Pro Cycling 2021

Cade

Just missed out. 

Squeezed out. Always the risk, just being in the wrong position.

Edited by Mikey1874

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• Tazio

• Greedy Jambo

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just missed out. 

Squeezed out. Always the risk, just being in the wrong position.

It was just a bit too chaotic and long for Cavendish. 

Green Jersey though. 

And no one anywhere would have predicted 4 stage wins. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Close but no cigar for Cav.

2 years out.

Written off.

Only got a slot on the tour at the last minute.

4 stage wins, equalled the Merckx record, only missed breaking it by 2 places on the Champs Elysees.

Still a great story.

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

IMG_20210718_185712.jpg

One of the things I love about Cavendish is his love of the sport and it’s traditions and history. Such as his always wearing a casquette instead of a baseball cap when he’s interviewed. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

One of the things I love about Cavendish is his love of the sport and it’s traditions and history. Such as his always wearing a casquette instead of a baseball cap when he’s interviewed. 

Couldn’t agree more.

The traditions of pro-cycling, once I understood them are what attracted me to it back in the  80’s when the highlights were on C4.

Cav is very respectful of them. I wonder if he’ll be back next year

Swahili Jambo

When anyone on this thread starts following Pro Cycling other than the TDF. Post.  And I'm sorry, Cavendish is a PRICK of the first order.  I know first hand stories.  He really is an untrustworthy, self absorbing knob.  But you all bask in another Brit win.  ****in pathetic.  

3 minutes ago, Swahili Jambo said:

When anyone on this thread starts following Pro Cycling other than the TDF. Post.  And I'm sorry, Cavendish is a PRICK of the first order.  I know first hand stories.  He really is an untrustworthy, self absorbing knob.  But you all bask in another Brit win.  ****in pathetic.  

Olympics starts on Saturday 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Swahili Jambo said:

He might well be a prick, but he is also the joint holder of record for most stage wins of TDF.

I'm sure he is really concerned with what a nomark on here is posting. Sorry, a ****in pathetic nomark 

13 minutes ago, Swahili Jambo said:

Good for you. In future I’m going to have to do extensive online research asking everyone’s opinion of sporting stars before I’m allowed to like them. At risk of actually addressing your points Cavendish himself has said in the past that he can be difficult and has been out of order at times. People who are totally driven to succeed can be like that. He’s also someone in a sport that relies on the team and goes out of his way to praise his teammates and everyone involved in it. 

Also if you actually read posts on this thread and others you’ll see that there a number of people including me that follow cycling and not just the TdF. 

Edited by Tazio

Not really any need to... 

But it does raise the history of Cavendish in embracing European road cycling. Turning up to pretty much every available race in his main years. 

Very much appreciated for someone who turned up from basically a non cycling nation then. 

This thread has charted pretty much all of the current road cycling season, starting when the Spring Classics were underway, following through all the minor tours, the Giro and now le Tour.

We'll still be going right the way through the Olympics (probably becoming more focussed on the track events), the Vuelta and the delayed spring classics too (can't wait for Paris-Roubaix).

Cav's a driven man, and openly admits he's difficult to live with at times.

Many elite sportspeople are the same, their sport consumes them and makes home life difficult.

1 hour ago, Swahili Jambo said:

Clearly hasn’t read the entire thread…

PRICK

The relationship between the Pro Cycling teams and the international events is always interesting. 

Reading all the experts slagging off Ineos this week. Wonder how they'll their explain an Ineos rider winning Gold in the hardest Olympic event 6 days later.

Edited by Mikey1874

A bit of a strange one in the women’s road race. An Austrian amateur rider won the race but as radios aren’t allowed in the olympics Annameik Van Vleuten thought she had passed everyone as she caught the breakaway group and passed them to get the gold. She crossed the line celebrating the gold then realised that she actually was second by a minute. 

That's phenomenal.

Almost like the various occasions when a rider has celebrated a victory on a circuit route with one lap still to go :gok:

Redemption for Van Vleuten. Strolled the gold in the individual time trial. Not a bad olympics for her with a gold and a silver. Roglic takes the men’s TT. 

• 2 weeks later...

As expected Olympic Mountain bike Gold medalist Tom Pidcock joins the Ineos team for the Vuelta a Espana starting Saturday. 

Live on Eurosport. 

image.png.e0178cff0c7c233e77095f01c649c49d.png

Spotted a jambo in Burgos on yesterday's highlights. Sorry for poor quality picture.

Edited by sum31uk
TT was in Burgos, not Madrid as I'd stated.

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy crashes today.

Been an odd course this year. Mountains followed by flat days then back up in the mountains again then more flats.....no real back to back days of similar terrain and it all feels rather disjointed.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Roglic absolutely dominant.

Incredible stuff.

HE was either going to broken or toughened by the way he lost the TdF, it's looking like the second option.

Sean Kelly has fantastic knowledge and insight but I for one struggle to understand the guy. He has the most impenetrable Irish accent I've ever heard.

Unless Roglic crashes he's strolling this. 

1 more hilly day then a TT to seal it.

Roglic has dominated this final week and only a crash or other serious mishap can stop him at this stage.

It only really struck me during the celebrations at the end - or I only noticed it then - but did Roglic ride the TT with a spoked rear wheel?

Whatever it was - chapeau grand, monsieur.

1 hour ago, Boof said:

It only really struck me during the celebrations at the end - or I only noticed it then - but did Roglic ride the TT with a spoked rear wheel?

Whatever it was - chapeau grand, monsieur.

Not unusual if there’s any suspicion of side winds. 

Looking forward to the Tour Of Britain stage finish in Edinburgh on Saturday afternoon. Not sure how much chance there is of getting to see the finish line so will probably jump on the bike and find a good vantage point to see the peloton going at full pelt somewhere. They’re coming into town down Dalkeith Road and entering the park at the Commie Pool so the road through the park as they’re winding up to the final sprint should be good. 

Aye I'm visiting family in the borders this weekend so we'll go along and hopefully find a spot in either Innerleithen or Lauder and see an intermediate sprint.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Aye I'm visiting family in the borders this weekend so we'll go along and hopefully find a spot in either Innerleithen or Lauder and see an intermediate sprint.

Looks like the sprint in Innerleithen is along the high street, I'll see tomorrow morning exactly where the finish will be, as they'll erect a finishing post, there's been signs out for the last couple of weeks warning that there is no parking or waiting between 09:00 - 15:00, cars will be towed away, so I guess they'll put out barriers etc tomorrow.  I'm just heading up the street in a few minutes, but I doubt anything will be up until tomorrow.

Just went through Innerleithen on the bus, no infrastructure up but plenty signs warning of the closures.

I'll maybe get a backie off one of them and get them to drop me back home at St Margaret's Loch :fonzie:

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Just went through Innerleithen on the bus, no infrastructure up but plenty signs warning of the closures.

I'll maybe get a backie off one of them and get them to drop me back home at St Margaret's Loch :fonzie:

Some traffic cones have appeard on the high street since yesterday, but that's all.

I'll take a wander up tomorrow morning and see what they are setting up.

19 minutes ago, Mad Dog Logan said:

For anyone interested the Tour of Britain will be heading into Edinburgh in the next hour or so, also on ITV4.

Surprised that the leading 6 are still over 5 minutes ahead, in saying that they were over 8 minutes ahead when they passed me earlier in Innerleithen, did expect the peloton to have reeled them in by more by now.

Ineos seemed happy to get the breakaway back to 5 minutes up the road so their rider was back leading the GC, don't understand why they let the gap go out to 9 minutes so early in the stage. 

Nobody in the break was a threat for the GC, Ineos were happy to just police the Peloton today.

Tomorrow could be very interesting.

Top 5 separated by less than a minute.

2 hours ago, Cade said:

World road racing championships 19th-26th September

Paris-Roubaix October 3rd

Plenty good stuff still to come late this season :yas:

European championships going on just now as well. 

Left the house at noon today, met a mate and had a bit of a spin around and ended up getting a decent position near the finish line.We got to the park about an hour before the peloton and managed to jink past the barriers and ride the part of the route from the entrance to the park down to the first roundabout at the parliament. We both managed 60kmh on that long downhill so christ knows what the pros hit on it. Rode back to the Meadows for a coffee and then cycled out to Joppa and back. A nice relaxing day but still managed to put 50km in the bank. 

2 hours ago, Cade said:

World road racing championships 19th-26th September

Paris-Roubaix October 3rd

Plenty good stuff still to come late this season :yas:

There is also the Enduro World Series downhill races on the Innerleithen downhill tracks, it's a big event, thousand+ competitors, the whole event is from 30th September to 3rd October with the main events 2nd & 3rd Oct.

https://www.tweedvalley.enduroworldseries.com/

12 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There is also the Enduro World Series downhill races on the Innerleithen downhill tracks, it's a big event, thousand+ competitors, the whole event is from 30th September to 3rd October with the main events 2nd & 3rd Oct.

https://www.tweedvalley.enduroworldseries.com/

Excellent news, Innerleithen is much underused and underrated. I don't ride much off road now but I've always preferred it to Glentress as it feels more real. And if you're just after a nice day on the bike I like the paths you can join from it. 

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Excellent news, Innerleithen is much underused and underrated. I don't ride much off road now but I've always preferred it to Glentress as it feels more real. And if you're just after a nice day on the bike I like the paths you can join from it. 

Yeh, we were shafted by the council a number of years ago, after the last mill shut in 2010 Innerleithen was promised all this money to develop it's bike tracks, but the money went to Glentress instead, but we refused to die or go away and now the World series is back again, it's the second time we have held it and we also had a European championship a number of years ago as well.  We now seem to be getting real proper investment, not just in the bike tracks but the town itself, might even be getting our own microbrewery soon as well.

I've heard other people say that they prefer the Innerleithen tracks over the Glentress tracks, I heard one person say that Glentress is too manufactured whilst Innerleithen is more natural, which it is.  Have to say it's a number of years since I was last up Cadonbank & Minch Moor, not been able to get up there since my health issues, used to climb up there all the time, some great views of the whole town & valley from up there.

There is now a tarmacked cycle/walking path from the outskirts of Peebles right down to Walkerburn where the only road traffic you will encounter is in Cardrona and from one end of Innerleithen to the other, but there are some back routes which avoid almost all traffic.  I use that quite often nowadays as I try and keep off the roads as much as I can now.

been here before
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

We both managed 60kmh on that long downhill so christ knows what the pros hit on it. Rode back to the Meadows for a coffee and then cycled out to Joppa and back. A nice relaxing day but still managed to put 50km in the bank. 

63 according to the graphic on the highlights.

Not a bad effort on your part

Screenshot_20210911-205752_Gallery.jpg