January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

Dundee United have submitted a bid for Airdrieonians forward Thomas Robert in a bid to steal a march on Rangers and Celtic, Football Insider understands.

The 20-year-old Frenchman has been earning rave reviews for his stand-out performances for the Scottish League One side and his displays have brought him to the attention of a number of clubs in Scotland, including the two Glasgow giants, as well as in England.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

2 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Dundee United have submitted a bid for Airdrieonians forward Thomas Robert in a bid to steal a march on Rangers and Celtic, Football Insider understands.

The 20-year-old Frenchman has been earning rave reviews for his stand-out performances for the Scottish League One side and his displays have brought him to the attention of a number of clubs in Scotland, including the two Glasgow giants, as well as in England.

Interesting. I wonder if we were actually in for him or just a passing interest. 

Holyrood_Hearts
43 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Think you are totally wrong there . He had shitloads of pace , two footed and skilful . Made us some money too !

Problem appeared to be getting him to show the above talents consistently

He was fast I give you that. Not sure about being two footed or skilful. 2 goals & 10 assists in 52 appearances isn’t great though 

39 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Thought they were Bernie Flint. Feckin chancers

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Jamhammer said:

Thought they were Bernie Flint. Feckin chancers

Been a fair bit of shite spoken in 20, doubt 21 will be any different 

2 hours ago, Baxfee said:

The problem with this season is we are judging players through a camera and that’s really limited. You can’t see who is chasing back, covering, making good runs etc. I admit frear and Roberts don’t look anything special but wondering if we’re missing things that the bench are seeing. I know we need to bolster the squad with some real quality - just not sure where based on above 

Yes correct!! We are seeing things the bench aren’t, we are seeing frear and Roberts are shite and the bench are no.

5 hours ago, Hashimoto said:

It's difficult to gauge who the fringe players are just now! With no reserve, U21, U17 games being played just now it's hard to see who we could actively move on, or where they would be a better fit!
The guys out on loan are effectively playing at a level where they should be stand outs week after week....However, that doesn't seem to be the case!.....Combinations of things behind that probably, lack of application and dedication.  
Players that are potentially available to us are most likely not playing any real competitive football just now. If the plan is to use them for the Premiership next season doesn't it make sense to get them in just now, get them match fit, and prepared for next August with a full pre season training camp behind them?
Too often we have seen us signing players on the last days of the summer window then finding it taking an age to get them up to match fitness 

Yes, good point.

For me, Robbie will know what he needs. I guess year after year of loading up with journeyman and having a bloated squad, while suffering financially due to covid says unless there is some unbelievable signing available, we jettison players Robbie sees no hearts future this window and next and don't add unless its a massive upgrade and a 3rd place premiership fi is type of player.

All armchair management advice for Robbie here, free of charge 😁

Hungry hippo
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

If they pay a fee it won't help the Premiership teams' claims for government grants as opposed to loans.

5 hours ago, Gav M said:

currently playing for Cork City in Ireland and has scored 0 goals in 5 games, looking at his previous stats, it doesn't look like he scores goals!

Might not score but if he's good in the air then a big lump of a target man could be very useful.

25 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Might not score but if he's good in the air then a big lump of a target man could be very useful.

No chance whatsoever of signing this guy, he is another Sammon.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
26 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Surely can't rate the other two higher. 

Considering Neilson signed the other two and plays them a lot more than Moore, you'd have to assume he does.

Says more about Moore than anyone else.

jamboinglasgow

I do think that any signing we make this window should be only loans, unless a player is available who would strengthen our team in the Premiership.

The summer would be the time to do major surgery on the team, quite a lot out of contract and others we might be able to move on. If planning can start now then we should be looking to build a strong balanced squad.

33 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

I know nothing about him mate. Sort of hope we're aiming higher though, and that we sign someone we've at least heard of. 

3 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

:jj_facepalm:

They also need money and, like us, they won't find it easy to offload to give them financial elbow room.

10 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Signing Brophy would be great business. Hopefully McCulloch can swing it for us having signed him previously.

Forgot about Jig... Good shout and hopefully something that could sway him towards Hearts... 

Perfect time for him to go to England (Brophy). Had a good grounding in Scottish football and played a solid amount of games. He will surely opt for a club in English Championship.

In saying that though just checked through Daza's post and he did state a Scotland cap is far into contract talks with us. Brophy fits that category.

Edited by Goodfella

1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Surely can't rate the other two higher. 

I'm guessing they did as they brought them in knowing Moore was already here

1 hour ago, Goodfella said:

Perfect time for him to go to England (Brophy). Had a good grounding in Scottish football and played a solid amount of games. He will surely opt for a club in English Championship.

In saying that though just checked through Daza's post and he did state a Scotland cap is far into contract talks with us. Brophy fits that category.

Brophy, Cummings, Greg Stewart, Jordan Rhodes, and Chris Maguire were the ones I came up with when I looked into realistic / "available" (to talk) targets. Brophy is an obvious one for us to look at, Cummings always comes up and I'm sick hearing about him lol so hated having to drop his name in there but he is a Scottish international cap, he is a striker, and he is soon to be out of contract. Stewart and Rhodes I assumed would be pie in the sky because of wages, maybe not so much Stewart at this stage in his career and maybe we could even get him on loan for the rest of the season but I would imagine Rhodes is on decent money and could probably still pick up a club down south. Maguire might be a bit of a curve ball but he was at Oxford while Robbie was at MK and was a regular scorer in L1. So I suppose either one of them could be our "man in talks" really.

I think Daz said we were also in talks with a winger who was also capped for Scotland, so I did the same thing as above. All I could find there was Gary McKay-Steven and Ikechi Anya. 

I'd like to see us table a bid for this Robert laddie at Airdrie. Moore + £ might tempt them. If not then Jordan Jones on loan for the rest of the season would be worth a punt.

Rocky jamboa

Brophy would be a good signing for us. I thought he was better than Jordan Jones in the killie team and was surprised rangers went for him instead of Brophy. 

Hungry hippo

I like Brophy. I think he is a similar level to Boyce although different style. Was released as a youngster by Hibs so would be nice if he had a point to prove against them.

EXCLUSIVE: Championship duo battling Scottish quartet for free striker (teamtalk.com)

Barnsley had already shown an interest in the 24-year-old – who has been capped by Scotland – and now they are ready to offer him a pre-contract in January.

A number of Championship rivals are also believed to be looking including Luton, but he will also have the chance to remain in Scotland.

We understand Aberdeen, Hibernian, Hearts and St Mirren are all looking to open talks with him over a free transfer move in the summer.

Brophy recently reached 100 league appearances for Kilmarnock. In that time, he has scored 29 goals.

So far this season, he has scored two goals from eight starts in the Scottish Premiership. Last season, he managed nine goals from 24 starts.

Hopefully this window allows us to move on a few players as well, we definitely need to be looking at players who would improve us and certainly be good premiership players 

Arthur Morgan
1 hour ago, Hungry hippo said:

I like Brophy. I think he is a similar level to Boyce although different style. Was released as a youngster by Hibs so would be nice if he had a point to prove against them.

I would imagine that would definitely put him off signing for them. Maybe he'll be our Robbo and join us to stuff them 😊

Edited by Arthur Morgan

On 31/12/2020 at 23:18, hmfc_liam06 said:

Who to trust more...

Robbie Neilson, former footballer and current manager.

Or some radges on Kickback.

**** it, start Moore. 

Yeah i suppose, or to continue to give the odd appearance to Frear, and Roberts 🤔

Wasn’t going to post but I know some appreciate any info passed on, Robbie had a meeting with budge and savage to discuss what players should be offered new deals and targets for the summer and a list of 15/20 players have been identified of course not all signing! Need to make that clear so I don’t get backlash when we don’t announce 20 players in July :). A central defender is head priority while talks with ginnelly are also expected to go well. Kingsley is happy here and happy with the offer but seems to be holding out to see if there’s interest down south within the next month. Irving is in talks but also has interest from abroad 

7 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

So no chance whatsoever yet we have history of it, like you say sammon.

WheatfieldWarrior

29 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

So no chance whatsoever yet we have history of it, like you say sammon.

Sammon gets the brunt of the criticism for that period, but the service during that period was shocking. Not one of them, could hit the postcode he was standing in and you could die of old age waiting for a pass from Tony Watt.

WheatfieldWarrior
56 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Wasn’t going to post but I know some appreciate any info passed on, Robbie had a meeting with budge and savage to discuss what players should be offered new deals and targets for the summer and a list of 15/20 players have been identified of course not all signing! Need to make that clear so I don’t get backlash when we don’t announce 20 players in July :). A central defender is head priority while talks with ginnelly are also expected to go well. Kingsley is happy here and happy with the offer but seems to be holding out to see if there’s interest down south within the next month. Irving is in talks but also has interest from abroad 

Kingsley, Ginnelly and Irving alone would be good business.

Phil D. Corners
11 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Signing Brophy would be great business. Hopefully McCulloch can swing it for us having signed him previously.

McCulloch and Brophy share the same agency. 

4 hours ago, Jamboj1 said:

Thanks for that. Appreciated as always 👌

5 hours ago, Jamboj1 said:

Nice. 

Happy to take a pm any time if you have anything you don't fancy posting 😁 I love just about any "gossip" there is about player movement. 

9 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Brophy, Cummings, Greg Stewart, Jordan Rhodes, and Chris Maguire were the ones I came up with when I looked into realistic / "available" (to talk) targets. Brophy is an obvious one for us to look at, Cummings always comes up and I'm sick hearing about him lol so hated having to drop his name in there but he is a Scottish international cap, he is a striker, and he is soon to be out of contract. Stewart and Rhodes I assumed would be pie in the sky because of wages, maybe not so much Stewart at this stage in his career and maybe we could even get him on loan for the rest of the season but I would imagine Rhodes is on decent money and could probably still pick up a club down south. Maguire might be a bit of a curve ball but he was at Oxford while Robbie was at MK and was a regular scorer in L1. So I suppose either one of them could be our "man in talks" really.

I think Daz said we were also in talks with a winger who was also capped for Scotland, so I did the same thing as above. All I could find there was Gary McKay-Steven and Ikechi Anya. 

I'd like to see us table a bid for this Robert laddie at Airdrie. Moore + £ might tempt them. If not then Jordan Jones on loan for the rest of the season would be worth a punt.

Barry McKay on the poss winger list 

15 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

:jj_facepalm:

All the love for Brophy.  Don’t complain if John Sutton MK II turns up if we get him 

Leveins Battalion

Folk not understanding here what Brophy is,he is an absolute workhorse,a graftedr for the team.

I would be very happy if we got him.

19 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Folk not understanding here what Brophy is,he is an absolute workhorse,a graftedr for the team.

I would be very happy if we got him.

Add to that he has pace is still young and like to have a shot at goal from outside the box.

He would offer options we currently dont have so I would take him.

12 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Forgot about Jig... Good shout and hopefully something that could sway him towards Hearts... 

Was Savage at Hamilton also when they signed Brophy??

Possibly....

47 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Brophy is a worker but if English championship sides are interested then we have no chance 

Correct.

It's increasingly difficult for Scottish clubs to poach players from other Scottish clubs as the player generally has ambitions to play in England. We should be looking at players who are currently in England and maybe fancy coming back up the road.

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Correct.

It's increasingly difficult for Scottish clubs to poach players from other Scottish clubs as the player generally has ambitions to play in England. We should be looking at players who are currently in England and maybe fancy coming back up the road.

You mean guys like Berra, Walker, Naismith, Boyce, Kingsley, Roberts and Frear ?

Think we have that area well covered.

Brophy would be a good signing. Most people here sound like they have the right expectations of him. A chosen few will call him the next fish if he doesn't bang in 30 in his first 5 games though. But so be it. I'd be happy with him.

Jack Byrne leaving shamrock rovers this month in a free. I'd be looking at him. Ireland International. Back to back player of the year in Ireland. Attacking midfiekder/wide player. 

16 hours ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

He was fast I give you that. Not sure about being two footed or skilful. 2 goals & 10 assists in 52 appearances isn’t great though 

Certainly didn't happen often enough but , if you watched him , he had all the tools

Which , for me , makes it all the more frustrating

16 hours ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Certainly didn't happen often enough but , if you watched him , he had all the tools

Which , for me , makes it all the more frustrating

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )