Budge Speaks

Sertse

Rocky jamboa

She has to take a big chunk of the blame for the losses we're looking at. Being in the championship has probably cost us at least £3m in prize money and sponsorship, which has happened due to her sticking with levein for too long and overseeing an horrendous recruitment process over the last 5 years or so. Waster £500k on the legal process, which we wouldn't have had to go through if we weren't so poor. Our squad is too big for a 27 game season and we are wasting millions a year on guys like damour and frear, who don't get a game, plus probably subsidising the wages of loan players, such as Wighton and Roberts. We should have played guys like Moore, Henderson and cochrane this season, as opposed to wasting more wages on frear, Roberts and the new winger they've brought in. She has also overspent big style on the stadium. 

Covid has made things even worse but she should take responsibility for her share of the blame. 

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• Bazzas right boot

• Gambo

33 minutes ago, Pilmuir said:

Yes we do need to plan beyond Anderson's generosity. I think I read somewhere on the forum that he is in for 5 years, which is an incredible commitment. Add this to the FoH donations and there is a huge amount of money coming into the club that other teams don't have, which makes it all the more frustrating that we are not currently using it to good effect. 

That's what you get when you employ people you see as the safe option. That's the ambition, primarily a safe pair of hands. Does this not just scream insecurity? And what were a safe pair of hands needed for? Because the previous safe pair of hands Levein lead an unfit injury prone ageing uninspired  poorly coached rudderless group. 

She talks about knee jerk reactions having taken one in the summer, probably with no real idea of the strength of  league the previous coach would have been working in. Oh, beyond bizarrely claiming she'd be looking  to win every game, again highlighting a lack of self awareness.

9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think making top 6 is what we should expect. Top four would be a very good season on first season up, as it was for us and Hibs. 

Top 6 should be expected yes, but I'd go further and say it's the absolute minimum, with anything less seeing Neilson getting his jotters.

Top 4 is a realistic target, as we'd only be finishing above 1 team with a similar budget. 

3 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Top 6 should be expected yes, but I'd go further and say it's the absolute minimum, with anything less seeing Neilson getting his jotters.

Top 4 is a realistic target, as we'd only be finishing above 1 team with a similar budget. 

I think we should be challenging for the top 4 next season as a minimum requirement. So if we finish 5th 3-5 pts of 4th, that would be a baseline minimum. Doesn't mean it is acceptable, just a bare minimum. 

I'd expect top 4 and finishing above Hibs. 

Edited by Cruyff

David Black

I'll ask the same type of question raised at the 2019 AGM , the question that brought a titter from some and obviously threw Ann for a second or two. That was did she have a contingency plan in place if we got relegated. My question, does she have a contingency plan in place if we fail to gain promotion. The question raised in 2019 was far more likely to happen than what is likely now, but if ever a club can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, then it is us.

22 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

That's a minimum of half the first eleven. That's yet more major surgery.

Yes but along with the better ones mentioned you still keep a few of the squad that maybe aren't so high profile. It would be enough to consolidate our League status to start with, then look to start bringing in only one or two players in transfer windows rather than a whole load of squad-fillers. The team would be something along the lines of 

Gordon 

Smith (new or backup right-back)

Kingsley 

new centre half 

new centre-half

Haring (if fit)

Walker

McEneff (new attacking midfielder)

Boyce

Naismith (new striker)

Mackay-Steven

Three of them could be subs if we've signed for the five positions i mentioned. Smith, McEneff, Naismith for example and you'd have other squad players like Halliday, Gnanduillet, some youngsters and possibly even Ginelly back. There is still a lot of dross hanging about the corridors of Tynie and any money saved by getting rid of about 8 or 9 of them would help fund better quality. At least it would be a start.

46 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I think the actual players/positions scenario is well understood (although I disagree about Naismith - he's well past it) . My point is - there's an £8 million loss of income (maybe more if no fans in 2021 ?) . Hearts are gonna be short of cash (there's  gonna have to be some cash spent because the current lot won't keep us in the Prem) and it's gonna be an issue for some time to come. The quality of players we can sign will suffer (unless someone can pull some rabbits out of the hat). Either Hearts will sign fewer replacements next season or the quality will suffer is my forecast. 

I think Hearts are miles away from being competitive in the Prem - a total lack of pace & power in the team needs to be rectified. Given where Hearts have been shopping of late, I don't expect any major improvements next season because the money just isn't there. 

You ignore that everyone will be suffering financially, 'better' teams will need to reduce costs offload players etc. We should be able to pick up some players quite cheaply (for nothing) and pay better wages than they would otherwise attract!

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

2016, Hearts' first season back: 3rd.

2017, Rangers' first season back: 3rd.

2018, Hibs' first season back: 4th (18 points above Hearts).

2022: Oh well we can't expect Hearts to do very well this season, realistically if we make the top 6 that will be a great success.

Seems legit.

Low standards, it’s the Budge era encapsulated. 

3 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Yes but along with the better ones mentioned you still keep a few of the squad that maybe aren't so high profile. It would be enough to consolidate our League status to start with, then look to start bringing in only one or two players in transfer windows rather than a whole load of squad-fillers. The team would be something along the lines of 

Gordon 

Smith (new or backup right-back)

Kingsley 

new centre half 

new centre-half

Haring (if fit)

Walker

McEneff (new attacking midfielder)

Boyce

Naismith (new striker)

Mackay-Steven

Three of them could be subs if we've signed for the five positions i mentioned. Smith, McEneff, Naismith for example and you'd have other squad players like Halliday, Gnanduillet, some youngsters and possibly even Ginelly back. There is still a lot of dross hanging about the corridors of Tynie and any money saved by getting rid of about 8 or 9 of them would help fund better quality. At least it would be a start.

Interesting that you've got Gnanduillet listed as a squad player.  I don't think he was brought in to be a squad player and once he's up to speed fitness wise I think he'll be a regular starter

4 hours ago, Gambo said:

I never get that argument.

It is same with League Cup.

It is like when we lose to a shower of shite, someone comes along making out it is acceptable, because one day another side also lost to a shower of shite.  

Just now, Firefox said:

Interesting that you've got Gnanduillet listed as a squad player.  I don't think he was brought in to be a squad player and once he's up to speed fitness wise I think he'll be a regular starter

It all depends on who's fit as to who's on the bench. I wasn't picking on Gnanduillet in particular or saying he is only a squad player. They are all technically squad players until the team sheet is announced. 

I realise what you're saying but it has to be remembered that there would be times when a player (Gnanduillet for example) will be benched for a rest for to give someone else a game in the early rounds of Cups etc. or if not fully fit. The ideal duo of what we have at the moment would be Gnanduillet and Boyce but i still think we're short of another striker even with Naismith included. Like everyone else, i hope that Gnanduillet is a success and becomes a major player.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 hours ago, smiler said:

What a load of utter pish, the comparison is miles apart. 

Your post is on a par with some of the guff that our board spamming village idiot would come out with. 

Try living up to your moniker. That really is pish :lol:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
15 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Comparing us to the team who havent lost a game all season while we pick up draws to QOTS and Morton 😂😂

Yip. Budget and proportions. 

Too thick ?

37 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think we should be challenging for the top 4 next season as a minimum requirement. So if we finish 5th 3-5 pts of 4th, that would be a baseline minimum. Doesn't mean it is acceptable, just a bare minimum. 

I'd expect top 4 and finishing above Hibs. 

Top 4 and finishing above Hibs sound like an acceptable aim. All this establish ourselves in top flight chat just isn't enough. 

18 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Too thick ?

Budget and opposition ???

Are we unbeaten?

The biggest issue I have with Ann Budge is she is running the football side too much like any other business.

Football without fans is nothing but she is happy to keep that going because having a smaller number of socially distanced fans in the stadium is not as financially viable as having none and everyone watching a shitty stream at home.

In fact the real reason she is happy with no fans in the ground is because there is no misbehaving going on, or the ability to boo the manager/players or board. She couldn't have it any cosier right now and she is loving it. Shame it is sucking the life out the club.

When did she last praise the fans for the FoH money helping keep the club going? Don't see it mentioned in her EEN interview but she acknowledges the government grant etc.

Edited by kila

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

There will still be a minority of two FOH reps on the club board as at present but the FoH governance arrangements make it clear FoH will not when it gains control interfere in the day to day running of the club. I read that as saying they won't for example call for the manager to be sacked or have a say in any replacement. (Which is I think on the whole is a a good thing). And in any event the rest of the Board can over-ride them if they did do so. 

What changes with a controlling  majority share ownership (if and when it happens) is that FoH will have the ability to "sack the Board" (as we used to say) at an AGM or EGM. That should be more than enough to influence Board decisions (if and when FoH decides to do so).

As posted before I don't think FOH representation on the club board, now or in the future, adds much other than making FoH collectively responsible for whatever messes the club board creates.  

Thanks for that explanation FA.   It sort of chimes with the point my post was trying to make - namely that after the share transfer, FoH members (contributors) getting annoyed by team performances/results will have pretty much the same influence on the HMFC board over football matters as they do now (none apart from shouty emails and JKB posts).   Looking through posts here suggests that some fans advocating "Budge oot" seem to think that everything will be to their  liking once FoH become the owner.        

Not read the thread yet but watching the clip:

- not sure Ann is in a position to advise that one of the problems in football is being too quick to act given what she has overseen on the pitch whilst taking far too long to act and then doing exactly what she's criticising by flying Stendal on the scrap heap after a few months.

- usually this kind of statement is followed by a manager departing a club in the following days/weeks.

Edited by Taffin

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I agree that, assuming we get promoted and FoH contributions stay at a similar level, financially we should be at a similar level to them, ignoring any European income. Our income is impacted this season by being in the championship and, as with everyone, the pandemic. 

The issue is that we start at a lower playing base ( evidenced by our finishing position last season ) so that gap needs to be crossed which will likely take a few windows. 

I agree. But still begs the question of who took and takes responsibility for us having such a low playing base. Levein I suppose but Ann backed him all the way, long after the decline in our playing base was obvious and threatening our ability to compete  in the top half of the top tier. "We're 8 points off fourth" seemed an acceptable view. 

1 hour ago, Jambo61 said:

You ignore that everyone will be suffering financially, 'better' teams will need to reduce costs offload players etc. We should be able to pick up some players quite cheaply (for nothing) and pay better wages than they would otherwise attract!

No - if anything , it might be a case of clubs off-loading dross and retaining their best players (that sounds familiar).  Hearts weren't just hit by the pandemic - they had the double whammy of the Championship so AB was forecasting lost millions simply on the back of that. 

But maybe Joe Savage will work his magic, no more "projects" and no more L1 dross. Here's hoping. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

Gordon Ramsay
43 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Too thick ?

Gambo has already made my point a few posts up. 

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

- not sure Ann is in a position to advise that one of the problems in football is being too quick to act given what she has overseen on the pitch 

- usually this kind of statement is followed by a manager departing a club in the following days/weeks

I agree with your 1st point.

For the 2nd - seems a bit strange AB felt the need to make a public statement given there's been no public criticism of Neilson (there's no crowds).  I can only think the club's getting over sensitive about the stuff on here - or Stevo's comments, maybe ? 

3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

No - if anything , it might be a case of clubs off-loading dross and retaining their best players (that sounds familiar).  Hearts weren't just hit by the pandemic - they had the double whammy of the Championship so AB was forecasting lost millions simply on the back of that. 

But maybe Joe Savage will work his magic, no more "projects" and no more L1 dross. Here's hoping. 

No - if anything players that would have been kept will be let go by other clubs seeking to reduce wages and lower costs/ losses! We already pay higher wages and should be in a position to take some advantage, particularly as we NEED BETTER PLAYERS!

Just now, Jambo61 said:

No - if anything players that would have been kept will be let go by other clubs seeking to reduce wages and lower costs/ losses! We already pay higher wages and should be in a position to take some advantage, particularly as we NEED BETTER PLAYERS!

No need to shout.

We can agree to disagree. 

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

For the 2nd - seems a bit strange AB felt the need to make a public statement given there's been no public criticism of Neilson (there's no crowds).  I can only think the club's getting over sensitive about the stuff on here - or Stevo's comments, maybe ? 

Just for clarity I don't think the 2nd part will pan out the way it usually does as we're quite clearly not ran like a normal football club, but I agree, it's a weird thing to address in public when there doesn't appear to be a huge amount of heat in public other than on here.

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

She really has to go. Sounded to me like she essentially has ruled out next season? If Hearts finish below 4th ever, the manager should go. 

:berra:    I understand your sentiment and ambition.  Hopefully you realise the consequence of that policy though - regular big pay-offs to sacked managers & coaches, new guy comes in and starts another rebuild,   fans post stuff on there asking why we keep having  big rebuilds.  etc etc etc 

merry go round dog GIF

3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Nailed it. Maybe we can get her to make another statement if we hold an 'Ann Budge Opinion Poll'? :whistling:

3 minutes ago, kila said:

Nailed it. Maybe we can get her to make another statement if we hold an 'Ann Budge Opinion Poll'? :whistling:

The place would implode :rofl:

41 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Top 4 and finishing above Hibs sound like an acceptable aim. All this establish ourselves in top flight chat just isn't enough. 

Yep, it's absolute bollocks. 

18 hours ago, OTT said:

My understanding is that he runs the day to day operations of the club. I imagine the footballing element falls under Savages remit. So you have McKinley reporting to the board on the commercial aspect of the club and Savage reporting on the footballing aspect of the club. 

I don't see a huge lot wrong with it, you want people who know their fields and business people generally are better at business than football and vice versa. It makes sense to me on a common sense level. But how it works in practise remains to be seen. 

So is he the commercial director or a bloody CEO? Everyone should report up and into the CEO with the CEO the ultimate decision maker. We are being ran by committee like a sodding 1930's junior side.

Japan Jambo

Wonder what the rationale behind giving the interview was? Her comments were pretty vanilla and what I'd expect her to say.

The three year comment was in the context of him returning, given that he's bailed on us previously and she'd identified him as her preferred candidate that would make sense at that time. 

My takeaway is that she seems happy enough with her appointment but isn't tin eared to the criticism of him - perhaps she has been finding it difficult to watch too?

13 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

:berra:    I understand your sentiment and ambition.  Hopefully you realise the consequence of that policy though - regular big pay-offs to sacked managers & coaches, new guy comes in and starts another rebuild,   fans post stuff on there asking why we keep having  big rebuilds.  etc etc etc 

merry go round dog GIF

Sorry but if an incoming manager won't back himself to get 4th or better contractually then I don't want him in charge of Hearts in the first place. Quite easy to insert performance related break clauses in contracts.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I think making top 6 is what we should expect. Top four would be a very good season on first season up, as it was for us and Hibs. 

I agree, but expectations are one thing, achieving them is a different matter.

Frankly with the current squad - or should I say with the current squad playing like they are - I would say keeping up would be an achievement. 

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

Sorry but if an incoming manager won't back himself to get 4th or better contractually then I don't want him in charge of Hearts in the first place. Quite easy to insert performance related break clauses in contracts.

Yeah, but no manager on earth will sign up to it. 

The idea that the current squad - with a few tweaks - is going to be challenging for 4th or better next season is delusional. Hearts are in the Champ, getting bossed by Pars & Dundee (for starters) and you think Neilson will be signing up to "4th or better" ? 

davemclaren
Just now, chrystaf said:

Frankly with the current squad - or should I say with the current squad playing like they are - I would say keeping up would be an achievement. 

I don’t believe the current squad will be next year’s squad though. 

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

I expect us to challenge for 3rd, not because of any master class from RN, more because old firm apart, the SPL is as bad as top half of our league.

We will needlessly plod our way along with horrific football doing the bare minimum.

I think that is fans main problem with RN, the football is needlessly poor.

Your second and third sentences are in contrast to your first.  Plodding our way along will not get us anywhere near third.  Just see how Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen have been punished  by the likes of Ross co, Livvie and St Midden and how the mighty Rangers struggled to beat Livvie last night.

Francis Albert
34 minutes ago, Taffin said:

- not sure Ann is in a position to advise that one of the problems in football is being too quick to act given what she has overseen on the pitch whilst taking far too long to act and then doing exactly what she's criticising by flying Stendal on the scrap heap after a few months.

- usually this kind of statement is followed by a manager departing a club in the following days/weeks.

Spot on. In fact I don't think Ann is in a position to advise on the problems in football at all.  

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Wishful thinking if, as AB alluded to in today's Scotsman article, we won't have a pot of money waiting to be spent on assembling a sizable squad.  Unless our favourite benefactor reaches for his cheque book.   

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Gordon, Souttar, Kingsley, Smith, McEneff, Walker, GMS, Boyce, Gnanduillet, Naismith.

Are you telling me those 10 players won't be here next season? It's nonsense to keep blaming the players and plan to replace them every 6-12 months.

13 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

This is what annoys me. Almost all our players would get a game for most of the Prem teams. Boyce, Kingsley, Gordon, GMS, possibly an in form Smith most certainly Hibs and Aberdeen. The rest could easily get into St Johnstone Dundee Utd... mid table types, Halkett came from Livi. I’d suggest Naismith would get in there somewhere etc. So why are we so shite, it can’t just be Neilson, some of these players predate him, there’s a definite problem with attitude IMO.

10 minutes ago, kila said:

Gordon, Souttar, Kingsley, Smith, McEneff, Walker, GMS, Boyce, Gnanduillet, Naismith.

Are you telling me those 10 players won't be here next season? It's nonsense to keep blaming the players and plan to replace them every 6-12 months.

What I don't get is those who think Robbie winning the Championship sees him 'deserve' and is good enough to get time in the Premiership yet also think we need new players. That logic surely suggests the players we have this year 'deserve' and are good enough to get time in the Premiership too.

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

This is what annoys me. Almost all our players would get a game for most of the Prem teams. Boyce, Kingsley, Gordon, GMS, possibly an in form Smith most certainly Hibs and Aberdeen. The rest could easily get into St Johnstone Dundee Utd... mid table types, Halkett came from Livi. I’d suggest Naismith would get in there somewhere etc. So why are we so shite, it can’t just be Neilson, some of these players predate him, there’s a definite problem with attitude IMO.

Not playing system that suits the personnel. He has little energy in midfield to reach the box. In fact, he employs 2 sitters. He plays two wide players that have no cohesion with the full backs or midfielders and he has a forward isolated. The players are playing a game not to lose possession and get caught by fast breaks. They are playing to his instructions whereas one wide player and an additional midfielder makes us more robust.

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I think the actual players/positions scenario is well understood (although I disagree about Naismith - he's well past it) . My point is - there's an £8 million loss of income (maybe more if no fans in 2021 ?) . Hearts are gonna be short of cash (there's  gonna have to be some cash spent because the current lot won't keep us in the Prem) and it's gonna be an issue for some time to come. The quality of players we can sign will suffer (unless someone can pull some rabbits out of the hat). Either Hearts will sign fewer replacements next season or the quality will suffer is my forecast. 

I think Hearts are miles away from being competitive in the Prem - a total lack of pace & power in the team needs to be rectified. Given where Hearts have been shopping of late, I don't expect any major improvements next season because the money just isn't there. 

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Which are the other clubs (apart from the OF) which will have better income than us next season? There isn't much between us and Aberdeen and Hibs, who will certainly be aiming for a top 4 finish next season. The rest will have significantly lower income.

And who is responsible for getting us into a position where challenging for fourth is in your view "absolute fantasy"

I wonder if AB has factored in the cash from supporters (like me) who will not be attending away game against clubs who did the dirty on us, but will send the money saved on the away ticket to Tynecastle?  The idea of doing that has gone quiet recently but I know that a lot of supporters were for it.

We have more away supporters than anyone outside of the Arse Cheeks I'm sure, and although there will be some retaliation few of these clubs will ballance their loss against our gain.

7 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I'm sure we remember the last time we were in the Championship and the chat coming out of the team was about extra training sessions and how that was making them a much fitter squad.  Outcome: won the Championship, containing Rangers and The Shite, at a canter.

Imagine suggesting that we do the same with this squad.  I can just hear the west coast nasal twang greeting, "Nae ****ing way, man.  Dae you know who ah um?"

Just now, Riccarton3 said:

Not playing system that suits the personnel. He has little energy in midfield to reach the box. In fact, he employs 2 sitters. He plays two wide players that have no cohesion with the full backs or midfielders and he has a forward isolated. The players are playing a game not to lose possession and get caught by fast breaks. They are playing to his instructions whereas one wide player and an additional midfielder makes us more robust.

That’s how we are playing is that Neilsons style though (not taking the piss it’s a genuine question) The full backs and wingers can form their own partnerships and understand each other’s game, the 10 should be the link so the forward isn’t isolated, McEneff is a box to box midfielder but the 10 keeps taking his space and Boyce drops to deep when he doesn’t need too. Why are no balls played in front of our wingers? Even with two sitting one should close the other move into space. I think there’s blame on both parts, no one in our team wants to take responsibility or stay in their positions, however I don’t see RN losing his shit often enough demanding more.

Lone Striker
7 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Valid question.   Not sure its attitude......  maybe some weird coaching/game plan stuff that most of the players have never been exposed to at previous clubs ?   Or maybe over-coaching ..... game plan to rigid and detailed, stifling risk-taking  ?  

On the other hand, lots of teams go through bad spells where they lose 4 or 5 in row, then recover (DU, St.J, Ross Co ).   Maybe this is our bad spell .... although it seems a bloody long one. :wallbash: