• Tazio

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Taffin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It is a bit ridiculous that Masi is offering the teams deals. Not a great precedent to set. He's losing the plot a bit.

I assumed that if it hadn't been accepted, the stewards would have imposed it anyway.

4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I assumed that if it hadn't been accepted, the stewards would have imposed it anyway.

No reason to make the offer then. It will just encourage teams to protest against stewards' decisions (not that they need too much encouragement, I suppose). :)

Just now, I P Knightley said:

Exactly what I was going to write.

10 year deal for this track apparently. Bemused at why you would introduce a new race on a tight track with minimal run offs. Monaco is the worst race on the calendar.

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

10 year deal for this track apparently. Bemused at why you would introduce a new race on a tight track with minimal run offs. Monaco is the worst race on the calendar.

That's one race I won't watch.

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Aerodynamics from the front wing is much overrated. Fastest lap with a damaged one?

Or over exaggerating the damage. How many times do we hear the radio message about tyres being destroyed and finished very closely followed by increased pace and fastest laps from a certain driver?

17 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Verstappen is a proper racer. Just let them get on with it in my opinion. Away with the safety.

I thought it was a brilliant effort by Verstappen. 

He's got one penalty and faces getting another for break testing Hamilton. So he's still just a bit short on experience and composure. 

Overall a great effort this season. 

14 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Or over exaggerating the damage. How many times do we hear the radio message about tyres being destroyed and finished very closely followed by increased pace and fastest laps from a certain driver?

Isn't that just radio tactics? Can't fake a broken front wing tip. Does show that they appear to not offer much on that track though.

Footballfirst

Jolyon Palmer doesn't seem to be a fan of Max.

"Verstappen is happy to crash and it's very hard to race someone that is happy to crash. If they do crash in Abu Dhabi, and you could see it easily happen, it's Max Verstappen's title."

Malinga the Swinga

Would be fitting climax if Max clipped Lewis on first corner in final race and they both fail to finish.

Both are petulant children and both teams are run by arrogant tosspots.

Shame one of them has to win, but as I have less time for Hamilton than almost any other sportsman, I'd prefer Max to win.

Won't lose any sleep over it though, as neither are likeable.

Footballfirst

Listening to Toto Wolff, there is clearly an issue with the sequencing of communication when drivers are required to give up a place.

The safest way would be to tell the benefitting driver first, before the leading driver is told to give up the place.

That way the benefitting driver knows that he will eventually get the place, so there shouldn't be any misunderstanding.   

Footballfirst

Another meaningless sanction from the FIA Stewards, a 10 second penalty to MV after the race that makes no difference to the result of the race or future races.

Shanks said no

Utterly astonishing weekend of racing, from Q3 it was obvious Max was over the edge. I have never been a Lewis Fanboy so this was great viewing as a neutral, reminded me more of stockcar racing than F1 thought.

Thought it was ominous  Red Bull stating Max is still in the lead of the WC, in other words "just make sure you take him out properly next race"

Lewis stands up and talks about maturity, how some drivers are over the edge and how he has avoided contact with Verstappen... literally an hour or so after he's crashed into Max because he was 'confused'. Do the FIA usually tell him when it's okay to overtake people?

Here's 30 mins of Hamilton endangering others with reckless driving. The type he now cries about on a weekly basis.

Whataboutery? You bet 😂

58 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Lewis stands up and talks about maturity, how some drivers are over the edge and how he has avoided contact with Verstappen... literally an hour or so after he's crashed into Max because he was 'confused'. Do the FIA usually tell him when it's okay to overtake people?

Martin brundle made a good point about the prang. What would LH have said say MV was having engine issues and the car just died.

Despite all the drama, Verstappen would have lost that race anyway with the decision to go onto medium tyres. 

Hamilton would have passed  him easily late on. 

Interesting decision now for Verstappen. While I don't think he actually did much wrong and that every incident was a 'racing incident', now that between the race director and the stewards he's been effectively branded reckless and dangerous, what is his approach in the final race? If Mercedes have the pace again. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

103 grand prix wins. Suppose he's just been lucky.

Interesting decision now for Verstappen. While I don't think he actually did much wrong and that every incident was a 'racing incident', now that between the race director and the stewards he's been effectively branded reckless and dangerous, what is his approach in the final race? If Mercedes have the pace again. 

He's an unbelievable driver, I'm most certainly not trying to downplay that. Whilst I'm no fan, I respect and admire his ability (and a lot of what he does off track) a huge amount.

Verstappen is basically just McLaren Hamilton though. All his holier than though schtick wears thin when all the reckless aggressive stuff could have been, and was, thrown at him when he was that age.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/4346905/rivals-slam-dangerous-lewis

He's happy to dish it out but won't take it. Mercedes are the same imo.

14 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Martin brundle made a good point about the prang. What would LH have said say MV was having engine issues and the car just died.

You know it's a fair point when it's Brundle not entirely toeing the Mercedes line 😂

But, all that said above. How great it is to have a thread on here where everyone is clearly engaged and loving the battle. It's been far too long. I just hope Lewis stays a while yet so we can get more of it!

25 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I disagree that he didn't do much wrong. There was an incident earlier on in the race where Hamilton had passed Max going into the first(?) Corner and Max didn't break at all and had to run very wide and didn't make the corner. He did the same either in the last or 2 grand Prix ago.. he is determined to cash and it's dangerous. 

Anyway, regardless of who likes who and who did what.. that was brilliant entertainment. This has been the best season for years and years. 

Loving it. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Schumacher and Senna both got away with it to win championships and remain revered; Schumacher failed to get away with it when trying to take out Jacques Villeneuve but thought he could get away with it again. I have very little doubt that Verstappen will happily take Hamilton out in the final race in order to win the championship. He's focused on one thing only and doesn't give a toss if it leaves a bad taste in the mouth for others. He may be an excellent driver but he's not a sportsman.

44 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Must have all been the other person's fault...right?

2nd video - Alban - he was entitled to be where he was, Alban turned into him.  Defo not his fault! 

The rest were years ago... Not a huge lewis fan, and all I was saying was that Max is a little bit 'too aggressive' and if, on 2 occasions, it had been a less 'good' driver than Lewis, there would have been a massive crash. - Also, did he not park his car on Lewis head earlier this year? 

For the final race the FIA should outline what the punishment would be if a driver is found to deliberately take out another driver i.e. a points penalty.

The title should be won fairly, not by another Schumacher scenario.

1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

2nd video - Alban - he was entitled to be where he was, Alban turned into him.  Defo not his fault!  

Stewards felt differently and awarded him a 5 second penalty. 

The rest were years ago... Not a huge lewis fan, and all I was saying was that Max is a little bit 'too aggressive' and if, on 2 occasions, it had been a less 'good' driver than Lewis, there would have been a massive crash. - Also, did he not park his car on Lewis head earlier this year? 

Max is aggressive, as were many others...including Lewis. I don't mind folk being called out for being too aggressive, I just think Hamilton has some cheek doing it given what he was doing at Max's age which saw many on the grid calling him out for the same stuff. They are years ago, because that's when he was about ages with Verstappen.

As for the bit in bold, he did; but this year also saw Hamilton put him into the barriers at 300km/h which saw him pick up a penalty for causing a collision too

Whilst I'm tit-for-tatting, it's only because Hamilton is making out like he's this super-careful and considerate driver...which historically he's been anything but and even on occasion this year too. 

Mercedes are sculpting a narrative arc which imo is revisionist in regards to Hamilton and people lap it up.

Edited by Taffin

I P Knightley
On 06/12/2021 at 13:03, hmfc_liam06 said:

For the final race the FIA should outline what the punishment would be if a driver is found to deliberately take out another driver i.e. a points penalty.

The title should be won fairly, not by another Schumacher scenario.

It's hard to imagine them dishing out a points penalty to swing things in Hamilton's favour when Verstappen takes him out. Verstappen could lose all points from the race but he'd still be World Champion.

On the question of which of them is the more reckless/dangerous; this year it has to be Verstappen. 12 years ago or so, it would have been Hamilton. Drivers tend to mature. It's fair of Hamilton to call out Verstappen but he can't deny that he was occasionally similar (although I do believe that Verstappen has more of a God complex).

It's maybe worth noting that if Verstappen was a little more measured, he'd have eased off at Silverstone and had a whole race to catch up and overtake (or get by on tyre stops). Even then, if he hadn't, he'd probably have come second which would have meant (all else being equal) he'd currently be 18 points clear.

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

It's hard to imagine them dishing out a points penalty to swing things in Hamilton's favour when Verstappen takes him out. Verstappen could lose all points from the race but he'd still be World Champion.

On the question of which of them is the more reckless/dangerous; this year it has to be Verstappen. 12 years ago or so, it would have been Hamilton. Drivers tend to mature. It's fair of Hamilton to call out Verstappen but he can't deny that he was occasionally similar (although I do believe that Verstappen has more of a God complex).

It's maybe worth noting that if Verstappen was a little more measured, he'd have eased off at Silverstone and had a whole race to catch up and overtake (or get by on tyre stops). Even then, if he hadn't, he'd probably have come second which would have meant (all else being equal) he'd currently be 18 points clear.

Yeah I can’t see it either but it would be good if they put Verstappen on notice by saying what the penalty would be ahead of the race.

Everyone wants a clean race and the best man coming out on top.

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah I can’t see it either but it would be good if they put Verstappen on notice by saying what the penalty would be ahead of the race.

Everyone wants a clean race and the best man coming out on top.

Michael Masi race director has done that. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59593834

Edited by Mikey1874

I P Knightley

Qualifying about to begin. Merc will be desperate to have Bottas ahead of Verstappen so that the latter struggles to get to Hamilton in the race.

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

And so it begins. The dastardly cheating foreign type up against the good upright British heart of oak chap. 

:bwcornette:

I P Knightley
10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And so it begins. The dastardly cheating foreign type up against the good upright British heart of oak chap. 

It's Brexit all over!

adambraejambo

My ideal scenario is Max tries to take Lewis out but fails and ruins his own car and is forced to retire . Lewis is leading but gets a puncture on last lap and as he tries to nurse his car home he has to watch 10 cars overtake him as he finishes 11th and out the points. Hamilton who was holding onto the fastest lap loses  it as Perez beats it on the very last lap to finish 2nd behind Botas. I'd p#sh myself laughing. 

On 05/12/2021 at 19:23, Sooperstar said:

Verstappen is a proper racer. Just let them get on with it in my opinion. Away with the safety.

I actually don't think Verstappen does much wrong. Only one really justified penalty this season when he ended up on Hamilton's car.

But as with all bullies I doubt he likes it back. Interesting if the cars are closer in performance next season or if not if Mercedes might use George Russell tactically to fight fire with fire. 

4 minutes ago, adambraejambo said:

My ideal scenario is Max tries to take Lewis out but fails and ruins his own car and is forced to retire . Lewis is leading but gets a puncture on last lap and as he tries to nurse his car home he has to watch 10 cars overtake him as he finishes 11th and out the points. Hamilton who was holding onto the fastest lap loses  it as Perez beats it on the very last lap to finish 2nd behind Botas. I'd p#sh myself laughing. 

:D That's a very precise ideal scenario. It would make for a fun grand prix though.