Nine Unbeaten ( edited )

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, Gambo said:

So Stendel didn't get us bottom or demoted?

Stendel taken us bottom, but we were demoted due to a vote, we weren't relegated. 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• Thomaso

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

If we turned even just one of they 3 draws into a win it would have looked a lot better. Not going to get the flags out about but its a good run so to speak, performance have been frustrating at times and I've been critical of them but we've put a run together that no one else in the league has.

Fair, hopefully we add a few wins to that and make the run more respectable and more importantly get promoted. 

1 hour ago, Billy Hoyle said:

I agree with that. The objective was to get out of the league and we will do that although we have looked less than convincing in a good few matches. Neilson deserves at least 1 round of fixtures maybe even 15 games next season to be judged on how the teams fairs in the Premier League. 

A successful transfer window would help a lot imo. 

14 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Stendel taken us bottom, 

Surely didn't count as he didn't have full season?

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Gambo said:

Surely didn't count as he didn't have full season?

He still taken us from 11th to 12th in his time here. 

Why wouldn't that count, it happened? 

Whether he would have kept us up is open for debate ( a boring one that has been done to death), I think he would have, but we'll never know. 

What it's got to do with going 7 unbeaten and if we can go the rest of season unbeaten I have no idea tho. 

The strange obsession to turn every thread into a Stendel discussion is really weird, but obviously catching. 

How folk get from seven unbeaten in the championship and can we go the rest of the season to.... Stendel never demoted us is fantastic mental gymnastics, even if it is for reasons I cannot fathom. 

2 hours ago, WDJ87 said:

Well in answer to the op.

I doubt we will go the rest of the season unbeaten. I'd like to see us finish strong rather than limp over the line. Win all games at Tynecastle but draws and a loss away from home. Brora will be a laugh, massive banana skin.

FFS please DON'T 😕

I had forgotten about that. 

11 minutes ago, luckydug said:

A successful transfer window would help a lot imo. 

So will a full pre-season with the players we are keeping. It seems to have been a season of waiting on one player or another getting fit or match fit. Halliday, McEneff,  Gnando, GMS. Be nice to see everyone fit and raring to go. Getting of to a good start will be vital next season.  

Edited by GinRummy

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

So will a full pre-season with the players we are keeping. It seems to have been a season of waiting on one player or another getting fit or match fit. Halliday, McEneff,  Gnando, GMS. Be nice to see everyone fit and raring to go. Getting of to a good start will be vital next season.  

You can see how we are building a team for next season . A few already in . We need 1-2 CH . I think Halkett is solid and will get better with a decent partner and defensive midfielder .

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, WDJ87 said:

Well in answer to the op.

I doubt we will go the rest of the season unbeaten. I'd like to see us finish strong rather than limp over the line. Win all games at Tynecastle but draws and a loss away from home. Brora will be a laugh, massive banana skin.

I think even with a defeat or two we won't be limping over the line, we'll be well clear imo. 

Brora..... Can you imagine! 

Just now, johnthomas said:

You can see how we are building a team for next season . A few already in . We need 1-2 CH . I think Halkett is solid and will get better with a decent partner and defensive midfielder .

We’ve certainly got a decent mix of attack minded players now. Been fairly pleased with the January window additions. I think most of our summer signings will be more defensive players, assuming nobody we don’t want to lose leaves. 

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Whether he would have kept us up is open for debate ( a boring one that has been done to death), I think he would have, but we'll never know. 

What it's got to do with going 7 unbeaten and if we can go the rest of season unbeaten I have no idea tho. 

The strange obsession to turn every thread into a Stendel discussion is really weird, but obviously catching. 

How folk get from seven unbeaten in the championship and can we go the rest of the season to.... Stendel never demoted us is fantastic mental gymnastics, even if it is for reasons I cannot fathom. 

A poster pointed out the fact that Neilson didn't get DUFC promoted when they lost to SMFC on pens, you said it didn't count as he did not have the full season.

Now you keep reminding us of the fact that Stendel took us down a place to bottom even although he did not have a full season or the season was able to be completed.

If you are going to bang on about Stendel taking us down one place , you have to accept Neilson did not get DUFC promoted at first attempt.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I think even with a defeat or two we won't be limping over the line, we'll be well clear imo. 

Brora..... Can you imagine! 

Yes Brora 🤔

I can see it now. 

After an extra time penalty win which has seen no Hearts fans with any finger nails left. 

Robbie appears for his press interview and assures us all that Brora is a hard place to get a result and he is now looking forward to a tough game against Stranraer. 

No such thing as an easy game etc etc etc. 

davemclaren
15 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Yes Brora 🤔

I can see it now. 

After an extra time penalty win which has seen no Hearts fans with any finger nails left. 

Robbie appears for his press interview and assures us all that Brora is a hard place to get a result and he is now looking forward to a tough game against Stranraer. 

No such thing as an easy game etc etc etc. 

Brora is a hard place to get anything much I imagine. 

eyesandears
12 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Robbie's league record in Scotland.-( stolen from another poster)

( I wish you and Tonto all the best btw, seems like a nice guy)

Undoubtedly keep him as he's a winner at this level and give him a chance next season as he's shown he has the quality to succeed in the top flight. His league record as a Head Coach and Manager in Scotland is very good. But I accept I'll sacrifice entertaining football if that's the cost of Hearts winning football and end-of-season success. 

2020/21 - Top from start until now and probably until finish. Champions elect.

WWWLWWWWWLWLWWWDDDW

2019/20 - Top from start to finish with DUFC - a team that had failed for the previous four seasons. Champions.

WWWWLWWLLWWWWWWWWWDWWDLDWLDD

2016/17 - Leaves Hearts in 2nd place in Premiership after 15 games losing only three games

LDWWWLDWWLDDDWW

2015/16 - 3rd place finish in Premiership, 9 points ahead of 4th and qualifying for Europe.

WWWWWLLLDDWWWWDDLWWDDWDWLWWWWLLWDLLDWD

2014/15 - Top from start to finish with a club just out of admin setting records. Champions

WWWWDWWWWWDWWWWWWWDWLWWWWWWWWWLWLWWD

I've updated it on the original Robbie poll thread now. Another positive is the current seven undefeated is the best sequence of league results for us this season. Previous undefeated league sequences as seen above were 3, 5, 1 and now 7 (and counting hopefully). Robbie is delivering what he was brought to the club to do. Anything else - in my opinion - is simply noise.

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, Gambo said:

A poster pointed out the fact that Neilson didn't get DUFC promoted when they lost to SMFC on pens, you said it didn't count as he did not have the full season.

Now you keep reminding us of the fact that Stendel took us down a place to bottom even although he did not have a full season or the season was able to be completed.

If you are going to bang on about Stendel taking us down one place , you have to accept Neilson did not get DUFC promoted at first attempt.

Ofc I accept that, it happened. 

I'm not too arsed about what Robbie done with Utd Tbh either, what he done with us and what he is doing with us now that is important to me. 

I was using another posters full season data to show his league record. 

I don't give too much of a  **** what Robbie done at Utd or mk dons Tbh, I'm a Hearts fan. 

Stendel, sigh. 

Using your logic CL never helped us get demoted either as he had less games than Stendel and the season wasn't finished. 

Cracking logic...... 

I'm not even sure of any point you are making either. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, eyesandears said:

I've updated it on the original Robbie poll thread now. Another positive is the current seven undefeated is the best sequence of league results for us this season. Previous undefeated league sequences as seen above were 3, 5, 1 and now 7 (and counting hopefully). Robbie is delivering what he was brought to the club to do. Anything else - in my opinion - is simply noise.

👍

Good info. 

54 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

45 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Now you keep reminding us of the fact that Stendel took us down a place to bottom

This is a Kickback myth, and is repeated on every single thread where Stendel's record is discussed.

When Levein was sacked we were 11th, but when Stendel took over we were 10th, courtesy of a win against St Midden and a draw with Livingston during McPhee's 5 matches in charge.

Pedantic I know, but hey, it's how I roll.

The league table before Stendel's first game. ⬇️

Screenshot_20210307-130340~3.png

19 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Ofc I accept that, it happened. 

I'm not too arsed about what Robbie done with Utd Tbh either, what he done with us and what he is doing with us now that is important to me. 

I was using another posters full season data to show his league record. 

I don't give too much of a  **** what Robbie done at Utd or mk dons Tbh, I'm a Hearts fan. 

Stendel, sigh. 

Using your logic CL never helped us get demoted either as he had less games than Stendel and the season wasn't finished. 

Cracking logic...... 

I'm not even sure of any point you are making either. 

It is your logic, not mine. 

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Apart from the clap.

We'll, you are a happy clap-per

Fluorescent Adolescent
1 hour ago, eyesandears said:

Good post.

Fluorescent Adolescent
1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

This is a Kickback myth, and is repeated on every single thread where Stendel's record is discussed.

When Levein was sacked we were 11th, but when Stendel took over we were 10th, courtesy of a win against St Midden and a draw with Livingston during McPhee's 5 matches in charge.

Pedantic I know, but hey, it's how I roll.

The league table before Stendel's first game. ⬇️

Screenshot_20210307-130340~3.png

Another good post.

All he had to do was keep us 10th or drop us to 11th. Nah, 4 points adrift in 12th it was.

Had we appointed RN then instead of DS, we’d still be in the Premiership.

An utter shambles of an appointment that cost us millions.

5 minutes ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

Another good post.

All he had to do was keep us 10th or drop us to 11th. Nah, 4 points adrift in 12th it was.

Had we appointed RN then instead of DS, we’d still be in the Premiership.

An utter shambles of an appointment that cost us millions.

The season wasn’t finished. It wasn’t Stendel’s appointment that cost us millions. 

In fact, laying it all at his door is complete and utter shite the more I think about it. 

Edited by GinRummy

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Gambo said:

So Stendel didn't get us bottom or demoted?

Stendel took over a sinking ship and made the hole bigger.

That followed a series of unfortunate events since Neilson left. Cathro took over Neilson's well-performing ship and punched a hole in it.

Levein took over that sinking ship, patched it up, got it working again then headed straight for an iceberg full steam ahead. McPhee briefly kept it afloat then Stendel did the rest.

Neilson is trying to get the ship going again after all of this, and so far is doing his job.

Ahoy.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Fluorescent Adolescent
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

The season wasn’t finished. It wasn’t Stendel’s appointment that cost us millions. 

In fact, laying it all at his door is complete and utter shite the more I think about it. 

No shit the season wasn’t finished.

And I’m not laying it all at his door but he had the best part of 4 months to maintain our position in the league. What we got served was utterly shambolic.

He failed miserably.

Little wonder he’s unemployed.

Just now, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

No shit the season wasn’t finished.

And I’m not laying it all at his door but he had the best part of 4 months to maintain our position in the league. What we got served was utterly shambolic.

He failed miserably.

Little wonder he’s unemployed.

You did lay it at his door you said his appointment cost us millions. How much did Levein’s appointment cost us, also unemployed btw. We were on a decline for years before Stendel arrived. We then got robbed of the last few games. Appointment cost us millions my arse. 

Fluorescent Adolescent
Just now, GinRummy said:

You did lay it at his door you said his appointment cost us millions. How much did Levein’s appointment cost us, also unemployed btw. We were on a decline for years before Stendel arrived. We then got robbed of the last few games. Appointment cost us millions my arse. 

You’re surely not arguing that it was the wrong appointment?

We were garbage before he arrived. Somehow he made our situation worse.

10 minutes ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

What I’m arguing about was that it was his fault we were demoted. He had 4 months to fix years of rot and failed, the fact Bongo is so in love with him doesn’t change the role levein and co and the spfl had in our demotion. The stuff about DS recently lays all the blame at his door. All he had to do was keep us tenth etc etc. Why the **** were we 10th in the first place? The absolute shambles left in Levein’s wake is consistently underestimated and more recently ignored. 

Edited by GinRummy

Fluorescent Adolescent

What I’m arguing about was that it was his fault we were demoted. He had 4 months to fix years of rot and failed, the fact Bongo is so in love with him doesn’t change the role levein and co and the spfl had in our demotion. The stuff about DS recently lays all the blame at his door. All he had to do was keep us tenth etc etc. Why the **** were we 10th in the first place? The absolute shamble left in Levein’s wake is consistently underestimated and more recently ignored. 

I’ve already stated we were garbage before he arrived. Levein should have left the club

long before he did, Budge made an utter mess of the subsequent appointments. Keeping both CL and AM at the club

whilst DS had to work without his assistants joining him was a disgrace. A multitude of errors were made over a period of many many months.

However,

When Craig Levein left, had the league been halted, we were not in a position that could have seen us demoted.

When Austin Macphee left, had the league been halted, we were not in a position that could have seen us demoted.

Daniel Stendel from the point he arrived to the day the league was halted had dropped us 2 places in the league and had us 4 points from safety.

I’ve made a post on the St Mirren game thread about the performance that night. Up there with the very worst and made all the sickening given it’s importance.

As much as demotion and the shambles that followed was an utter joke, I cannot erase that match from my mind. It smacked of a manager failing to understand the importance of the fixture and not being able to get his side up for the game.

To quote myself again, it was an utter shambles of an appointment that cost us millions.

Guest ToqueJambo
23 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Then why isn't Neilson getting the same leeway as you are giving Stendel? He inherited an even worse mess in an even worse situation - not just being relegated with all the cost cutting that comes with that but in terms of the broader world.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

I’ve already stated we were garbage before he arrived. Levein should have left the club

long before he did, Budge made an utter mess of the subsequent appointments. Keeping both CL and AM at the club

whilst DS had to work without his assistants joining him was a disgrace. A multitude of errors were made over a period of many many months.

However,

When Craig Levein left, had the league been halted, we were not in a position that could have seen us demoted.

When Austin Macphee left, had the league been halted, we were not in a position that could have seen us demoted.

Daniel Stendel from the point he arrived to the day the league was halted had dropped us 2 places in the league and had us 4 points from safety.

I’ve made a post on the St Mirren game thread about the performance that night. Up there with the very worst and made all the sickening given it’s importance.

As much as demotion and the shambles that followed was an utter joke, I cannot erase that match from my mind. It smacked of a manager failing to understand the importance of the fixture and not being able to get his side up for the game.

To quote myself again, it was an utter shambles of an appointment that cost us millions.

Call it an utter shambles of an appointment if you want, it’s difficult to disagree. There were more factors than Stendel that got us demoted and you’ve listed them above quite clearly. Saying his appointment cost us millions is singling out one factor (stendel) and blaming him. You could easily argue keeping Levein on for that season cost us millions or the spfl cost us millions. The fact is a series of terrible decisions as well as the spfl cheating us cost us millions. 

KyleLafferty

Stendel was a disaster. Didn’t know how to set up a team in scotland even though we could All see we were getting done by long balls constantly. He kept on playing lettuce wrists even though he was costing us points. His signings were terrible. Only thing he got right was punting Berra.

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Then why isn't Neilson getting the same leeway as you are giving Stendel? He inherited an even worse mess in an even worse situation - not just being relegated with all the cost cutting that comes with that but in terms of the broader world.

Ask them. Some people gave Stendel leeway and some didn’t. I did, and I’ve stated on numerous occasions that RN should be given time in the top flight after taking us up. 

Guest ToqueJambo
28 minutes ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

Stendel made the same mistake as Cathro, and possibly Levein. All three put their own personal ambitions in terms of the way they wanted to play or the way they wanted certain things to work before getting the results that were needed.

Cathro had this ambition to be a particular type of head coach with his team playing a particular way that he had been thinking about for years and he tried to implement it immediately by ripping up a well-performing team instead of learning about the trade for the rest of that season then implementing his style.

Stendel did the same in terms of trying to implement a new stye in a short time at a crucial part of the season, but in his defence it was his style of play that got him the job. However, he still should have realised quicker than he did that Scottish football is not always the place for those tactics.

Levein had got it into his head that Cathro was next in line since before he appointed Neilson, even though he later admitted throwing him in mid season was not the best time to appoint him. He saw Cathro coming in as the realisation of his original plan and it turned out to be a damaging decision he had to try to rectify himself.

Neilson, by contrast, seems to put results first.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo

Ask them. Some people gave Stendel leeway and some didn’t. I did, and I’ve stated on numerous occasions that RN should be given time in the top flight after taking us up. 

I have but I've given up now 🤣

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

I have but I've given up now 🤣

You know how fickle we all are, I include myself. A run of good results at the start of next season and RN will be flavour of the month again. 

41 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Stendel took over a sinking ship and made the hole bigger.

That followed a series of unfortunate events since Neilson left. Cathro took over Neilson's well-performing ship and punched a hole in it.

Levein took over that sinking ship, patched it up, got it working again then headed straight for an iceberg full steam ahead. McPhee briefly kept it afloat then Stendel did the rest.

Neilson is trying to get the ship going again after all of this, and so far is doing his job.

Ahoy.

Nothing to do with the point being made that it only counts if you have a full season.

Fluorescent Adolescent
13 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Call it an utter shambles of an appointment if you want, it’s difficult to disagree. There were more factors than Stendel that got us demoted and you’ve listed them above quite clearly. Saying his appointment cost us millions is singling out one factor (stendel) and blaming him. You could easily argue keeping Levein on for that season cost us millions or the spfl cost us millions. The fact is a series of terrible decisions as well as the spfl cheating us cost us millions. 

Had we been in a better position, DS would not have been brought to the club. It generally takes a club being in trouble before a manager is relieved of his duties. So I agree, we weren’t in a great place.

That said, Daniel Stendel when he arrived at the club inherited a squad of players better than many others in the league. He inherited a team in 10th place. From that point on all he had to do was keep us there, he could have even afforded to drop us into 11th.

We ended up 4 points adrift in last place under his leadership.

We’ll never know but it’s my belief we wouldn’t have been there had we appointed many other managers, his stubbornness and persistence in a failing system cost us massively.

Its my opinion Heart of Midlothian appointing Daniel Stendel cost the club millions.

You disagree, such is life.

Edited by Fluorescent Adolescent

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Nothing to do with the point being made that it only counts if you have a full season.

That's a new one to me. New managers are brought in for a reason, no matter when they arrive. Stendel had a relegation clause for a reason. Cathro undid all Neilson's good work in half a season. Stendel failed to improve our position and actually made it worse. It was all Cathro's fault that we finished was was it 5th that season, and it was Levein's fault for appointing him. It was Levein and Stendel's fault we got relegated.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

Has we been in a better position, DS would not have been brought to the club. It generally takes a club being in trouble before a manager is relieved of his duties. So I agree, we weren’t in a great place.

That said, Daniel Stendel when he arrived at the club inherited a squad of players better than many others in the league. He inherited a team in 10th place. From that point on all he had to do was keep us there, he could have even afforded to drop us into 11th.

We ended up 4 points adrift in last place under his leadership.

We’ll never know but it’s my belief we wouldn’t have been there had we appointed many other managers, his stubbornness and persistence in a failing system cost us massively.

Its my opinion Heart of Midlothian appointing Daniel Stendel cost the club millions.

You disagree, such is life.

It was Craig Levein that cost us millions. The rot had set in and we were in a downward trajectory that any new boss would have difficulty sorting. By the start of next season, the overpaid non-triers that he brought to the club on high basics and low bonuses that a procession of managers have failed to motivate will, I believe, mostly be gone. RN can barely get them out the doors fast enough, that tells its own story. 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

That's a new one to me. New managers are brought in for a reason, no matter when they arrive. 

I agree.

Your pal SRB does not.

As I said, if you look at the post/conversation I was replying to.

SRB said RN failing to get DUFC up at first time of asking did not count as he did not have the full season.

Guest ToqueJambo

RN can barely get them out the doors fast enough, that tells its own story. 

Indeed he's only done phase 1 of a massive clearout at the same time as doing his job in the league and SC and he's getting stick. He's even managing to get results with quite a few players who probably know their days are numbered at Tynecastle. It's bizarre.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I agree.

Your pal SRB does not.

As I said, if you look at the post/conversation I was replying to.

SRB said RN failing to get DUFC up at first time of asking did not count as he did not have the full season.

I don't know what "doesn't count" means but Neilson's job was to improve the team to get them closer to promotion. Was his target to get them promoted that season? Who knows. He did a better job of that than his predecessors which is no doubt why he got to try again the next year. Stendel's immediate job was simple - keep us up.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Stendel made the same mistake as Cathro, and possibly Levein. All three put their own personal ambitions in terms of the way they wanted to play or the way they wanted certain things to work before getting the results that were needed.

Cathro had this ambition to be a particular type of head coach with his team playing a particular way that he had been thinking about for years and he tried to implement it immediately by ripping up a well-performing team instead of learning about the trade for the rest of that season then implementing his style.

Stendel did the same in terms of trying to implement a new stye in a short time at a crucial part of the season, but in his defence it was his style of play that got him the job. However, he still should have realised quicker than he did that Scottish football is not always the place for those tactics.

Levein had got it into his head that Cathro was next in line since before he appointed Neilson, even though he later admitted throwing him in mid season was not the best time to appoint him. He saw Cathro coming in as the realisation of his original plan and it turned out to be a damaging decision he had to try to rectify himself.

Neilson, by contrast, seems to put results first.

Might not have changed things but Cathro should have been joint or assistant to Levein for the rest of that first season to bed him in.

Anyway...

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

Stendel was a disaster. Didn’t know how to set up a team in scotland even though we could All see we were getting done by long balls constantly. He kept on playing lettuce wrists even though he was costing us points. His signings were terrible. Only thing he got right was punting Berra.

lettuce wrists,😂, still cant get over how bad he was.

or is.

Edited by Harry Potter

9 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

Have you seen the state of other teams ? The Premiership looks utterly stinking and not much better than this league outside the OF.

See Aberdeen as a perfect example.

Yes i have seen them, i have also seen them finish above us. 

Just need to wait and see. 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It was Craig Levein that cost us millions. The rot had set in and we were in a downward trajectory that any new boss would have difficulty sorting. By the start of next season, the overpaid non-triers that he brought to the club on high basics and low bonuses that a procession of managers have failed to motivate will, I believe, mostly be gone. RN can barely get them out the doors fast enough, that tells its own story. 

The high basic low salary wage structure was a complete farce!

• davemclaren changed the title to Nine Unbeaten ( edited )