football they were playing , had them in third place when he left to go to Norwich, picked Norwich up and got them promoted, managed in the premiership and had Preston punching well above their weight, nearly got them to the playoffs twice and never finished below he they should be financially, despite his best players  being sold out from under him !! Isn’t good enough for hearts? 

the reality is - the view that he hasn’t done much is not based on Alex Neil’s career. - it’s Becuase he’s not a sexy enough name. Same folk would have been saying Steve Clark wasnt good enough! Alex Neil’s would be the best qualified manager since George burley. We’ve not had anyone else who’s managed at that level or with that level of success

what kind of manager do folk think we will get? Are we just going to dismiss everyone who is Scottish 

Folk on here dismissed Davie Moyes ffs 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

they did 😂 also not a sexy enough name . 

Rocky jamboa
56 minutes ago, Jumper said:

However, the club added that winning "the most difficult league in Scotland" deserves to be recognised.

Although the statement from the club was very poor, in fairness, it actually says "the most difficult league in Scotland..... to get promoted from" which is completely different. However, still a stupid thing to say by the club and trying to deflect from what has been a dreadful season. 

35 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Na sorry the relationship with neilson has deteriorated over time, many were against him before he even came back. His constant excuses haven’t helped him at all. He is just so dull and uninspiring and this hearts team are a reflection of that. 

Daniel Stendels hearts record was very poor, he made lots of mistakes he is widely supported still becuase he tried to play on the front foot, didn’t make any excuses. 

The hearts support are more than fair, the next manager will get a fair crack. Robbie has had his

Fair assessment. Any manager who stops this turgid , walking football style we've made our own over the past 5 years would be welcome. If Neilson struggles next season the clamour for him to go with fans in the ground will be unstoppable. A new manager looking for signings in the January window to avoid relegation? Why take the risk?

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

A typical start to the league

Celtic away

St Johnstone home 

Hibs away

Livingston home

Kilmarnock away

Nothing special or overly harsh there. The current Hearts team, or anything close to it, under Neilson, would probably lose all 5. Replace the above with any 5 teams in the top league of a similar mix and the possibility/probability is the same.

How many points would the current squad (with a few holes filled as Neilson said was happening) achieve from the above ? How many goals would it concede. How many would it score ?  That’s not a real question by the way, just thinking out loud here.

But with a new manager we'd blast them all away?

I am unsure of your point in regards to Neilson tbh. Are you suggesting that With him that run of games would be harder, without him- easier?

Any Hearts team in my lifetime could reasonably get anything from between 3 and 10 points from that run of games. I don't think a change of manager guarantees a better or worse return either way tho.

18 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The evidence is mixed. 

I agree. 

Like any appointment we'll make 

If he stays, he stays. 

If he goes, then he goes. 

I'll support Hearts next season no matter what and unlike some won't pounce on anyone. 

How many times this season after a Hearts game have you arrived at the conclusion that we’ll be fine in the top league next season. I can think of 3. I’ve never once watched a game and thought we had the makings of a top six side. By thinking 3 times that we’d be fine I meant, not relegated.

How many games have you watched and thought we are nowhere close to the standard required for next season ?

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Yip, quite a few of the more vocal posters as well.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

I am unsure of your point in regards to Neilson tbh. Are you suggesting that With him that run of games would be harder, without him- easier?

Any Hearts team in my lifetime could reasonably get anything from between 3 and 10 points from that run of games. I don't think a change of manager guarantees a better or worse return either way tho.

probably not. But a new manager won’t be hounded out the door instantly. Like it or not Robbie doesn’t get that lee way

Yes that’s EXACTLY what I’m suggesting.

1 hour ago, Jumper said:

On the BBC Sports site this morning in the article about Naisy lifting the trophy today there is what is called a quote from the club that says this 

However, the club added that winning "the most difficult league in Scotland" deserves to be recognised.

Normally that would be a “fair enough point” to make.

It suggests to me they are still out of touch with what the supporters are saying on this forum, bearing in mind it’s only a small percentage of our overall support on here -  it’s been a consistent theme of we have been ‘poor’ in a ‘poor league.

Either the person quoted is wrong or posters on here are wrong. I lean towards the board being out of touch, toeing a party line or full of it.

So, if we have won 'the most difficult league in Scotland' this season, then next season in the not as difficult Premier Division will obviously be a stroll. No need for any new players, no need to strengthen the squad, they may as well give us the title now and enter us for the Champions League in 2022.  

Bazzas right boot
Just now, JimmyCant said:

How many times this season after a Hearts game have you arrived at the conclusion that we’ll be fine in the top league next season. I can think of 3. I’ve never once watched a game and thought we had the makings of a top six side. By thinking 3 times that we’d be fine I meant, not relegated.

How many games have you watched and thought we are nowhere close to the standard required for next season ?

I have not taken any games this season as a indicator to what will happen next season, whether that be the 3 -3 with Celtic or the 1-2 v Cove.

Football doesn't work like that.

I think we will do better than Utd, imo quite a bit better. They are 8th.

Aberdeen or hibs- having seen them a couple of  times have also not impressed me to a level where I thought- " wow, we can't get near them".

The gap can and has been closed in one season before.

I think folk are overestimating the quality of opposition. If we recruit correctly I am more than confident we'll do well- whoever the manager is.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

probably not. But a new manager won’t be hounded out the door instantly. Like it or not Robbie doesn’t get that lee way

Fair enough, but I am not one to give in to hounding or threats.

Maybe Ann will change her mind, but with the new football structure in place and promotion secured I think the current set up will get a shot at the top flight.

8 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Although the statement from the club was very poor, in fairness, it actually says "the most difficult league in Scotland..... to get promoted from" which is completely different. However, still a stupid thing to say by the club and trying to deflect from what has been a dreadful season. 

There must be another quote somewhere then. I can’t see the words “,,,,,,, to get promoted from”. The article I read was the Brian McGlauchlin one posted 19 hours ago. Maybe I’ve lost the ability to read?

I have not taken any games this season as a indicator to what will happen next season, whether that be the 3 -3 with Celtic or the 1-2 v Cove.

Football doesn't work like that.

I think we will do better than Utd, imo quite a bit better. They are 8th.

Aberdeen or hibs- having seen them a couple of  times have also not impressed me to a level where I thought- " wow, we can't get near them".

The gap can and has been closed in one season before.

I think folk are overestimating the quality of opposition. If we recruit correctly I am more than confident we'll do well- whoever the manager is.

You’re utterly deluded mate.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Yes that’s EXACTLY what I’m suggesting.

I think you will be disappointed either way tbh, but if it's Robbie you can say I knew it, if it's a new manager you could say he needs time.

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

My point of view, for what it's worth, is that RN has not shown any tactical nous to improve our performance. The football on offer is turgid. A new manager, new ideas may well get more out of our squad (which isn't that bad imo). They may not, of course, but stick with RN and I just can't see improvement.

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agree with your point regards historical inconsistency, but as I said above, NOT changing manager guarantees the same aimless, pedestrian football we've had to endure this season. Again, imo.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You’re utterly deluded mate.

As per, once the logic cannot be debated, the personal insults come flying in.

JKB verbal combat used to be noble art form. Now as soon as a person gets all tied up and has no response they revert back to the usual patter.

Hopefully the players and mgt team are not shitting it from the elite of Scottish football as much as many on here.

If they are we are beaten already.

Happy Promotion/ champions day!

Edited by Smith's right boot

Rocky jamboa
2 minutes ago, Jumper said:

There must be another quote somewhere then. I can’t see the words “,,,,,,, to get promoted from”. The article I read was the Brian McGlauchlin one posted 19 hours ago. Maybe I’ve lost the ability to read?

The full statement's on the Hearts website, which has the additional wording. You know what the press are like at twisting things people say! 

I'm not in any way defending the statement. I still think it's shocking. I just felt the BBC having picked that part of the statement and leaving out the rest of the sentence was a bit underhand. 

I think you will be disappointed either way tbh, but if it's Robbie you can say I knew it, if it's a new manager you could say he needs time.

If a new manager comes in now, he’d not get the luxury of losing the first 5 league games without losing the confidence of the fans very quickly. If a new manager comes in after Neilson signs diddies all summer and we lose to diddy teams in the diddy cup and he blames pitches and referees when he’s walking out the door, then the new manager will need time to unravel whatever mess is left behind.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Boris said:

My point of view, for what it's worth, is that RN has not shown any tactical nous to improve our performance. The football on offer is turgid. A new manager, new ideas may well get more out of our squad (which isn't that bad imo). They may not, of course, but stick with RN and I just can't see improvement.

Agree with your point regards historical inconsistency, but as I said above, NOT changing manager guarantees the same aimless, pedestrian football we've had to endure this season. Again, imo.

Maybe, or maybe sticking with the manager that got us promoted and has a league record with us of 1st, 3rd, ( left in 2nd), 1st is a good way to get us back up towards the top half of the league and at least consistent again?

I see merit in both sides.

If he goes- he goes. if he stays I hope he can do what he has done in the past.

Whatever happens, I'll renew and hope we start well next season.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

If a new manager comes in now, he’d not get the luxury of losing the first 5 league games without losing the confidence of the fans very quickly. If a new manager comes in after Neilson signs diddies all summer and we lose to diddy teams in the diddy cup and he blames pitches and referees when he’s walking out the door, then the new manager will need time to unravel whatever mess is left behind.

Or maybe we'll get out the lc group stages and start the league campaign well.

Who knows?

Maybe, or maybe sticking with the manager that got us promoted and has a league record with us of 1st, 3rd, ( left in 2nd), 1st is a good way to get us back up towards the top half of the league and at least consistent again?

You’re hanging your hat on what Neilson did 6 or 7 years ago and you’re happy to dismiss the current season where if it hadn’t been for Gordon and Boyce we probably wouldn’t have won the league.

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Who knows?

Well nobody knows of course. The conversation is about anticipation based on current evidence. Do you look at Neilson and see a top six manager or do you go out NOW and get one you DO see a top six manager in.

davemclaren
18 minutes ago, henryheart said:

So, if we have won 'the most difficult league in Scotland' this season, then next season in the not as difficult Premier Division will obviously be a stroll. No need for any new players, no need to strengthen the squad, they may as well give us the title now and enter us for the Champions League in 2022.  

The premier is certainly ‘the most difficult league in Scotland...to get promoted from’. It’s literally impossible. 

3 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

Neil romped the championship and then managed in the best league in the world. Neilson goes to MK Dons and gets them relegated to League 2, but aye, Neil wouldn’t be an upgrade. 

To be fair Norwich are better than MK Dons.

Pretty silly comparison you've made. 

Also the "best league in the world" patter tells me you have a Sky Sports subscription. 

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The premier is certainly ‘the most difficult league in Scotland...to get promoted from’. It’s literally impossible. 

:lol: 

The statement people can’t even get that right. 

HamishMcGonagall
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Great post! Spot on! Can't believe so many folk on here are turning their nose up at him.

26 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Based on what we've witnessed this season, what we witnessed last season with Dundee Utd, I don't think RN has it.

If he stays then I'm sure however sceptical one may be, wanting the team winning is a given.

Good on you.

17 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Just ambition?

Not money?

Point is...saving money from getting shot of a lot of the squad would cover those wages. I'd rather we signed two or three better quality on say £6k a week than have nine bloating the squad on £2k a week. Works out the same outlay plus it frees up space in the squad for youngsters to get a chance. As i say, speculate to accumulate. You won't get any decent transfer fees from the bloaters but you will from better quality down the line. 

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Don't disagree with any of that however I am willing to bet that AB will stick by her appointment until the bitter end because she believe's she is never wrong.

Bunny Munro

Spoke to colleague at work this week about Alex Neil (a Celtic fan), her view was that he was probably too big a name for Hearts. 

Who on earth do some people think we're going to for for?

Look at recent appointments.

Hearts: Robbie (Scottish Championship) Stendel ( English League 1)

Hibs: Jack Ross (English league 1)

Aberdeen: Glass (MLS reserves)

Motherwell: Alexander (English national League)

Kilmarnock: Wright (Scottish premiership)

We can't turn down a manager who has reasonable success at English Championship level.

Edited by Bunny Munro

24 minutes ago, 151 said:

To be fair Norwich are better than MK Dons.

Pretty silly comparison you've made. 

Also the "best league in the world" patter tells me you have a Sky Sports subscription. 

to be even fairer; the two have both taken up respective jobs in England one flourished one failed at their respective levels.

re. the "best league in the world" quote is tosh but AN did beat Man U at Old Trafford which is a feather in his cap

1 hour ago, Hashimoto said:

That's the thing, it is a small % of the overall support. However, it should never be ignored!

Just like when the BBC, or sky go out into the streets before a general election. A small, cross section gets asked who they intend voting for. And generally speaking these straw polls are a true, accurate indication as to how the country is going to vote! 

Jbk might well represent a small % of the overall fanbase. But as the only fanbase voice and poll out there the club would do well to sit up and take notice.

As i said previously....the percentage of points of view will be similar whether it's 200, 2000, or 20,000 fans being asked. I know there's only a small amount overall on kb, i know more Jambos that aren't on kb than on it and from what they've said they want rid of Neilson by about 90%. Even the other 10% are unsure and want to wait until next season starts and see where it goes. Hardly a vote of confidence by anyone, overall.

husref musemic
46 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Who knows?

I'll have a go.

- Imagine this crop of players in the premier.

- The usual summer (equivalent/worse) replacements.

- Robbie with the mill stone of this season round his neck.

- This standard/style of play.

It all doesn't bear thinking about.

4 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Whats his record like? Hasn't he been punted by pretty much every club he has managed?

His record is dreadful, I think.  

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

Fair assessment. Any manager who stops this turgid , walking football style we've made our own over the past 5 years would be welcome. If Neilson struggles next season the clamour for him to go with fans in the ground will be unstoppable. A new manager looking for signings in the January window to avoid relegation? Why take the risk?

This is my concern. If Robbie gets to start the season i can't see us winning many games. We've struggled against Championship teams so why would we not against Premier teams? 

If he was to be sacked in....say October, how long would it take to find another manager and when we eventually do, who's to say he won't want another clear out to bring his own style/players to the club? Then we're back to changing the squad yet again in January and beyond. At least if he was to go sooner, a new manager would be able to look at the squad and suss out who needs to go and who should stay. We don't have a bottomless pit of money to be able to afford to do that. What i see with the squad right now is players who are coached into a containment style of football. Zonal even. Who's to say that with a new coach in the players might get a lift and show their true worth to the club? It worked for a few when Stendel came in. The current squad is easily good enough to be competitive in the Premier, well, most of them, and by adding three or so quality players to the decent ones already there, we have a chance to do something now, not in October/November time when we'd be back to square one again. Can we really afford to take that chance?

• davemclaren locked this topic