Derek Mcinnes

pointon

If the support could choose it would be Alex Neil, maybe he’s not interested or he’s not a feasible option financially. 

if it is McInnes, regardless of his past, you have to admire his consistency. We should back him to the hills if he is appointed and just be happy Neilson’s reign is cut short. We can’t moan forever. 

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• soonbe110

• GinRummy

• DH1986

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Let's pretend for a second this is a serious discussion about McInnes (and assume everyone agrees his football is terrible but people seem willing to ignore that), a criticism of Hearts recently (Levein and Neilson - this time around - notably) has been not bringing through enough youngsters. 

What young players have Aberdeen brought through under him since 2013? I can think of one - McKenna - who has been a genuine success. I can't even think of many who have even held down regular first team slots. He's a chequebook manager who capitalised on the financial weakness of rivals for several years and was able to hoover up talent early on in his Aberdeen time.

I completely agree. The first thing the board should be acknowledging is that the youth academy will be central to our strategy going forward. Any potential coach should be able to talk through their approach to youth and how they intend to integrate the academy lads into the first team. 

Frankly, if they cannot do that, we should make on immediately. 

Stephen Robinson would be a half decent option to task in doing that if Alex Neil genuinely isn't an option. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Failed to get promoted from the diddy leagues in two seasons despite vast financial advantages?

Advantages over who? Hearts? Rangers? Only one team has went up through the playoffs, it’s not easy. He would’ve got them up when Lennon did, just as Neilson did last season and this as the biggest team in the league. As we all well know he won the SC when our current manager ****ed it up and it could’ve been us lifting the trophy instead? 

Pasquale for King

McCann was absolutely ripped to shreds on here when he was mentioned as a Hearts candidate before. 

McInness - give me strength. I thought people wanted entertaining football. He's worse than Levein and Neilson put together. Physical, one-dimensional football all over the shop and a record of bottling it on the big occasions. Atrocious given the resources he's had to build a team that should be able to play football. Could barely buy a goal this season. Jesus!

It would have to be time for Robbo.

Robbo that had ICT down the bottom or McCann who is doing well with the sane squad? Why do you always foll to come back, it’s hardly been a success for CL/JJ/RN? Robbo is an average manager and might never come back to the game at any level. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

2018/19 their profit was greater than our turnover. 

£11m, then lost £10m last year. 

Pasquale for King

Ferguson for one 

Hahahahaha he signed him from Hamilton 😆😂🤡

Guest ToqueJambo
14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Advantages over who? Hearts? Rangers? Only one team has went up through the playoffs, it’s not easy. He would’ve got them up when Lennon did, just as Neilson did last season and this as the biggest team in the league. As we all well know he won the SC when our current manager ****ed it up and it could’ve been us lifting the trophy instead? 

Making excuses for one of Hibs most epic of fails now, just to have a dig at Robbie Neilson? 

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Robbo that had ICT down the bottom or McCann who is doing well with the sane squad? Why do you always foll to come back, it’s hardly been a success for CL/JJ/RN? Robbo is an average manager and might never come back to the game at any level. 

I want Robbo to get another chance at Hearts. Have done since he got the boot too soon under Romanov.

Pasquale for King

James Maddison for two. 

A year loan from Norwich? How is that bringing youth through? It’s the exact opposite as he stopped one of their own from playing!!!

I swear to god if Duncan Ferguson wants the job and we give it to ****ing Derek McInnes I'll be absolutely gutted.

Amending my list:

1 - Alex Neil

2 - Duncan Ferguson

3 - Stephen Robinson

4 - Anyone else that Isn't Craig Levein/Robbie Neilson/Derek McInnes

I'm starting to think they may actually be one person that sticks a mask on. Crobberek McLeveilson 

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I want Robbo to get another chance at Hearts. Have done since he got the boot too soon under Romanov.

I wouldn’t be adverse to that. Wether he would want to I’m not sure

SpruceBringsteen

If Derek McInnes is the next manager it'll just confirm to me that actually enjoying a Hearts game is something I'll just have to tell incredulous grandbairns about

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, SpruceBringsteen said:

If Derek McInnes is the next manager it'll just confirm to me that actually enjoying a Hearts game is something I'll just have to tell incredulous grandbairns about

🤣 We'll be reminiscing about the halcyon days of the Levein press and the Neilson wing switches.

Pasquale for King

Exactly, McInnes was definitive in his development. He was billy big time until McInnes sorted out his attitude. 

You’re just making stuff up now, somehow 14 games at Aberdeen made Maddison a player? He himself said it toughened him up, that’s it. 
Loved his attitude when they beat Newcastle, this is what we should be doing no disrespect to them. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

No, but it maybe makes Levein better than some give him credit for. By the way, did McInness ever get a result and performance even close to that one from his Aberdeen teams? Or for that matter similar to the times Cathro, Stendel and Neilson gave Rangers doings? Did he push Celtic as close in two SC finals as Levein and Neilson did?

He bottled it against the OF more often than not but was very consistent against the rest, playing physical, robust football that occasionally came together with some good performances. Basically McInnes is Craig Levein (from his first spell with us) but without the sense of humour.

I'd have taken Craig Levein from his first spell second time around. Sadly in his second spell he never gave the job the priority it deserved, ultimately leaving us in the shit. 

Not my personal choice but McInnes is a better manager than Neilson. Neilson can't get a tune out of a group of players on double and triple the wages of our nearest competitors. 

I don't personally think McInnes is typecast as this turgid football manager though. I think that was how he got the best out of a limited Aberdeen side who simply didn't have the talent to go any further than their abilities would allow. I feel that he has more about him than what we have seen at Aberdeen, just like we've seen from Steve Clarke and Davie Moyes. They have the experience and knowledge to change style depending on the personnel available to them and get the best out of their players. If Mcinnes ever came to Hearts, I think he would play much differently than people would perceive. His track record is hard to argue against. 

IveSeenTheLight
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

A year loan from Norwich? How is that bringing youth through? It’s the exact opposite as he stopped one of their own from playing!!!

4 month loan

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Making excuses for one of Hibs most epic of fails now, just to have a dig at Robbie Neilson? 

Epic fails? Finishing behind Hearts and Rangers, they usually do that? You think they should’ve been promoted sooner? A Hibee told me when they were relegated it would be three  years and I laughed, they knew 😆😂

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

4 month loan

Yeah I just googled that, amazing how in such a short time Mcinnes tajes credit for making him into the player he is today. 
Anyway is Mcinnes as defensive as Levein and his protege Neilson? 
In all seriousness should we hire him?

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Whether he got the boot too soon is hard to say but he’s not really shown he deserves another chance. Let’s hope he comes through his current troubles, not sure if coming back here would help that. 

Pasquale for King
49 minutes ago, BigPaul365 said:

If the support could choose it would be Alex Neil, maybe he’s not interested or he’s not a feasible option financially. 

if it is McInnes, regardless of his past, you have to admire his consistency. We should back him to the hills if he is appointed and just be happy Neilson’s reign is cut short. We can’t moan forever. 

Speak for yourself, I can and will moan forever 🤬🤪😜

Led to believe that Mcinnes and alex Neil have both had unofficial discussions on their future plans with members of the board. Budge wouldn’t have talks behind Robbie’s back due to their good working relationship. Also From what I have been told drop points against Dunfermline and Robbie will almost certainly be gone. Will be interesting to see if she actually finally shows the bottle and pulls the trigger 👍🏻

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah I just googled that, amazing how in such a short time Mcinnes tajes credit for making him into the player he is today. 

McInnes taking credit for Madison is another reason to not like McInnes. What next, "How I turned Matt Doherty into a 15m player" by Pat Fenlon?

Possibly the biggest two player development stories in Scotland recently have been us turning Aaron Hickey from not being wanted by Celtic's youth academy into a Serie A player in about a year and Hibs turning John McGinn from fat-arsed javelin target to EPL superstar in 2 or 3 years. I don't see Levein an Stubbs being proclaimed as football geniuses so not sire McInnes should for Maddison.

IveSeenTheLight
14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Many Dons fans think he’ll end up at Hearts.

If he did go there, he’d make you guys consistent and hard to beat.

He’d provide stability and consistency, but long term, his style of football generally is not great to watch.

I think he’d do a decent job in securing qualification for Europe repeatedly, the football would likely generally be one dimensional

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Led to believe that Mcinnes and alex Neil have both had unofficial discussions on their future plans with members of the board. Budge wouldn’t have talks behind Robbie’s back due to their good working relationship. Also From what I have been told drop points against Dunfermline and Robbie will almost certainly be gone. Will be interesting to see if she actually finally shows the bottle and pulls the trigger 👍🏻

I said at the time she wouldn’t do what she did to Stendel with Levein or Neilson. 
She will probably get Savage or McKinley to do it, or give Neilson another job for two years. Best paid KP in the world. 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

He’d provide stability and consistency, but long term, his style of football generally is not great to watch.

I think he’d do a decent job in securing qualification for Europe repeatedly, the football would likely generally be one dimensional

This describes Neilson's results most of his total time as Hearts manager and many people's view of him as Hearts manager in both spells 🤣 That's why the McInnes shouts are so ridiculous. This forum is schizophrenic. It's like replacing Neilson with a future, more experienced version of Neilson or a past version of Craig Levein, but with zero guarantees McInnes can replicate what he did at Aberdeen at a bigger club with higher expectations. If I was more confident McInnes could do a similar job to Aberdeen of about 3 or 4 seasons ago, I'd be open to it. Not convinced at all though.

Edited by ToqueJambo

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I said at the time she wouldn’t do what she did to Stendel with Levein or Neilson. 
She will probably get Savage or McKinley to do it, or give Neilson another job for two years. Best paid KP in the world. 

The biggest issue in her tenure has been the loyalty to her close working relationships, it’s cost us massively 

Pasquale for King
Just now, IveSeenTheLight said:

That’s the big question, as you can see from this thread, would we put up with crap football if we were top 4 every year. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

The biggest issue in her tenure has been the loyalty to her close working relationships, it’s cost us massively 

Indeed it has. 

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

McInnes taking credit for Madison is another reason to not like McInnes. What next, "How I turned Matt Doherty into a 15m player" by Pat Fenlon?

Possibly the biggest two player development stories in Scotland recently have been us turning Aaron Hickey from not being wanted by Celtic's youth academy into a Serie A player in about a year and Hibs turning John McGinn from fat-arsed javelin target to EPL superstar in 2 or 3 years. I don't see Levein an Stubbs being proclaimed as football geniuses so not sire McInnes should for Maddison.

I think McGinn only prospered after leaving Hibs, he only scored about ten goals for them. 
Levein didn’t want to play Hickey and only managed him for around the sane amount of games as Mcinnes did with Maddison. 
I don’t want Mcinnes either for the same reasons as you. 
Let’s just take a minute to bask in the glow of finding something we agree on for the first time ever. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by Pasquale for King

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Where Levein is concerned definitely. Not sure if it was loyalty or blind/misguided faith - and maybe a bit of hero worship - as who knows what their actual personal relationship is or was. This is probably a case against a fan or fans running football clubs. They will always make emotional decisions at times.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s the big question, as you can see from this thread, would we put up with crap football if we were top 4 every year. 

No, because a surprising number of people wanted Neilson out when we were 3rd and fighting for 2nd for "style" reasons. And we weren't even playing that crap, at least we were scoring goals!

A section of our support, worryingly, seems to have gone a bit mad when it comes to their expectations for Hearts. So long as they keep it online that's fine I suppose. But the "phoodle" posters and plane banners suggest they won't. Is it just Budge they want out, is that their game? Weird anyhow and I hope we can get back to just moaning after a few defeats instead of the overreaction you get now.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Where Levein is concerned definitely. Not sure if it was loyalty or blind/misguided faith - and maybe a bit of hero worship - as who knows what their actual personal relationship is or was. This is probably a case against a fan or fans running football clubs. They will always make emotional decisions at times.

Wow, I agree again. 
We need a cold hard hearted business person to run the club, in my opinion an elected paid position voted for by the FoH every four years. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

No, because a surprising number of people wanted Neilson out when we were 3rd and fighting for 2nd for "style" reasons. And we weren't even playing that crap, at least we were scoring goals!

A section of our support, worryingly, seems to have gone a bit mad when it comes to their expectations for Hearts. So long as they keep it online that's fine I suppose. But the "phoodle" posters and plane banners suggest they won't. Is it just Budge they want out, is that their game? Weird anyhow and I hope we can get back to just moaning after a few defeats instead of the overreaction you get now.

They want to be able to sing their songs etc, that time is gone and we need to do more on that front for me.

This thread would show people would seem happy to put up with crap football, which does contradict what we’ve seen before and are currently watching. 
Personally I would rather see a Hearts team that went after the opposition, the best teams we have seen all did that, and give 100%. Take a few chances, better to lose that way imo than the way we’ve played in the last few seasons. 

ShortmanRossco
59 minutes ago, OTT said:

I swear to god if Duncan Ferguson wants the job and we give it to ****ing Derek McInnes I'll be absolutely gutted.

Amending my list:

1 - Alex Neil

2 - Duncan Ferguson

3 - Stephen Robinson

4 - Anyone else that Isn't Craig Levein/Robbie Neilson/Derek McInnes

I'm starting to think they may actually be one person that sticks a mask on. Crobberek McLeveilson 

I'm wondering why Neil? 

Genuinely curious. I don't think he's got the record people seem to think he has 

Famous 1874

Better than Neilson.

Better track record. 
Same shit recruitment 

Unsure on his youth development policy - Neilson’s has none 

Same shit football 

Definitely an upgrade but the sort of manager who is built the same way as Neilson / Levein / Ross etc. 

We need something different, not another yes man type. 

Budge out, the board out and then we pick a club style, get a manager to suit that style and then sign players to fit that style. It’s not ‘that’ hard. Follow the Brentford & Barnsley model. 

1 hour ago, BigPaul365 said:

We can and will though, its not the right appointment imo mate, we all want the club to move in the right direction, appointing mcinnes would be us going round in circles yet again, It would split our fans, Much like Neilson did in the beggining, the dons fans i heard from couldn't wait to get rid of him. It has to be either Alex Neil or a manager of a higher calibre than that for me or we will never go to the next level imo with DM we will only get around 4th place and get papped out cups early doors every season.

I hope not.  An average manager.   Regularly in Europe yet, but given the league over that time, if Aberdeen did not qualify, it would be a sackable offence.   He has never achieved something he should not have. 

A total failure against Celtic and Rangers too, when it matters. 

Like Robbie, it is always something or someone else’s fault when he loses.  The football is murder, also.  

Definitely better than Robbie,  but not the answer, especially if he still wants a £900K salary.  

if you take into account budget, size and potential of club, then Tommy Wright and John Hughes have achieved more (and no, I don’t want them, and know that Ross County got grubbed last night). 

Edited by Paolo

7 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

We need someone like Roy Keane, a guy that never smiles, doesn't take any shite and the only thought in his mind is to destroy everyone. 

As assistant manager...

No chance, but I like this way of thinking.  A winner, who takes no shit.  

He would have battered hell out of the players after the Brora game. In fact, he would have after the Arbroath game. He would not have come out and said the pitch was bobbly, and that they are a good side.  

7 hours ago, Borders Jambo said:

Serious question but if Mcinnes had been in charge would we have gone out of the cup to Brora or Alloa.

I don't want to go down the route of discussing RN being sacked, as that has been discussed to death but wonder opinions on the above. 

Not a dig at you, but if that is how we are measuring if someone is good enough, then we really are in the shit. 

6 hours ago, Jamboj1 said:

Thanks for the info.

That makes it hard to even want to win today. Thinking long-term, i’d take a defeat to get him out. 

If a win keeps in a job, I can foresee a dire performance with a scraped 1-0 win.

I think Alex Neil would be a great progressive appointment for the club from top to bottom. He would shake-up not only the first team but the academy as well. 

Mcinnes, whilst not the most exciting appointment, would most certainly improve things to a point. I’d take him in the current situation. 

6 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Better than Neilson.

Better track record. 
Same shit recruitment 

Unsure on his youth development policy - Neilson’s has none 

Same shit football 

Definitely an upgrade but the sort of manager who is built the same way as Neilson / Levein / Ross etc. 

We need something different, not another yes man type. 

Budge out, the board out and then we pick a club style, get a manager to suit that style and then sign players to fit that style. It’s not ‘that’ hard. Follow the Brentford & Barnsley model. 

Same shit recruitment?

In his time at Aberdeen they signed Logan, Shinney, McLean, Rooney, Cosgrove, Ferguson, McRorie, GMS and Lewis.  If we had been signing this sort of players we wouldn't be in the shit we are in right now.

Vlad the impaler

Of those mentioned IMO Mcinnes is the man for now,not for 8 seasons but for the near future to build us back into a consistent top half team. Alex Neil hasn’t done anything for me,won a penalty shootout in this country and won promotion with a really good Norwich team with a good budget. Failed since. Duncan Ferguson would excite me more but think that’s far too risky for Budge at this time,

This is My Story Podcast

Not for it against Derek McInnes but we pulled this information together a month or so ago when he was sacked. The info below is based on us being in the league at the same time, so doesn’t include this season or the championship season. 

Also worth noting that DM has been to hampden 9 times, winning 1 league cup. He has played probably the generational best Celtic team in 3 cup finals. He’s also played in europe every season he’s been at Aberdeen. 

CD01C9BF-02AD-4B9A-BF5A-046EFFCD737F.jpeg

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hahahahaha he signed him from Hamilton 😆😂🤡

Yep, spotted young talent, brought him in, developed him then introduced to first team. Exactly what I would want from a Hearts manager. No need to have all the young boys in the books for years. 

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

The discussion was about whether McInnes is any good at developing young players. Maddison’s career was reignited after his spell at Aberdeen with McInnes. His career was going nowhere. McInnes made him realise what was needed if he was to make it.