• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

9 minutes ago, Barack said:

If he's still got any of this in his locker, then I think we'll be ok:

👍 My take away from that is he can cross & finish with both feet. Not very often you see that nowadays.... obviously has bags of talent. Let's hope he can live up to these highlights as he could be a big player for us.

23 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

This. Some of his tricks and skills were ridiculously good. Decent end product aswell. A few Uts fans i know wanted him back. 

Just hope we can keep him fit.

Doesn't seem to have had many bad injuries in his career. Bit of a calf niggle if anything. 

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Is no one worried about all these senior journeymen in our squad and no doubt starting XI?

We have no nucleus to build on.  We are just going through the same old shit - fill gaps one season, fill again the next ad infinitum.

No structure, no stability no reliability.  Not only have we seen about 20 different people wear the armband at one stage or another the past 5 years we are seeing ridiculous turnovers in each position.

The lack of thought in all these 'comfort' singings is scandelous.

senior journeyman? At 29 ? Who exactly are you hoping to sign? 

He is far too injury prone for my liking. Do we have a clause somewhere that we can only sign players who have a history of being injured through their career? Plus a two and a half year contract - which wont be cheap. I would have preferred a younger player with hunger and desire, not another pumping up his retirement pension at Hearts.....

adambraejambo
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

For once I agree with you. 

And he is made of glass. On paper great signing but he has to be on the pitch to make a difference and everywhere he has been he has had significant injuries. 

Our luck is not so good that there is every possibility him and Ginnelly may never see extended game time together 

Not looking to argue but have you looked at his wiki page.  He played 39 games for New York in one year and over 70 for Aberdeen in the 2 previous years. Hardly made of glass 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

senior journeyman? At 29 ? Who exactly are you hoping to sign? 

Pedantic turned 30 in August. Perhaps injuries on the flipside of the coin means lower mileage on the clock. 

Nervous about this one, the better the player the greater the dependency,  the greater the disappointment when they are out 

Rick Sanchez
1 minute ago, gowestjambo said:

He is far too injury prone for my liking. Do we have a clause somewhere that we can only sign players who have a history of being injured through their career? Plus a two and a half year contract - which wont be cheap. I would have preferred a younger player with hunger and desire, not another pumping up his retirement pension at Hearts.....

🤣

19 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

He has to stay fit. 

It can't be overlooked,  unfortunately this is yet another player with injury problems. 

Just keep him out of the Forth ffs

Not sure it's that much of a concern.  Not saying he couldn't get injured, of course he could, but he was involved in every game for NYCFC last season, made 42 appearances in 18/19 and 42 again in 17/18 and the games he did miss were mainly due to concussion.

I think his main injury niggles are behind him.

Just now, south morocco said:

Fantastic viewing indeed 

Also reminded me how many good young players Dundee Utd brought into their team in those days. Mackay-Steven, Gauld, Souttar, Stuart, Armstrong, Robertson to name a few. It's no wonder they fell down the league and into the Championship for a few years after they all left. Think they finished third sometime during those years as well so just shows how important a good youth set-up really is....IF you get it right.

Finlay James
10 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Is no one worried about all these senior journeymen in our squad and no doubt starting XI?

We have no nucleus to build on.  We are just going through the same old shit - fill gaps one season, fill again the next ad infinitum.

No structure, no stability no reliability.  Not only have we seen about 20 different people wear the armband at one stage or another the past 5 years we are seeing ridiculous turnovers in each position.

I agree.  We should be signing guys in their late teens - early 20's who have their development ahead of them and can make us profit going forward.  We already have good experience in Gordon, Naismith, Haring and Smith.

loveofthegame
14 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Our issue in the past has been signing lower league English garbage or foreign nobodies. Our exact signing policy should be best of the rest - your Nisbets, your John McGinns, your Ross McRories, Lewis Fergusons etc.

We need to go back to the days of the 1998 side - Neil McCann, Stevie Fulton, Mickey Cameron, Jim Hamilton, Davie Weir. A nucleus of a worldie side built on taking the best players from smaller teams (and OF "cast-offs", e.g. Niemi (very aware Niemi not part of 1998 side but another example of type of player we've had success with in the past)).

I've no issue whatsoever with signing proven Scottish Premiership players.

Edited by loveofthegame

TyphoonJambo
17 minutes ago, Barack said:

Watching this and I found myself inappropriately touching myself😜

3 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Me too.  Always having issues.    And years past his best, but still possibly expensive.  Does not excite me at all, but if it happens, then obviously I hope I am wrong. 

Rick Sanchez
1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Just need to work out who the striker is now 

Nice one daza 👍

It was probably Brophy...nobody seen that switch coming though. It'd be funny if St Mirren go down paying him a Shankland like wage 😆

Again, "far too injury prone", "always having issues".  He's made well over 100 appearances in his last 3 seasons, I don't think he's exactly falling apart.

15 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Have to agree with that.You could say it's just the way Scottish football is though other than the Old Firm.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, adambraejambo said:

Not looking to argue but have you looked at his wiki page.  He played 39 games for New York in one year and over 70 for Aberdeen in the 2 previous years. Hardly made of glass 

He had a couple of spells out. Head knock and river incident. Aberdeen played well over 100 games in that period. 

2 years in New York really, or 1 and a half at least. 

Fingers crossed all works out

2 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

You know what the judge told you would happen if you got caught at the playground again. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Not sure it's that much of a concern.  Not saying he couldn't get injured, of course he could, but he was involved in every game for NYCFC last season, made 42 appearances in 18/19 and 42 again in 17/18 and the games he did miss were mainly due to concussion.

I think his main injury niggles are behind him.

Hopefully  :fing10:

Chuffed. 30 means nothing these days. Used to to be the watershed for crossing over to old as a footballer. Think that's changed. 32s the new 30!

Hes a quality player. Could actually play wing or 10 for us.

Just what we need.

1 minute ago, Rick Sanchez said:

It was probably Brophy...nobody seen that switch coming though. It'd be funny if St Mirren go down paying him a Shankland like wage 😆

Found that very strange, Killie to the mighty cough, cough, St Liedown? What's that all about? Surely he had more lucrative options like (insert your/any team here) _______________

24 minutes ago, Barack said:

This video featured an absolute bucket load against Hibs.

:pleasing:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Again, "far too injury prone", "always having issues".  He's made well over 100 appearances in his last 3 seasons, I don't think he's exactly falling apart.

It's a matter fact that the lad has been unlucky. We don't have a lot of cash to burn,  really hope he is lucky,  hes a fantastic player when fit. 

Don't think its remiss to look at it this way when we consider the issues we have witnessed the past while 

4 minutes ago, Barack said:

Still can't understand what Brophy thinks it'll do for his development as a player. Really weird (excellent for that lot in honesty) signing.

Yep agree, bizarre. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

agree totally with the sentiment - but suspect he wouldn't have come on loan. and then we'd be watching him perform reasonably well for Cardiff and be disappointed he didn't join us. Hindsight and all that. 

Yeah probably, a few clubs would’ve been interested in a loan. Ironically he’s likely to go on loan now. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Furst there was Vladimir said:

GMS Isn’t injury prone, ffs.

What is wrong with this place?? 

He will be if he joins us. 

18 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Scotland capped winger.... ;)

Bragging about getting a Scotland cap between 2000 - 2020 is like bragging about shagging one of the Rolly Pollys back in the 80s.

10 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Could have been aye. Definitely didn't see that coming if we were definitely in for him. This target man talk from Robbie has made me wonder if it was. 

Sort of hoping we've shifted our focus to Ross Stewart (although he has no caps). At 6'4" he's an absolute lump and since he's picked up a couple of goals in the Prem you'd think he'd do the same in the Championship. He's not out of contract until the end of the season though so we'd need to offer some kind of fee to get him now. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Rick Sanchez
6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Still can't understand what Brophy thinks it'll do for his development as a player. Really weird (excellent for that lot in honesty) signing.

Can only think he's seen Shankland, McGinn, Considine and Porteous getting picked by Steve Clarke and chased the money.

Fair enough but not the type we want any longer.

Just now, Finlay James said:

I agree.  We should be signing guys in their late teens - early 20's who have their development ahead of them and can make us profit going forward.  We already have good experience in Gordon, Naismith, Haring and Smith.

I agree to an extent but if it means the possibility of losing the likes of Frear or one or two others who aren't able or not willing to contribute then i don't really see an issue with GMS. It does make me think that we've maybe lost out on the young lad Robert at Airdrie who's been mentioned a lot recently. However, we could do with losing a few players to cull the amount of hanger's on we have and it would also free up some spaces, even on the bench for one or two youngsters to grab an opportunity if they can. None of the above would be classed as hanger's on and have vast experience but folk like Frear, Roberts, Brandon and a few others could be. Now we need a central defender and a striker and we're good to go. 

Rick Sanchez
6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Can only think he's seen Shankland, McGinn, Considine and Porteous getting picked by Steve Clarke and chased the money.

Fair enough but not the type we want any longer.

The Old Tolbooth

Folk not happy about this signing are utter nutjobs ffs, we have Frear and Roberts, and some of you lot are moaning about signing GMS ffs, oh my days!!! :rofl: :rofl: 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Furst there was Vladimir said:

GMS Isn’t injury prone, ffs.

What is wrong with this place?? 

Look at this ffs 🤬

Has has injuries but also played an average of 35 games a season in 9 years so he’s ok really. 

C082CFDE-58BD-41C9-8F65-F4A226C4E00E.jpeg

adambraejambo
7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

He had a couple of spells out. Head knock and river incident. Aberdeen played well over 100 games in that period. 

2 years in New York really, or 1 and a half at least. 

Fingers crossed all works out

Yes fingers crossed , although if he does get injured I'd still play him on crutches before Roberts or Frear ! 

8 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Oi! We'll have none of that malarkey on Kickback thank you very much! ;)

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, adambraejambo said:

Yes fingers crossed , although if he does get injured I'd still play him on crutches before Roberts or Frear ! 

:lol:

Very true 

Rick Sanchez
1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Could have been aye. Definitely didn't see that coming if we were definitely in for him. 

Sort of hoping we've shifted our focus to Ross Stewart. At 6'4" he's an absolute lump and since he's picked up a couple of goals in the Prem you'd think he'd do the same in the Championship. He's not out of contract until the end of the season though so we'd need to offer some kind of fee to get him now. 

I would take him mate. I was impressed with him when I seen him. I think with Ross County being in a relegation battle it'll be impossible to get him.

Unless Joe Savage can edit one hell of a Craig Wighton compilation and offer some cash and a swap!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Even Hibs' fans on the whole, are quite annoyed they've not signed him.

But they have signed a 6ft 7 goalie. So that's made it better.

:verysmug:

Makalamity???

A_A wehatethehibs

Think people need to stop thinking about Ginelly for next season, for me he is becoming a bit over rated based on only 2-3 games. Will go down as a bit of an Eckersley type, fans like him, but get the feeling he won’t be kept on for the Premiership. 

Craig Gordon, Liam Boyce, Michael Smith, Gary Mackay-Stephen - that’s the 4 pieces of the puzzle for next seasons starting 11. Next stops, extend Irving and Kingsleys deals. Then we need 2 Center mids, 2 Center halves, a winger and a striker. 

Leveins Battalion

Happy to go with signings to get us up this year,we can build a team with younger guys from the next transfer window,i am sure Robbie said that is the important one.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Bragging about getting a Scotland cap between 2000 - 2020 is like bragging about shagging one of the Rolly Pollys back in the 80s.

I was a young, impressionable, inexperienced teenager in those days your honor, honest! 

3 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Folk not happy about this signing are utter nutjobs ffs, we have Frear and Roberts, and some of you lot are moaning about signing GMS ffs, oh my days!!! :rofl: :rofl: 

It's likely down to the disappointment of Messi not being signed on loan and choosing Hibs instead.

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )