January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Those trying to make themselves feel better, we were in for brophy, and that's all I'll say on the matter. 

Spot on daza 👍

GMS won't be signing for us. 

Brophy is a replacement for obika as it's looking likely he won't sign new deal. 

I'd imagine Robbie will have other targets. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

31 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Of course. My point is that Robbie will be looking to distance himself as much as possible from that disastrous season and to change as much as the budget will allow him to change. 

Doesn't really matter anyway because he hasn't been fit since he left Hearts, and the Belgian he was at side sent him back because he hasn't managed a single appearance. If that had been us stuck with him on loan all this time, I'd have been fuming. There's no way I'd sign him based on a good game and three quarters when his fitness since then has been so bad. 

All the chat is from the Stendel fans who don't seem to have realised he's left

They fail to mention his other great signings such as Avdijaj or Langer and Sibbick frankly has been a failure wherever he has gone in terms of injury never mind doing enough to show he has talent

Time to move on and that goes for Levein as well

1 hour ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

£3 sounds about right for a player like Callachan.

I'm not sure what your memories of him are but he was certainly not quick. Olly Lee is basically a better version of what you think Callachan is. It would be interesting to see how their goal and assist stats compare too.

My memory of Callachan was he was a hard working box to box midfielder who offered a goal threat .

No recollection of any similarity to Lee !

To be honest , if it was a choice between the two , I would take Callachan .

Don't think we are , in any way , interested .

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah I agree about the 100%, it’s a basic thing but we’ve so many recently that don’t. 
I think the four we have all have quality but are slow and don’t get about the pitch, Haring has an excuse. I think Halliday was a mistake as he’s so similar, although Gomis/Pallardo/Bauben were too really. Callachan can go box to box but there are hopefully better options. 
We need a better mix next season, cheap options who know the league alongside some quality. 

I don’t see why you wouldn’t have Lee on set pieces, he has a brilliant delivery which is why we try to get him free into that spot on the right where he can produce. 

I was never convinced by the Halliday signing and am still fairly unconvinced now. I can imagine he is on decent money but for me is not a first pick.

Gomis, Buaben and Pallardo weren't quick but there was loads of pace in that team which made it work. Nicholson, Walker, King, Paterson etc. The balance we had was pretty much perfect. Neilson had a blank slate to work with though and it's different this time.

I don't think we need to go down the road of "players who know the league" as you limit what you can do in that market. The list of central midfielders in the Premiership out of contract this summer isn't a very exciting one. We just need players with quality regardless of where they are from.

Leveins Battalion

If Brophy chose St Mirren over Hearts he needs his head checked.🤣🤣🤣

fwiw heard we are not in for GMS.

15 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

All the chat is from the Stendel fans who don't seem to have realised he's left

They fail to mention his other great signings such as Avdijaj or Langer and Sibbick frankly has been a failure wherever he has gone in terms of injury never mind doing enough to show he has talent

Time to move on and that goes for Levein as well

Spot on mate. 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
4 minutes ago, john thomas said:

My memory of Callachan was he was a hard working box to box midfielder who offered a goal threat .

No recollection of any similarity to Lee !

To be honest , if it was a choice between the two , I would take Callachan .

Don't think we are , in any way , interested .

I think in an ideal world Lee would be that midfielder for us but he's not got the legs for it. He is most certainly a goal threat though and his assist stats speak for themselves.

Callachan was the prime example of a guy bursting a gut for his boyhood club but just didn't have the required ability. Much like all of us. Nothing against the guy like I said before but he just wasn't good enough and still isn't now.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

I was never convinced by the Halliday signing and am still fairly unconvinced now. I can imagine he is on decent money but for me is not a first pick.

Gomis, Buaben and Pallardo weren't quick but there was loads of pace in that team which made it work. Nicholson, Walker, King, Paterson etc. The balance we had was pretty much perfect. Neilson had a blank slate to work with though and it's different this time.

I don't think we need to go down the road of "players who know the league" as you limit what you can do in that market. The list of central midfielders in the Premiership out of contract this summer isn't a very exciting one. We just need players with quality regardless of where they are from.

With Brexit restrictions coming into play we will be looking at a much smaller pool of players, there’s a few down south that might have to head back up the road.

The SFA will obviously do what the uglies want but they don’t have much scope to do it any differently than the EPL. 
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20201223-how-will-brexit-rules-affect-the-premier-league

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

With Brexit restrictions coming into play we will be looking at a much smaller pool of players, there’s a few down south that might have to head back up the road.

The SFA will obviously do what the uglies want but they don’t have much scope to do it any differently than the EPL. 
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20201223-how-will-brexit-rules-affect-the-premier-league

Yep, I think down south will be our best bet. Decent players will be available because of the recent wage caps. Luckily our new Sporting Director should know the market well enough to make the most of it

11 minutes ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

I think in an ideal world Lee would be that midfielder for us but he's not got the legs for it. He is most certainly a goal threat though and his assist stats speak for themselves.

Callachan was the prime example of a guy bursting a gut for his boyhood club but just didn't have the required ability. Much like all of us. Nothing against the guy like I said before but he just wasn't good enough and still isn't now.

Point being you were comparing them as similar players ! Which did seem strange

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Smith&Weston said:

Jordan Jones available on loan.  That’s a player who would instantly improve our team.

100% - would be a very good signing.. will probably end up at the sheep

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

Yep, I think down south will be our best bet. Decent players will be available because of the recent wage caps. Luckily our new Sporting Director should know the market well enough to make the most of it

It might well have been part of the reason we went for someone with that knowledge. 

Hungry hippo
7 minutes ago, RickDeckard said:

Gavin Reilly's signed for Livi.

Will be interested to see how he gets on as he has technical ability. His biggest problem seems to be a lack of self belief.

3 hours ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

£3 sounds about right for a player like Callachan.

I'm not sure what your memories of him are but he was certainly not quick. Olly Lee is basically a better version of what you think Callachan is. It would be interesting to see how their goal and assist stats compare too.

That's an issue with how Neilson is setting us up away from home. Signing Callachan wouldn't change that. FWIW I like Neilson but he does need to change things on the road.

😂

The over reaction gets me every time.

Bottom 3 😂 based on what exactly? Who do you consider to be the (only) 2 Premiership clubs to have worse squads than us?

Your post is exactly what I mean about the over reaction from Saturday. We'll win the league comfortably and the defeats at Dunfermline and Dundee will be blips along the way. Players we are interested in will want assurances of top flight football so we'll see the quality improve in the summer. Realistically we won't need to make any signings to win the league but there is obvious improvement required in certain areas.

Based in the fact that we were the worst team in the league last year and the signings we have made have not made us any better. Or do you think that we have miraculously got better? 

57 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

All about the money. 

Lone Striker
9 minutes ago, RickDeckard said:

Gavin Reilly's signed for Livi.

What's the betting the lad becomes a regular scorer now ?   Livi's coaching and playing style  seems to produce astonishing results a lot of the time - on a shoestring budget too.  🙄

59 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Maybe they offered more money, guaranteed Premier league football, longer deal!!! There are many many reasons why someone would reject one club to join another. 

29 minutes ago, Smith&Weston said:

Jordan Jones available on loan.  That’s a player who would instantly improve our team.

Spot on. He has pace can take on players  is direct and  can score. 
We won’t be in for him doesn’t suit the way we play. We will persevere with Frear and Roberts. 

19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It might well have been part of the reason we went for someone with that knowledge. 

I think so. Scotland is like a goldfish bowl with the same players swimming around all the time. Jones, Brophy, GMS, Cadden. Just such narrow options for even half decent players up here. England is enormous in comparison to us. Getting a guy in who knows different leagues has to be beneficial. 

Lone Striker
1 minute ago, Billy Hoyle said:

Maybe they offered more money, guaranteed Premier league football, longer deal!!! There are many many reasons why someone would reject one club to join another. 

How are St. Midden guaranteed Premier League football beyond April ?   

Kai Kennedy allegedly going on loan to Raith now. Has impressed at Caley this season, signing new deal with Gers.

tricky and quick, thought he’d have been a good signing on a loan for us. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6494462/rangers-kai-kennedy-new-deal-raith-loan/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1609866541

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think so. Scotland is like a goldfish bowl with the same players swimming around all the time. Jones, Brophy, GMS, Cadden. Just such narrow options for even half decent players up here. England is enormous in comparison to us. Getting a guy in who knows different leagues has to be beneficial. 

Yeah if it’s the only other leagues we will be signing players from, unless they’re internationals like Oshiniwa 😱🙈?!?!

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

SSN says we are?

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah if it’s the only other leagues we will be signing players from, unless they’re internationals like Oshiniwa 😱🙈?!?!

😮 Dinnae. I thought he was going to be brilliant as well ☹️

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Or non-internationals like Callahan

We are normally slow at picking players up. Really not expecting much as new man has not had time to settle in. Will take a couple of seasons to sort or transfer problems. Something that has been handled very poorly last four season!

48 minutes ago, Swimmer said:

image.png.9c799bc3a6447e51c5755d26eb328425.png

Not sure Ross Stewart is our answer.... 

If one or two of those goals was against Celtic then that will probably buy him a place on the top of some people's lists for a window or three...

Rick Sanchez

I'm sure Savage starts tomorrow...hoping he has the scarf above head pics along with a 2006 style announcing of five players. 

Same or more out the door aswell please!

We can dream 😔

Just now, Rick Sanchez said:

I'm sure Savage starts tomorrow...hoping he has the scarf above head pics along with a 2006 style announcing of five players. 

We can dream 😔

He was due to start on the 4th. 

The Apprentice

I have to admit I’m not getting the arguments re the Callachan vs current midfield options debate, especially the ‘pace’ and getting around the pitch argument.

For me, our problem in midfield isn’t the pace of the players, it’s the speed of thought (and it’s been like this for some time now). You don’t need to be able to shift to dominate a game in the centre of the park, you make the ball do the work. So many times I see the likes of Lee play an easy pass to where they are facing. What we need are players who can take the ball on the half turn, open play up and anticipate second balls. 

The genuine pace has to be in the wide areas and/or up top so we can stretch and get in behind teams. 

I think the general malaise of the team over the past few years makes people think we need quick players all over the park.

Rick Sanchez
5 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

He was due to start on the 4th. 

Right enough mate 👍

No time for pics...too much work to do!

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

We can dream 😔

Useless ***** started yesterday, two working days without a signing? Mad Savage oot 🤬

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

I have to admit I’m not getting the arguments re the Callachan vs current midfield options debate, especially the ‘pace’ and getting around the pitch argument.

For me, our problem in midfield isn’t the pace of the players, it’s the speed of thought (and it’s been like this for some time now). You don’t need to be able to shift to dominate a game in the centre of the park, you make the ball do the work. So many times I see the likes of Lee play an easy pass to where they are facing. What we need are players who can take the ball on the half turn, open play up and anticipate second balls. 

The genuine pace has to be in the wide areas and/or up top so we can stretch and get in behind teams. 

I think the general malaise of the team over the past few years makes people think we need quick players all over the park.

Yes but if tall of them are slow and the forwards have no movement and are slow then we could do with a bit more pace in midfield. 

Pasquale for King
47 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

😮 Dinnae. I thought he was going to be brilliant as well ☹️

GMS would’ve been good, better than Frear and Roberts for sure 🤣😂😆

Rick Sanchez
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Useless ***** started yesterday, two working days without a signing? Mad Savage oot 🤬

How ****ing long does it take 😡

Pasquale for King
Just now, Rick Sanchez said:

How ****ing long does it take 😡

Unbelievable, I’m sure someone will be asking shortly to tell us it’s indicative of how the club is run. Soft as shite. 

4 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

need to keep him away from water of leith and the canal 

GMS to be first signing for the new Hearts Water Polo team?

kingantti1874

Just read an article on how Sam Nicholson is absolutely tearing it up for Bristol Rovers.. they expect to be selling him to a bigger club soon for a chunky profit.. 

remember some said they wouldn’t take him back 🙄 that aside - this is what pisses me off about hearts.. he would have come back but wage was a little high.. instead we signed Frear and Roberts..

it always seems to be quantity over quality.. 

GMS was spoken too and that’s about as far as it has went so far already was set for aberdeen it seems , jordan Jones suits the type of signing we are looking for I’m sure Boyce and smith will have a word but that’s one for the unlikely category unless there’s been a change since last week. Still hopeful to have one complete by next monday or the deal to be close enough where we will know about the signing👍🏻Also expect a few loans out like Moore and damour soon 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )