Celtic’s Dubai Trip - player covid positive ( merged )

His name is

The Treasurer

Am I missing something.

Sellik seem to think they are all ok to play tonight because the rest of the squad have tested negative.

However Aguerro couldn't play for Citeh yesterday as, although he'd tested negative, he had been in contact with someone who was positive.

I would have thought spending 4 hours on a plane with a positive person would count as "being in contact"

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• John Findlay

Wee krankie will demand to know the name of the player involved. ...so she can send him a signed get well soon card on behalf of the people of scotland

Dagger Is Back
31 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Can't see tonights the game on bookies websites anymore. Defo not on Bet365.

It’s on Ladbrokes and 888 but not B365 or WH

The Old Tolbooth
9 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Is Julien not badly injured? If so would be surprised if he had gone to Dubai.

They’re making out it was a working holiday, it was anything but, anything for them to deflect and sweep. 

The Old Tolbooth
36 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Can't see tonights the game on bookies websites anymore. Defo not on Bet365.

it was the same with the Villa v Liverpool game on Friday too, bookies suspended betting until they knew more about what was happening, and what teams would be fielded. 

Something far wrong if everyone who was on that trip is not now forced to quarantine for the specified period.  This is now the acid test for the SFA and SPFL.  Absolutely no confidence that they will do anything other than what Peter Lawell demands. 

Italian Lambretta

The Hobos will today announce a new signing on loan from their weegie pals and then the game wil be called off due to a waterlogged pitch

21 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

would have thought spending 4 hours on a plane with a positive person would count as "being in contact"

Try 8 hours flight from Dubai...if this is a more potent strain than before where you could catch it after 15 minutes contact I would think the whole charter would be infected in that time...

24 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Am I missing something.

Sellik seem to think they are all ok to play tonight because the rest of the squad have tested negative.

However Aguerro couldn't play for Citeh yesterday as, although he'd tested negative, he had been in contact with someone who was positive.

I would have thought spending 4 hours on a plane with a positive person would count as "being in contact"

Track and trace will need to go through it's protocols before deciding who needs to self isolate.

I think the Scotland U21s had 3 positive tests, but 11 in total had to self isolate, despite negative tests.  And it was pimarily down to where players were seated on the plane.

And if IIRC, anyone tested positive will be asked their movements 48 hours before positive test, where they were and if in vicinity of someone for more than 15 minutes and two metres.

And remember they are only allowed to be exempt from 2 and 15 if on playing or training pitch, team meals e.g. need to follow.

This may have a bit to run yet before game starts tonight.

9 hours ago, smiler said:

Pardon my ignorance but should Celtic not forfeit the game as a 3 nil loss, or some such?

Game is to be postponed yet....

And then if so an investigation would need to be made into the circumstances surrounding why it was.

In St. Mirren and Kilmarnock's case they accepted that Covid guidelines weren't followed and it was primarily down to lack of responsibilty from their Covid Officer and senior management in carrying out their duties to ensure players followed the protocols.

Celtic has already imo thrown Bolingoli under the bus and put all blame on him.

Can they 'ask' the individuals to take the heat this time.......(if it comes to it)

Edited by DETTY29

41 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Wee krankie will demand to know the name of the player involved. ...so she can send him a signed get well soon card on behalf of the people of scotland

This Krankie stuff is tedious, I don't think for one minute she will miss Celtic when she speaks about this

5 minutes ago, lou said:

This Krankie stuff is tedious, I don't think for one minute she will miss Celtic when she speaks about this

Yeah it’s beyond tedious. Crap chat from anyone that uses it thinking it’s funny. She clearly doesn’t like football in the slightest and is not biased towards any of the clubs. 

ToadKiller Dog

Seems an attempt in the media to move the blame for celtics trip onto the Gov they won't like that ,so my expectation is that the gov will say they expect celtic to do the right thing and self isolate putting it back onto the SPFL/celtic board .

Who will likely do nothing leading to a shut down from the Gov when we reach peak levels this winter in a few weeks .

22 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

The Hobos will today announce a new signing on loan from their weegie pals and then the game wil be called off due to a waterlogged pitch

This is exactly what will happen.

The game will get called off at lunch-time. Celtic will go into defence mode blaming all and sundry apart from themselves.

Hibs will say we are very disappointed the game has been called off and nothing else.

Footballing authorities will say we have done all we can in the circumstances and will investigate blah de blah. Celtic unpunished and the punishments meted out to Kilmarnock and St Mirren will be reversed, due to no punishment for Celtic and the SG will issue Scottish football its umpteenth yellow card.

There will be a new hill named in Glassgow called the Mount Florida mound, where anything and everything can be swept under.

17 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

Yeah it’s beyond tedious. Crap chat from anyone that uses it thinking it’s funny. She clearly doesn’t like football in the slightest and is not biased towards any of the clubs. 

Does she like anything? 

Even if the players on the Dubai jolly have to isolate for 10 days, I refuse to believe that Celtic don't  have 13 other players on their books including youths, who could play tonight. 

The bigger concern, though, is the possibility of further restrictions on the game as a whole. First Minister Nicola Sturgeon warned on Friday that “all bets are off” if football fails to adhere to proper Covid protocol.

It is understood that there will be discussions today with serious consideration given to whether lower leagues can continue given their testing resources and the burgeoning numbers of the virus, decisions that were due to be made regardless of the aftermath of Celtic’s ill-advised trip, with this season’s Scottish Cup at stake.

So there we have it, it will depend where they draw the line. Do all the Championship clubs have the same testing and bubble régime as us? I would doubt it, I'm also thinking that the Scottish Cup will have to be abandoned.

Just now, HoGwash said:

Even if the players on the Dubai jolly have to isolate for 10 days, I refuse to believe that Celtic don't  have 13 other players on their books including youths, who could play tonight. 

Did Derby not have to play youths at the weekend? 

1 minute ago, theshed said:

Did Derby not have to play youths at the weekend? 

Aston villa as well but they were cup games under a football association that is not controlled by lawell

Cant expect the SPFL & SFA to enforce the rules where Celtic* are concerned but I'm sure you're supposed to have to play if you have 13 fit players, youths or otherwise.

I notice Doncaster has stopped his ridiculous demands for fans to return sharpish, given that one of the two teams who work his strings have blatantly disregarded good sense among their players. I imagine Ross the ToryRef will be deleting a few back-Tweets as well.

Ex member of the SaS

People need to be careful what they wish for, This could mean another season in the Championship for us.

They won't null and void as they said it couldn't work that way last time, but you can bet they will stop lower leagues ( talk in the papers of just this ) and they could include us.

The GFA have bent the rules with regards professional players to include anyone that has signed their papers, so it's not out of bounds to think they will try to use this as a means to keep the top flight playing.

As much as I hate the bigot twins we should be concentrating on our own game.

Corstorphine Jambo
11 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

I read somewhere that to play a cup game against a team in the top league, your whole team has to be tested. Not sure if this was up here, down south or both. Is it likely the Celtic youth players are routinely tested? If not, I can't see there being enough time for test results to come out if the first team are quarantined from lunchtime.

I wonder if Hibs will even be part of the discussions - or just left hanging around waiting for a call?

17 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

The bigger concern, though, is the possibility of further restrictions on the game as a whole. First Minister Nicola Sturgeon warned on Friday that “all bets are off” if football fails to adhere to proper Covid protocol.

It is understood that there will be discussions today with serious consideration given to whether lower leagues can continue given their testing resources and the burgeoning numbers of the virus, decisions that were due to be made regardless of the aftermath of Celtic’s ill-advised trip, with this season’s Scottish Cup at stake.

So there we have it, it will depend where they draw the line. Do all the Championship clubs have the same testing and bubble régime as us? I would doubt it, I'm also thinking that the Scottish Cup will have to be abandoned.

As it should have been last season, but was played for celtics benefut

CURTOUSY OF tODAYS CURRENT BUN

CELTIC'S squad could now be forced to isolate - two days after their trip to Dubai.

Scotland's travel corridor with the desert state slammed shut last night as a 10-day quarantine for returning travellers was put in place.

Celtic's entire squad could be forced to self-isolate following their controversial trip to Dubai

It came hours after a Hoops player tested positive for Covid.

And it's feared the elite sport exemption on the new curbs may not apply to Neil Lennon's Hoops amid concerns they failed to seek correct Government approval for their controversial trip.

Holyrood officials were locked in talks with legal advisors last night over how the new rules affect Celtic.

Those discussions are due to resume this morning with an announcement expected before lunchtime

Celtic stars, pictured at the airport, arrived back from Dubai on Friday

But social media pictures showing manager Neil Lennon and captain Scott Brown drinking beer by the pool incurred the wrath of Nicola Sturgeon

The First Minister called for a probe into Celtic's winter getaway

The team got back from a training camp on Friday.

The Dubai quarantine kicked in at 4am today but other passengers who have arrived in Scotland from the hotspot since January 3 are being asked to stay home for the same period.

Their quarantine will be backdated to the day they got here.

It comes after a number of cases from Dubai passengers since the new year.

Transport Secretary Michael Matheson last night said: “Imposing quarantine requirements on those arriving in the UK is our first defence.

"That is why we’ve made the decision to remove Dubai from the exemption list.

"People shouldn’t be undertaking non-essential foreign travel.”

We told how Nicola Sturgeon called for a probe into Celtic’s trip after pics showed Lennon and captain Scott Brown enjoying a pint by the pool.

The Scottish Government said: “Scottish Government clinicians and the Greater Glasgow and Clyde Health Protection Team are in contact with Celtic providing advice on next steps.”

Maroon Sailor

Most of us only got to know about this trip when the commentator mentioned that they would be flying out to Dubai after the match with Rangers.

Absolute wallopers for going ahead with it, especially as they have nothing to get ready for, football wise.

It was a piss up in the sun and the timing of it was plain stupid.

They are a bunch of anchors with a capital W

12 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Just read the bbc report and can see now how they will get round this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55615170

They are claiming they don't know if the player was on the trip!!!

We'll know soon enough. If the player was on the trip... you'll see Celtic fielding a second string (if they can't get the game postponed due to a waterlogged pitch!) 

If he was on the trip... it's not something they can hide. If they played him (and his 'bubble' team mates), criminal charges would be brought (as with Boli).

Make no mistake, celtic have ****ed up big time time here... and they know it, no matter what crap they've tried to spin since returning.

The fact that we've not heard from the SFA/SPFL, dungcaste liewell et al, tells us this. They are bricking it.

Edited by Rogue Daddy

3 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

We'll know soon enough. If the player was on the trip... you'll see Celtic fielding a second string (if they can't get the game postponed due to a waterlogged pitch!) 

If he was on the trip... it's not something they can hide. If they played him, criminal charges would be brought (as with Boli).

Make no mistake, celtic have ****ed up big time time here... and they know it, no matter what crap they've tried to spin since returning.

The fact that we've not heard from the SFA/SPFL, dungcaste liewell et al, tells us this. They are bricking it.

This is the amazing thing. Not a peep from any of them! No questions from any of the noisier owners and managers who usually like to have their say on Covid issues either...

Either the authorities are doing a great job of keeping their condemnation behind closed doors or they are just too scared or, or deep in the pocket of, Lawwell and Celtic to do anything. Given that Rangers clearly have sources in the both SFA and SPFL I doubt it is the former...

1 minute ago, inspector said:

If the infected player had not been on the trip, they would have named him. 

Exactly - all deflection from them just now. No doubt in serious talks with Doncaster plotting how to ensure the very best outcome for them. My bet would be their next two games postponed  pending an SPFL investigation into the circumstances - which will totally clear them. Watch this space. 

The SPFL and SFA have got themselves into a muddle over this. As Celtic told them the plan they will be treading very carefully about taking action against Celtic. However, if they take no action the teams already made to forfeit games (subject to appeal) will have major grounds for complaints.

In summary, a standard Scottish football shambles.

10 minutes ago, inspector said:

If the infected player had not been on the trip, they would have named him. 

It's smoke and mirrors. They are entitled to not name the player, but to avoid the obvious question as to whether he was on the Dubai trip is frankly ridiculous. I don't know who the player is, but I can unequivocally state with 100% certainty that he was on the Dubai trip, precisely because they would have breathlessly confirmed if he wasn't in the very same sentence that they confirmed the positive test!

Edited by Spellczech

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

It's smoke and mirrors. They are entitled to not name the player, but to avoid the obvious question as to whether he was on the Dubai trip is frankly ridiculous. I don't know who the player is, but I can unequivocally state with 100% certainty that he was on the Dubai trip, precisely because they would have confirmed if he wasn't in the very same sentence that they confirmed the positive test!

👍

1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

The SPFL and SFA have got themselves into a muddle over this. As Celtic told them the plan they will be treading very carefully about taking action against Celtic. However, if they take no action the teams already made to forfeit games (subject to appeal) will have major grounds for complaints.

In summary, a standard Scottish football shambles.

We may, very well, be about to see how 'teflon' celtic actually are. As I've said on another thread, EVERYTHING negative that's happened in the last 9 months, has had celtic front and centre. Boli, Griffiths parties, picking fighhts with the SG about letting fans in, barricading celtic park to keep their mhanky fans out, Dubai..... this may be one arrogant step too far. We can only hope!

3 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

We may, very well, be about to see how 'teflon' celtic actually are. As I've said on another thread, EVERYTHING negative that's happened in the last 9 months, has had celtic front and centre. Boli, Griffiths parties, picking fighhts with the SG about letting fans in, barricading celtic park to keep their mhanky fans out, Dubai..... this may be one arrogant step too far. We can only hope!

For sure they cannot afford this ill-advised trip to cost them a 0-3 loss and 3 more dropped points. It is hard enough already to see who can take any points off Rangers in the run-in...

44 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Most of us only got to know about this trip when the commentator mentioned that they would be flying out to Dubai after the match with Rangers.

Absolute wallopers for going ahead with it, especially as they have nothing to get ready for, football wise.

It was a piss up in the sun and the timing of it was plain stupid.

They are a bunch of anchors with a capital W

It came to Light  when Celtic asked hibs to rearrange the game. Hibs said no. SPFL ruled in celtics favour.

11 minutes ago, JTJ said:

As long as they have 14 players including one goalie they can play - that's what St Mirren were told. We could lend them Bobby...

Wouldnt it be nice giving Celtic the Boaby.

10 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Lets face it, this is a situation organised by Liewell to declare the league null and void so the smelly scum can still try for 10

For that to be the case and for it to work, first of all Celtic would have had to either deliberately infect players with Covid or produce a whole load of fake positives. And even then it’s only one club, easily taken out of the equation for an isolation period so the season can continue. You only have to look at the league table to realise that there is no way the SPFL will get away with a null and void.

Then you have the SG. Who clearly don’t want to be involved directly with Celtic but equally clearly are near the end of the road with the football authorities. They have the power to withdraw footballs exemptions but again, we are talking about one club with most of the issues and I doubt they will do it YET since they already admitted permission was given for the trip.

I think it’s possible they MIGHT declare that Celtic are not exempt from the isolation requirement due to evidence of the real nature of the trip added to evidence that they did not adhere to protocols whilst they were out there. (Photos plus Kennedy’s statement)

Doing that puts in right back in the hands of the SPFL who can’t null and void as ive said already and will have 3 choices. 1. Postpone Celtic games for 10 days. 2. Award 3-0 losses for Celtics next 2 games which they would appeal along with the other clubs appealing 3. Make Celtic play with youth players who were not in Dubai.

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Throw the book at them. 

If it is the SFA/SPFL book then that will be one sheet of A4 paper, blank on both sides.

11 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

It came to Light  when Celtic asked hibs to rearrange the game. Hibs said no. SPFL ruled in celtics favour.

Hibs were not even consulted. They didn’t know about the change until 2 weeks after it was approved.

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Throw the book at them. 

Would love to see that.

The only option for celtic here, is to play the game with a weakened side... with not just the player with COVID missing. If they are to play completely by the book (for once) we'll be looking at an almost entire 'B' string.

Anything else will be a disaster for them.... which is kinda what I'd like to see. I really don't know how they can spin this one with the whole country and government watching closely.