Official Neilson Out Thread ( merged )

best in the land

15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I seriously think you need to let the Stendel sacking go. I really liked him, could have done a great job but he paid for some really really stupid choices.. like persisting with Pereira and trying to get players to play his way who were simply not capable. He wasn’t around for long, and there were mitigating circumstances but he has played his part in our current situation.. 

Neilson has had 9 wins and 2 bad defeats. If I’m honest - it’s pretty embarrassing to even discuss him being sacked .. if we lose another 3 or 4 maybe then the pressure will but this just smacks of folk waiting for him to fail.. 

if he wins the cup then he will be classed as a legend. 🤷‍♂️

I don't want him to fail, the reality is Robbie can only take us so far, and I don't think he can take us to the level we need to be at. 

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Do you honestly believe that our manager will have accepted the performances of our players yesterday?  Second and final chance gone for some of them. Dunfermline was unacceptable but everyone deserves a second chance. After yesterday second chances have come and gone for some I suspect. Different team next week. 

So what difference will the changes give us. Will the team play well, score goals, make chances, stop giving possession away cheaply, pass the ball accurately. defend without panicking. The teams that lost to Dunfermline and Alloa with the rest of the first team squad need to work on everything every afternoon. Fitness in the morning and working on everything tactically, set plays, movement, and all areas of the game that will make the end product that ends in winning by playing good football.

Only hard work will benefit this team and these players need to cut out performances that lead to Hearts being seen as has-been’s.

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

His most notable win is against hibs, and it wasn't over 90 minutes, his win against Dundee well let's be honest they are what they are. 

They are what they are.. wins 🤷‍♂️ !!  1 point off top and into the SC final.. 

do we need to do better than we did last night ? Of course we do.. if we have 5/6 results like that the pressure will be on..

but give him the chance that you clearly wanted Stendel to have. 

Just now, mitch41 said:

So what difference will the changes give us. Will the team play well, score goals, make chances, stop giving possession away cheaply, pass the ball accurately. defend without panicking. The teams that lost to Dunfermline and Alloa with the rest of the first team squad need to work on everything every afternoon. Fitness in the morning and working on everything tactically, set plays, movement, and all areas of the game that will make the end product that ends in winning by playing good football.

Only hard work will benefit this team and these players need to cut out performances that lead to Hearts being seen as has-been’s.

Who knows? I can’t predict the future, just believe that he is bound to make changes after yesterday. 

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I don't want him to fail, the reality is Robbie can only take us so far, and I don't think he can take us to the level we need to be at. 

the level he needs to get us to is the premiership league.. if he fails he won’t be here.

And once we are there, it needs to be top 6 in first season then challenging for 3rd the year after

lost in space

Can you imagine an angry Neilson? 

Will the players be shaking with worry?

Will he shout at anyone?

Will he say a naughty work and mess up his own hair?

Will he lose a button from his nice cardie?

Will he pespire (he is not going to sweat!)?

Will he insult anyone?

Will he become non-PC for a second?

Will he threaten a player with assault?

Will he grab hold of a player?

Will the players have any respect for him?

Will he be able to re-motivate?

I think we all know. He will sit down with the players and with his laptop show them what he would like the players to do.

He does not have to do all of the above but like Cathro, he does not seem to have the respect of the players or have them concerned for their future.

Neilson is so lucky fans are not allowed in stadium.

3 hours ago, jambonian said:

I remember when Neilson walked the last time. A few names banded about as you'd expect and one was Billy Davies. Not my idea of what Hearts need but never-the-less, interviewed for the job, seemed interested and spoke with Levein (i assume) about changing a few things in training, a different approach and he was shot down and told no. It was Levein's way or not at all. Davies went away and something was said along the lines of good luck to them but it's not for me. I can't work with him or these restrictions. In comes Ian Cathro. The rest, as they say, is history. It makes you wonder who else posted an application. Also, didn't Ann say (in the documentary) there had been over 70 applications before Stendel got the job? That would've been an interesting list to view. At the time of Levein's departure, she said she wanted someone in who would encourage young players at the club and work to improve some of the players already at the club. Stendel had done exactly that with Barnsley and it was starting to work in some respects with us. Youngsters like Moore, Irving and Henderson were getting game-time, the likes of Clare and Bozanic were up for it as was Washington. Exactly what she asked for. Some whined and moaned like Mulraney and Whelan, and Berra couldn't get his face in the press quick enough. Now we have a situation where Neilson's been wheeled back in. Thing is i don't remember any big hoo-haa when he left Hearts. No banging the Tynecastle door demanding he stays. And last season Dundee Utd fans wanted a new manager in for their return to the Premier. No big hoo-haa from them when he left either. Sounds familiar.

Well, by that time we'd had the Sammon signing, the Birkirkara result, and the "money-spinning replay", so those had rather taken the edge off whatever feelings of disappointment many fans may have otherwise had, I suspect.

The bottom-line is he's got to take us back up this season though; I just hope he and the squad (plus any decent January-window additions 🤞 🙏  🤞 🙏   🤞 🙏  :sorcerer: ) are up to the job.

17 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

the level he needs to get us to is the premiership league.. if he fails he won’t be here.

And once we are there, it needs to be top 6 in first season then challenging for 3rd the year after

If we go back up surely top 3 is achievable, considering when we came back up we finished 3rd, or is that more difficult now Rangers and Hibs are back in the league? 

44 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Do you honestly believe that our manager will have accepted the performances of our players yesterday?  Second and final chance gone for some of them. Dunfermline was unacceptable but everyone deserves a second chance. After yesterday second chances have come and gone for some I suspect. Different team next week. 

Cowdenbeath, Arbroath, East Fife, Dunfermline performances have been unnaceptable, why do you think the Alloa performance is the one that manager will not accept?

Just now, Gambo said:

Cowdenbeath, Arbroath, East Fife, Dunfermline performances have been unnaceptable, why do you think the Alloa performance is the one that manager will not accept?

The earlier ones ended as wins which changes the complexion of the performance. Maybe it shouldn’t but it does, the old adage of ‘never change a winning team’ is still reasonably relevant today. As I said Alloa was the second poor performance and result and that should mean a change of response, approach and line-up. 

51 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I want a team of winners that the fans can be proud of. A manager that demands winning and playing good attacking football. We shouldn’t settle for anything less. Ann and the board have to be ruthless and not accept incompetence from the manager just like the manager not accepting it from the players. 

I'll bet that every true supporter of every club in Scotland, and beyond, would want the same thing.

6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

If we go back up surely top 3 is achievable, considering when we came back up we finished 3rd, or is that more difficult now Rangers and Hibs are back in the league? 

Stendel isn’t  coming back. Nielson is now manager. What happens in the future bears little relationship to what happened in the past. Get over it and move on. You ain’t doing yourself any favours flogging a dead horse. 

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Yesterday's team

Gordon - Neilson signing

Smith - Existing regular 

Berra - Found out by previous manager, brought back by Neilson

Popescu - Brought in by Neilson

Kingsley - Neilson signing

Haring - Existing

White - Sidelined by previous manager, brought back into team by Neilson

Walker - Existing

Lee - Brought back by Neilson 

Halliday - Neilson signing

Boyce - Existing

7 out of 11 his 'choices' in the summer so hard to say its not his team.

I think you're being a bit disingenuous there. Berra White and Lee had to be brought back as we have little to replace them with and we couldnt get them off the wage bill. Kingsley and Gordon are good signings. 

I'm not necessarily defending Neilson here, but he did have his hands tied a bit. The club needs flushed out top to bottom and I suspect a clear out would see Neilson go quickly if results didn't change.

Since he left we've slid further and further into this mess, so he did something right the first time round. A succession of awful football decisions followed so Ann Budge has to ask herself the question; should I have anything to do with that side of the club? The answer will be no and the appointment of someone who can is required, if that person deems Neilson a dud then AB has to go with that decision.

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Stendel isn’t  coming back. Nielson is now manager. What happens in the future bears little relationship to what happened in the past. Get over it and move on. You ain’t doing yourself any favours flogging a dead horse. 

Thanks for answering my points 👍

18 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Well, by that time we'd had the Sammon signing, the Birkirkara result, and the "money-spinning replay", so those had rather taken the edge off whatever feelings of disappointment many fans may have otherwise had, I suspect.

The bottom-line is he's got to take us back up this season though; I just hope he and the squad (plus any decent January-window additions 🤞 🙏  🤞 🙏   🤞 🙏  :sorcerer: ) are up to the job.

I think people tend to conveniently forget things like this. Obviously the championship season and finishing 3rd in the premiership were fantastic but what came after it was in all honesty, a bit of a shitshow.

He signed Sammon, Watt, Rherras, Muirhead to name a few. Alienated and froze out Alim Ozturk. Scraped past an Estonian mob with a whole 2 fans at Tynecastle before being knocked out in the next round by a team from Malta (a result he’d made excuses for weeks before). Scraped 3-3 draws at Hamilton and Inverness (who were on a relegation season), got knocked out the league cup by St Johnstone...imo, the fact a team sitting near the bottom of England’s third tier even went to the bother of headhunting him flattered him big time.

Granted, things got worse under the likes of Cathro but they weren’t exactly the glory days some people seem to remember.

52 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I seriously think you need to let the Stendel sacking go. I really liked him, could have done a great job but he paid for some really really stupid choices.. like persisting with Pereira and trying to get players to play his way who were simply not capable. He wasn’t around for long, and there were mitigating circumstances but he has played his part in our current situation.. 

Neilson has had 9 wins and 2 bad defeats. If I’m honest - it’s pretty embarrassing to even discuss him being sacked .. if we lose another 3 or 4 maybe then the pressure will but this just smacks of folk waiting for him to fail.. 

if he wins the cup then he will be classed as a legend. 🤷‍♂️

Quite. Don't think he should be sacked, I don't think anyone does at the minute but he needs to get us performing. As you say however another few bad results and there will be quite a few wanting his head on a plate. 

Unfortunately for Robbie, he wasn't very popular to begin with and he's even less popular now. He has a lot to do to get fans back on side. 

17 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I think you're being a bit disingenuous there. Berra White and Lee had to be brought back as we have little to replace them with and we couldnt get them off the wage bill. Kingsley and Gordon are good signings. 

I'm not necessarily defending Neilson here, but he did have his hands tied a bit. The club needs flushed out top to bottom and I suspect a clear out would see Neilson go quickly if results didn't change.

Since he left we've slid further and further into this mess, so he did something right the first time round. A succession of awful football decisions followed so Ann Budge has to ask herself the question; should I have anything to do with that side of the club? The answer will be no and the appointment of someone who can is required, if that person deems Neilson a dud then AB has to go with that decision.

I'm sure I read somewhere that we had appointed Andrew McKinlay as Chief Executive.  That suggests the answer must have been "Yes".

2 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

I think people tend to conveniently forget things like this. Obviously the championship season and finishing 3rd in the premiership were fantastic but what came after it was in all honesty, a bit of a shitshow.

He signed Sammon, Watt, Rherras, Muirhead to name a few. Alienated and froze out Alim Ozturk. Scraped past an Estonian mob with a whole 2 fans at Tynecastle before being knocked out in the next round by a team from Malta (a result he’d made excuses for weeks before). Scraped 3-3 draws at Hamilton and Inverness (who were on a relegation season), got knocked out the league cup by St Johnstone...imo, the fact a team sitting near the bottom of England’s third tier even went to the bother of headhunting him flattered him big time.

Granted, things got worse under the likes of Cathro but they weren’t exactly the glory days some people seem to remember.

Spot on. That year (2016) there were precisely three highlights from January until he left us in November - a gritty cup win over Aberdeen, an absolutely sparkling trouncing of Motherwell and his last game in charge, when the players actually turned up against Rangers to give him a decent send-off. The rest? Not so good. Season 2015-16 was effectively over in mid-February after the Cup capitulation against Hibs - Tynecastle was an absolute morgue for the rest of the season, and once we reached the split the players seemed to be on the beach. Robbie shrugged his shoulders, said it had been a long, hard season and anyway we needed to be ready for Europe on June 30th. Good one.

By the time he left we had been a shambles for weeks, and the Rangers result came as a major surprise. It’s illuminating to re-read threads from that time - very few people were enjoying what they were seeing, and his tinkering had reached mystifying proportions.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that we had appointed Andrew McKinlay as Chief Executive.  That suggests the answer must have been "Yes".

I don't think his sole remit is the football side, we have JJ but I'm not sure how much influence he has.

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Yesterday's team

Gordon - Neilson signing

Smith - Existing regular 

Berra - Found out by previous manager, brought back by Neilson

Popescu - Brought in by Neilson

Kingsley - Neilson signing

Haring - Existing

White - Sidelined by previous manager, brought back into team by Neilson

Walker - Existing

Lee - Brought back by Neilson 

Halliday - Neilson signing

Boyce - Existing

7 out of 11 his 'choices' in the summer so hard to say its not his team.

I was thinking that yesterday. He needs to get it performing much better. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I was thinking that yesterday. He needs to get it performing much better. 

Yip, other managers struggled to get performances in the SPL, Robbie is struggling to get performances in the league below, or in East Fife/Cowdenbeath cases...leagues below.

Morton HAS TO BE a turning point.

31 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

I'd managed to forget about him...   :muggy:

4 hours ago, jambonian said:

I remember when Neilson walked the last time. A few names banded about as you'd expect and one was Billy Davies. Not my idea of what Hearts need but never-the-less, interviewed for the job, seemed interested and spoke with Levein (i assume) about changing a few things in training, a different approach and he was shot down and told no. It was Levein's way or not at all. Davies went away and something was said along the lines of good luck to them but it's not for me. I can't work with him or these restrictions. In comes Ian Cathro. The rest, as they say, is history. It makes you wonder who else posted an application. Also, didn't Ann say (in the documentary) there had been over 70 applications before Stendel got the job? That would've been an interesting list to view. At the time of Levein's departure, she said she wanted someone in who would encourage young players at the club and work to improve some of the players already at the club. Stendel had done exactly that with Barnsley and it was starting to work in some respects with us. Youngsters like Moore, Irving and Henderson were getting game-time, the likes of Clare and Bozanic were up for it as was Washington. Exactly what she asked for. Some whined and moaned like Mulraney and Whelan, and Berra couldn't get his face in the press quick enough. Now we have a situation where Neilson's been wheeled back in. Thing is i don't remember any big hoo-haa when he left Hearts. No banging the Tynecastle door demanding he stays. And last season Dundee Utd fans wanted a new manager in for their return to the Premier. No big hoo-haa from them when he left either. Sounds familiar.

Is this the same Billy Davies who is still without a club?

18 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Yip, other managers struggled to get performances in the SPL, Robbie is struggling to get performances in the league below, or in East Fife/Cowdenbeath cases...leagues below.

Indeed. 

15 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I'd managed to forget about him...   :muggy:

I’m not letting anyone off the hook that easy, for as long as I can remember the little Hibs worshiping **** so can everyone else 😂

2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Where were we when he left us last time?

3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

You think I certainly don't Gino fair enough if fit.

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

If we play anything like we have v Morton, it will be a long 90 minutes. I think they'll sit in and kick us off the park. Set pieces will be key. 

2 hours ago, lost in space said:

Can you imagine an angry Neilson? 

Will the players be shaking with worry?

Will he shout at anyone?

Will he say a naughty work and mess up his own hair?

Will he lose a button from his nice cardie?

Will he pespire (he is not going to sweat!)?

Will he insult anyone?

Will he become non-PC for a second?

Will he threaten a player with assault?

Will he grab hold of a player?

Will the players have any respect for him?

Will he be able to re-motivate?

I think we all know. He will sit down with the players and with his laptop show them what he would like the players to do.

He does not have to do all of the above but like Cathro, he does not seem to have the respect of the players or have them concerned for their future.

Neilson is so lucky fans are not allowed in stadium.

If you can't imagine Robbie doing it , what about Lee McCulloch ? There are people in that changing room that can motivate, there are too many players in that squad who aren't interested. The manager will take the fall but some players have been there for 3 managers now.

42 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sitting 2nd place, with Aberdeen having 2 games in hand. 

Going backwards    watching mainly mind numbing football    like now

44 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

If you can't imagine Robbie doing it , what about Lee McCulloch ? There are people in that changing room that can motivate, there are too many players in that squad who aren't interested. The manager will take the fall but some players have been there for 3 managers now.

Modern players are not going to be motivated by some lunatic shouting at them for hours on end. They are looking for leadership and faith in the game plan they are being asked to carry out. 

3 hours ago, merrymac said:

Exactly Stendel being mocked elsewhere,for signing Sibbick, Langer, and Avdijaj.

I give you Popescu, Roberts and Frear, obviously massive upgrades on Stendel's efforts😟

Sibbick outshines them all.

56 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

If we play anything like we have v Morton, it will be a long 90 minutes. I think they'll sit in and kick us off the park. Set pieces will be key. 

They'll fancy their chances of winning now. 

11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Modern players are not going to be motivated by some lunatic shouting at them for hours on end. They are looking for leadership and faith in the game plan they are being asked to carry out. 

3mangers, 3 different game plans same half arsed performance. 

3 hours ago, Gambo said:

sadly all 5 away performances have been utter garbage this season. He'll need to change something soon starting next week or we will be really struggling to go up

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

sadly all 5 away performances have been utter garbage this season. He'll need to change something soon starting next week or we will be really struggling to go up

He won’t though, it will be the same players in the same positions playing the same boring football. As someone said earlier in the thread he had hasn't changed so far in his career he won’t now. 

5 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Clearly what he did after Dunfermline made the square root of zero difference for our next away game. This weekend is another away performance at a potential banana skin. From the away performances this season, I have zero confidence at present of getting a positive result. 

All passing the ball round at the back is allowing teams to get back into shape and defend. We have zero creativity in the middle of the park. The formation is wrong. Boyce needs someone up there with him. Instead he is persisting with a style of play when we are away from home that we are struggling to break down teams. 

At the moment Dunfermline look a more complete package than we do

4 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

You forgot Oshinawa

On reflection, I’m hoping that last Saturday was a deliberate and successful attempt by Neilson to exit the League Cup (not something I would normally approve of) in order to avoid fixture congestion close to that other little cup match we have coming up. The alternative is unthinkable - that he actually wanted to win the Alloa game with that shambling, clueless, unmotivated and 100% disinterested bunch of charlatans. 

Yesterday afternoon I was flicking between channels and found the tail-end of an FA Cup tie between Marine and Havant & Waterlooville from God knows which tiers in the nether regions of the English pyramid. Eighth? Tenth?  Predictably, it was bad. As in proper mince. Horror-show football. But it gradually dawned on me that not only did almost all the players look faster, fitter, stronger and in some cases more skilful than ours, but they also showed an attitude and a will to win which is entirely absent in our full-time professional imposters. I’m afraid I came to the conclusion that either team would have seen us off comfortably.

Edited by leginten

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

Cole Stockton ran riot in his team's FA Cup tie at the weekend.......

I don’t even know who he plays for nowadays, Jonno. Anyone decent?

31 minutes ago, leginten said:

On reflection, I’m hoping that last Saturday was a deliberate and successful attempt by Neilson to exit the League Cup (not something I would normally approve of) in order to avoid fixture congestion close to that other little cup match we have coming up. The alternative is unthinkable - that he actually wanted to win the Alloa game with that shambling, clueless, unmotivated and 100% disinterested bunch of charlatans. 

Yesterday afternoon I was flicking between channels and found the tail-end of an FA Cup tie between Marine and Havant & Waterlooville from God knows which tiers in the nether regions of the English pyramid. Eighth? Tenth?  Predictably, it was bad. As in proper mince. Horror-show football. But it gradually dawned on me that not only did almost all the players look faster, fitter, stronger and in some cases more skilful than ours, but they also showed an attitude and a will to win which is entirely absent in our full-time professional imposters. I’m afraid I came to the conclusion that either team would have seen us off comfortably.

I am not sure that Robbie tried to lose that match more that he has a bunch of players who are not motovated enough when playing teams they think are inferior to them.

They seem to be able to raise their game a bit against better teams but then better teams come out and attack us more which gives us more space unlike teams such as Alloa.

We are devoid of any creativity through the midfield and the total lack of pace/movement and urgency about our play is disgraceful for a club claiming to be of SPL standard.

This is no one off as we have been poor in most games since the opener against Dundee. We even were not that great against Hibs but managed the win.

It baffles me how a team of three coached can stand on the touchline and watch that utter dross and not be going mental at the players.

I would love to know what the game plan is before going into these matches and if the players are doing what is asked of them. If this is the case then I am having serious doubts as to whether Robbie is the man to take us up and forward.

So Make Some Noise..
17 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Taken us into the premiership - Check

Taken us into the top 6 - Check

Challenging for 3rd place - Check

He did this before and it wasn't good enough for the knuckle draggers amongst us.

The disliking for Robbie always strikes me as odd. Stendel was a complete failure yet because he was an eccentric german who read the scripts and said how big a club we are, how great the support is etc, people are pining after him. In contrast, even if Robbie pulls off a shock win in the cup final and gets us promoted to the Premiership AGAIN, he'll still not be good enough 'cuz hibs won the cup' or 'Alloa got their first ever win against us eh'. All very bizarre.

Edited by So Make Some Noise..

You've got to laugh at some of the numbskulls on here thinking if we get rid of Robbie suddenly everything will improve . 

Hes working with demoted surrender merchants that have already seen of 4 managers . They have zero pride in their performances. 

The fact Naismith, Boyce , Walker , Halkett , Lee and many more can't cut it  in the 2nd Tier of Scottish football is an utter embarrassment to them , their family and the club as a whole . 

The recruitment has been horrific , Robbie was hung out to dry preseason stumbling about trying to pick up jokers out of contact unfortunately. They aren't the biggest part of the problem though, it's the Naismiths , Walkers and Boyces that are killing us yet again . 

Robbie deserves time to clear up the mess Budge and the former manager /coaches have created . Budge better dip into her own pocket to help Robbie in 4 weeks time or  we're ****ed with these clowns pretending to still be professional footballers. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Official Neilson Out Thread ( merged )