Official Neilson Out Thread ( merged )

best in the land

I liked Connor Smith better Cochrane, Irving, McDonald and thought he did well with limited opportunities when still very young, would like him back. Meanwhile the likes of Lee, Walker, Frear will not win any midfield battles and we are easy to play against. I would go 4 at the back with any 2 from Haring,Smith, Halkett holding, pushing on and giving the freedom for  the other 4 to attack, back players can also join in with them at the right times. Pretty basic stuff really. Robbie it is not working, time to change before it is gone, as you will be too.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

Guys how will we ever find out if players are good enough for hearts? Henderson is more than capable for playing for us, as is the others just look at josh doig at hibs, perfect example not good enough for us, yet gets game time regular at hibs? How does the work, and by no means is josh doig a world beater, but you trying to tell me he can't be as good as aidy white, or Kingsley?. 

When you have young players you have to put trust in them, and you will reap the benefits if you do look at Motherwell and Hamilton? Ross County 

People go on about Neilson, but I think they should be giving Gary locke a bit more credit, though he was forced to play more youth players, due to our situation at the time, he brought through the likes of walker, Dr funk, Sam Nicholson, all them etc. 

And because they played experienced players, the season they got relegated, that gave us a platform to kick on in the championship, with Robbie also bringing in players to add experience etc, after we went back up we got rid of most of that team? Why. 

12 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Guys how will we ever find out if players are good enough for hearts? Henderson is more than capable for playing for us, as is the others just look at josh doig at hibs, perfect example not good enough for us, yet gets game time regular at hibs? How does the work, and by no means is josh doig a world beater, but you trying to tell me he can't be as good as aidy white, or Kingsley?. 

When you have young players you have to put trust in them, and you will reap the benefits if you do look at Motherwell and Hamilton? Ross County 

He wont be as good as Kingsley.   Not many players or full backs are at the moment either. 

I don't disagree with giving youngsters a chance to show their talents, to improve them further.   That's what the "box soccer" academy is there for I thought.   Not just to brand hopeless, talentless individuals football savvy. 

Perhaps the individual character wasn't evaluated.   You need certain character to go up in the game of football.   Could be their character letting them down.    It's hard to maintain focus when you're not getting gametime though, espeacily hard in trying times. 

17 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

He wont be as good as Kingsley.   Not many players or full backs are at the moment either. 

I don't disagree with giving youngsters a chance to show their talents, to improve them further.   That's what the "box soccer" academy is there for I thought.   Not just to brand hopeless, talentless individuals football savvy. 

Perhaps the individual character wasn't evaluated.   You need certain character to go up in the game of football.   Could be their character letting them down.    It's hard to maintain focus when you're not getting gametime though, espeacily hard in trying times. 

The biggest clubs Kingsley has played for are Swansea and Hull, josh doig is only 18 years old and is playing regular for hibs, when Kingsley was picked up by Swansea he was playing for Falkirk. 

Josh doig has plenty time on his hands to keep improving, and to further his career. 

We have Leo Watson out on loan, who if I remember correctly is getting rave reviews, while he is at Bonnyrigg, play the kids man. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

12 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

The only way you will find out if they are good enough is if they play, Scott McGill certainly didn't look out of place when he played, Irving is more than Capable of playing championship football, you don't have three English teams after you, if you aren't doing something right? Henderson more than good enough for the Scottish championship? 

I had/have high hopes for McGill but he had a poor game the last time he played. Irving should be playing, especially along side Harring who will guide him through games. Lee doesn't cut it for me like so many others we've seen he lacks the energy and drive we need in that position. He can pass and has a good dig on him but never gets involved enough. Halliday needs to play wide left and Naismith needs to play up front and stay there, he drops deep and takes space from the midfield. Our strikers need to stop playing with their back to goal so often both Boyce and Naismith are guilty of it, Wighton is the only one constantly trying to run in behind a defence.

10 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

The biggest clubs Kingsley has played for are Swansea and Hull, josh doig is only 18 years old and is playing regular for hibs, when Kingsley was picked up by Swansea he was playing for Falkirk. 

