• Cade

• Tazio

• Greedy Jambo

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Swahili Jambo
7 hours ago, Tazio said:

I think you mean Queen’s Drive. Radical Road is the unpaved footpath along the top of the crags. And you’re right it’s a sneaky climb, it doesn’t seem that bad at first then you suddenly realise you’re crawling along and out of breath. Edinburgh is good at those nice long flat looking roads that are actually subtle slopes. Leith Walk can be a stinker on a windy day for example. Willowbrae Road as well. 

You are correct my friend.  My ageing memory letting me down (or the years of Lycra on the saddle stopping the blood flow to my brain) (and other parts as every cyclist knows!!)  

16 minutes ago, Swahili Jambo said:

BTW Shimano over Campag every time (now let the fight begin!!) 

I don’t mind as long as it’s not SRAM.  

Froome running up Mount Ventoux is a classic sporting moment.

Arsehole fans caused the camera bike to crash and all the riders behind it then crashed into the camera bike.

With the road so narrow and full of people, there was zero chance of getting the team car up to Froomey.

So he decided to run up the hill to the next big corner where there was room to let the car pull over without blocking the road.

Didn't work though, as the utter chaos down the hill was preventing the cars from moving.

So he took a pishy new bike from neutral service and finished on that.

Still won the whole thing that year.

Similar to Tom Dumoulin having to stop for an emergency roadside jobby during one stage of the Giro D'Italia.

Still won it.

:gok:

28 minutes ago, Cade said:

Froome running up Mount Ventoux is a classic sporting moment.

Arsehole fans caused the camera bike to crash and all the riders behind it then crashed into the camera bike.

With the road so narrow and full of people, there was zero chance of getting the team car up to Froomey.

So he decided to run up the hill to the next big corner where there was room to let the car pull over without blocking the road.

Didn't work though, as the utter chaos down the hill was preventing the cars from moving.

So he took a pishy new bike from neutral service and finished on that.

Still won the whole thing that year.

Similar to Tom Dumoulin having to stop for an emergency roadside jobby during one stage of the Giro D'Italia.

Still won it.

:gok:

The neutral service bikes are actually very good bikes but obviously not £15k mega bikes they are on.
I watched a good video where someone got to ride along in one for a stage of the TdF. The bikes now have dropper seat posts so riders can get them to roughly the right size to at least be able to ride them until the team car catches up.
It’s logistically very difficult for them as there are different pedal set ups depending on the teams. With a mix of Shimano, Look, Time, and Speedplay so they have bikes with different set ups on the car and a full list of every rider and their pedals. Then there is the same when they have to give wheels to a rider as the gears in the rear wheels will be different from rider to rider, another list. And now with disc brakes some riders have 140mm discs and some will have 160mm. And of course the discs and cassettes are different for the different group set manufacturers. 
Interesting (to geeks like me) that after years of Mavic, Shimano now provide neutral service so blue cars instead of yellow. 

Edited by Tazio

Geraint wins the race overall, his first since he won the Tour de France, believe it or not

:wow:

Giro starts next week!

18 minutes ago, Cade said:

Geraint wins the race overall, his first since he won the Tour de France, believe it or not

:wow:

Giro starts next week!

He was probably pretty confident of it from the end of yesterday’s stage with today being a TT. I love the Giro, much more capable of throwing up a surprise than the TdF. 

So after doing the spring classics very well Tom Pidcock did a XC mountain bike race in Switzerland at the weekend and won by 3 minutes as that’s what he’s doing at the olympics. 

Game on!

:jj:

Three weeks of high drama to look forward to.

Ganna the obvious favourite for today's opening TT.

35 minutes ago, Cade said:

Game on!

:jj:

Three weeks of high drama to look forward to.

Ganna the obvious favourite for today's opening TT.

He’s not been the same in TT so far this season. 

Ganna is a beast.

Good to see Evanpoel on a GT after taking a plummet off a bridge last year.

Jakobson and Groenewegen both back.

Not sure how wise is it to be in the same race as each other with all the legal stuff flying around.

Good to see Jakobson back on a bike at all to be honest.

3 hours ago, Hesh said:

Good stage today, well pleased the Dutch boy held onto win.

Great ride by him, the stuff dreams are made of. 

4 hours ago, Hesh said:

Decent coverage of the last 30/40k though definitely put the cat amongst the pigeons. the guys worked today 

Just caught the highlights. Some great camera shots of the riders faces in the last 5k or so absolutely suffering. Looked like the riders in stages from the past with the tall gears they used to run. 

A boring day topped with absolute carnage in the last 5km

Possibly end of tour for and Sivakov and definitely for Landa.

12 minutes ago, Cade said:

A boring day topped with absolute carnage in the last 5km

Possibly end of tour for and Sivakov and definitely for Landa.

It was dull as F but that was a couple of really heavy Stoof in and a great sprint.

I’m not quite sure how Caleb Ewan did that. He was in about 3rd wheel and seemed to just stop riding hard and coast. Then he appeared out of nowhere to take it. A classic Cav style small sprinter who can get small and rip through the air. 

Landa's snapped his collarbone and "multiple" ribs on his left hand side.

Ooyah!

Dombrowski finishing the stage slowly on his own before going to hospital for concussion shows that concussion protocols are still a long way from where they should be.

What if he'd come off again?

I find it bonkers that the team are even considering letting him continue.

Sivakov has also abandoned the race.

The car incident was mental.

I'd expect that driver to be chucked off the tour after that nonsense.

Plus there were like 4 people in the car and NONE of them saw the rider.

Appalling.

That’s a tricky one as the driver will either be the DS or very high ranked member of the Bike Exchange staff. No excuse at all for it. 

DS has been booted off the race.

2nd in command fined 2,000 Swiss francs.

Also, Dombrowski didn't start today's stage.

Absolute nonsense that he was allowed to finish the stage yesterday.

Concussion protocols still nowhere near good enough.

Edited by Cade

Fairly basic stage today with no real drama. I suspect tomorrow will be different. Loads of climbing and gravel roads including a long gravel climb. 

Caleb Ewan abandoning mid0stage wasn't in the script.

He'd openly stated that he wasn't doing the final week as it had no sprint stages but for him to pull out during a stage was a bit weird.

It's not been the most exciting first week to a grand tour, to be honest.

Nasty crash for Mohoric on a descent. Impact snapped the front of the frame and he appears to be concussed quite clearly. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Nasty crash for Mohoric on a descent. Impact snapped the front of the frame and he appears to be concussed quite clearly. 

Taken away in an ambulance.

13 minutes ago, Gulpener said:

Taken away in an ambulance.

Hopefully just a precaution. Though I always get the fear when I see people in neckbraces but that seems pretty standard for any head impact these days. 

That was a chilling crash.

Totally erse over tit and landed on his head.

He looked in some state afterwards, glad he sat back down and let the medics cart him away.

Looks like there might be rain at some point, very interesting if it is wet on the gravel climb. Part of me wants it to stay dry, but also part of me wants it to be muddy and horrible to mix things up. 

Smoked everybody up that finish.

Good stuff.

What is going on in the studio, Orla dressing in a 1980s clubbing outfit and Wiggins dressing like a 15 year old ned.

20 minutes ago, Cade said:

Smoked everybody up that finish.

Good stuff.

What is going on in the studio, Orla dressing in a 1980s clubbing outfit and Wiggins dressing like a 15 year old ned.

Orla obviously decided to dress smartly as it was Sunday. 

Gorgie_Rules

Incredible finish from Bernal today and looks like hes over the back problems that were apparently plaguing him.

Glad Remco didn’t lose too much time. As much as I suspect Ineos will control it now, I think Remco has it in him to stick with Bernal, particularly in the 3rd week after his 8 month break and he’ll likely have a better TT in him.

Would like to see Simon Yates come into it towards the end of next week to make it more of a 3 horse race.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

Just now, Gorgie_Rules said:

Incredible finish from Bernal today and looks like hes over the back problems that were apparently plaguing him.

Glad Remco didn’t lose too much time, as much as I suspect Ineos will control it now, I think Remco has it in him to stick with Bernal and particularly in the 3rd week, and he’ll likely have a better TT in him

Would like to see Simon Yates come into it towards the end of next week to make it more of a 3 horse race.

RE is very much an unknown quantity in this. Fantastic cyclist no doubt but this is his first attempt at a grand tour and the physical stress of 3 weeks. I’d say Bernal is in pole position as the balance of Ineos as a squad is very good as every rider is a Swiss Army knife type, even Ganna now. 

Gorgie_Rules
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

RE is very much an unknown quantity in this. Fantastic cyclist no doubt but this is his first attempt at a grand tour and the physical stress of 3 weeks. I’d say Bernal is in pole position as the balance of Ineos as a squad is very good as every rider is a Swiss Army knife type, even Ganna now. 

Yeah Ganna is an incredible talent and Moscon looking in good form also.

I watched each of Evenepoels x4 world tour wins last year and fully believe he’ll justify the hype. Agreed this one may come too soon but even to be 15 seconds off Bernal after 8 months out is incredible.

Certainly feels like we are at the start of an exciting era of cycling with Bernal, Pogacar, Evenepoel, Pidcock, WVA, MVP etc!