Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

7 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He would be a squad option which we will need, as playing more football next season. 

433 with a midfield of Irving, Beni, Devlin. 

Strange squad option who gets carried through games by the other two first choice midfielders, both of whom don't get a rest whatsoever.  A midfield two of Beni, Devlin and Irving.  

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

5 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yes but you still need squad player's. 

Not everyone is happy to be a bit part player. 

We won’t be signing Irving. He’s very clearly far too slow for the way we play.  

WheatfieldWarrior
28 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

As he is now a free agent and we are two midfielders down, a short term contract might make sense.

We've still got Haring, Sibbick, Halliday & McEneff at a minimum, Devlin and Smith when we get them fit. 

I don't think we nee him tbh.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Irving as a squad player

:cornette:

Irving back in a Hearts jersey

:cornette:

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Check these you tube highlights out, we should sign this guy. 

Check out the comments on YouTube! Surely not..

shoes64

Oof! Some player. Going to make someone a lot of money. Always injured, but still...

laptopgenius(upyoursboydy)

With stats like that, someone will pick him up. He needs to be used as part of a midfield pivot duo. When defending hold his position and recycle possession from deep, maintaining good pressing intensity without the ball....

nannymcphee

Can he take a corner?

danthe(ger)man

Press, press, press, did you see that press? Pressy, press, press, press...

phoodle

SHITE!

Edited by ToqueJambo

Is anyone really in the know enough on here to be able to accurately describe how good Irving is right now?

If he's good sign him on a 2 year deal.

If he's pish.....probably a 4 year deal.

Bazzas right boot

We've got players like Beni, Devlin, McKay with the the likes of Haliday, GMS, Gino and Haring struggling to get game time. 

Yet some think Irving would improve us... 

Ffs. 

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I have a feeling we may be receiving fees for the likes of Beni and Devlin in summer, like bodo this is what genuinely happens to clubs on the up. 

Anything like a £5mil offer or above and I reckon the club would seriously consider it. 

If they do hopefully they can leave with a Scottish cup win to there achievements. 

All speculation don't take this as I'm saying they are definitely going, just have a feeling that clubs will have seen the progress we have made and be in for them. 

They are good enough to play English championship football / lower level Premier league. 

Even if a squad player for a prem team they are still very young. 

Hopefully we can keep them. 

No one is buying Devlin or Beni this summer. 

And if we get £5m bids  for any player we will 100% sell, unfortunately that won't be happening. 

McKay is the one that we might get bids for, but it won't be £5m.

23 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

mmm, liked him, wanted to stay with the correct coaching I too feel he would of progressed. However the club and he were poles apart on his worth and his bubble has very much popped. Can't forget easily the way he rushed out the door and am just not sure he is worth the upheaval his return would cause.

Showed potential with us and nothing more. If he's progressed at all then another German club may have noticed. I don't think he'd be sure of a game with us this season.

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Check out the comments on YouTube! Surely not..

shoes64

Oof! Some player. Going to make someone a lot of money. Always injured, but still...

laptopgenius(upyoursboydy)

With stats like that, someone will pick him up. He needs to be used as part of a midfield pivot duo. When defending hold his position and recycle possession from deep, maintaining good pressing intensity without the ball....

nannymcphee

Can he take a corner?

danthe(ger)man

Press, press, press, did you see that press? Pressy, press, press, press...

phoodle

SHITE!

😂😂  made me laugh 😂 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Section Q said:

Showed potential with us and nothing more. If he's progressed at all then another German club may have noticed. I don't think he'd be sure of a game with us this season.

Showed very limited potential Tbh. 

He'd be nowhere near the  team this season or next season. 

He'd have to have improved an awful lot to get in any spfl team, never mind ours. 

14 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Showed very limited potential Tbh. 

He'd be nowhere near the  team this season or next season. 

He'd have to have improved an awful lot to get in any spfl team, never mind ours. 

I don’t know how much he’ll have improved playing  at the level he did in a Germany.  I don’t know who advised him on this course when it came to making up his mind which direction his career would take,  it it’s obviously been a complete disaster.    A player with an excellent left peg, little pace though.  He’d be worth a punt for the the rest season given how thin our squad is just now. He’d have to show far more appetite for the game and commitment if he wanted a contract though.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Deevers said:

I don’t know how much he’ll have improved playing  at the level he did in a Germany.  I don’t know who advised him on this course when it came to making up his mind which direction his career would take,  it it’s obviously been a complete disaster.    A player with an excellent left peg, little pace though.  He’d be worth a punt for the the rest season given how thin our squad is just now. He’d have to show far more appetite for the game and commitment if he wanted a contract though.

The advise waa poor but he's not good enough. 

Irving is a bit of a conundrum.

One of our better players in a pretty awful side, which is perhaps why he is looked upon somewhat favourably?

We did offer him a new contract, which he declined. Had he accepted, maybe he may have kicked on and be starring for us right now? Who knows.

As it stands now, he would be surplus to requirements and, without having seen him play recently, I can only imagine he hasn't developed any further and possibly has regressed. His career has stalled, which is unfortunate for him.

I wish him well and hope he gets another club.

Batistuta87

Absolutely nothing against the lad - I respect him for having a go and trying to better himself by playing in a country like Germany, and I think those who wished any sort of harm on him or who are laughing at him now need to take a long hard look at themselves and stop being such petty, jealous wee girls. He's gone and had a crack at something we can only dream of and should be applauded for it at the end of the day.

That said, he's miles away from being a Hearts player and I would be raging if we signed him. He's just not good enough and was nothing more than a stop gap while we were in the Championship. He was pretty average there, and I think that's about his level. If he comes back to Scotland I can see him signing for someone like Hamilton or Dunfernline. Definitely not a Premiership team. 

If he fancies seeing a bit more of the world then I'm sure he could find a club in Australia, USA, Japan, something like that.

20 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Unlike Sevco we don’t bring back players that do walking away end of

Craig Gordon, John Robertson, John Colquhoun, Christophe Berra ...... and the odd manager like Robbie Neilson, Craig Levein, Jim Jefferies ... 

jambo-rocker

Didn't Irving have the most successful passes into the final third by a distance in his season in the premiership?

Honestly he's someone different to the midfielders we have. Although he's not the most mobile, he certainly someone that can keep possession with that left peg of his.

Alex Kintner

People genuinely think Irving is good enough to get in our squad? :rofl:

His ponderous style and sideways-passing is everything that was wrong with us in past few years and a million miles from where we are.

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, jambo-rocker said:

Didn't Irving have the most successful passes into the final third by a distance in his season in the premiership?

Honestly he's someone different to the midfielders we have. Although he's not the most mobile, he certainly someone that can keep possession with that left peg of his.

Aye, and he did pretty much nowt else. We would need to change pretty much everything about how we play to accommodate him, and we already have players who are better at keeping possession.

Bungalow Bill

My friend is mates with the Everton scout and they watched Irvine a few times. The scout mentioned his composure and willingness to want the ball even after making mistakes. 

For me, he seemed to always get caught on the ball deep in our half putting us under pressure. 

Irving's range of passing was brilliant. Better than most we have currently. He's a bit of a luxury player in that aspect though, as he doesn't do much else. 

Alex Kintner
5 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Irving's range of passing was brilliant. Better than most we have currently. He's a bit of a luxury player in that aspect though, as he doesn't do much else. 

Charlie Adam is a good example of a midfielder with a brilliant range of passing but who also gets about the pitch and contributes to attack and defence. Even at his current age, Adam is more mobile than Irving.

8 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Charlie Adam is a good example of a midfielder with a brilliant range of passing but who also gets about the pitch and contributes to attack and defence. Even at his current age, Adam is more mobile than Irving.

Yeah I'd agree. With the right coaching and team, Irving could be brilliant. I doubt that will be with us though, as Robbie clearly didn't rate him.

As an ex player and massive jambo, I hope he does well though!

7 hours ago, Dayman said:

Yeah I'd agree. With the right coaching and team, Irving could be brilliant. I doubt that will be with us though, as Robbie clearly didn't rate him.

If he was such a massive Jambo why did he feck off to the German third Division ?

I could understand it if he had gone to a decent club at a good level but he ended up at the German equivalent of Alloa and even then couldn't nail down a first team place. 

His ambition matched his performances non existent. 

20 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Is anyone really in the know enough on here to be able to accurately describe how good Irving is right now?

If he's good sign him on a 2 year deal.

If he's pish.....probably a 4 year deal.

In and out of the squad. Rarely started. Scored once 

Guest ToqueJambo
8 hours ago, Dayman said:

I think Robbie and Savage offered him a contract but Neilson was no doubt already planning the centre midfield we have now so you can see how Irving wouldn't have been a guaranteed first pick, and he must have known that.

Edited by ToqueJambo

36 minutes ago, luckydug said:

If he was such a massive Jambo why did he feck off to the German third Division ?

I could understand it if he had gone to a decent club at a good level but he ended up at the German equivalent of Alloa and even then couldn't nail down a first team place. 

His ambition matched his performances non existent. 

He was offered less than his current contract that was basically his youth contract I think. Not a big decision. German third division is 1000000 times more appealing than playing for morton.

19 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think Robbie and Savage offered him a contract but Neilson was no doubt already planning the centre midfield we have now so you can see how Irving wouldn't have been a guaranteed first pick, and he must have known that.

Yeah. Hence why he was offered pennies and didn't accept. That's life!

• 2 months later...
Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

Great move for him.  Australia is a wonderful place.  Time to put another shrimp on the barby. 

🤣  er...

38 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Andy Irving has signed for a new club, the Austrian top tier team SK Austria Klagenfurt, a 3 year contract

https://www.skaustriaklagenfurt.at/news/vertrag-bis-2025-austria-holt-irving-2095

Depending on what ranking site you use, ClubELO has his new team somewhere between Celtic and ourselves, whilst Euro Club Index has them around Motherwell/St Johnstone/St Mirren.

If the former is correct it’s a great move for him, If it’s the latter then it’s probably his level

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Indeed. Glad to see that he is looking to make it work on the continent rather than come back and play for the likes of Partick or Raith.

I agree. From everything said he has wanted to play in Europe rather going for the easy option of clubs in Scotland or English lower leagues. After the disappointment of how it ended with his previous club, this is a good chance for him if he takes it.

25 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Great move for him.  Australia is a wonderful place.  Time to put another shrimp on the barby. 

Austria ain’t bad also.

1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

It's nae Sydney. 

I had Jim Carey pictured in my head from dumb and dumber when I read your post 😂😂

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

I had Jim Carey pictured in my head from dumb and dumber when I read your post 😂😂

I try :lol: 

9 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Andy Irving has signed for a new club, the Austrian top tier team SK Austria Klagenfurt, a 3 year contract

https://www.skaustriaklagenfurt.at/news/vertrag-bis-2025-austria-holt-irving-2095

Aw goodoh, that's a decent move for the boy.  Wonder how his German is!!

Hope he does well.  Good on him - woulda been very easy to head back to Dunfermline or something.  Pete Haring was playing below that level at that age.

What I find funny is that if Irving had gone to an English third tier team, it'd be seen as a good move for him, but having done so but to Germany it was laughable.  I know other countries don't have the depth of the English game, but still he probably simply saw the shop window side of things.

I like Andy - local boy, Jambo, lots of ability, just not the athleticism we needed, simple as that, not more no less to it.  Hope he has a stellar career, really do.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )