January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Yeah not going to get any arguements from me on that, I was calling for Stendel before the Hampden semifinal against Rangers.

I was delighted when we got him and thought that kind of dynamic pressing football was the way forwards.

I am sick to the back teeth of safety first, hard to beat, uninspiring stuff and that needs a change from the too.

How we got money for him is one great mystery, though we clearly replaced him with Roberts who is even less effective.

Agree Olly Lee isn't the main problem but systematic of the type of players we recruit, with legs around him.and more dynamic players he could be great but he gets bogged down with the rest of the dirge in midfield because we go for "neat and tidy" rather than "risk and reward" type players 

All good points 👍🏽

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Gorgie Boot boy
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Nah mate just someone who asks repeatedly about how much things cost threw his name in as a possible signing 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🤪?!?!

I was being sarcastic mate.

16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Defensive midfielder, he was played in pre season at CH and was an unmitigated disaster as we said he would be. 

Nice one.

Aye I remember the argument with someone saying 5'8" was a perfectly acceptable height for a CH in Scotland 😂

Gorgie Boot boy
7 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Nice one.

Aye I remember the argument with someone saying 5'8" was a perfectly acceptable height for a CH in Scotland 😂

Crissy is 5.'7" at most

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Nice one.

But but Cannavaro,,Baresi etc etc 🙈

Gorgie Boot boy

Got me there 🙈👍🏽

Sorry mate, wasn't on you.

9 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Crissy is 5.'7" at most

Aye I knew he was about that, that was my point - I was saying he's far too small to be a centre back in Scotland. Obviously Robbie thinks the same.

Someone was trying to tell me that he didn't need to be tall to be a centre back because "look at Fabio Cannovarro" lol. 

Edited by Batistuta87

heartsfc_fan
2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Aye I knew he was about that, that was my point - I was saying he's far too small to be a centre back in Scotland. Obviously Robbie thinks the same.

Someone was trying to tell me that he didn't need to be tall to be a centre back because "look at Fabio Cannovarro" lol. 

Shift Haring to centre half and Hamilton in front. Just an idea.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I was informed Robbie would give him a chance this season in this league 😆😂
I could see it if he was strong but he’s not. Hopefully he can adapt to the change of position and fill out a bit too. 

Gorgie Boot boy
3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah i understood that. Was just pointing out that he is even smaller than the height posted. If i was to play Chrissy , he would be in Smiths position. Play Smith and Haring as center backs

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Shift Haring to centre half and Hamilton in front. Just an idea.

Do we know if he was any good in the position at Dumbarton? He got sent off early doors, if they’ve sent him back after two months that’s not a good sign unfortunately. 

I was informed Robbie would give him a chance this season in this league 😆😂
I could see it if he was strong but he’s not. Hopefully he can adapt to the change of position and fill out a bit too. 

I'm all for him getting a chance - I'm totally open to young players getting a game if they're good enough. 

Funny you should say that - Lewis Moore posted a video of Hamilton on Instagram today and he was on the weights in the gym 🙃

1 minute ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Yeah i understood that. Was just pointing out that he is even smaller than the height posted. If i was to play Chrissy , he would be in Smiths position. Play Smith and Haring as center backs

Nice one ✌️ - agree, watched him quite a few times for the Reserves (last season obviously) and not once was he playing centre back lol. The move to full back is normally quite a natural one for young lads who don't quite grow big enough to be a centre back but I think he has a bit of ability on the ball which is maybe why we're looking at moving him into midfield. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I'm all for him getting a chance - I'm totally open to young players getting a game if they're good enough. 

Funny you should say that - Lewis Moore posted a video of Hamilton on Instagram today and he was on the weights in the gym 🙃

Nice one ✌️ - agree, watched him quite a few times for the Reserves (last season obviously) and not once was he playing centre back lol. The move to full back is normally quite a natural one for young lads who don't quite grow big enough to be a centre back but I think he has a bit of ability on the ball which is maybe why we're looking at moving him into midfield. 

Good stuff. 

Gorgie Boot boy
14 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

He will struggle to get into our midfield, he does have genuine ability. The loan move is for his best interests, obviously to give the lad a chance to play games week in week out. Never a CH though. Whoever thinks he is , total barking mad that one.

8 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

He will struggle to get into our midfield, he does have genuine ability. The loan move is for his best interests, obviously to give the lad a chance to play games week in week out. Never a CH though. Whoever thinks he is , total barking mad that one.

If he will struggle to get into our midfield then he can’t be very good as our midfield is absolute pish. 

Gorgie Boot boy
5 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

If he will struggle to get into our midfield then he can’t be very good as our midfield is absolute pish. 

Never said he was, the midfield part was someone else. I thought i made it clear he would struggle. The key word was Struggle funnily enough.

JJ and Joe Savage in place (separate roles obviously) Robbie has the staff he wants and the woman's team,  academy, age group's have thier numbers of staff complete.  What is John Murray doing now? And why is he the only one who has been involved in recruitment failures for years and still employed?

4 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

JJ and Joe Savage in place (separate roles obviously) Robbie has the staff he wants and the woman's team,  academy, age group's have thier numbers of staff complete.  What is John Murray doing now? And why is he the only one who has been involved in recruitment failures for years and still employed?

Any more info on transfers ?

Gorgie Boot boy
3 minutes ago, pointon said:

Any more info on transfers ?

How is he meant to know, asking questions on Murray says it all.

5 hours ago, John Rambo said:

With our structure, funding model ( such as it is right now ) and disparity between us and the ugly sisters we really need to do things differently.

We should be taking a leaf out of Brentford's book and looking at how we can replicate this within our parameters. Their owner, Matthew Benham, trusts the 'moneyball' approach and they sign players based on all manner of statistics, matrices and algorithms; they don't necessarily trust a scout who's seen a player play a few games.

They repeatedly get lower league gems and sell on for a huge profit; Ollie Watkins from Exeter for £1.5m to Aston Villa for £28m and Ezri Konsa, bought for £2.5m, sold 13 months later for over £12m. This isn't down to just one manager, it is the entire ethos of the Club and is part of the fabric of how they operate.

Brentford also operate a 'B' team to great effect which assists their model for progressing as a Club and creating great players.

I'd be looking at how we could adopt what Brentford do on our budget and start spending money on technology and improving the scouting/recruitment network to see the value in players that others might not. Let's start looking at some long term value players, not these stop-gap or project players. I mean GMS is 30 years old, why would we want to sign him? To help get out of the division? To help stabilise us in the top flight? To help take us into Europe?

If we want to be in European competition within 2 to 3 years, we need to plan for that now. We probably have been planning for this but the 'Football' department doesn't seem to know its elbow from its erchie!

I'd also be asking why teams such as Dundalk and F91 Dudelange can make the Europa League group stage and teams outwith the ugly sisters can't. These clubs have smaller budgets compared to us and the sheep yet they seem to make it. Indeed Dundalk beat Faroese team KI Klaksvík in the Europa play off round; you could fit the population of Klaksvik into the Wheatfield. This was a case of the underdog v the under underdog!

So how do these tiny wee teams with small budgets make it so far in Europe? Maybe we should be asking them?

We need a radical rethink of what we want to achieve as a Club. All this cr*p about, 'we budget for 4th in the League' and suchlike is garbage. Talk about a self fulling prophecy. We should have the stated aim of winning the Premier League EACH AND EVERY SEASON. Why come out with, 'ohh we'll be happy with 3rd, 4th whatever'. Why? This mindset has to stop. It has to stop now. If we have this as the aim, to be happy with 4th, then all we will get is players who buy into this mindset and 'settle' for it. Why?

Sure we may not actually win the league every season, we may not win the top flight in the next 10, 20, 30 years but that does not mean we have to 'settle' for not trying to achieve this. If the ugly sisters' budget is 7, 8 perhaps 10 times ours, then our pennies have to work 10 times as hard. We need to do things differently, radically different if required but we need to shake the Club to its Foundations; no pun intended.

Until we have a complete change of culture, of ethos at the very, very top of the Club, I fear we are destined to repeat the same failures as before; and what did Einstein say was the definition of insanity?

OK rant over, clearly too much time on my hands right now!

And far too many exclamation marks used!

Incidently it's Neil McFarlane that's Brentford's B team manager. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Do we know if he was any good in the position at Dumbarton? He got sent off early doors, if they’ve sent him back after two months that’s not a good sign unfortunately. 

Loan was only until 3 Jan. Same  as Smith and Cochrane. 

16 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Incidently it's Neil McFarlane that's Brentford's B team manager. 

Which one ? The one who played for us or the 'other' Neil McFarlane who seemed to be having a right good time in Porto [Braga] a few years ago ?

You probably had to be there

33 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

How is he meant to know, asking questions on Murray says it all.

He has been right in the past though 🤔

Gorgie Boot boy
24 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

He has been right in the past though 🤔

About what though, all i see is someone typing things most of us should know already,

indianajones

Whats this, the tenth transfer window in a row  we have been trying to shift dead weight??

The recruitment department (Murray, Levein, whoever else) has been nothing short of criminal since we saved the club. A total farce. 

3 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

About what though, all i see is someone typing things most of us should know already,

Eh about signings in the past few years. 

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

The boys never making it here in a month of Sundays. Only one that's even close is Irving and he's not even fully established. Another batch of youngsters developed for League 1 and 2 teams. You can see why lower league clubs don't need youth academies when they have us. 🤷 :lol:

jamboinglasgow

oh goody, a transfer thread about to be derailed by the same posters having the same arguments with the same posters that they have every transfer thread. 

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Eh about signings in the past few years. 

Eh, what ones exactly.

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Loan was only until 3 Jan. Same  as Smith and Cochrane. 

Would they not have asked to keep him if he was doing well? 

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nah mate just someone who asks repeatedly about how much things cost threw his name in as a possible signing 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🤪?!?!

I have no doubt you are trying to belittle me and you might have had a point if I hadn't qualified my post by saying

IF HE DESPERATELY WANTS TO COME BACK UP THE ROAD!

Is that correct or not? 

We had no chance of getting Berra but we got him.

We had no chance of getting Naismith but we got him too.

If Snodgrass had issues back home he MIGHT have signed too.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
8 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Contracts that are up at the end of the season:

Olly Lee - release - as good as his passing and delivery can be, I would let him go. Replace with young Kyle Turner from Dunfermline, or Aaron Tshibola from Kilmarnock. Harry Paton (Ross County) as one for the future.

Andy Irving - keep - although I think he would benefit tremendously from a season abroad if that was in any way possible. The long term benefits would outweigh his short term absence.  

Stephen Kingsley - keep - great find, exactly the kind of player we want. Add Tanser or Waters as backup.

Josh Ginnelly - keep, but we need to sign probably 2 more wingers so we have enough to cover for injuries etc. Would love to sign Sherwin Seedorf from Motherwell but McLennan from Aberdeen would be a good signing too. Would also take one of McMullan/Dundee Utd, Durmus/St Mirren or Greg Kiltie/Kilmarnock for backup/depth.  

Ross Stewart - keep - he seems happy at Hearts: Gordon, Stewart and Stone is a good goalkeeping team. 

Aidy White - release - can't fault hit effort but he's just not quite there. 

Elliott Frear - release - pish. Would let him leave now if he wanted to.

Bobby Zlamal - release - great character, but it's quite clear that he's not in Robbie's plans

Christope Berra - release - the big man's time is up. Replace with Declan Gallagher from Motherwell or Stuart Findlay from Kilmarnock. Lewis Mayo from Rangers as one for the future if he doesn't extend his stay there. 

Michael Smith - keep - Mr Consistency. If he's up for another year I'd extend him. If not, Stephen O'Donnell is an obvious and suitable replacement for me.

Craig Wighton - release - the Championship is obviously his level, even struggles there at times. Love him for that goal v Hibs though.

Hopefully Damour is away this window. Would listen to offers for Walker, Roberts and Popescu (contracts still have time to run but don't feel like they bring much to the table).

We also need to sign a striker. Nobody in Scotland really takes my fancy other than Brophy, but if he's joining St Mirren we'll need to look elsewhere. I'm sure Robbie and the new DoF will have some irons in the fire. 

There are some decent suggestions in here but some of the shouts are absolutely wild.

Tanser?  Durmus?  Waters?

Also what have you seen from Seedorf that makes you want him so badly? I don't think I've seen him have a good game for Motherwell, even against us he didn't look very good.

McLennan, O'Donnell and Findlay are all players I would take though.

If this is the standard of player available from the Premiership in the summer then I hope we've got a bigger net.

Gorgie Boot boy
19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Would they not have asked to keep him if he was doing well? 

Unless one is stated in the original, They negotiate a new loan deal,

Gorgie Boot boy
16 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I have no doubt you are trying to belittle me and you might have had a point if I hadn't qualified my post by saying

Is that correct or not? 

Give it up mate, might isn't the same as did.

Gorgie Boot boy

Joe Savage has asked for all information on players to be on the table, he is looking at the squad. Loans manager is still part of someones job description. I may be wrong here but i am sure the women in Ann's circle were doing that recently along with JJ.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Is that correct or not? 

Firstly he’s a weegie Celtic ***** and has been desperate to sign for them for years. 
Secondly Berra wanted to come home, he was signing for us no matter what. 
Naismith was on loan for 18 months whilst still being paid his full salary of £50k a week, we had to push the boat out to give him £5k a week. We then had to give him a 4 year contract to sign him after he got every last penny from Norwich which meant he missed the ore season. I like him but he’s not been great value for money and he’s got another 30 months to go. 
Snodgrass is on between £60-80k a week, we couldn’t afford a fraction of that and it was a completely ridiculous thing to imagine he would come to the Championship to play for us at this time, desperate or not which he clearly isn’t. 
Neilson has said he wants pace in wide areas, anyone who knows Snodgrass would tell you he’s deathly slow. 
It would appear GMS and Brophy were the Scottish internationals we were interested in. 

Give it up mate, might isn't the same as did.

If he didn't have issues mate MIGHT probably doesn't even arise.  I fully recognised that at the time.

Naismith MIGHT have come back.  Oh. he did.

Same with Berra

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Firstly he’s a weegie Celtic ***** and has been desperate to sign for them for years. 
Naismith was on loan for 18 months whilst still being paid his full salary of £50k a week, we had to push the boat out to give him £5k a week. We then had to give him a 4 year contract to sign him after he got every last penny from Norwich which meant he missed the ore season. I like him but he’s not been great value for money and he’s got another 30 months to go. 
Snodgrass is on between £60-80k a week, we couldn’t afford a fraction of that and it was a completely ridiculous thing to imagine he would come to the Championship to play for us at this time, desperate or not which he clearly isn’t. 
Neilson has said he wants pace in wide areas, anyone who knows Snodgrass would tell you he’s deathly slow. 
It would appear GMS and Brophy were the Scottish internationals we were interested in. 

I have read your posts mate.

Spot on.

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

oh goody, a transfer thread about to be derailed by the same posters having the same arguments with the same posters that they have every transfer thread. 

Fair point, I will **** off now 👍🏽👋🏿

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Naismith was on loan for 18 months whilst still being paid his full salary of £50k a week, We then had to give him a 4 year contract to sign him after he got every last penny from Norwich which meant he missed the ore season. I like him but he’s not been great value for money and he’s got another 30 months to go. 

So you acknowledge these unlikely transfers can happen if there are reasons to come back up the road.

Thanks.

Edited by JamboAl

Gorgie Boot boy
7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

If he didn't have issues mate MIGHT probably doesn't even arise.  I fully recognised that at the time.

Naismith MIGHT have come back.  Oh. he did.

Same with Berra

Was the Snodgrass part you used the word MIGHT, he didn't. He has the same feeling as the other lads playing outside Scotland. They would come up in a heart beat , if there was a genuine non Old firm challenge. All will be revealed when certain restrictions are lifted and the right money invested into the FoH. Not everyone is desperate to be part of the Old shame brigade.

May as well add this.

Once the hand over takes place , the intention is that withIn the next 2-5 years, the FoH will be 10 times more the value of Hearts Fc. Taking power over all..

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

Was the Snodgrass part you used the word MIGHT, he didn't. He has the same feeling as the other lads playing outside Scotland. They would come up in a heart beat , if there was a genuine non Old firm challenge. All will be revealed when certain restrictions are lifted and the right money invested into the FoH. Not everyone is desperate to be part of the Old shame brigade.

Like Berra and Naismith!

Gorgie Boot boy
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Like Berra and Naismith!

The future is bright,in Maroon and white

15 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Joe Savage has asked for all information on players to be on the table, he is looking at the squad. Loans manager is still part of someones job description. I may be wrong here but i am sure the women in Ann's circle were doing that recently along with JJ.

Joe Savage should be doing the loans now. If you’re correct and it was the women in Ann’s circle then holy **** 

The future is bright,in Maroon and white

Is that the best reply you can come up with.  Well done.

Gorgie Boot boy
Just now, JamboAl said:

Is that the best reply you can come up with.  Well done.

Not really, the difference is that i can assure you that once the hand over takes place. A £20M investment will happen, it will be given to the FoH.

You can wallow in whatever shite you like, drown in it in fact.

HHGH

Not really, the difference is that i can assure you that once the hand over takes place. A £20M investment will happen, it will be given to the FoH.

You can wallow in whatever shite you like, drown in it in fact.

HHGH

You're all over the place my friend.  If that had happened earlier we might have been able to afford Snodgrass even without issues.

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )