Budge Speaks

Sertse

davemclaren
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

So, Joe Savage has the job of helping with recruitment and what else? I understood the DoF role was to be in charge of all football matters but how does Savage duties vary from that? How can you have a director who appears to be on an equal level to a manager? Seems strange to me. 

He’s not a director in the company law sense. Sporting Director is just a job title. 

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• Bazzas right boot

• Gambo

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Savage oot! 

😎 as much as I admire your enthusiasm, let me find out for definite what he does first. I’ve hired the plane but not decided on the writing on the banner yet. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

He’s not a director in the company law sense. Sporting Director is just a job title. 

Aye I do understand that. I’ve worked for companies and had the title of director, sales director, marketing director. That title though, generally meant quite a high level of control. Being in ‘charge’ of helping with recruitment isn’t something that would normally attract that title. Don’t suppose it matters though. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

😎 as much as I admire your enthusiasm, let me find out for definite what he does first. I’ve hired the plane but not decided on the writing on the banner yet. 

Wage feef! 

Guest ToqueJambo
10 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Did he not want Cathro as HC at the beginning of 14/14?

Gordon as goalie coach when he had 6 years (and counting) left in him as a player?

Rudi as technical coach was an insult to him as well. 

But I will agree about Ross, had we appointed him instead of Stendel we would be in the top division and not having any of these arguments right now. And Neilson would still be with Dundee Utd. 

No, he wanted Cathro as U20s manager. Rudi as tech coach sounded good to me. Coaches have to start somewhere. We could still do with a shooting coach. Imagine him passing on the secrets of that left foot?

Guest ToqueJambo
10 hours ago, Gambo said:

Stendel - 

New to country and league.

New to the club.

New to the squad.

Squad had to be tought to play football again.

Previous manager hanging around.

Team was in a relegation battle.

Team was in SPL.

No pre season.

Only able to work in Jan market.

Had to wait to bring in own coaches.

Neilson.

Already knows the club, league and players.

Able to bring in own coaches straight away.

Does not have previous manager banging around.

Team was in SPFL.

Had a full pre season, and a head start on others in league.

Has had a summer market and Jan market to work in.

Yeah, looks like both were dealt with same tough hand.

They were both dealt a tough hand yes. Neilson didn't even nw which league we'd be playing in or when it would start.

Guest ToqueJambo
10 hours ago, The Grim Reaper said:

The happy clappers happily throw Stendel under the bus to protect CL and RN. 

Or because he did such a terrible job of keeping us up? That St Mirren game was a must win and everyone knew it. We not only lost we played terrible, and tat wa after he'd had more than enough time to work with the team. By contrast Neilson's first game was also a must win and we skooshed it. He'd had a few friendlies to work with the team.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

As Gin Rummy posted the title of director is just used in job titles because, as I have heard it explained, "it doesn't cost anything".

It doesn't mean anything without a job spec.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Or because he did such a terrible job of keeping us up?

No one's even ripping Stendel, just pointing out what he did with us. 

Most of the happy clappers would have been happy for Stendel to Continue. Not sure anyone that is backing Robbie was wanting Stendel removed? 

Backing the manager, who would have funk it? 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Smith's right boot said:

No one's even ripping Stendel, just pointing out what he did with us. 

Most of the happy clappers would have been happy for Stendel to Continue. Not sure anyone that is backing Robbie was wanting Stendel removed? 

Backing the manager, who would have funk it? 

I would much rather be back in the Premiership with Stendel in charge. Pretty sure everyone would.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

I would much rather be back in the Premiership with Stendel in charge. Pretty sure everyone would.

Yip. 

2 hours ago, jambonian said:

For me it was a very difficult time for Stendel when he came in. He was on his own and had to quickly choose his assistant from what we had. A stranger at a new club in a new country with no-one around he knows. He chose Andy Kirk whom he reckoned was the only one he could trust. This said by someone who was only in the door so it suggests to me that he wasn't comfortable around the others. I can understand that if you have a previous sacked manager watching your every move. I mean, who in their right mind wants to hang about if you've been sacked!? Stendel would eventually get the coaching team he wanted. His first shock, which he'd said himself was the very poor condition of the players for a supposed professional team. He had to sort out the wheat from the chaff straight away. He spotted the hanger's on and certain individuals in their comfort zone, Whelan for one, Mulraney another. Berra too slow so gets put out to Dundee and bleats to the press that big bad Stendel didn't rate him. Boo-hoo! Budge said she wanted someone who could come in and work with, and improve the players already there, he did that. The difference in Clare, Bozanic and one or two others was clear to see. He was also known for preferring to work with young players, another thing Budge wanted because of the academy. he did that also. Irving, Henderson, Moore were starting to be in the team more regularly. In his first transfer window he gets Boyce and Sibbick who look good signings. Avdijaj and Langer...ok, not so good but 50% good, 50% not. The biggest mistake he made was not bringing in a solid central defender. The two wages of Langer and Avdijaj would've covered a defender from somewhere. Needless signings. The goalie stuff...i believe there was more to it than Stendel choosing to play him. I was lead to believe Pereira would only be allowed to come to Hearts if he was played every week (obviously barring injury) and Man Utd would still pay his wage.  Stendel, i don't think, really rated him. He did drop him and put Zlamal back in then Pereira was brought back in straight away. His choice or someone telling him what the deal was? Who knows. 

When Stendel arrived there was a buzz about Tynecastle. The fans were up for what Stendel wanted to do, play an exciting brand of football, the fans backed that. It's what we grew up with through McDonald, Jeffries, Burley and had Stendel been given time, i'm convinced (with the right players brought in) we would've got a similar style of football. Stendel wanted to shake things up, certain people at the club were too wary of that and have since reverted to type. Such a shame with 24 points to play for and only 4 behind we'll never know. At least he refused to take a wage when the pandemic hit, unlike sacked individuals who screwed the club for every penny until they left. One with a conscience, another with arrogance and no conscience. 

one of this years best posts so far

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Or because he did such a terrible job of keeping us up? That St Mirren game was a must win and everyone knew it. We not only lost we played terrible, and tat wa after he'd had more than enough time to work with the team. By contrast Neilson's first game was also a must win and we skooshed it. He'd had a few friendlies to work with the team.

What was that must win game for Neilson? Dundee? How can the first game of the league campaign be must win? 

We can dance about this all we like the facts are we are utter shite were it matters (on the pitch)and budge can spraff all the shite she likes about three years we won’t accept that

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Part of the reason why Stendel is still held in such reverence by a sizeable section of the support, is that he was the only head coach candidate from outwith the Levein boot room in the Budge era. He also wanted to play an exciting and dynamic brand of football which is stylistically the polar opposite of the dull, lateral, possession based game that Neilson, Cathro and Levein all seem to favour.

He wanted to play it but he didn't seem capable unless against teams that allowed us to play that way. When we went behind or were being held by lesser teams with no interest in playing football his answer was to throw on every forward we have. It was playground/Jimmy Calderwood stuff.

He wanted to play it but he didn't seem capable unless against teams that allowed us to play that way. When we went behind or were being held by lesser teams with no interest in playing football his answer was to throw on every forward we have. It was playground/Jimmy Calderwood stuff.

I’ve no doubt that is part of it. I’d say that our players failed to get motivated for games against lesser sides under Craig Levein as well. It wasn’t just Stendel’s tactics imo. 

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

So, Joe Savage has the job of helping with recruitment and what else? I understood the DoF role was to be in charge of all football matters but how does Savage duties vary from that? How can you have a director who appears to be on an equal level to a manager? Seems strange to me. 

I can’t find any other link where his duties are laid our apart from that we’ve seen already. I don’t think he’s on the board, at least they’ve learned that lesson. 

davemclaren
19 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

As Gin Rummy posted the title of director is just used in job titles because, as I have heard it explained, "it doesn't cost anything".

It doesn't mean anything without a job spec.

Folks like titles with Director or vice-president in them. 

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I can’t find any other link where his duties are laid our apart from that we’ve seen already. I don’t think he’s on the board, at least they’ve learned that lesson. 

He’s definitely not on the board. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yep, recruitment a vital area. If they want to give him a grand title then no biggie. 

Francis Albert
19 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Folks like titles with Director or vice-president in them. 

Superficial and status conscious folks do.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Superficial and status conscious folks do.

Yep. Sensible folks only interested in the bottom line. 

36 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Scoring goals was not the problem to be fair, we scored 8 goals in the 3 games v St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Hamilton for example but only took two points from those games. 

Throughout last season there were calamitous individual errors, from which we gave away so many cheap goals, regardless of the tactics employed.

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Yep, recruitment a vital area. If they want to give him a grand title then no biggie. 

It has been mentioned we only play one sport. 

9 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Scoring goals was not the problem to be fair, we scored 8 goals in the 3 games v St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Hamilton for example but only took two points from those games. 

Throughout last season there were calamitous individual errors, from which we gave away so many cheap goals, regardless of the tactics employed.

Correct 👍

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

That has carried on this season, even with a fantastic GK. Poor protection has been a problem for poor centre halves. 

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Neilson does that now from about 55 minutes forward, as did Levein. 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Digressing just a little bit it is "so" nice to see that our great club has slipped into bed with Uber Eats  in a deal to deliver you food while you are watching the game at home on the telly.

Just a suggestion here but it would seem prudent to concentrate a tad more on the football side of the business before joining forces with the likes of Uber who are not renowned for paying their taxes in this country or in fact treating their workers with anything like respect.

4 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

On the back of the last 3 years, I'd say that's OK. Barring a miracle of recruitmment (and assuming the serious cash need to fix this squad is there) that's exactly where Hearts will be next season. 

"A top 5 position , minimum" ?  That's your criteria for success for next season and every season ?

Yes. We finished top 5 25 times out of 34 between 1983-84 when I first became a fan to 2016-17. Fairly standard, I'd say. Since then...

1 minute ago, 7628mm said:

Digressing just a little bit it is "so" nice to see that our great club has slipped into bed with Uber Eats  in a deal to deliver you food while you are watching the game at home on the telly.

Just a suggestion here but it would seem prudent to concentrate a tad more on the football side of the business before joining forces with the likes of Uber who are not renowned for paying their taxes in this country or in fact treating their workers with anything like respect.

Not so sure about that. Comfort eating goes hand in hand with recent performances.

37 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Not so sure about that. Comfort eating goes hand in hand with recent performances.

Your bang on 😂👍

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

Scoring goals has rarely been an issue under Neilson either. The difference is he also knows how to get us picking up points. There were definitely more silly mistakes in a sustained period than I can ever remember. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Neilson does that now from about 55 minutes forward, as did Levein. 

Nonsense. Stendel was playing 5 forwards on the pitch at the same time sometimes. They were bumping into each other. Neilson only has 3 strikers, although I'm not even sure Naismith is a striker anymore. He just brings on Walker, when he should have been on from the start.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Isn't Sporting Director just the industry norm for this sort of position? Makes sense to go with that instead of making up something new.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

They were both dealt a tough hand yes. Neilson didn't even nw which league we'd be playing in or when it would start.

🤣😅😂🤣😂🤣

17 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Nonsense. Stendel was playing 5 forwards on the pitch at the same time sometimes. They were bumping into each other. Neilson only has 3 strikers, although I'm not even sure Naismith is a striker anymore. He just brings on Walker, when he should have been on from the start.

That's not how i see it he plays one striker, usually Boyce who is isolated upfront and feeding of scraps. 

Then if we are a goal down he decides to go with big guy upfront, to try and salvage the game. 

In the game he had five forwards on the pitch at the same time, which was Rangers at home we won, so i don't understand your point?. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

That's not how i see it he plays one striker, usually Boyce who is isolated upfront and feeding of scraps. 

Then if we are a goal down he decides to go with big guy upfront, to try and salvage the game. 

In the game he had five forwards on the pitch at the same time, which was Rangers at home we won, so i don't understand your point?. 

My point is he brought on all our forwards when chasing games (a much-derided Jimmy Calderwood tactic when he was at Killie), resulting in a free for all up front with players crowding each other out. He didn't seem to have a clue about how to win against stubborn opposition. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

No Idle Talk
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Aye I do understand that. I’ve worked for companies and had the title of director, sales director, marketing director. That title though, generally meant quite a high level of control. Being in ‘charge’ of helping with recruitment isn’t something that would normally attract that title. Don’t suppose it matters though. 

That's what I thought too. I thought perhaps Savage's role was a DoF or Head of Football Operations type of deal. But it seems that is not so. His role appears to be more akin to that of a chief scout who is also responsible for handling signing talks with targeted players.

Francis Albert
24 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Isn't Sporting Director just the industry norm for this sort of position? Makes sense to go with that instead of making up something new.

It has been the "industry norm" for the last 5 minutes in terms of the history of football. The game got by without it for nearly a century and a half. In other words it is something new recently made up. Time will tell if it adds anything to the game. I doubt it.

My point is he brought on all our forwards when chasing games, resulting in a free for all up front with players crowding each other out. He didn't seem to have a clue about how to win against stubborn opposition. It was a Jimmy Calderwood tactic when he was at Killie.

But he was winning in that game he brought them on?. 

Which took people by suprise because normally the attitude was to park the bus when winning against the old firm, but he showed no respect to the old firm, to him Celtic and Rangers where no different to anyone else in this league 😁

And thats what made him infectious and why people took to him, like Biesla, he said no we are Heart of Midlothian and we will play the game our way. 

You won't tell us. 

He was going to change the whole mindset of the club, instead we went with dull Neilson 😂

He recommended Toby sibbick for Barnsley so he definitely has an eye for a player, as you see Barnsley are reaping the rewards this season with Sibbick, he's been outstanding for them. 

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

That's what I thought too. I thought perhaps Savage's role was a DoF or Head of Football Operations type of deal. But it seems that is not so. His role appears to be more akin to that of a chief scout who is also responsible for handling signing talks with targeted players.

As long as the decision on which players to target is the manager's then no problem. But if so Sporting Director seems an overinflated title.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Who was dealt the worst hand?

43 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Got 5 wingers though

13 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He recommended Toby sibbick for Barnsley so he definitely has an eye for a player, as you see Barnsley are reaping the rewards this season with Sibbick, he's been outstanding for them. 

🤣

Since returning in January from a loan spell in Belgium where he didn’t play a single game......

13 appearances.....6 times coming on as a sub and substituted off 5 times. Completed 90 mins only twice and hasn’t started two matches in a row since January.

“Outstanding” seems a bit of a stretch imo.

17 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

But he was winning in that game he brought them on?. 

Which took people by suprise because normally the attitude was to park the bus when winning against the old firm, but he showed no respect to the old firm, to him Celtic and Rangers where no different to anyone else in this league 😁

And thats what made him infectious and why people took to him, like Biesla, he said no we are Heart of Midlothian and we will play the game our way. 

You won't tell us. 

He was going to change the whole mindset of the club, instead we went with dull Neilson 😂

Sibbick epitomises everything that is lacking in the team. 

12 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

🤣

Since returning in January from a loan spell in Belgium where he didn’t play a single game......

13 appearances.....6 times coming on as a sub and substituted off 5 times. Completed 90 mins only twice and hasn’t started two matches in a row since January.

“Outstanding” seems a bit of a stretch imo.

He's a regular now ask @Redhelenhe's been brilliant since coming back to Barnsley, manager has trusted him and rates him big time. 

Guest ToqueJambo
31 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Who was dealt the worst hand?

Stendel clearly. Who did the worst job? Stendel clearly. But yeah let's call for the head of the guy actually doing his job. Did Stendel (and his team) even want to manage in the championship during a pandemic with his family back in Germany? That seems to be up for debate.

Edited by ToqueJambo

5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He's a regular now ask @Redhelenhe's been brilliant since coming back to Barnsley, manager has trusted him and rates him big time. 

He’s been on the bench for 3 of their last 6 matches Bongo.

I liked Sibbick and he looked a player v Rangers......but let’s not go overboard with the comments on him for his handful of performances for Barnsley so far this season. 

You’re using the guy to once again attempt to give Stendel some leverage.....how about you give us a rundown of how Langer and Avdijaj are getting on ?