January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

I'd be amazed if we see any more than the 1 or 2 that's been muted by Robbie(striker + centre half?)...we still have to cut our cloth accordingly and remain within a championship budget. Heaven forbid there's another shutdown of football and we've just spunked a load of wages on new signings.

No, I think we may see 1 or 2 in and hopefully offloading as much of the dead wood as possible...Bobby, Doyle, Damour at the top of that list. Robbie's already said some of the younger players may go out on loan...that'll also lighten the wage bill. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

15 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agreed. 

The ball can move faster than anyone can run. 

Movement of the ball, intelligence and pass. 

Give me that in a midfielder all day long.

For me we have two in midfield who have that.

Lee is a very intelligent player who can pass the ball. He can find space. He sees a final ball well and he can deliver a good set piece. Missing something vital though in that he’s not a battler, in fact he’s a bit chicken hearted.

Irving has everything Lee has, a bit less intelligent than Lee but a better passer when he sees it and a bit more dig ’I think Irving doesn’t realise how good he is and he gets a wee bit shy of demanding the ball and running a game sometimes, possibly he’s a wee bit in awe of some of the ‘bigger’ personalities in the team like Halliday Haring and Naismith. He needs to walk out there thinking and knowing he’s the best footballer on the park on either side, because quite often he actually is. Might sound strange but Telling Naismith to shut his puss sometimes would be good for his development iMO

Edited by JimmyCant

50 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Where is Damour going ? He’s got over 2 years left on his deal and he seems very happy to sit there getting it for nothing and being ‘injured’  

What do you think the impact on morale would be if we brought in a player and paid him 3 times what everyone else is on ?

Mate, cmon, you can't take that post seriously!!! 🤪🤯

25 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

I'd be amazed if we see any more than the 1 or 2 that's been muted by Robbie(striker + centre half?)...we still have to cut our cloth accordingly and remain within a championship budget. Heaven forbid there's another shutdown of football and we've just spunked a load of wages on new signings.

No, I think we may see 1 or 2 in and hopefully offloading as much of the dead wood as possible...Bobby, Doyle, Damour at the top of that list. Robbie's already said some of the younger players may go out on loan...that'll also lighten the wage bill. 

That is something we need seriously consider, thus making the 1 out 1 in more important - or even 2 out 1 in!

31 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You don’t need pace in midfield in this country. Christ look at Charlie Adam the other night. He works because he has class, a brain and an ability to find space to take the ball and release it effectively. Andy Irving could turn into this type of player with a bit more composure and confidence. 

You need pace just about everywhere else though. Up front, wide and in central defence. 

Agreed but we severely lack runners. Pace can mean a few things. Probably not the right word to use. Quick’s probably more apt. 

Quick on the ball - ours are slow, sluggish and scared to make a forward pass. 

Quick thinking, like Adam the other night. Some of his first time balls took out 2 or 3 of our players. We have nothing like that. 

Quick to react. You see it every game that we are second to most second balls. 

Quick on the counter. When was the last time we scored a goal from a counter attack?

Quick on the cover. Every game we have 3v2 scenarios defensively with zero defensive cover. 

We have issues all over the park (apart from goalkeeper) but our midfield can easily be out ran. If all the midfielders in the league had a race you can bet Irving, Haring, Lee and Halliday would be near last. 

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

That is something we need seriously consider, thus making the 1 out 1 in more important - or even 2 out 1 in!

The squad is still of a size where we could easily do 2 out 1 in. I suppose it’s getting them out that will be the problem. 

24 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Hibs are having a keeper crisis - bobby to the rescue ????

I heard of a young Portuguese keeper who is pretty good. On Man Utd's books. I'd definitely recommend they get him.

26 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Hibs are having a keeper crisis - bobby to the rescue ????

I'd be delighted if Zamal found another club , if it was the vermin it would be hilarious. On the subject of keepers I take it Doyle us still about ? 

36 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Lee is a very intelligent player who can pass the ball. He can find space. He sees a final ball well and he can deliver a good set piece. Missing something vital though in that he’s not a battler, in fact he’s a bit chicken hearted.

Irving has everything Lee has, a bit less intelligent than Lee but a better passer when he sees it and a bit more dig ’I think Irving doesn’t realise how good he is and he gets a wee bit shy of demanding the ball and running a game sometimes, possibly he’s a wee bit in awe of some of the ‘bigger’ personalities in the team like Halliday Haring and Naismith. He needs to walk out there thinking and knowing he’s the best footballer on the park on either side, because quite often he actually is. Might sound strange but Telling Naismith to shut his puss sometimes would be good for his development iMO

Lee has the experience that Irving could learn from. There is a lot more street smart use of his ability by Lee that young Irving needs I think. So I'm happy with both. They really need a battling runner beside them though. So.eone who fights, tackles, passes short and makes space for them. As both are not fighters for the middle of the park and need to be given space to play.

Barney bulge
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Where is Damour going ? He’s got over 2 years left on his deal and he seems very happy to sit there getting it for nothing and being ‘injured’  

What do you think the impact on morale would be if we brought in a player and paid him 3 times what everyone else is on ?

Are all players paid the same are they ? Do you think harings getting the same 6 k a week Boyce is on 
or wighton getting the same as Naismith ?

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

You don’t need pace in midfield in this country. Christ look at Charlie Adam the other night. He works because he has class, a brain and an ability to find space to take the ball and release it effectively. Andy Irving could turn into this type of player with a bit more composure and confidence. 

You need pace just about everywhere else though. Up front, wide and in central defence. 

Are wide players not midfielders ?

Barney bulge
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Aye, and if he can't get a game now then we've got to wonder what he's actually doing here... Berra will have an influence on the pitch but there's only so much advice and instructions you can take from someone who is making a bit of a calamity of himself. 

Very much doubt our wage structure would allow for this sort of thing. That'd be about £10k p/w lol and we haven't paid players that kind of money since some mad Russian people were sitting in the main stand lighting cigars with £50 notes. I'd offer him about £5-6k p/w. I don't think we could/should pay much more than that to be honest. Gallagher's stock will have risen because of his performances for Scotland so while I would love to sign him I think he might get some good offers down south. A cheaper and maybe just as effective alternative for me would be Stuart Findlay from Kilmarnock (maybe we could use the Jig connection...). 

Yeah probably is out of our price range now. 
re the crazy wages think you will only have to go back as far as Glenn whelan. 

22 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

Lee has the experience that Irving could learn from. There is a lot more street smart use of his ability by Lee that young Irving needs I think. So I'm happy with both. They really need a battling runner beside them though. So.eone who fights, tackles, passes short and makes space for them. As both are not fighters for the middle of the park and need to be given space to play.

Irving still has a bit to learn but he is still a better player than Lee and at least the lad has a bit of dig about him unlike Lee who is a whimp of a player.

Yes Lee he has a bit of technical ability  and has the odd nice touch or delivery but he can't jump has no aggression about him and has no legs all of which you need for Scottish football.

The level he played at in England gives players more time on the ball and that suits his style much better.

10 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Are wide players not midfielders ?

Errrr No. since they don’t play in midfield. They play wide. On the wing. Not in the middle.

Bad Religion
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Errrr No. since they don’t play in midfield. They play wide. On the wing. Not in the middle.

:cornette:

19 minutes ago, Barney bulge said:

Are all players paid the same are they ? Do you think harings getting the same 6 k a week Boyce is on 

I’ve no idea how much any player at Hearts is earning so I’ll need to give way to your intimate inside knowledge known to very few, you apparently being one of them. I know we have some form of wage ceiling and structure but that’s about it. I don’t know how much it is.

Just now, JimmyCant said:

Well in my book and many others any player who sets up across midfield is a midfielder and that includes wingers.

I think what you should be referring to is Central Midfielder. However you cited Charlie Adam as an example and he caused our problems from wide left.

If you play say a 4-4-2 formation the back four are defenders albeit two are center backs and two full backs.

The Four in midfiled are midfielders maybe two central and two wide which you can call wingers but they are still midfielders.

The two up front are classed as strikers.

29 minutes ago, Barney bulge said:

Hahaha. No chance

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Purely pedantic point but I'd say wingers are forwards in more advanced formation such as a 4-3-3 for example. In a 4-4-2 they would be classed as wide midfielders, ie left midfield and right midfield. 

It's irrelevant anyway. Folk would generally call a wide midfielder a winger.

Neil Dongcaster
2 minutes ago, Musemic said:

Hahaha. No chance

Doesn’t sound unreasonable to me. We were paying Lafferty more than Rangers offered him.

Infact, Lafferty said to hearts he wanted x amount per week to sign, Hearts came back and offered more than he wanted!!! Sums up our recruitment.

3 minutes ago, pointon said:

So any transfer rumours?

Bored today so checked out Pie and Bovril and fan on there said Gary Mackay-Steven is signing for Dons. Said it was between them and us but Dons have edged it. Not too upset by that if true, would rather we focussed on younger players with a bit of quality. 

2 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

Bored today so checked out Pie and Bovril and fan on there said Gary Mackay-Steven is signing for Dons. Said it was between them and us but Dons have edged it. Not too upset by that if true, would rather we focussed on younger players with a bit of quality. 

They can have him for me. He is another that hardly ever turns up. A good player on his day but just like many those days are few and far between.

Barney bulge
19 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’ve no idea how much any player at Hearts is earning so I’ll need to give way to your intimate inside knowledge known to very few, you apparently being one of them. I know we have some form of wage ceiling and structure but that’s about it. I don’t know how much it is.

It was widely reported hearts broke the bank to get Boyce to help keep us up.

anyway if no one knows what the players are each on how can it effect team morale ? 

9 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Doesn’t sound unreasonable to me. We were paying Lafferty more than Rangers offered him.

Infact, Lafferty said to hearts he wanted x amount per week to sign, Hearts came back and offered more than he wanted!!! Sums up our recruitment.

Why would Hearts offer someone more than they wanted? 

Neil Dongcaster
Just now, DG_HMFC said:

No idea. 

Edit - This isn’t some ITK type post, Lafferty was laughing about it on an Open Goal podcast.

Edited by Neil Dongcaster

4 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

If it was between the two clubs he was always going to go back to what he knows. I'd still take him but don't seem as bothered about it as much as i would've a couple of years ago. I would've taken him in a heartbeat back then. Handy player to have around as he's two-footed and can drift inside from either wing, exactly what we needed at the time as we lacked goals. Have to say though, if it had been between us and Hibs i get the feeling he would've chose them as well so either way i don't think he will play for Hearts in his career. It's becoming more of a long shot now but, you never know.

5 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

No idea. 

Edit - This isn’t some ITK type post, Lafferty was laughing about it on an Open Goal podcast.

****ing bonkers.

5 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

I know it sounds crazy but Lafferty said on his interview that he was offered more than he expected, or asked for. If you want to see his full interview, or any of the other ex-Hearts players that've done one with Si Ferry, check out YouTube's Open Goal.

Some great interviews with David Templeton, Steve Fulton, Paul Hartley and others.

18 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

Cheers 👍

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

I know it sounds crazy but Lafferty said on his interview that he was offered more than he expected, or asked for. If you want to see his full interview, or any of the other ex-Hearts players that've done one with Si Ferry, check out YouTube's Open Goal.

Some great interviews with David Templeton, Steve Fulton, Paul Hartley and others.

I'll give them a watch. 

And yeah, it's crazy to be offering more money than a player expects.  Levein really did blow some amount of money.

Gordon Ramsay
41 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Siphiwe Tshabalala
On 03/01/2021 at 11:21, GinRummy said:

Why Ireland in particular. 

Our new DoF has knowledge of the league and has signed both youth and senior players from Ireland.

15 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I think budge or levein mentioned this too.

It was about motivating him to do well. I can't remember the details but think there was some penalty to be paid if he didn't meet certain targets

8 minutes ago, Barney bulge said:

Google it.

it was widely reported at the time 

Boyce is a good signing. Good player. What's he doing at Hearts, eh?

1 minute ago, jr ewing said:

Stepping stone. 

May be, Jr. More than Hearts fans interested in his success or failure at the club. 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
2 hours ago, Barney bulge said:

No idea why they haven’t played smith at centre half.

surely they could till end of season (solve the Berra / popescu issue) 

he was mom there against Celtic at tynecastle one time. so in the championship would be no problem to him.

get a couple of centre halves on pre contracts. As said before ideally Gallagher of Motherwell if it’s not an impossibility. 

if joe savage is worth his salt he can maybe pay him the 5k a week we’d need out his own pocket to show us how keen he is to do a good job getting the right players in 

Hold on, you want our new Sporting Director to directly fund part of the wage for a new signing? 😂

I'm not sure how much you think Savage will be getting paid but it won't be enough to cover that. Never mind the fact that Berra, Walker and Damour will be on around £10k a week combined and Declan Gallagher is definitely not worth that sort of money.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, JamboAndrew said:

I heard of a young Portuguese keeper who is pretty good. On Man Utd's books. I'd definitely recommend they get him.

Is he not throwing them in for Huddersfield at the minute? 

53 minutes ago, Barney bulge said:

It was widely reported hearts broke the bank to get Boyce to help keep us up.

anyway if no one knows what the players are each on how can it effect team morale ? 

You cannot say "it was widely reported" and "if no one knows what the players are each on" in the same sentence.  Sounds contradictory to me.

Pasquale for King
47 minutes ago, jambonian said:

But it was less in the second season for some reason, he was always leaving. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Agreed. 

kingantti1874
27 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

May be, Jr. More than Hearts fans interested in his success or failure at the club. 

a stepping stone to who? We are the biggest club Boyce has ever played for!! By a long long way.. I can’t really see him playing for a bigger club at this stage of his career 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

a stepping stone to who? We are the biggest club Boyce has ever played for!! By a long long way.. I can’t really see him playing for a bigger club at this stage of his career 

I wasn't agreeing with the poster. Boyce was a curious case. An actual player we signed who had proven his worth elsewhere! Hence, he gets the attention of both Hearts fans and opposition fans

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Looks like he was in goals for Motherwell vs Hamilton! 

Edited by iainmac

25 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He isn't playing for them for obvious reasons, mainly due to the fact he is utter pants.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

He isn't playing for them for obvious reasons, mainly due to the fact he is utter pants.

Knowing our luck he'd go to Hibs on loan and end up being POTY

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )