• Cade

• Tazio

• Greedy Jambo

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, Cade said:

Crazy stuff today.  

Gravel sectors on a grand tour is causing all kinds of mayhem.

:scenes:

Aye, unfortunately i got a bit interrupted by F work 

17 hours ago, Cade said:

Crazy stuff today.  

Gravel sectors on a grand tour is causing all kinds of mayhem.

:scenes:

I’m not convinced having some much gravel on a single stage is a good idea in a grand tour stage. To win a grand tour you need to be a brilliant all rounder and now they’ve chucked in another discipline. There’s a reason they stopped it years ago. I love races like Strade Bianchi but that’s a one day speciality race, as is Paris Roubaix. 

Yeah plenty of guys in the peloton were moaning about it.

Gravel roads means a mechanical or a crash is far more likely, and that's slightly unfair as a three week race could be won or lost to that random chance.

But then that's true of any stage.

Greedy Jambo

New JKB Cycling team entering the Tour De France

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Alessandro De Marchi ended up in some state.

Broken right collarbone, 6 broken ribs on the right hand side and two cracked vertebrae.

Actually quite glad the crash itself happened off camera.

Not sure I'd want to see that.

Just caught up with today’s stage finish as I taped the last couple of hours to enjoy. That mountain is a monster in the last few Kms. If Bernal hasn’t taken too much out of himself with these massive efforts he’s in a very good place for the GC and nobody else has the team to challenge I reckon. Though to be fair Yates was in a better place when Froome won it so a rider can crumble with just one bad day. 

Edited by Tazio

Mad Dog Logan

As long as Bernal and his bodyguards Ganna and Moscon stay upright on their bikes and don't make and silly mistakes he's wearing pink all the way to Milan.

Bernal looks good, but Yates is getting better every day.

May come down to who's team is better or an unlucky mechanical.

The way Bernal waited until the top of the Zoncolan to pull a move and put time into all his GC rivals was superb.

A real statement of intent.

Massive crash at the very start of the stage, road too narrow for medics to arrive on scene quickly, race neutralised, 3 abandons. 

Everybody now just kind of hanging around getting medical treatment and chatting.

Absolute scenes.

7 minutes ago, Cade said:

Massive crash at the very start of the stage, road too narrow for medics to arrive on scene quickly, race neutralised, 3 abandons. 

Everybody now just kind of hanging around getting medical treatment and chatting.

Absolute scenes.

Too many injured riders to leave any ambulances or medical cars to follow the peloton. Shame Buchmann is out as he was doing ok in the GC. 

Bernal schooled everyone today. He’ll of a ride and the pink is surely his until the end now unless something happens to him. 

Bernal is still not properly happy with his back, so that may flare up in the 3rd week.

Either that or the team will nurse him over the line.

Certainly his to lose now.

A rest day at the Giro but discovered today this legend died. Trained firemen in the 1930’s, fought in WWII and became a POW, moved to Venezuela, then Canada to be a lumberjack before moving back to France. Then it got even more interesting. 
Chapeau Robert. 

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/record-setting-centenarian-cyclist-robert-marchand-dies-at-109/

Swahili Jambo

Google will be your friend on this one.  How many Scots have ridden the Le Tour?  I found 5 but happy to be updated if there are more.  My 5, Millar (Robert and David, Bilsland and a guy I've never heard of John Kennedy.  And believe it or not Tao Geoghan Hart!! Please update if you know of anyone else:)

15 minutes ago, Swahili Jambo said:

Google will be your friend on this one.  How many Scots have ridden the Le Tour?  I found 5 but happy to be updated if there are more.  My 5, Millar (Robert and David, Bilsland and a guy I've never heard of John Kennedy.  And believe it or not Tao Geoghan Hart!! Please update if you know of anyone else:)

I think Tao Geoghan Hart is a bit of a stretch. 

Swahili Jambo
43 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I think Tao Geoghan Hart is a bit of a stretch. 

He represented Scotland in the last Commonwealth Games...

A minor blip or the start of a back injury flare-up?

Are there enough stages left to take enough time back to overhaul Bernal?

End of this race just got tasty.

Just started watching the highlights after suffering the Europa League final. Bloody hell Orla is getting a bit bizarre with her outfits. 

Brilliant ride by Dan Martin. Not the most stylish cyclist to watch but he gets the job done and always seems like a good bloke. Good by Yates again, he just loves to climb, and I love watching him doing it. Riders like Yates and Contador that get up and dance on the pedals always look fantastic, so much better than the modern sit and spin technique. 

Edited by Tazio

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

Just started watching the highlights after suffering the Europa League final. Bloody hell Orla is getting a bit bizarre with her outfits. 

Neon pink 1980's prom night dress and black roll neck jumper was brave.

Well today is the big one in reality. I think the possibility of Bernal blowing up at the same time as someone has a brilliant ride are slim. However it’s a hell of a days racing so never say never but I think Ineos have a better balance in the team than anyone else. 

Martinez has been Ineos' MVP for the last week.

Great stuff looking after Bernal.

Not quite all over yet, anything can happen on a TT.

Just now, Cade said:

Martinez has been Ineos' MVP for the last week.

Great stuff looking after Bernal.

Not quite all over yet, anything can happen on a TT.

A TT bike isn’t a thing you want to be on if you have any doubts over your body as the position is so unnatural. However I’m sure they’ll pump Bernal full of ibuprofen to make sure he doesn’t have any issues with his back troubling him. I’d say short of a crash it’s all over bar the shouting. 

It would be good if the top 5/10 riders went of in reverse so they would be chasing Bernal, that could be interesting 

So Ganna had to do a bike change during the TT and is still leading it so far. It’s ridiculous how good he is at it. Cavagna on the road just now and is probably the biggest threat to him for the stage. 

Gorgie_Rules

Whos everyone backing for the tour then, straight fight between Pog and Rog or could we see others in with a shout?

Thomas had a fairly straightforward season so far (in terms of being injury free) could well be his last crack at it and Ineos will be strong. With Bernal’s showing at the Giro will be tough for Ineos not to see if he can carry that form into the tour but think their selections/leaders are already set for the GTs this year.

Question marks over a few of the other favourites:

Remco - injury recovery

S. Yates - patchy form although improving

Alaphilippe - lacks long steep gradient credentials

Froome - looks miles off

Only other challengers to Roglic or Pogacar I can see is any of the other Ineos lads if Thomas falls out of contention for whatever reason, Tao, Carapaz, Porte

Should be a good edition providing all the GC contenders stay injury free in the lead up.

Swahili Jambo
On 20/05/2021 at 09:38, Tazio said:

I’m not convinced having some much gravel on a single stage is a good idea in a grand tour stage. To win a grand tour you need to be a brilliant all rounder and now they’ve chucked in another discipline. There’s a reason they stopped it years ago. I love races like Strade Bianchi but that’s a one day speciality race, as is Paris Roubaix. 

No disprescept cos I can feel your passion for the sport.  But you need a wee bit of everything for every type of rider.  The wee guys need the climbs, where they will always win any Tour over 3 weeks.  But there should be stages included for the big guys as well, sprints, gravel, nose to the wind stuff, where the wee guys are holding on for dear life.  The simple fact is these days is, the wee guys can keep within 2-3 mins in the flat TT's and destroy the big guys on anything that goes above 5% and over 20 klicks in the mountains. 

Pog/Rog are the two hot favourites.

S Yates is coming on form.

Nobody else is showing anything this season that suggests a serious challenge.

Froome is finished, at least in terms of winning a Tour.

• 4 weeks later...

Le Tour De France starts tomorrow.

:jjyay:

Col de la Colombiere, Mont Ventoux, Col du Portet and Col du Tourmalet all on the route :wow: