January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

15 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

First touch like a shot :laugh2:

He gave away so much possession and free kicks it was unreal. A gift horse to the opposition defence more often than not. 

Spot on!! Refs loved to give fouls against him.

was like playing with a man down most times 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

5 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

It's JKB law that players get better either once they're away or when they're out injured

Very true.

45 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

First half of Dundee game the ball came bouncing back off Wighton every time a pass went near him.  That allowed them to keep the pressure on us with their high press tactic.  

While I am not Wightons biggest fan his performance v Dundee wasnt helped by the "service" he was getting. The constantly inaccurate and terrible balls lobbed up to him time after time especially in the first half were ridiculous, harsh to be blasted for not holding up play when he was 1 v 3 at times and unable to control "passes" that came nowhere near him. 

Borders Jambo
59 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Will JJ have any say?

I would assume savage is the man now.

Pretty sure JJ will have a say in matters which I think is an incredibly positive aspect given both his experience and love for the Club. 

Mr Brightside
1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Gary Naismith is driving for City Plumbing at present (or he was up til the turn of the year.)

Not having a go at an ex pro getting a job after football but surely he made enough down south to retire after playing?

1 minute ago, Mr Brightside said:

Not having a go at an ex pro getting a job after football but surely he made enough down south to retire after playing?

He works next door... a couple of the guys have spoken to him - but yeah, strange one. I'll try to find out more, thought he was a great player for us.

3 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

He’s 42. He might not have enough money to survive 50 years on. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

42 is too young for some to retire.

It may only be partially down to finance.....he might not want to be stuck with nothing to occupy him,

Edited by DH1986

1 hour ago, 1874robbo said:

Some folk seem to be forgetting how bad Uche really was!!

Done bugger all for large parts of games, first touch like a shot, his passing was dreadful and missed a lot of chances also piss in the air for a big lad.

I for one was glad when we got rid.

😂

You forgot his reverse grappling technique so beloved off refs.

Also his 2nd, 3rd,and 4th touches, when he did manage to eventually control a ball.

Just now, DH1986 said:

It may only be partially down to finance.....he might not want to be stuck with nothing to occupy him,

I see Scott Crabbe from time to time also, he drives for Eastern Western Motor Group. Last we spoke he had a role with Hearts watching the youths in some capacity. I think it's more a 'something to pass the time when golf is not an option' kinda thing. As an on-looker, I would definitely say both still had something to offer the game (and probably do in all likelihood.)

Kidd’s Boots
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

I wonder if we'll go in for Ross Stewart from County... Didn't fancy him much because his goalscoring record isn't that great, but seems to tick all the boxes that Robbie was talking about and would surely bag some goals in the Championship... His contract isn't up until the end of the season though so we would need to pay or offer a swap or something. I also wonder if this American Jamieson IV lad will be back on the radar. Apparently we were close to an agreement in the summer but decided to make do with what we had. From what I remember, he's over 6 foot and is absolutely rapid so could be worth looking at again. 

I think either of these until the end of the season will give RN an option, so long as it's a loan basis initially. Better options will be available and within reach for our return to the top flight!

21 minutes ago, Chong said:

While I am not Wightons biggest fan his performance v Dundee wasnt helped by the "service" he was getting. The constantly inaccurate and terrible balls lobbed up to him time after time especially in the first half were ridiculous, harsh to be blasted for not holding up play when he was 1 v 3 at times and unable to control "passes" that came nowhere near him. 

Spot on!

9 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

He works next door... a couple of the guys have spoken to him - but yeah, strange one. I'll try to find out more, thought he was a great player for us.

7 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

11 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

On the open goal podcast Si Ferry asked him

what he was up to, living off the Everton Pension ?

he laughed and said, no it’s the Sheffield United one now

1 hour ago, 1874robbo said:

Done bugger all for large parts of games, first touch like a shot, his passing was dreadful and missed a lot of chances also piss in the air for a big lad.

Absolute murder! Yet some were hailing his 6 touches off his knee, calf, shoulder, hip x 2 and erse before his miles wide volley at Partick in the SC😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

First touch like a shot :laugh2:

He gave away so much possession and free kicks it was unreal. A gift horse to the opposition defence more often than not. 

'Couldn't trap a bag of cement' was another amusing term used in the past...

2 hours ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

The fact he was playing for Luton is irrelevant to be fair. They'd just won promotion to League One and Lee had been a key part of that.  It was widely reported that there were Championship teams down South interested in him too. I would imagine the prospect of regular first team football brought him up here.

Being Rob Lee's son had nothing to do with it. I'm sure it's similar with Robert, I've seen next to no footage of him so hard to say whether he would be a good signing or not. I can't speak for others but I can't imagine there will have been too many people on here who have seen a lot of Airdrie this season.

Exactly, I give you Jordi Cruyff and Paul Dalglish although I seem to remember Dalglish playing for the green Brazil.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Exactly, I give you Jordi Cruyff and Paul Dalglish although I seem to remember Dalglish playing for the green Brazil.

To be fair to Jordi he played for Man Utd & Barca, won the EPL and has 18 international caps, now head coach of Shenzhen FC.
Paul played for Hibs, so you’re rigjg about him obviously 😜

3 hours ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

The fact he was playing for Luton is irrelevant to be fair. They'd just won promotion to League One and Lee had been a key part of that.  It was widely reported that there were Championship teams down South interested in him too. I would imagine the prospect of regular first team football brought him up here.

Being Rob Lee's son had nothing to do with it. I'm sure it's similar with Robert, I've seen next to no footage of him so hard to say whether he would be a good signing or not. I can't speak for others but I can't imagine there will have been too many people on here who have seen a lot of Airdrie this season.

We signed the wrong son. 

18 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

To be fair to Jordi he played for Man Utd & Barca, won the EPL and has 18 international caps, now head coach of Shenzhen FC.
Paul played for Hibs, so you’re rigjg about him obviously 😜

True about Jordi. Maybe just thinking he wasn't a patch on his old man.

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I don’t know what the deal was with Uche. He seemed to like the club but I guess he got the offer of a move to the Championship rather than us punting him - but ironically he fits the exact model of the type of striker we are looking for and would stroll this league.

Shame we didn’t try harder to keep him (if we didn’t) - do we know if we got a fee for him?

The deal with Uche was he was utter mince and soon found out by the fans? his 1st touch was a tackle. One of the worst Hearts strikers I've seen 

Just now, kimosavi said:

The deal with Uche was he was utter mince and soon found out by the fans? his 1st touch was a tackle. One of the worst Hearts strikers I've seen 

Don't think I'd describe him as one of the worst, but possibly the most frustrating. He scored some good goals for us, and some important ones. He was also involved in a lot of big goals too. Thinking assists v Celtic and Hibs for example. And fairly certain he scored against Hibs a couple of times too. 

If he could have used his body better and had like a tiny bit of ball control then he'd have done really well. But his first touch was utterly atrocious!

1 minute ago, OTT said:

Don't think I'd describe him as one of the worst, but possibly the most frustrating. He scored some good goals for us, and some important ones. He was also involved in a lot of big goals too. Thinking assists v Celtic and Hibs for example. And fairly certain he scored against Hibs a couple of times too. 

If he could have used his body better and had like a tiny bit of ball control then he'd have done really well. But his first touch was utterly atrocious!

He's certainly up there. His only attribute Is his size and a lot of the tike that went against him with the referee's up here. I'm delighted he's gone. Met him once came across as a prick 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

True about Jordi. Maybe just thinking he wasn't a patch on his old man.

Yeah, that’s big boots to full. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Michael Smith signs new contract, some good news. 

Hopefully the first of a few bits of good news on the contract front. 

Kingsley and Irving next hopefully. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Hopefully the first of a few bits of good news on the contract front. 

Kingsley and Irving next hopefully. 

Definitely 🤞

5 minutes ago, OTT said:

Uche was the classic example of what ability he had was coached out of him to turn him into the battering ram he became. When he arrived he was far better than when he left, That all comes down to coaching.

2 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

I didn't.

6 minutes ago, David Black said:

Uche was the classic example of what ability he had was coached out of him to turn him into the battering ram he became. When he arrived he was far better than when he left, That all comes down to coaching.

Felt like Uche got caught up in the 'Uche power' chat when he got injured against Motherwell.  He came back significantly heavier but most of it was in his shoulders and he lost, at least, a yard of pace.  He then couldn't run the channel ball and decided that being a WWE wrestler was his only option to succeed.

The leaner Uche was far more mobile and a better player, it's a crime that no one at the club sorted it out.

1 hour ago, bobskeldon said:

Absolute murder! Yet some were hailing his 6 touches off his knee, calf, shoulder, hip x 2 and erse before his miles wide volley at Partick in the SC😂😂😂

Started off great. Then he was coached. 

16 minutes ago, David Black said:

I think he was an unknown quantity when he arrived but had been pretty well sussed by other teams prior to leaving. 

1 hour ago, Mr Brightside said:

Maybe he doesn’t want to retire??

He is still a relatively young man. 

9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think he was an unknown quantity when he arrived but had been pretty well sussed by other teams prior to leaving. 

Yes opposition stuck 2 guys on him but others couldn't utilise the space he gave them. Shame. 

24 minutes ago, David Black said:

Yeah, I'd go along with that. Seem to remember that he scored quite a few in the pre-season friendlies, when he first arrived. Thought he was going be more prolific than what turned out. I felt a bit sorry for him TBH. He didn't get any protection from referees and I got the feeling that he loved playing for us also (I know that doesn't guarantee you're any good)... but I don't think he was a bad as some make out on here. But he did seem to be better when he arrived as opposed to when he left.

17 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Any takers? Will take a super salesman. 

Three done already this month. Will be announced imminently. 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

We signed the wrong son. 

I'm sure there was chat around the time we signed Olly that we were interested in Elliot as well, but I think he was still under contract so we would've needed to pay Luton a fee for him. Not sure if he is still a regular starter down there or not, or even if he is still there.

14 minutes ago, washniklaw said:

Felt like Uche got caught up in the 'Uche power' chat when he got injured against Motherwell.  He came back significantly heavier but most of it was in his shoulders and he lost, at least, a yard of pace.  He then couldn't run the channel ball and decided that being a WWE wrestler was his only option to succeed.

The leaner Uche was far more mobile and a better player, it's a crime that no one at the club sorted it out.

Uche went downhill the moment Kyle Lafferty left and we started to rely on him as an out and out striker. He was best playing as a support striker or dare I say it a "winger" up front on the right where he could pick the ball up out wide, cut inside and beat a man, then get the ball into the box or have a crack at goal. He was no good at playing through the middle and being the one in the box attacking the ball or having it hoofed up to him. 

Incidentally he scored a stoater for Wycombe at the weekend doing just that. Picked up the ball out on the right wing near the corner, cut inside and beat his man then wrapped his left foot round it and curved it into the far corner.

13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Agree with that, though I also think he could of done a job for us in this league. Definitely not a long term option though and given how many we need to move on there was probably no point procrastinating.

1 minute ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

I'm sure there was chat around the time we signed Olly that we were interested in Elliot as well, but I think he was still under contract so we would've needed to pay Luton a fee for him. Not sure if he is still a regular starter down there or not, or even if he is still there.

Always in the match squad, not always a starter. Higher level than we are at though . 

jamboinglasgow
15 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

are the extended loans or all new ones

24 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Would be a great day if we announced Smith signing a new deal + 3 new signings all at once. 

27 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Yes opposition stuck 2 guys on him but others couldn't utilise the space he gave them. Shame. 

Mainly because Uche hardly ever passed the ball preferring to take shots on goal from ridiculous angles that he would never score from.

BackOfTheNet

I see there’s talk of two signings on the radar (or wanted in) according to EEN. Anyone got any ideas or names? This place is unusually quiet for actual names being given during a transfer window.

Gorgie Boot boy

Uche had issues with his back for long periods, forgive him for being a lump of dug shite on the grass at times. For the Uche Step over and scored a cracker from laying on the ground v the vermin amongst other moments of joy.

Making his come back for Wycombe , excited to be back fit and able to play.

Step over is around 3:29

Gorgie Boot boy

Uche had issues with his back for long periods, forgive him for being a lump of dug shite on the grass at times. For the Uche Step over and scored a cracker from laying on the ground v the vermin amongst other moments of joy.

42 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

He was sussed because he was only asked to play one way and that of a battering ram CF. It made life easy for opposition defenders. When Youtube videos of Uche were posted on here and when he first arrived, all his work was done out wide. That all changed due to the tactics we used and he suffered accordingly.

Leveins Battalion
4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I see there’s talk of two signings on the radar (or wanted in) according to EEN. Anyone got any ideas or names? This place is unusually quiet for actual names being given during a transfer window.

An American Striker who has been capped for Scotland has been mentioned,also Brophy who signed for St Midden and McMullan who just signed for Dundee,:gok:

Hungry hippo
12 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Would be a great day if we announced Smith signing a new deal + 3 new signings all at once. 

I don't think he meant 3 new signings although would be delighted to be corrected.

Edited by Hungry hippo

11 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Christ, Perreira was shit

Ex member of the SaS

Ok January is bad for getting decent players add to this the present situation with travel restrictions etc. However we have known for a long time we need new better players so why do we always wait until the window is closing to get them in?

Surely Robbie has had an eye on players and must know how many of those are within our budget, so why does it take our negotiating team so long to get the papers signed?

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )