Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

Tbh, if his name wasn't so similar to the rugby player of the 70's, I'd have already forgotten all about him.

Decent enough player, at times, but I think it's fair to suggest we've already moved forward in leaps and bounds from that level of player.

Anybody want him back?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

HeartsandonlyHearts
5 hours ago, frankblack said:

Any chance of Bayern making an offer?🤭

Please tell me we have a sell on % on his next move

🤪

4 hours ago, martoon said:

Tbh, if his name wasn't so similar to the rugby player of the 70's, I'd have already forgotten all about him.

Decent enough player, at times, but I think it's fair to suggest we've already moved forward in leaps and bounds from that level of player.

Anybody want him back?

It’s not that I think he’s a bad player but he’s too slow. We had so many guys who just slowed everything down and made us easier to play against. I wouldn’t want him back but he does have some talent and wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up back in our league at some point. 

A_A wehatethehibs
11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s not that I think he’s a bad player but he’s too slow. We had so many guys who just slowed everything down and made us easier to play against. I wouldn’t want him back but he does have some talent and wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up back in our league at some point. 

We’re not in the Championship any more mate!

Fair enough he’s gambled on an unconventional move, if it went right it could’ve been amazing for him. Doesn’t sound great at the moment but who knows. 

To think there were some fans wanting to “pay him what he wants”, “give him a 4 year deal on £5k a week” 😂

I’m sure Neilson told the wonder kid midfielders frankly and honestly his plan to strengthen that area, with Devlin and Beni types to come in. Irving and Cochrane would not be getting games here this season. 

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We’re not in the Championship any more mate!

Fair enough he’s gambled on an unconventional move, if it went right it could’ve been amazing for him. Doesn’t sound great at the moment but who knows. 

To think there were some fans wanting to “pay him what he wants”, “give him a 4 year deal on £5k a week” 😂

I’m sure Neilson told the wonder kid midfielders frankly and honestly his plan to strengthen that area, with Devlin and Beni types to come in. Irving and Cochrane would not be getting games here this season. 

Yeah, when/if he comes back to Scotland I think it'll be to the championship. From there he can start again. I do think he's a decent player and could do ok at the likes of St Mirren or Dundee.

Who knows his motivation for going to such a poor level but his agent doesn't look too clever on the face of it.

And aye, he wouldn't have got a sniff with us this season.

8 hours ago, tian447 said:

As long as he was getting paid about the same as what he was getting here, and he enjoyed his time (and enjoys his time) there, it's not really a bad move for him.  Maybe he's happy being out there and trying new things. 

He'll get a club in Scotland no bother, so the risk is minimal, and it was a chance to piss off and experience living in Germany for a while. 

I'd probably have done the same. 

Oh aye, in terms of life experience you can't argue at all, but in terms of a professional footballer thinking about his career, as above, bizarre.

He was obviously sold the dream that plays in Germany and moves up the leagues. Will

br back in the Scottish championship probably in the summer 

Edited by Newton51

Ford Prentice

New manager came in half way through the season. Real oddball by all accounts. Didn't play Irving at first but he seems to have worked his way back into the team. If they go down I'd guess another German team may pick him up if he wants to stay over there.

Wouldn't have fitted into our 3-4-3 so was better off leaving. Hope it works out for him.

Glamorgan Jambo

Hope he sticks in Germany for a few years. Will make him a better person and hopefully a more complete footballer.

He was pivotal in a couple of absolutely horrible away wins last season (Alloa and Dumbarton IIRC). The sort of games you need to win to win the championship title.

A_A wehatethehibs
15 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Hope he sticks in Germany for a few years. Will make him a better person and hopefully a more complete footballer.

He was pivotal in a couple of absolutely horrible away wins last season (Alloa and Dumbarton IIRC). The sort of games you need to win to win the championship title.

He was also pivotal in starting the sorts of games that got us relegated, and sorts of games got us knocked out of both cup competitions embarassingly by minnows.

If I were him I’d be looking to jump ship now in this window while the stock is still semi-decent at championship level, if he can get a club.

His career is absolutely ****ed if this tin pot club he’s signed for get relegated to a juniors league 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Changed days since there was discussion about building a team around him. 

It seems pretty mental now

13 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Still the most bizarre Hearts transfer I can think of, in terms of trying to understand the player's decision-making at such a crucial stage in his development.

13 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yeah, always suspected it's for lifestyle reasons which I totally get. Just at the time there was talk of it being for football reasons, which I just don't see. Could just be one of these guys who wants to use football as a way to see a bit of the world while he can - fair play. A number of Scottish player have done that and played in lots of countries as a professional but at a pretty low level. Thing is, he was an established first team player at a top club in his own country and had just broken into the Scotland U21s. I've never seen such a deliberate backwards step, even taking into account possible lifestyle reasons.

12 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Someone will no doubt take a chance on him back here - ironically because of how well he did at Hearts, not anything since. Can't imagine it will be at a higher level than the Scottish Championship at first though. What a waste but Neilson and co clearly saw that he would struggle to fit in to the 3-4-3 we planned to play and so couldn't guarantee him first team football. As a deep-lying playmaker with a decent long pass and shot on him he showed a bit of promise though.

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Changed days since there was discussion about building a team around him. 

I was one of those who was desperate to keep him so I have to hold my hand up. 

Maybe we should give Robbie Neilson some credit, I could only see the sweet left foot, which Robbie acknowledged, but the coaches and some of the posters on here obviously saw other stuff that I didn't. He'll be 22 in May which is a bit late to be making an impact.

However, he's probably fluent in German now, which is a serious life skill, and nothing ventured nothing gained. 

Edited by upgotheheads

He was one of a few who probably had their best games for Hearts under Stendel, notably the home league win over Rangers in which he was outstanding.

I thought it was a strange move at the time as well, but who knows what his motivations were?

45 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I was one of those who was desperate to keep him so I have to hold my hand up. 

Maybe we should give Robbie Neilson some credit, I could only see the sweet left foot, which Robbie acknowledged, but the coaches and some of the posters on here obviously saw other stuff that I didn't. He'll be 22 in May which is a bit late to be making an impact.

However, he's probably fluent in German now, which is a serious life skill, and nothing ventured nothing gained. 

I'd be gobsmacked if that were the case after 6 months.

25 minutes ago, King prawn said:

I'd be gobsmacked if that were the case after 6 months.

Yeah I didn't want to say, but that would be pretty amazing!

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

wouldn't be surprised to see young Andy back in Scotland sometime soon...

Let’s hope he changes agent or he’ll end up at Spartans!

Won’t see a more stupid career move in your life.

I refuse to have a go at a player who took a risk and tried with a move abroad , I’m sure he’ll get another club but maybe not at the level he had with Hearts

• davemclaren changed the title to Irving - German club files for insolvency ( updated )
3 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

That’s not far from his level to be honest. 

1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

I refuse to have a go at a player who took a risk and tried with a move abroad , I’m sure he’ll get another club but maybe not at the level he had with Hearts

But he made an awful move abroad. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

But he made an awful move abroad. 

It was a strange choice of team to go to but at least he had the bottle to try it 

5 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

His agent will be working overtime looking for a new club, he'll now be a free agent I guess.

Wouldn't be surprised if he came back to Hearts to train until he finds a club. 

I really don't understand what that team was all about.  They were originally a team for the Turkish community, and have already went bust once in their history before because people stopped really caring about them once they stopped fielding as many Turkish players, and they plummeted down the leagues.  

They don't really seem to have an identity; they currently have a mixed bag of players who didn't make it at higher levels, of which only 3 are either Turkish or of Turkish backgrounds. 

What exactly is the club all about?  Their team name is literally "Turkish Power Munchen" (Türk = Turkish, gücü = Power, in Turkish), their badge contains the Turkish flag Star and Crescent Moon.

I know that times change, and that's why you end up with teams like Hibs still holding on to historic names without necessarily having that identity any more, but they already went through an insolvency event and started a new club in 2001, and then merged with another team with a similar background in 2009 to create the current set up of the club, then even changed the name again in 2011, and they still didn't bother to spend any time thinking about the club's identity.

Seems like a bit of a basket case of a club anyway.

14 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

This.

he's been sold the equivalent of a dodgy timeshare

5 minutes ago, Macros said:

Would you have him back? It's not an area we have a problem with at the moment I know, just interested in what the consensus is 

Not for me, got to admit I didn't want him to leave but given what's happened since... We've not missed him in the slightest. Wonder how smug his agent is now? Been poorly advised, shame for the lad.

Edited by WDJ87

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Macros said:

Would you have him back? It's not an area we have a problem with at the moment I know, just interested in what the consensus is 

Great vision but doesn’t really fit in with what we are trying to do, wouldn’t be first choice either. Just a bit slow to play as a 10 also. 

InternationalJambo
5 minutes ago, Macros said:

Not got the legs for our system. I said when he initially left he wasn’t rated by the new management team so I can’t see it. 

6 minutes ago, Macros said:

Doubt he would get a game or even on the bench. 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Macros said:

Absolutely not.

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

This.

he's been sold the equivalent of a dodgy timeshare

One of the other teams in the league might have seen enough to take him on.

I'd jump at the chance to live in Germany.  Looks like there might be a Munich based 3. Liga team's directors position coming up.... :whistling:  

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, tian447 said:

I really don't understand what that team was all about.  They were originally a team for the Turkish community, and have already went bust once in their history before because people stopped really caring about them once they stopped fielding as many Turkish players, and they plummeted down the leagues.  

They don't really seem to have an identity; they currently have a mixed bag of players who didn't make it at higher levels, of which only 3 are either Turkish or of Turkish backgrounds. 

What exactly is the club all about?  Their team name is literally "Turkish Power Munchen" (Türk = Turkish, gücü = Power, in Turkish), their badge contains the Turkish flag Star and Crescent Moon.

I know that times change, and that's why you end up with teams like Hibs still holding on to historic names without necessarily having that identity any more, but they already went through an insolvency event and started a new club in 2001, and then merged with another team with a similar background in 2009 to create the current set up of the club, then even changed the name again in 2011, and they still didn't bother to spend any time thinking about the club's identity.

Seems like a bit of a basket case of a club anyway.

Yeah they seem to be on the top at our if the community don’t back them or rescue them.
Not many Irish obviously but I’m not sure you can say Hibs have lost their identity if you look in their dugout and squad. They’ve signed a certain type of person constantly this century. 

11 minutes ago, Macros said:

Nope.

AlphonseCapone
13 minutes ago, Macros said:

Not close to good enough 

12 minutes ago, Macros said:

No, he liked to play walking football 

ToadKiller Dog

Nope , while I sort of see the idea of moving to bundisliga 3 to try to get a quick move to a higher level German side ,doesn't seem as if he has really done much to achieve that .

Most likely will need to move to a low end spfl premiership or a championship side and try to rebuild if he comes back to Scotland. 

Imagine we'd paid him the wages he was after. Remember the feeling amongst some of the fan base when he left. :laugh:

The guy wouldn't get in front of McEneff. Infact, I'd love our midfield to come up against him.

He'll be back in the Championship...at best. I'll take a guess at Raith.

Irving in a Hearts shirt already feels like a hundred years ago.

I wish him well, unless he hooks up with the emailers.

Dennis Reynolds

Shame for the lad. Not a great position to be in. Hopefully ends up at one of the other clubs in that league that fancy a punt on him.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )