January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

12 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I get that and whilst I don’t rate them highly Gogic, Hallberg and McGinn seem to be liked. McGinn in particular is your steady pro that most teams need a few of. 

As for Wright were we not interested?or was it the other St.J winger that went to Aberdeen? Anyway I don’t see it with him. 

Don’t get me wrong we have made good signings - Naismith - and been unlucky with others - Whelan. 

In preseason we made some good signings - Gordon, Kingsley and Halliday. More of these will be great - I’d just like us to pick up a few more with potential. 

You’re thinking about Paul Mcginn (who is also pish imo) but I mentioned Stephen Mcginn who was a jobs for the boys signing by JR.

Gogic is the worst football player in the league. Truly awful. I said as much when they signed him and folk on here were bemoaning the fact we never got him. He’s not played the last half a dozen games for them so looks like the penny has finally dropped.

Hallberg is a nothing football who contributes nothing to games. A ghost.  He’ll be on a decent wage as he had a bit pedigree when he signed. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

18 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I get that and whilst I don’t rate them highly Gogic, Hallberg and McGinn seem to be liked. McGinn in particular is your steady pro that most teams need a few of. 

As for Wright were we not interested?or was it the other St.J winger that went to Aberdeen? Anyway I don’t see it with him. 

Don’t get me wrong we have made good signings - Naismith - and been unlucky with others - Whelan. 

In preseason we made some good signings - Gordon, Kingsley and Halliday. More of these will be great - I’d just like us to pick up a few more with potential. 

Totally agree with this. It is always difficult to bring new signings in to a club and get them playing well staright away but these three have done well.

Bit of a shame about the other three. Ginnelly looks to have something but a bit like Souttar the problem is trying to keep him fit.

Roberts and Frear are so far abject failures. At least Frear will be off at the end of the season but Roberts will still have another year on his deal unless Robbie/Savage can move him on.

It will be interesting to see who if anyone we bring in during January and if we have any departures such as Damour.

I like Robbie but he doesn't half talk some shite...

Roberts - “He’s a pacey winger, very direct and athletic so I’m sure he will fit into the system that we want to play. I’m looking forward to working with him and I’m confident he’ll be a great addition to the squad.”

Frear - “He has done very well. He did very well at Motherwell and when he was down at Forest Green he was doing well until the season was curtailed,” said his would-be manager. “He is a good player and he can be of value to us. He has a great delivery and we will see how that goes.

I forgot Frear even had a trial. I really hope Savage produces. Neither of them are pacey and only Roberts can hit a decent cross if he can be bothered.

48 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

It's all about opinions.

Berra is finished and no matter how much I admire his determination, and what he has done for us over his career, it doesn't change that fact.  

Halkett isn't a centre half.  His positional sense is awful / his lapses in concentration have cost us.  He isn't that great in the air either at the back (but can grab a goal or two down the other end).

If we are going with a small squad then Halkett could be very useful next season. If we choose to have a back three he seems to work better in that position. He could slot in as defensive cover or as a striker off the bench if we are chasing a goal in the last ten minutes. We need better as a first choice central defender. 

6 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Roberts - “He’s a pacey winger, very direct and athletic so I’m sure he will fit into the system that we want to play. I’m looking forward to working with him and I’m confident he’ll be a great addition to the squad.”

Frear - “He has done very well. He did very well at Motherwell and when he was down at Forest Green he was doing well until the season was curtailed,” said his would-be manager. “He is a good player and he can be of value to us. He has a great delivery and we will see how that goes.

I forgot Frear even had a trial. I really hope Savage produces. Neither of them are pacey and only Roberts can hit a decent cross if he can be bothered.

Pity you never said at the time. Hindsight eh?

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

If we are going with a small squad then Halkett could be very useful next season. If we choose to have a back three he seems to work better in that position. He could slot in as defensive cover or as a striker off the bench if we are chasing a goal in the last ten minutes. We need better as a first choice central defender. 

Halkett looks to me as if he has put on weight again. At the start of the season he was looking quite trim but he seems to have bulked up again which is never a good thing during a season.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Halkett looks to me as if he has put on weight again. At the start of the season he was looking quite trim but he seems to have bulked up again which is never a good thing during a season.

Can’t say I’ve noticed this time but I have noticed he seems to put on then lose weight at times. I’m not looking to have a go at Halkett, he has some strong parts to his game but he is error prone and strays out of position. 

3 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Pity you never said at the time. Hindsight eh?

If they were thoroughly scouted you'd like to think they would have a rough idea that Roberts isn't pacey or athletic. Moore is quicker than both of them and showed a lot more before lockdown. And they've played that bad that he's deserved a chance this season...and I bet Robbie's reasoning is something petty.

Gordon Ramsay
24 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Pacey winger very direct 🤣🤣🤣

As soon as he sees a defender he turns back and passes it to someone else as quick as possible, same with Frear. 

Two terrible footballers. 

25 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

That's what they both told him. Pants on fire.

12 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

If they were thoroughly scouted you'd like to think they would have a rough idea that Roberts isn't pacey or athletic. Moore is quicker than both of them and showed a lot more before lockdown. And they've played that bad that he's deserved a chance this season...and I bet Robbie's reasoning is something petty.

To be fair Roberts could be pacy and athletic, we don’t know. He’s never bothered his arse getting out of second gear.

Don’t think anybody could’ve predicted Frear being so pish. He did ok on trial, we needed more strength in depth out wide so he was offered a 1 year deal on modest wages and took it. I don’t blame anyone for signing him on the terms he’s on but if Robbie continues to play him in the new year he will have questions to answer. 

Moore is destined for a career in the lower leagues. I agree he deserves a couple of chances though. 

LarrysRightFoot
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

You’re thinking about Paul Mcginn (who is also pish imo) but I mentioned Stephen Mcginn who was a jobs for the boys signing by JR.

Gogic is the worst football player in the league. Truly awful. I said as much when they signed him and folk on here were bemoaning the fact we never got him. He’s not played the last half a dozen games for them so looks like the penny has finally dropped.

Hallberg is a nothing football who contributes nothing to games. A ghost.  He’ll be on a decent wage as he had a bit pedigree when he signed. 

Yeh it was Paul I was thinking - too many McGinn’s.

I don’t rate Gogic or Hallberg personally but some do. I mean Haring or Gogic is a no brainier. As I said before though Doidge and Newell have turned it round. 

Call me a dreamer but I think there may be a player in Roberts - wether we ever see it is another question. He could just be another who has underestimated the Scottish game and never gets going. 

Byyy The Light
23 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Yeh it was Paul I was thinking - too many McGinn’s.

I don’t rate Gogic or Hallberg personally but some do. I mean Haring or Gogic is a no brainier. As I said before though Doidge and Newell have turned it round. 

Call me a dreamer but I think there may be a player in Roberts - wether we ever see it is another question. He could just be another who has underestimated the Scottish game and never gets going. 

Bang on the cash with this. He’s the type who will go back down south and say the standard is crap up here because he wants to swan about and admire his own passes. Like that silky guy at fives who is useless at 11 a side. 

Edited by Byyy The Light

There are a few decent players available on pre contracts in January but there will also be a load both down south and around Europe. Hopefully we have had scouts checking up on potential targets and we can free up enough money to tempt them to sign on.

It is very easy after the fact to criticise signings like people are doing with the likes of Damour, Frear and Roberts but there was downright joy on the forum when we signed them. I'm sure it happens at all teams but fans seem to think that every player they sign is going to be better than what we currently have and will make us a better team. Now while on paper some players look like they are just what we need and they are an upgrade on what we have, it's not always the case. I made the point when we signed Ikpeazu and Hibs signed Doidge.  Everyone was saying that Ikpeazu was much better but imo Doidge was and is the better player.

We have signed several players in recent years who have done very well at other clubs but haven't done it for us. So while it's fun to speculate about players signing until we see them play a few games we should temper our excitement. We have signed far more duds in the last 5 years than gems.

I'm sure Robbie knows that the squad currently is more than good enough to win the Championship but we will need to strengthen to do well in the top flight. 

I feel that we need to sign quite a few players and move a good number on too. I think we need 2 LBs (1 of which I hope is Kingsley) 1 potentially 2 RBs (If we could get O'Donnell on a free, then it wouldn't surprise me if we sold Smith especially if someone was offering a 7 figure sum). We need at least 1 more CB depending on what happens with Soutar injury wise as well as Popescu and Berra. I think for the SPL we are too lightweight in midfield too. Probably 3 or 4 new players required which includes wingers, one of which is hopefully Ginnelly. And we need at least 1 striker. Yes a lot of players required but I wouldn't be expecting this to be completed until next January, unless we got very lucky with pre-contract/free transfers.

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

It'd be far more worrying if Robbie had signed them and said:

Roberts - "Lazy and largely ineffective.  Might be pacey but we'll never see it as he just passes the ball back rather than take a player on"

Frear - "More of a trier than Roberts, but generally quite shite"

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

As i've said before, Halkett is a useful player to have around the squad. For me he's not a natural defender but handy to have incase we have a shortage through injuries or suspensions at the back. He's the type of player who likes to get involved and i see him more as a defensive midfielder linking with wide players and midfielders, he's not scared to tackle and he's decent at set-pieces from corners and free-kicks. Also very handy to have around as an auxiliary striker (his original  position when he started out) so overall he's an excellent squad player and gives his all. 

As for central defence...this will definitely need looked at long-term for the Premier. I'd be looking to Dunne who's on his last year down south. Perfect replacement for Berra, left-sided, good in the air and decent with the ball at his feet. Also young enough to make an impression and make us money a couple of years down the line. It may well be out of our financial bracket but if you don't ask you don't get, especially when (after he left) he said he loved it at Hearts and would love to play for us again sometime. We'll also need a right-sided defender as we can't rely on Souttar with all the injury problems. I can't see Popescu being here long-term so with Berra getting on and Halkett not natural to that position we are very short at the back in terms of numbers.

4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

As i've said before, Halkett is a useful player to have around the squad. For me he's not a natural defender but handy to have incase we have a shortage through injuries or suspensions at the back. He's the type of player who likes to get involved and i see him more as a defensive midfielder linking with wide players and midfielders, he's not scared to tackle and he's decent at set-pieces from corners and free-kicks. Also very handy to have around as an auxiliary striker (his original  position when he started out) so overall he's an excellent squad player and gives his all. 

As for central defence...this will definitely need looked at long-term for the Premier. I'd be looking to Dunne who's on his last year down south. Perfect replacement for Berra, left-sided, good in the air and decent with the ball at his feet. Also young enough to make an impression and make us money a couple of years down the line. It may well be out of our financial bracket but if you don't ask you don't get, especially when (after he left) he said he loved it at Hearts and would love to play for us again sometime. We'll also need a right-sided defender as we can't rely on Souttar with all the injury problems. I can't see Popescu being here long-term so with Berra getting on and Halkett not natural to that position we are very short at the back in terms of numbers.

That pretty much sums the whole situation up perfectly. No idea of Dunnes worth or wage expectations but I’d certainly welcome him back. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

That pretty much sums the whole situation up perfectly. No idea of Dunnes worth or wage expectations but I’d certainly welcome him back. 

It's probably workable to sort out a deal. There will be a few players leaving which frees up some wages. If you think of the likes of Damour, Frear, Roberts, Zlamal, White, Cochrane, maybe Wighton, Moore, Popescu and even Berra moving on...that's a lot of money saved. It would offer a statement of intent to get someone like Dunne in that Hearts will no longer be bringing in has-beens or projects. Trims the squad for another two or three quality signings as well as making some space within the squad for the youngsters to show what they can do. 

12 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Good post but I'm starting to think Dunne is getting a bit beyond our wage bracket as he is always on the bench these days.  That suggests Dyche does rate him as his next best CD and is willing to throw him in if necessary.  Liam Lindsay is a name that has popped up often in the past and might be a possible option.

Zlamal

Stewart

Berra

White

Lee

Frear

Wighton are all out of contract and would let go. Maybe keep sign Stewart as cover. 

Would look to move on

Popescu

Brandon

Damour

Roberts

Moore and Henderson just to move on to get game time.

That leaves us with

GK

Gordon

Stone

DF

Souttar

Halkett

Kingsley hopefully!

Smith

MD

Halliday

Haring

Irving Maybe?

Walker

Grinnelly

F

Naismith

Boyce

Possibly ten or more players between now and the summer to get in before next season. Maybe not busy this window. But next is a must!

Edited by johnking123

3 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

True but they are recouping their money on Fernandez. I get we don’t know or analyse their signing as much - but whilst not world beaters duds like Doidge and Newell have turned it round. 

There’s no arguing we have (on the whole) not done well in the transfer market for a number of years. 

Watched them both last night. 

Newell's delivery from set pieces is woeful & he likes a wee dive or two. 

Doidge misses lots of easy chances. 

EEN reporting club in talks with young Lewis Moore re his position with Jan window coming up

He must be beelin when he sees what is keeping him out the squad, never mind the first 11.

Lad deserves better IMHO

LarrysRightFoot
11 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Watched them both last night. 

Newell's delivery from set pieces is woeful & he likes a wee dive or two. 

Doidge misses lots of easy chances. 

I’m not saying I wish we had signed either just that after their initial performances you wouldn’t expect them still to be there. 

A bit like Wighton perhaps - due to various reasons it’s taken time for him to settle in and start to show he could be a player. 

The fact of the matter is dodgy recruitment and a terrible manager (sprinkled with some  bad luck with injuries) have led us to the position we are in. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
2 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

Hibs are shite. 

2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Post of the year imo

It's posted every year and often.  It's almost like there's an agenda on this forum.... 

I do hope so.

16 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

EEN reporting club in talks with young Lewis Moore re his position with Jan window coming up

He must be beelin when he sees what is keeping him out the squad, never mind the first 11.

Lad deserves better IMHO

Yeah, feel a bit sorry for him. He definitely merits a place over Roberts and Frear.

1 minute ago, May one-six said:

Yeah, feel a bit sorry for him. He definitely merits a place over Roberts and Frear.

Agree. Had my doubts if he’d ever make it at the club but he’s better than the wingers that replace him. Nonetheless it may be time for him to move on. 

30 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Zlamal

Stewart

Berra

White

Lee

Frear

Wighton are all out of contract and would let go. Maybe keep sign Stewart as cover. 

Would look to move on

Popescu

Brandon

Damour

Roberts

Moore and Henderson just to move on to get game time.

That leaves us with

GK

Gordon

Stone

DF

Souttar

Halkett

Kingsley hopefully!

Smith

MD

Halliday

Haring

Irving Maybe?

Walker

Grinnelly

F

Naismith

Boyce

Possibly ten or more players between now and the summer to get in before next season. Maybe not busy this window. But next is a must!

If we had those 13 players that you were left with as the base of our squad to go into next season I'd be happy.  

Then we just need to add to it with more quality to take us forward.

I agree with you that outside of those 13 the rest can go.

Kidd’s Boots

How Frear gets game time ahead of Henderson or Moore is beyond me. RN obviously sees more on a day to day basis, but the options of width, energy and sticking to a game plan put them ahead of Frear and Walker on current form for me.

Any players out there like Hartley or Colin Cameron?  I would love to see us sign someone with real drive in central midfield to compliment Harinhg and Irving. Strikes me that Walker is the closest we have to this but he goes missing game after game.

3 minutes ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

How Frear gets game time ahead of Henderson or Moore is beyond me. RN obviously sees more on a day to day basis, but the options of width, energy and sticking to a game plan put them ahead of Frear and Walker on current form for me.

Its because Henderson and Moore are nowhere near good enough,  they've suddenly became decent in some peoples eyes because they're not getting game time. 

Robbie will be giving Frear and Robert's time to settle in but will soon come to the conclusion they too are nowhere near good enough either i would imagine .

55 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Lad deserves better IMHO

He should be embarrassed that Roberts and Frear are ahead of him, not beeling.

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

He should be embarrassed that Roberts and Frear are ahead of him, not beeling.

He doesn't pick the team 

Going by last season decent , 100+% player . Every team needs players like that 

18 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Its because Henderson and Moore are nowhere near good enough,  they've suddenly became decent in some peoples eyes because they're not getting game time. 

Robbie will be giving Frear and Robert's time to settle in but will soon come to the conclusion they too are nowhere near good enough either i would imagine .

I have mostly thought the same however they must really be awful in training if Roberts and Frear show up as better options than them.

Either that or Robbie is just determined to play them because he signed them irrespective of how bad they are which is hard to believe.

Just now, johnthomas said:

He doesn't pick the team 

Going by last season decent , 100+% player . Every team needs players like that 

The fact that Roberts and Frear are consistently in the squad ahead of Moore should tell you all you need to know about Moore.

Neither Henderson or Moore are of the standard we need to be challenging for 3rd spot next season.

We will have yet another clear out this summer and rebuild again.....and we’ll be looking to do it right which is why we’ve brought in a new Sporting Director with 5 months of the season to go.

It is imperative we bring in some real quality players with genuine pace and strength.

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I have mostly thought the same however they must really be awful in training if Roberts and Frear show up as better options than them.

Either that or Robbie is just determined to play them because he signed them irrespective of how bad they are which is hard to believe.

More like it.

Leveins Battalion
Just now, Gordon Ramsay said:

Moore and Henderson are both pish. Just cause Roberts and Frear are also pish it doesn't make those two any better. 

Correct,Henderson is gash beyond belief!!!!!

Will be at Spartans in a year or two.

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

Correct,Henderson is gash beyond belief!!!!!

Will be at Spartans in a year or two.

"Bottom 6 Championship side at best" is how I've heard Henderson described when talking to a current SPFL coach.

1 hour ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Lad deserves better IMHO

Couldn’t agree more. He will be pissed off as he is most definitely better than Frear and Roberts and he isn’t being allowed to develop as these two imposters are in front of him when they shouldn’t be. 

11 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Think hes probably giving them game time against weaker opposition at home hoping they'll come good, I'll be amazed if either start against Dundee.

Ginelly is the only one of the three that might have a future next year imo

A_A wehatethehibs
49 minutes ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

Ah yes you obviously know much more about game plans than the manager who has a >90% win percentage this season. 

Moore and Henderson have not made the cut and should absolutely be looking to leave Hearts in January in search of first team football. Its time for folk to let go of the stendel hysteria / headless chicken approach in which Moore and Henderson looked semi-good in 2 games (broken clock is right twice a day). 

Its been 3-4 years since their debuts and they have not impressed at all if you look at the bigger picture there. Moore is 22 and absolutely needs to be playing now in the best interest of his career. Good luck to them both, best case maybe Falkirk, Airdrie or Partick, but could be East Fife or back to Cowdenbeath or Montrose. 

As for Frear, championship stop gap player, Eckersley/ Keatings of this season. Works hard enough and actually can put a decent ball in the box. Clearly not premiership standard and that’s why he’s only on a 1 season contract so don’t get the hysteria. Just a bit of cover for when we rest the main men. 

Samuel Camazzola
21 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Not sure you have done your homework. Caulker is currently a regular with Alanyaspor who are vying for the Turkish Super League title. He also has an England cap. 

I'm well aware he's in Turkey and fully eligible to play for Scotland. 😉 

Kidd’s Boots
44 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Both Frear and Roberts have contributed the square root of nothing and both were here on trial before contracts were offered. How much more time do they need to settle in? Roberts apparently was carrying a knock several weeks ago but no sign of him getting near the team since. With regards to Henderson and Moore, we know what they will give to the team, 100% and nothing less, which is what we should all expect from anyone wearing the jersey. Frear, Roberts and Walker recently are nowhere near that level of commitment, we can all see it yet RN persists with them. I really hope that his blinkers come off soon regard these 3, and if youth isn't the answer I hope he finds another one. 

Samuel Camazzola
29 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

"Bottom 6 Championship side at best" is how I've heard Henderson described when talking to a current SPFL coach.

Does the coach know there are only 10 sides in the Championship? 😄

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )