New manager incoming ( merged )

Hendolad

58 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

These players were signed with remaining budget to bolster a Championship squad on a reduced budget. 

Really not too difficult to understand they are below standard, did we need to squander money to win the League? Absolutely not,  maybe congratulations due for not pissing away money like Rangers did on the lower League. 

We really didn’t need Stewart tbh....it was an unnecessary addition.

Frear has played so little that Lewis Moore would have as every bit as useful. Frear was also an unnecessary addition.

Kastaneer.....see above.

Roberts and Popescu were given two year contracts which indicates RN believes they can do us a turn in the Premiership.

I just don’t trust his judgment for a player tbh.

Edited by DH1986

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• sadj

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Rods said:

I can see where you are coming from but you faltered at the point that I have highlighted.

Budge has been setting a low bar since us romping the championship and Robbie has confirmed yet again the low target our football side has been set.  The players like in the previous few season can relax and try and push on for top six after the year. Meanwhile our fans suffer with unacceptable defeats. 

Top six is not a target, top six is a cop out. This target is lead by budge and happily accepted by Neilson. Its a loser mentality.

How did Budge set a low bar ?

And how did RB confirm it ? 

We clearly have a nucleus of a strong team. We just need to build around it.

Gordon, Souttar, Haring and Boyce are vital and we should be doing everything we can to keep a hold of them. Guys like Smith, Kingsley, McEneff, GMS, Logan and Ginnelly are good SPL players. Then guys like Halliday and Halkett are good back up players for this level. Rather than scrap the whole squad and start again we need to build around that. I’d probably like to see us bring in 5 or 6 top quality players to compliment them. A centre half, centre mid and maybe a couple of wingers and a couple of strikers.

Hearts are going to be a much more attractive prospect next season. Popescu, Frear, Kastaneer etc were never going to be long term solutions. They did the job on a reduced budget, and were likely our second or third options at the time.

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, Rods said:

I can see where you are coming from but you faltered at the point that I have highlighted.

Budge has been setting a low bar since us romping the championship and Robbie has confirmed yet again the low target our football side has been set.  The players like in the previous few season can relax and try and push on for top six after the year. Meanwhile our fans suffer with unacceptable defeats. 

Top six is not a target, top six is a cop out. This target is lead by budge and happily accepted by Neilson. Its a loser mentality.

Plenty posters on her said top 6 was a starting point and I for one got ridiculed for suggesting top 4 was realistic- before top 6 was revealed as the minimum target by the target.

If we'd come out with top 3 or 4 as the target the posters that went into slaver  overdrive about top six would have vented their scorn at the club suggesting top 3 or 4.

They can't win.

Also, 3rd or 4th is top 6 as well. I don't expect us to stop winning games if we get sixth.

I doubt budge will set targets without the input of the CEO, Savage and JJ either.

25 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Frear has played so little that Lewis Moore would have as every bit as useful. Frear was also an unnecessary addition.

Kastaneer.....see above.

Roberts and Popescu were given two year contracts which indicates RN believes they can do us a turn in the Premiership.

Not sure thats accurate. Though Roberts has been producing in the Premiership and Popescu did ok for St Mirren in the Premiership so its possible as squad players. However it could be as simple as that during covid and all the uncertainty they wanted 2 years to sign incase things continued badly. I would not want to be a footballer playing at any level below the premiership up here or championship down south and out of contract last summer

9 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

Was there not a clause that both parties could walk away at the season end?

The point the poster should've been making wasn't that there were no qualms in sacking Stendel but that there were no qualms in paying compensation to bring in Neilson and his entourage. No-one batted an eye lid at that frivolity.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, FTH said:

The point the poster should've been making wasn't that there were no qualms in sacking Stendel but that there were no qualms in paying compensation to bring in Neilson and his entourage. No-one batted an eye lid at that frivolity.

How much did it cost to sack Stendel and his coaches?

5 minutes ago, sadj said:

Not sure thats accurate. Though Roberts has been producing in the Premiership and Popescu did ok for St Mirren in the Premiership so its possible as squad players. However it could be as simple as that during covid and all the uncertainty they wanted 2 years to sign incase things continued badly. I would not want to be a footballer playing at any level below the premiership up here or championship down south and out of contract last summer

Then again.....it’s terrible judgement.

We can’t be letting distinctly average footballers dictate the length of contracts. They don’t want to sign for a year then tell them to bolt and go and sign someone who would be happy with a year playing for Hearts.

9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Plenty posters on her said top 6 was a starting point and I for one got ridiculed for suggesting top 4 was realistic- before top 6 was revealed as the minimum target by the target.

If we'd come out with top 3 or 4 as the target the posters that went into slaver  overdrive about top six would have vented their scorn at the club suggesting top 3 or 4.

They can't win.

Also, 3rd or 4th is top 6 as well. I don't expect us to stop winning games if we get sixth.

I doubt budge will set targets without the input of the CEO, Savage and JJ either.

The broken record strikes again. Have a day off.

No-one is reacting in the way you are suggesting. If the club came out and said we're aiming for 3rd next season everyone would be pleased, sure the majority would say Neilson hasn't shown anything since returning to prove he's the man to take us there but no-one would be ridiculing the club for setting the targets we all think should be our aim.

But for officials at the club to say top 6 and use phrases like "consolidate our position" is yet another kick in the teeth. Yes that might be a more practical target under Neilson but we should be aiming higher than that, or if we're not we should be cutting our budget accordingly.

13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

They can't win.

It is a recurring theme over the past few years. Like I said to Nano if you dont remember our recent history then feel free to look it up regarding targets and the Budge era.

If you think that we will be 3rd or 4th and rest on our laurels then you are a lost soul. It will be more like we are 7th or 8th and we will accpet 6th and that will be deemed good enough. See this season as an example. 

1 minute ago, FTH said:

The broken record strikes again. Have a day off.

No-one is reacting in the way you are suggesting. If the club came out and said we're aiming for 3rd next season everyone would be pleased, sure the majority would say Neilson hasn't shown anything since returning to prove he's the man to take us there but no-one would be ridiculing the club for setting the targets we all think should be our aim.

But for officials at the club to say top 6 and use phrases like "consolidate our position" is yet another kick in the teeth. Yes that might be a more practical target under Neilson but we should be aiming higher than that, or if we're not we should be cutting our budget accordingly.

👏

8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Exactly the point I'm making, the original quoted post tried to say there were no concerns about the cost of sacking him (when it was probably at zero cost due to some contractual small print). But the point the poster should've asked was about the lack of concern in paying compensation to Dundee United for the services of Robbie Neilson et al.

How much did it cost to hire Neilson and his coaches?

42 minutes ago, Rods said:

Do you live on a different planet?  Just incase you do here is the daily record from last week.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/robbie-neilson-targets-hearts-quick-23943498

DYOR before you post.

That article says RN " admitted".

That could well suggest he was asked if top 6 was his target and he has replied something along tthe lines of "Of course".  He woukd be a fool not to build in some slack publicly but privately he (or any other newly promoted manager) will be aiming for better.  A target is exactly that, not a promise!

9 minutes ago, FTH said:

Exactly the point I'm making, the original quoted post tried to say there were no concerns about the cost of sacking him (when it was probably at zero cost due to some contractual small print). But the point the poster should've asked was about the lack of concern in paying compensation to Dundee United for the services of Robbie Neilson et al.

How much did it cost to hire Neilson and his coaches?

If you're a shareholder you may see the figure in the accounts and/or clarified at the shareholders AGM.  If you're not then you have no need to know.

6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

That article says RN " admitted".

That could well suggest he was asked if top 6 was his target and he has replied something along tthe lines of "Of course".  He woukd be a fool not to build in some slack publicly but privately he (or any other newly promoted manager) will be aiming for better.  A target is exactly that, not a promise!

Your making assumptions/suggestions and I am not going to lie I am also making assumptions.

My assumptions are based on what he has said recently with regards to winning the league was enough. What are your basing your opinion on? Why do you beleive that Robbie and the footballing side have to strive for better than 6th?

Recent History under Budge suggests that 6th is good enough.

Edited by Rods

Under a proper manager anything is possible in a very poor top league next season.

We have to get rid of Neilson, get in a manager who will have a go and as I said, anything is possible.

Just now, Rods said:

Your making assumptions/suggestions and I am not going to lie I am also making assumptions.

My assumptions are based on what he has said recently with regards to winning the league was enough. What are your basing your opinion that Robbie and the footballing side have to strive for better than 6th?

Recent History under Budge suggests that 6th is good enough.

My assumption is based on the fact that the article uses the word "admitted" which suggests he did not voluntarily offer a target.  It suggests top 6 was put to him.

If RN was freely/ publicly setting a target it would have said- Neilson SAID or Neilson CLAIMED.

43 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nothing. They weren't sacked. 

4 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

Got a link?

Nope, but Neilson reinforced the same message after the game yesterday. 

4 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Objective yes but I doubt anything less than relegation fight would be enough for RN to get the bullet.

It’ll work out one of three ways.

We’ll sign good players and improve.

We’ll sign dross and struggle

We’ll sign bang average players and be the same.

I think this close season we’ll find out what Savage brings to the table 

My money is on the third option. Hopefully other teams will be worse. 
Im usually an optimist but you wouldn’t think so would you? 😀

I agree the summer signings will be a key measure for Savage. He is untested with us so far. Hopefully he has been watching premiership matches to get an understanding of what’s required. 

David Black
3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Great, let's make thing worst just because. 

We sold Hickey last season for the best part of £2m as well. 

We sold Hickey for £1.5 million of which Celtic got around a third. 

3 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

But it was an income and lasts as long as normal seasons surely?

Like I said it’s usually all gone long before now as we would usually be ready to sell next seasons season tickets now. Season ticket money gets us through to Xmas at best. 

David Black
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

How do you know they are surviving?  They could be getting propped up by wealthy donors and they're not likely to tell you.

Also if they do sell players would that not weaken their team for next season?  Is that your way forward

If Hibs sold Nesbitt for 2 or 3 million and signed Griffith for free it most certainly would not weaken their team and would be a superb piece of business by them. May not happen of course.

David Black
2 hours ago, Boof said:

Who's going be buying if everyone's in the same boat post-COVID?

Somehow I think many English clubs will have the money ok. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Anyway, I've accepted Budge isn't going to sack the blessed Robbie. The question now is how much we lose in income from reduced sales of season tickets, which will be interesting to observe.

6 minutes ago, David Black said:

If Hibs sold Nesbitt for 2 or 3 million and signed Griffith for free it most certainly would not weaken their team and would be a superb piece of business by them. May not happen of course.

If

If

If

15 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Nope, but Neilson reinforced the same message after the game yesterday. 

If you won't supply a link to Budge talking about top 6 being next season's target, can you at least give a timescale when this took place?

Or did you just make it up?

Mars plastic
9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Like I said it’s usually all gone long before now as we would usually be ready to sell next seasons season tickets now. Season ticket money gets us through to Xmas at best. 

Dear me. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

Kastaneer.....see above.

Its worth noting Arbroath didn't fancy Lewis Moore either. 

David Black
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

If

If

If

Very true, but certainly could happen and if so a superb piece of business. 

Berra than you
4 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

Neilson letting hibs win Scottish cup again

How's that exactly?

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Its worth noting Arbroath didn't fancy Lewis Moore either. 

I don’t fancy him.....but would he have contributed any less that Frear at this level ?

3 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

If you won't supply a link to Budge talking about top 6 being next season's target, can you at least give a timescale when this took place?

Or did you just make it up?

Some time since Neilson returned. She said promotion in year 1, top 6 in year 2 and top 3 in year 3. It’s been mentioned many times on this forum so not sure why you haven’t seen it 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Another glowing reference for Callum Davidson tonight, my choice for a couple of months now 

Berra than you
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Another glowing reference for Callum Davidson tonight, my choice for a couple of months now 

He's certainly gone from strength to strength. I mentioned a couple of months back that domestically him and Goodwin were the only managers worth looking at. Of the two, Davidson has kicked one immensely.

10 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

Neilson letting hibs win Scottish cup again

If Hearts had got through they wouldn't have been drawn against hibs, the draw is alphabetical 

7 minutes ago, David Black said:

Very true, but certainly could happen and if so a superb piece of business. 

They could sign Griffiths on a free without selling anyone if they're not hard up.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

I don’t fancy him.....but would he have contributed any less that Frear at this level ?

None of these players bar Popescu have actually played consistently in truth. 

Having watched the League through the season its maybe easy to see why you go for experience. 

You have to put yourself in Neilsons shoes I suppose. Easy for us to hypothesise but he has watched the League for the last 3 years and decided its not for kids

David Black
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Some time since Neilson returned. She said promotion in year 1, top 6 in year 2 and top 3 in year 3. It’s been mentioned many times on this forum so not sure why you haven’t seen it 

Must admit I've never seen that either but I'm not doubting you. A few days ago you said that even though I was not a current member of FoH I could still contact Stuart Wallace. I did and have received an answer to the 2 points I raised . Firstly Bidco were adhering to the terms of the agreement and that the shares were still to be transferred around June, this year. 

Just now, Sir Gio said:

None of these players bar Popescu have actually played consistently in truth. 

Having watched the League through the season its maybe easy to see why you go for experience. 

You have to put yourself in Neilsons shoes I suppose. Easy for us to hypothesise but he has watched the League for the last 3 years and decided its not for kids

Lewis Moore is older than both Irving and Henderson.......

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Oh I've seen 'it', but that's not what she said. So no idea what you think the Bobster has reinforced.

"We have to get through this season, we have to re-establish again next season then we have to get back to where we need to be".

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ann-budge-emphatic-hearts-backing-23600084.amp

Chuck Berry

Please let this thread be true and Neilson is gone in a fortnight.   Let him move to Dundee and go for the Championship treble next season.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, brux said:

If Hearts had got through they wouldn't have been drawn against hibs, the draw is alphabetical 

Could have sworn we beat them earlier in the season.

Forget that doesn't count  :lol:

David Black
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

They could sign Griffiths on a free without selling anyone if they're not hard up.

Who's saying they're not hard up, Ron the Con has already admitted they would probably have to sell. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

Lewis Moore is older than both Irving and Henderson.......

True, physically though? Strange fall rise fall since he did well last season, not playing for Arbroath is curious 

• davemclaren locked this topic