Josh doig has plenty time on his hands to keep improving, and to further his career. 

We have Leo Watson out on loan, who if I remember correctly is getting rave reviews, while he is at Bonnyrigg, play the kids man. 

You want someone to get a game because they are getting rave reviews at Bonnyrigg Rose? 

Henderson has been in and out of the first team for 3 years, not good enough. Moore isn't good enough. Brandon isn't good enough. 

Brad McKay wasn't good enough. Kevin McHattie wasn't good enough. Billy King ultimately wasn't good enough. 

Doig was let go because we had Hickey but you knew that. Doig may go onto have a decent career but I doubt he'll play in the English premiership like Kingsley has. 

I do still think Irving should be in the team as I think he is the best passer we have. 

Not every youth player deserves a game just because they are young. 

12 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

We had Hickey now sold to a club several levels above. I also think Doig has been dropped from the Hibs team? I get your point(s) about youth players but ironically Kingsley is the kind of player we should be signing if we want to improve. Frear and Roberts most certainly aren't and there is a strong case for playing a youth player ahead of them.

It's the usual attitude to young players. Didn't play well ONE game. Out. Yet, experienced players get far more slack which is the exact opposite of how it should be. It takes courage to play young players. I feel sorry for Irving especially. He must be close to being fed up

SectionDJambo
2 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

It's the usual attitude to young players. Didn't play well ONE game. Out. Yet, experienced players get far more slack which is the exact opposite of how it should be. It takes courage to play young players. I feel sorry for Irving especially. He must be close to being fed up

This is maybe the best season to try out the young players, or at least gradually introduce them into the first team. No fans to get on their backs as soon as they make a mistake or don't play a world class, defence splitting pass. 

They're also used to applying self motivation without a support in the ground.

8 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

This is maybe the best season to try out the young players, or at least gradually introduce them into the first team. No fans to get on their backs as soon as they make a mistake or don't play a world class, defence splitting pass. 

Correct you get it 👍

16 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

You want someone to get a game because they are getting rave reviews at Bonnyrigg Rose? 

Henderson has been in and out of the first team for 3 years, not good enough. Moore isn't good enough. Brandon isn't good enough. 

Brad McKay wasn't good enough. Kevin McHattie wasn't good enough. Billy King ultimately wasn't good enough. 

Doig was let go because we had Hickey but you knew that. Doig may go onto have a decent career but I doubt he'll play in the English premiership like Kingsley has. 

I do still think Irving should be in the team as I think he is the best passer we have. 

Not every youth player deserves a game just because they are young. 

We always knew Hickey was going to leave us, as he wasn't prepared to sign a new contract, hence why we let him go? And what's wrong with putting Leo Watson in the first team, has it done josh doig at hibs any harm? 

Brad mckay, mchattie, and King not good enough jesus well tell me who was better and replaced them? Amanwanka? Swanson? Augustyn, oshinaawa? Or whatever he is called, stop trying to make excuses for the previous managements? We have youth players at are club fecking play them man, we rave on about developing players we can't seriously take all the credit for developing, Hickey been at Celtic would've helped his development, along with getting game time at us. 

23 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

We had Hickey now sold to a club several levels above. I also think Doig has been dropped from the Hibs team? I get your point(s) about youth players but ironically Kingsley is the kind of player we should be signing if we want to improve. Frear and Roberts most certainly aren't and there is a strong case for playing a youth player ahead of them.

We had Hickey but the last time i checked football teams have squads? 

9 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

We always knew Hickey was going to leave us, as he wasn't prepared to sign a new contract, hence why we let him go? And what's wrong with putting Leo Watson in the first team, has it done josh doig at hibs any harm? 

Brad mckay, mchattie, and King not good enough jesus well tell me who was better and replaced them? Amanwanka? Swanson? Augustyn, oshinaawa? Or whatever he is called, stop trying to make excuses for the previous managements? We have youth players at are club fecking play them man, we rave on about developing players we can't seriously take all the credit for developing, Hickey been at Celtic would've helped his development, along with getting game time at us. 

I never said our recruitment has been good? It's the biggest factor in why we are where we are. That's a completely different to the point I was making. 

The majority of young players hearts produce aren't good enough. The fact our recruitment us brutal doesn't change that. 

Moore, Henderson and Brandon shouldn't still have a contract at Hearts. Neither should Roberts or Frear though. 

We shouldn't play players just for the sake of it.

Edited by Ari Gold

3 hours ago, mitch41 said:

And one day will be someone will be coming in the clear up Robbie’s mess as well.

Until we can get rid of these. Frauds or our signing policy/ contract structure changes , quite possibly 

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

What? You spoke about Doig being released, we had Hickey which is why he was released I assume we've now replaced him with Kingsley and have White as cover?

I think the way the squad is being managed thus far was to try some players in the league cup group stage.   Some succeeded, Wighton as a clear example.   Then it was about getting what was thought as the best starting 11, playing regularly together, winning league games, qualifying for the SC final.   We probably wont see many changes until after said final.   Then again, it's up to the players left out if they want to continue as surplus/reserve, or push for a start.   

I think there will be chances later.   Just not now.   I don't think certain academy players have leadership quality yet.   That's an outstanding quality most youth players need to have to get regular gametime.   Having said my piece, I think we could have started with more youth if the plan was to get knocked out.   Why Moore isn't getting a game I have no idea,   The laddie has been scoring regularly in games.   That's the biggest puzzle for me.   Anyway, some patience needed from everyone, fans and players.  :) 

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

I had/have high hopes for McGill but he had a poor game the last time he played. Irving should be playing, especially along side Harring who will guide him through games. Lee doesn't cut it for me like so many others we've seen he lacks the energy and drive we need in that position. He can pass and has a good dig on him but never gets involved enough. Halliday needs to play wide left and Naismith needs to play up front and stay there, he drops deep and takes space from the midfield. Our strikers need to stop playing with their back to goal so often both Boyce and Naismith are guilty of it, Wighton is the only one constantly trying to run in behind a defence.

Spot on especially re- Naisy and Boyce.  

2 hours ago, Ari Gold said:

I never said our recruitment has been good? It's the biggest factor in why we are where we are. That's a completely different to the point I was making. 

The majority of young players hearts produce aren't good enough. The fact our recruitment us brutal doesn't change that. 

Moore, Henderson and Brandon shouldn't still have a contract at Hearts. Neither should Roberts or Frear though. 

We shouldn't play players just for the sake of it.

I disagree, it's how they are coached, these players you mention, all showed they had some sort of ability, when Stendel was here? 

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I disagree, it's how they are coached, these players you mention, all showed they had some sort of ability, when Stendel was here? 

I don't really think they showed anything that was worth giving them a new contract. The impact they had when Stendel was here has been exaggerated quite a bit.

Do you really think results would be better if the 3 mentioned were playing?

4 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

I don't really think they showed anything that was worth giving them a new contract. The impact they had when Stendel was here has been exaggerated quite a bit.

Do you really think results would be better if the 3 mentioned were playing?

Absolutely it's far easier, trying to get youth players to all buy into the way you want to play, then it is players that's attitude is stinking and genuinely couldn't give a rat's ass, 

Stendel was prepared to give youth a chance, Moore had an impact in both games against hibs and rangers, Henderson aswell watch they games back they all made an impact. 

I was at all the games. I don't think either have the natural ability (especially attacking players) to be good enough to play at a decent level.

Ernie Eskilsson
On 21/11/2020 at 09:52, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Henderson Moore and Irving played basically every game under Stendel who got us relegated bud? Do you even watch Hearts? 

Hi Pal, team was chock full of our more experienced players on Saturday, what did you think? 

Just spoke to my old man for the first time in a couple of weeks. He says we looked like a bunch of knackered old shits against Dunfermline. Summed it up perfectly.

Last time in the championship Robbie used to say bide our time and the other team will tire. No chance this time.

We need the youngsters on if only for their legs.

Guest ToqueJambo
On 01/12/2020 at 05:33, Bongo 1874 said:

People go on about Neilson, but I think they should be giving Gary locke a bit more credit, though he was forced to play more youth players, due to our situation at the time, he brought through the likes of walker, Dr funk, Sam Nicholson, all them etc. 

And because they played experienced players, the season they got relegated, that gave us a platform to kick on in the championship, with Robbie also bringing in players to add experience etc, after we went back up we got rid of most of that team? Why. 

No we didn't. Out of the 18 that stripped for the first game in 2015 16, 14 were there the previous season. We then made some signings to improve the team and finished a comfortable 3rd. 

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

No we didn't. Out of the 18 that stripped for the first game in 2015 16, 14 were there the previous season. We then made some signings to improve the team and finished a comfortable 3rd. 

Must of not got rid of mckay, holt etc keatings Wilson? 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Must of not got rid of mckay, holt etc keatings Wilson? 

You would have kept those players? Holt rejected a contract - we wanted him to stay.

Another thing you got wrong was that, much as I like Locke and thought he did a very decent job all things considered in the relegation season, John McGlynn deserves the credit for bringing through Walker and Paterson.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

You would have kept those players? Holt rejected a contract - we wanted him to stay.

Another thing you got wrong was that, much as I like Locke and thought he did a very decent job all things considered in the relegation season, John McGlynn deserves the credit for bringing through Walker and Paterson.

Did he play them during our relagation season did he? Holt rejected a contract because the terms offered were nowhere near good enough, after that he was virtually frozen out and told to train with youth team, then moving out on loan. 

On 30/11/2020 at 21:08, SectionDJambo said:

I thought Tommy Sheridan was his doubles partner 

Are you referring to a certain club down in Manchester 🤔

On 01/12/2020 at 14:07, Bongo 1874 said:

Kingsley has played games in EPL and has one cap. Do you really think Doig will emulate or beat that? 

On 01/12/2020 at 14:29, SectionDJambo said:

Good post, quite sensible.  Just 1 or 2 in a team, with the intention to give each one a run of 5 or 6 matches, then a rest and try 1 or 2 others, etc.    I don't understand why Robbie has dropped Irving - he's got the physique, athleticism, awareness and passing ability.    The modern coaching manuals are just crazy at times.

On 01/12/2020 at 14:45, Bongo 1874 said:

If you think those three are the standard of players we should be using the academy to develop then heaven help us. King was released by Morton in the summer and is currently playing in Ireland. McHattie has played 21 top league games in the nearly 6 years since he left us. McKay has proven to be a solid second tier defender. Don’t sound like players we need, miss or would want to sign to me. 

On 01/12/2020 at 14:47, Bongo 1874 said:

Doig has now been replaced by Sean Mackie, another player we released because we had better ahead of him in the pecking order.  Sometimes coaches just have to make a call. The decision to go with Hickey, then Watson has proved correct. Logan, a right back, has also looked better at left back than Mackie on a few occasions he has been asked to play there.  

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Did he play them during our relagation season did he? Holt rejected a contract because the terms offered were nowhere near good enough, after that he was virtually frozen out and told to train with youth team, then moving out on loan. 

Holt was always going to Ibrox. His agent had only route for his players at that time. Rangers were always going to pay much more than us. 

6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Doig has now been replaced by Sean Mackie, another player we released because we had better ahead of him in the pecking order.  Sometimes coaches just have to make a call. The decision to go with Hickey, then Watson has proved correct. Logan, a right back, has also looked better at left back than Mackie on a few occasions he has been asked to play there.  

You're making the case for Hearts decision-making about releasing young players based on their position (RB, LB etc) - but your comment about Cammy Logan shows that it's possible to convert a good young footballer to other positions. 

A good footballer is a good footballer, especially a young one - are we actually considering  developing any  of them into forwards ?  We're absolutely crying out for attacking young players to make the grade.     

Just now, Lone Striker said:

You're making the case for Hearts decision-making about releasing young players based on their position (RB, LB etc) - but your comment about Cammy Logan shows that it's possible to convert a good young footballer to other positions. 

A good footballer is a good footballer, especially a young one - are we actually considering  developing any  of them into forwards ?  We're absolutely crying out for attacking young players to make the grade.     

They are thin on the ground at all levels at most clubs. Biggest challenge Clarke has is finding someone to put the ball in the net. Listening to kids nowadays it’s much easier to progress in positions where you are facing up the field rather than doing the tough stuff with your back to goal. When I hear 10 year olds talking about being a dfm, or a rwb it gets my goat. Just get out and play. Find out your best position once you are 16/17. 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Holt was always going to Ibrox. His agent had only route for his players at that time. Rangers were always going to pay much more than us. 

Holt was forced out the door as questioned why he wasn't getting more game time, and how was Prince playing ahead of him 👍

2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Kingsley has played games in EPL and has one cap. Do you really think Doig will emulate or beat that? 

He's 18 year old and has plenty of time to improve as a player 👍

Edited by Bongo 1874

If you think those three are the standard of players we should be using the academy to develop then heaven help us. King was released by Morton in the summer and is currently playing in Ireland. McHattie has played 21 top league games in the nearly 6 years since he left us. McKay has proven to be a solid second tier defender. Don’t sound like players we need, miss or would want to sign to me. 

I'm not saying they are the standard, but what i would argue is, have we brought in much better players to replace them , the players we brought in for them were they that much better in terms of ability etc.

Doig has not been replaced by mackie, he's been carrying a knock recently, he was always told he would be rotated this year between him Mackie and Stevenson. 

And we haven't went with Watson he is currently out on loan to the rose, when he could have be an understudy to Kingsley, a guy that has played premiership football. 

Watson is more than good enough to be around first team if McGill is etc, Robbie should be putting these boys in so they are ready for when we go back up, but insists on picking Oliver Lee over Andy Irving. 

And rather than developing Chris Hamilton at our club, he's been farmed out on loan to Dumbarton. 

And we play Christophe berra, rather than developing and playing him at our club. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Doig has not been replaced by mackie, he's been carrying a knock recently, he was always told he would be rotated this year between him Mackie and Stevenson. 

And we haven't went with Watson he is currently out on loan to the rose, when he could have be an understudy to Kingsley, a guy that has played premiership football. 

Watson is more than good enough to be around first team if McGill is etc, Robbie should be putting these boys in so they are ready for when we go back up, but insists on picking Oliver Lee over Andy Irving. 

And rather than developing Chris Hamilton at our club, he's been farmed out on loan to Dumbarton. 

And we play Christophe berra, rather than developing and playing him at our club. 

If all of these suggestions were possible, what would be your team for Morton (ie assume the loan players were available for us) this weekend?

7 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I'm not saying they are the standard, but what i would argue is, have we brought in much better players to replace them , the players we brought in for them were they that much better in terms of ability etc.

Absolutely. Andy White is better than McHattie.  Several better than Billy King, Soutar and Halkett better than McKay. 
Cant argue with facts, over the last 10 years or so I can’t think of any of the academy kids that we have allowed to leave that have gone on to play at a higher level on a consistent basis with the possible exception of Cummings and even that’s debatable. 

7 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Watson is the clear replacement for Hickey and Kingsley but he is only 17 so needs game time and experience. BRose this season and a championship club next season and he will still be in our first team at 18/19. Why rush him?  Look what happened with Cochrane, McDonald and Smith. Cant even get a first pick slot with Montrose and Arbroath. 

I haven't read through this thread for about a million and one reasons, However i would just like to say that I would like Robbie to stay at Hearts mid to long term (yes even after our embarrassing loss against the wasps) The fact is all managers have poor results, See Lennon and also Mcinnes recently too, Was thinking alot about this over the last few days and was thinking about how many managers we have gone through in the last 10 years, In that period from my knowledge we have had Csaba, Jim Jefferies, Paulo, John Mcglynn, Gary Locke, Robbie Neilson, Ian Cathro, Craig Levein, Daniel Stendel, then Robbie Neilson again.

That's 9 different managers in 10 years!! No wonder we are so inconsistent and can't improve? If you want to include caretaker managers we have had 11 with Mcphee and Daly thrown into the mix.

At what point are we going to just stick with a manager and let him build our team? I know probably more than half of those managers ultimately weren't good enough, Although I would argue that JJ, Paulo, Robbie and Stendel to an extent deserved more time and a chance to build a team over a couple of season's.

I'm just sick to death of chopping and changing and i want some stability and consistency for the club, I believe it is the only way that we will grow and have sucess on the pitch again. We can't just get rid of every manager after a poor result or two imo, Having said all that If Robbie fails to get us up this season, I will own up and say that i would be the first to want a change, He has to achieve promotion at the bear minimum, So there is definitely pressure and there always should be a pressure at Hearts.

I believe Robbie will handle that pressure and get us up without too much drama (Cup win would be an excellent bonus, Would get alot of the fans off his back too)

I don't know really i just want our club to go through a bit of a stable period for a while and if robbie can be a stable manager for the next 5 years for us, Get us up this year and then get us consistent top 4/5 finishes in the prem for the next few years then I would absolutely take that and hope to build on it with the next potential manager.

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I haven't read through this thread for about a million and one reasons, However i would just like to say that I would like Robbie to stay at Hearts mid to long term (yes even after our embarrassing loss against the wasps) The fact is all managers have poor results, See Lennon and also Mcinnes recently too, Was thinking alot about this over the last few days and was thinking about how many managers we have gone through in the last 10 years, In that period from my knowledge we have had Csaba, Jim Jefferies, Paulo, John Mcglynn, Gary Locke, Robbie Neilson, Ian Cathro, Craig Levein, Daniel Stendel, then Robbie Neilson again.

That's 9 different managers in 10 years!! No wonder we are so inconsistent and can't improve? If you want to include caretaker managers we have had 11 with Mcphee and Daly thrown into the mix.

At what point are we going to just stick with a manager and let him build our team? I know probably more than half of those managers ultimately weren't good enough, Although I would argue that JJ, Paulo, Robbie and Stendel to an extent deserved more time and a chance to build a team over a couple of season's.

I'm just sick to death of chopping and changing and i want some stability and consistency for the club, I believe it is the only way that we will grow and have sucess on the pitch again. We can't just get rid of every manager after a poor result or two imo, Having said all that If Robbie fails to get us up this season, I will own up and say that i would be the first to want a change, He has to achieve promotion at the bear minimum, So there is definitely pressure and there always should be a pressure at Hearts.

I believe Robbie will handle that pressure and get us up without too much drama (Cup win would be an excellent bonus, Would get alot of the fans off his back too)

I don't know really i just want our club to go through a bit of a stable period for a while and if robbie can be a stable manager for the next 5 years for us, Get us up this year and then get us consistent top 4/5 finishes in the prem for the next few years then I would absolutely take that and hope to build on it with the next potential manager.

FFs.  That's far too sensible for here.

9 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Both of these players will be away next season. 

Robbie obviously doesn't rate Irving or he would be played ahead of Lee who is one of the slowest players I have ever seen.

They are both out of contract at the end of the season and unless something dramatic happens between now and then to change Robbie's mind they will both be away.

Hopefully they will be joined by many more of the dross that currently fills a still large playing squad.

Robbie will have another season of rebuilding but hopefully not bringing in more players of the Frear and Roberts calibre.

4 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Absolutely. Andy White is better than McHattie.  Several better than Billy King, Soutar and Halkett better than McKay. 
Cant argue with facts, over the last 10 years or so I can’t think of any of the academy kids that we have allowed to leave that have gone on to play at a higher level on a consistent basis with the possible exception of Cummings and even that’s debatable. 

Yeah aidy white has lit up Scottish football 🤔

• davemclaren changed the title to Official Neilson Out Thread ( merged )